PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like for KC to draft?

Dunit35
04-18-2006, 09:32 AM
What athlete would you choose in the first round with the #20 pick. If you think there is someone else select other. I didn't put the obvious players who will already be gone.

Poll forthcoming.

ct
04-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Tamba Hali

I do not think 20 is too high either.

If by chance he's gone, or we trade down and he's gone then, Jonathan Joeseph would be my pick.

SBK
04-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm gonna go with Cromartie or Hali. I picked Cromartie, but I'd be cool with Hali as well.

This is of course if Ngata or Mario Williams are off the board..........:)

ct
04-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Maybe SuperMario will have an unfortunate incident in the next week. Maybe a routine traffic stop in a friends car with a little baggie in the glove compartment. :)

Dunit35
04-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Maybe SuperMario will have an unfortunate incident in the next week. Maybe a routine traffic stop in a friends car with a little baggie in the glove compartment. :)

Sounds like a job for gochiefs.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 10:40 AM
If either Lawson or Jimmy Willaims are there, we should be selecting them.

beer bacon
04-18-2006, 10:42 AM

I definately agree with this. I am on the Wimbley bandwagon too. All those guys will probably be gone before they get to us, but I can hope.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Of course, I'm assuming that Williams would be a safety and not a CB.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2006, 10:50 AM
you'd take manny lawson at #20?

:hmmm:

beer bacon
04-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Of course, I'm assuming that Williams would be a safety and not a CB.

Williams would be fine at safety. I would be pretty depressed if we ended up drafting a guy like Greg Blues that just ended up being Greg Wesley Version 2.0.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 11:00 AM
you'd take manny lawson at #20?

:hmmm:

I might. He reminds me of Shawne Merriman, and even though we run a 4-3, I think we could find a spot for him.

That being said, I don't see how he gets out of the top 15, so we probably won't have to worry about it.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Williams would be fine at safety. I would be pretty depressed if we ended up drafting a guy like Greg Blues that just ended up being Greg Wesley Version 2.0.

I don't see Greg Blue as a Wesley clone at all. He's much bigger and stronger. Plus he played at a big school against better competition.

Chiefnj
04-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Of the players listed it would be between Hali and Hill.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2006, 11:17 AM
I might. He reminds me of Shawne Merriman, and even though we run a 4-3, I think we could find a spot for him.

That being said, I don't see how he gets out of the top 15, so we probably won't have to worry about it.

Merriman seems alot more physical than Lawson imo

i wonder whether Manny can handle the heat

RedThat
04-18-2006, 11:28 AM
What would I like KC to draft?

-First off, I'd like to see 2 things outta this draft. We gotta get a passrusher, and a CB that can cover opposite side of Surtain. We have to improve our passrush, and coverage units.

-With that being said, I'd like to see us go in the direction of DE, CB, and S

-and it all depends on who is available by the time we pick, and how this draft will pan out by the time we pick at 20.

-I think Manny Lawson will be gone by the time we pick at 20, and personally I think he is the best passrusher in the draft. Hali could be available, and I think Kiwinauka will be there when we pick.

-I'd like to see us trade down about 5 spots, and get our 4th rounder back.
Hopefully, Hali will be there at 25. If he is, don't hesitate to take him because he is the best passrusher at the time when we pick.

-then, I'd like to see us use our 4th rounder as possible trade bait. And trade up EARLY in the 2nd round to select the best CB possible. I don't feel confident enough to say a GOOD CB will be available when we pick in the middle of the 2nd round.

Chiefnj
04-18-2006, 11:28 AM
The idea of Gunther trying to "find a spot" for Lawson and trying to develop a new scheme just to give a rookie playing time gives me the heebie jeebie's.

I'll be happy with some basics, like rushing the passer in less than 7 seconds, or covering the teams #1 receiver with someone other than the nickle back.

beer bacon
04-18-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't see Greg Blue as a Wesley clone at all. He's much bigger and stronger. Plus he played at a big school against better competition.

Strength is very relative for safeties. I see him as hard hitter that misses tackles he should make, and as a guy that can make plays in coverage, but will also get beat when he shouldn't. He doesn't seem like an especially consistant tackler or a great coverage guy, and those are the two things we need at safety right now.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2006, 11:55 AM
The idea of Gunther trying to "find a spot" for Lawson and trying to develop a new scheme just to give a rookie playing time gives me the heebie jeebie's.

Falcon babeeeeeeee!!

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 11:58 AM

I'll be happy with some basics, like rushing the passer in less than 7 seconds, or covering the teams #1 receiver with someone other than the nickle back.

Yeah, I forgot about Gunther there for a minute. Thanks for dredging up a deliberately repressed memory...

ct
04-18-2006, 01:11 PM
What would I like KC to draft?

1-First off, I'd like to see 2 things outta this draft. We gotta get a passrusher, and a CB that can cover opposite side of Surtain. We have to improve our passrush, and coverage units.

2-With that being said, I'd like to see us go in the direction of DE, CB, and S

3-and it all depends on who is available by the time we pick, and how this draft will pan out by the time we pick at 20.

4-I think Manny Lawson will be gone by the time we pick at 20, and personally I think he is the best passrusher in the draft. Hali could be available, and I think Kiwinauka will be there when we pick.

5-I'd like to see us trade down about 5 spots, and get our 4th rounder back.
Hopefully, Hali will be there at 25. If he is, don't hesitate to take him because he is the best passrusher at the time when we pick.

6-then, I'd like to see us use our 4th rounder as possible trade bait. And trade up EARLY in the 2nd round to select the best CB possible. I don't feel confident enough to say a GOOD CB will be available when we pick in the middle of the 2nd round.

I agree with all the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th(in principal, see below) points, these are the same things I want. In point #4, I'm leery of Kiwi, as a 1 trick pony, but if we move down enough to be good value I'm cool with it.

Point 6 - a 4th rounder is not going to get you far up in the 2nd. Your example to move to 25, which is the Giants pick, and gets us thier 4th rounder. That pick, #124, would move us up 5 spots in the 2nd round. That is according to the value charts.

Coogs has posted in a cool trade scenario that gets us the Jets' 1st+2nd (29 and 35), for our 1st+2nd (20 and 54). If we move down, this is what I would love to see. Maybe the Jets see a RB they must have, and want to jump in front of the Pats (21) and Broncos (22) to get him.

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Hali would be the most likely choice, but if Jimmy Williams is there then the Chiefs will get a steal for the 2nd year in a row.

Spicy McHaggis
04-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Tamba Hali

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Hali would be the most likely choice, but if Jimmy Williams is there then the Chiefs will get a steal for the 2nd year in a row.

Williams is, more and more, the guy I want.

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Williams is, more and more, the guy I want.

I want him too, I dont know if he will be there for us. He is the best corner in the draft by far.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 03:14 PM
I want him too, I dont know if he will be there for us. He is the best corner in the draft by far.

I don't want him to play corner. I think he's going to be a stud at FS.

ct
04-18-2006, 03:34 PM

He's already stated, which rubbed many NFL folks the wrong way, that he wants to be a Safety. If he's there @20, then forget Hali, take Williams!! I just don't think he will be there, but we'll see. There's always somebody that slips more than expected.

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2006, 03:48 PM
He's already stated, which rubbed many NFL folks the wrong way, that he wants to be a Safety. If he's there @20, then forget Hali, take Williams!! I just don't think he will be there, but we'll see. There's always somebody that slips more than expected.

Thats exactly what I want.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
so what we gonna do with all the other safeties we have?

greg wesley is in the middle of his contract ... we gonna cut him and go cold turkey with the rookie or draft the kid and have wesley looking over his shoulder for another year.

jerome woods still has several years on his contract

*insert the rest of our safety mess here*

can we really go safety considering doing so will force how much dead money?

Coogs
04-18-2006, 06:00 PM

Here is a pretty good article on safties from Gil Brandt at nlf.com...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/expert/brandt/s

Chiefnj
04-18-2006, 07:32 PM

greg wesley is in the middle of his contract ... we gonna cut him and go cold turkey with the rookie or draft the kid and have wesley looking over his shoulder for another year.

With Herm's strength being DB's and Guinta gone I would think that with better coaching guys like Bartee, Battle and Wesley should develop into solid players.

Mecca
04-18-2006, 07:48 PM

If anything the Woods and Wesley contracts and the players they are need to be cut from the team.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Broderick Bunkley or Tamba Hali, maybe hope that Ko Simpson or Bing is available at 52.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2006, 08:08 PM
If anything the Woods and Wesley contracts and the players they are need to be cut from the team.

even if cutting those players COST us cap room?

Mecca
04-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Well it depends on how much cap room it is. If it's something minor we can afford to take this year, seeing as we aren't signing anyone, than yes I'd say for the longterm it's worth it.

Personally I think it's time to start eating some of these bad contracts so we can get that cap room back to use on players who actually contribute.

htismaqe
04-19-2006, 07:26 AM

We paid Woods to sit on the bench last year, we can do the same with Wesley this year.

htismaqe
04-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Well it depends on how much cap room it is. If it's something minor we can afford to take this year, seeing as we aren't signing anyone, than yes I'd say for the longterm it's worth it.

Personally I think it's time to start eating some of these bad contracts so we can get that cap room back to use on players who actually contribute.

Exactly. We're not going to sign anyone because Lamar doesn't want to dish out cash. It's the perfect year to absorb dead money because we have cap room that we won't use.