PDA

View Full Version : Falwell Says He Won't Back Giuliani

Taco John
04-16-2006, 08:50 PM
As predicted...

Apr 16, 3:13 PM EDT

Falwell Says He Won't Back Giuliani

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Rev. Jerry Falwell doesn't see any Democrat making inroads with evangelical Christian voters in the next presidential election. Potential Republican candidate Rudolph Giuliani, the former New York city mayor, won't be scoring any points with Falwell, either.

"Everybody admires him. And I'll never forget the great things he did on 9/11 and following," Falwell said.

"But, of course, we have, as conservative Christians who take the Bible seriously, we have probably irreconcilable differences on life and family and that kind of thing," Falwell said Sunday on "Late Edition" on CNN.

"I'll never speak an ill word about him because he means so much to America. But, yes, you're right. I couldn't support him for president," he said.

Giuliani supports abortion rights, gay rights and gun control.

Differences between another 2008 contender - Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. - and Falwell, the Baptist minister who founded the conservative Moral Majority, were bridged recently when Falwell asked to meet with McCain.

They discussed the bitter 2000 Republican nomination campaign, during which the senator labeled Falwell an "agent of intolerance" and Falwell sided with McCain's chief rival, George W. Bush.

"By five minutes in, we'd gotten all the old stuff behind us and the air all cleared," Falwell said. "And, you know, John McCain is a strong conservative. He's pro-life. He's strong national defense. He's a national hero. His view on family is just where most conservative Christians' views are. It's just that we had another champion back then."

Not that Falwell is endorsing McCain - yet.

"It's far too early to endorse anybody," he said. "There's a lot of other good guys out there."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FALLWELL_GIULIANI?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-04-16-15-13-31

Simplex3
04-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Is there any reason this is in the Lounge and not DC?

stevieray
04-16-2006, 08:55 PM

gotta be the first to "break the story"..

taco john investigates...tonight at 10.

04-16-2006, 08:55 PM

Because Taco posted it.

Taco John
04-16-2006, 08:57 PM

Accident... Oh well... It's the offseason.

Taco John
04-16-2006, 08:58 PM
gotta be the first to "break the story"..

taco john investigates...tonight at 10.

Stevie Ray improperly wipes leaving him with the reddest ass this side of the Atlantic. Film at 11.

Rain Man
04-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This has to be a huge relief to Giuliani.

stevieray
04-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Stevie Ray improperly wipes leaving him with the reddest ass this side of the Atlantic. Film at 11.

it's ok geraldo..we know you mean well.

Taco John
04-16-2006, 09:03 PM

Not really... The Evangelical voting block in this country is one of the most active and powerful ones there is, even if the political leader is a knob the likes of Jesse Jackson.

listopencil
04-16-2006, 09:05 PM

No kidding. The backing of Fallwell would most likely strike a candidate off of my list. Fallwell is a nut job.

listopencil
04-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Not really... The Evangelical voting block in this country is one of the most active and powerful ones there is, even if the political leader is a knob the likes of Jesse Jackson.

The hippies and freaks really need to get more organized.

KCChiefsFan88
04-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Looks Falwell is going to back McCain.

Poor McCain he is going to have all those Jesus zombies watching his every move

Mr. Kotter
04-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Looks Falwell is going to back McCain.

Poor McCain he is going to have all those Jesus zombies watching his every move
I can't see the fundies backing McCain; they'll likely support someone like Santorum or Hatch in the primaries.

Deberg_1990
04-17-2006, 12:01 AM

I consider myself a Christian, but i dont just blindly vote whoever my church decides to endorse, although i know alot of people who do vote that way. I think its kind of sad actually. I think people should make their own minds up for themselves. Yes, Jesse Jackson is a complete tool. I find it funny that an "alledged" Man of God had an affair for almost 10 years.

mikey23545
04-17-2006, 04:20 AM

I think Taco and Jaz are an "item" now....

Bootlegged
04-17-2006, 05:06 AM
Move this shit to the batcave.