PDA

View Full Version : K-State basketball gets oral commitment from Blake Young

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 04:43 PM
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/14370870.htm

K-State basketball gets oral commitment from Blake Young
BY JEFFREY MARTIN
The Wichita Eagle
Bob Huggins has landed another highly regarded recruit, this one from the junior college ranks.

Blake Young, a 6-foot-2 combo guard from Daytona Beach (Fla.) Community College, gave an oral commitment to play for Kansas State earlier this afternoon, according to Daytona coach Brad Underwood.

He chose the Wildcats over Creighton, Washington and St. John's.

Young and his father will sign a national letter of intent Wednesday afternoon, Underwood said.

Honored as the Mid-Florida Conference Player of the Year after averaging 23.4 points and 4.9 rebounds for Daytona Beach (25-4), Young is a gifted scorer and the No. 8 juco player nationally, according to jucojunction.com. He'll join 7-foot-3 center Jason Bennett in Manhattan next season.

"I haven't seen other jucos through the country, but I've been told he's the best scoring guard in the country, and I have no reason to argue that point," Underwood said.

Fish
04-18-2006, 04:50 PM
K-State has a basketball team??

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Juco? A non-predictor no doubt.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
One more scholly available. I think it will go to 7'1 C Clarence Hollaway from the IMG academy.

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 05:01 PM
K-State has a basketball team??

You may be hearing more about them in the coming seasons.

A non-predictor no doubt.

You will have to forgive me Skip, I went to WSU. What does this mean please?

Fish
04-18-2006, 05:04 PM

I went to K-State right about the time that the girls games had more people in attendance than the boys games did......

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 05:04 PM

You will have to forgive me Skip, I went to WSU. What does this mean please?
I don't know if they use the term anymore but it means the "student" doesn't have high enough test scores or high school grades to get into a University. So they go to Jucos to get eligible.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I don' know if they use the term anymore but it means the "student" doesn't have high enough test scores or high school grades to get into a University. So they go to Jucos to get eligible.
Yeah. So what is wrong with that?

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Yeah. So what is wrong with that?
There is nothing wrong with "students" who can't spell their name. Load up on them.

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 05:10 PM
One more scholly available. I think it will go to 7'1 C Clarence Hollaway from the IMG academy.

That should take care of the big man scenerio.

I went to K-State right about the time that the girls games had more people in attendance than the boys games did......

Got it, they have had a dry spell since Jack Hartman.

I don't know if they use the term anymore but it means the "student" doesn't have high enough test scores or high school grades to get into a University. So they go to Jucos to get eligible.

Ok, thanks. Recruiting good Juco players is a great way to give a program much needed experience from upper classman as well. Kind of a Jump-Start.

WilliamTheIrish
04-18-2006, 05:14 PM
There is nothing wrong with "students" who can't spell their name. Load up on them.

Owned.

leviw
04-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Thought for sure he's end up in Washington. Solid pick up for the Cats. Ole Huggy is obviously for real.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Thought for sure he's end up in Washington. Solid pick up for the Cats. Ole Huggy is obviously for real.
"Noone can recruit to Manhattan, KS."

Laughable. I love it.

leviw
04-18-2006, 06:26 PM

Laughable. I love it.

No one would ever get a the football program to win, either. Everything is relative.

You doing the baseball/fan fest/spring game on Saturday, Saul?

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 06:27 PM

Laughable. I love it.
Neither of your recruits had much choice. Getting talent that very few teams wanted is hardly proof top players will go to Mancrappy.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 06:27 PM
You doing the baseball/fan fest/spring game on Saturday, Saul?

Beer Garden
then BBQ contest
then baseball game
then if i'm still alive/sober, spring football game.

Should be a blast.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Neither of your recruits had much choice. Getting talent that very few teams wanted is hardly proof top players will go to Mancrappy.
Seattle vs Manhattan.

Gee, I wonder why he picked K-State.

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Seattle vs Manhattan.

Under the table money?

leviw
04-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Seattle vs Manhattan.

That's the thing. It's obviously not about Manhattan. Obviously not about K-State, tradition or recent futility. It's simply Huggins.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 06:34 PM
That's the thing. It's obviously not about Manhattan. Obviously not about K-State, tradition or recent futility. It's simply Huggins.
Exactly. Get the right coach in there (got that), win alot of games (will do that), and everything else will fall right in to place.

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 06:37 PM

In my opinion Manhatten is much more pleasing to the eye than Lawrence.

What is different about Lawrence than Hays, other than the school? Manhatten has some trees and hills.

leviw
04-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Exactly. Get the right coach in there (got that), win alot of games (will do that), and everything else will fall right in to place.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how this thing plays out. Obviously a lot of wins over the next 2-3 seasons. Is this a top job for him though, or does he get to the Sweet 16 or better a couple years, prove he's of no trouble, then a big, tradition-rich program comes calling (like a Kentucky) and tries to steal him away. What will he do?

leviw
04-18-2006, 06:39 PM

What is different about Lawrence than Hays, other than the school? Manhatten has some trees and hills.

You're joking right? KU's campus is one big hill. The Hays-Lawrence comparison is laughable.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 06:40 PM
I agree. It will be interesting to see how this thing plays out. Obviously a lot of wins over the next 2-3 seasons. Is this a top job for him though, or does he get to the Sweet 16 or better a couple years, prove he's of no trouble, then a big, tradition-rich program comes calling (like a Kentucky) and tries to steal him away. What will he do?
I've heard that line before, but i'm not worried. It's a win-win situation. I think if he has wild success, he will stay. He stayed at Cincinnati after making the NCAA tourney 14 times in a row even when bigger programs called. Why wouldn't he stay at K-State, where he has the perfect situation (you know this is true).

The second scenario being he has wild success and leaves. I'll take wild success.

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 06:41 PM
You're joking right? KU's campus is one big hill. The Hays-Lawrence comparison is laughable.

I was talking about the towns, not the campuses. I used to spend a lot of time in both towns but not the campuses.

leviw
04-18-2006, 06:44 PM
I've heard that line before, but i'm not worried. It's a win-win situation. I think if he has wild success, he will stay. He stayed at Cincinnati after making the NCAA tourney 14 times in a row even when bigger programs called. Why wouldn't he stay at K-State, where he has the perfect situation (you know this is true).

The second scenario being he has wild success and leaves. I'll take wild success.

I think he can and will recruit and win at K-State. There's really no doubt. However, he's obviously out to prove a point to the entire NCAA. Can he do that at K-State. Or will he use K-State as a steping stone to bigger stage? Or will he stick around and make K-State a "big-stage" program? I don't know.

But yeah, success he will have.

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 06:45 PM

Manhattan is a tiny town 200 miles from civilization. Good players prefer a larger audience than they will get in Manhattan. Even Hartman had problems but he overcame them with guys like Ed Nealy who nobody wanted. Sutton does it too sometimes. Big Country comes to mind.

leviw
04-18-2006, 06:46 PM
I was talking about the towns, not the campuses. I used to spend a lot of time in both towns but not the campuses.

But seriously, Hays is completley flat, the wind blows dust and tumbleweeds constantly. The biggest attraction is the Super Wal-Mart. It wouldn't be a city if I-70 didn't run right by it.

The towns are not comparable, either.

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Manhattan is a tiny town 200 miles from civilization. Good players prefer a larger audience than they will get in Manhattan. Even Hartman had problems but he overcame them with guys like Ed Nealy who nobody wanted. Sutton does it too sometimes. Big Country comes to mind.

How about Chuckie Williams and Rolando Blackman, did nobody want them as well?

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 06:48 PM
I've never been to Hays.

Manhattan is great. Lawrence is great. Both are much better than Topeka.

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 06:49 PM
But seriously, Hays is completley flat, the wind blows dust and tumbleweeds constantly. The biggest attraction is the Super Wal-Mart. It wouldn't be a city if I-70 didn't run right by it.

The towns are not comparable, either.

Please don't interrupt my Skip taunting with the facts! :D Russel?

leviw
04-18-2006, 06:49 PM
I've never been to Hays.

Lucky.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Lucky.
That's what i've been told.

leviw
04-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Please don't interrupt my Skip taunting with the facts! :D Russel?

Russell. Home of Bob Dole. The ghetto of western Kansas. Place scares the shit out of me.

WilliamTheIrish
04-18-2006, 06:53 PM

ROFL Owned.

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Russell. Home of Bob Dole. The ghetto of western Kansas. Place scares the shit out of me.

Heck, you should head out farther west. I used to travel to all of those towns every two weeks. Spent a lot of time in Garden City and Liberal, Russell is tame compared to those. I would be more scared of Junction City than Russell.

WilliamTheIrish
04-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Heck, you should head out farther west. I used to travel to all of those towns every two weeks. Spent a lot of time in Garden City and Liberal, Russell is tame compared to those. I would be more scared of Junction City than Russell.

Shit, you stand a better chance of getting your ass kicked in Lawrence than either of those towns.

At least as long as John Randle is still in town.

leviw
04-18-2006, 07:00 PM

I'm from western Kansas. My mom lived near Garden for a couple years. My girlfriend is from Liberal. Russell is tame compared to those two, but for as small as it is, it's still an ugly town.

Yes, Junction City is terrifying. But I don't consider that "west".

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 07:02 PM
JC is Northeast Kansas.

When I was a kid we drove through Western Kansas on a trip to Colorado, but that's it. The furthest west i've been by myself is Salina.

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Shit, you stand a better chance of getting your ass kicked in Lawrence than either of those towns.

At least as long as John Randle is still in town.

ROFL nice! Did the Wal-Mart shopper kid go back to Oklahoma yet? I know I would not have wanted to be in any bars when he is around.

leviw
04-18-2006, 07:03 PM
ROFL nice! Did the Wal-Mart shopper kid go back to Oklahoma yet? I know I would not have wanted to be in any bars when he is around.

Giddens is in New Mexico.

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 07:06 PM
How about Chuckie Williams and Rolando Blackman, did nobody want them as well?
I don't remember any recruiting battles for them.

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm from western Kansas. My mom lived near Garden for a couple years. My girlfriend is from Liberal. Russell is tame compared to those two, but for as small as it is, it's still an ugly town.

Yes, Junction City is terrifying. But I don't consider that "west".

JC is Northeast Kansas.

When I was a kid we drove through Western Kansas on a trip to Colorado, but that's it. The furthest west i've been by myself is Salina.

Did not mean to imply that JC is west, just that it is a very close neighbor to Manhatten.

leviw
04-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Did not mean to imply that JC is west, just that it is a very close neighbor to Manhatten.

It's the reason I lock my doors at night IN Manhattan.

Ultra Peanut
04-18-2006, 07:18 PM
K-State basketball gets oralHuhuhuhuhuhuh.

Kerberos
04-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Even Hartman had problems but he overcame them with guys like Ed Nealy who nobody wanted. Sutton does it too sometimes. Big Country comes to mind.

Gawd damn you are an old fart. You remember the Jack Hartman days with Rolondo Blackman, Ed Nealy and a couple more that I can't remember?

I remember those days well ... And Gary Spani played for KSU football about that same time to if I am not mistaken!

Lost allot of brain cells between that time gone past and the present!

But I do remember KSU having some decent basketball teams for a little while back then!

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't remember any recruiting battles for them.

Me either, I had my hands full with other things at the time.

arrowheadnation
04-18-2006, 08:04 PM
The final Rivals Rankings for the Class of 2006 came out today. Oden and Durant are still 1 and 2....of local interest, Missouri recruit Keon Lawrence is #101, K-state recruit Jason Bennett fell to #30, and Kansas recruit Sherron Collins moved up to #21.

Here are the rankings if anyone wants to see them: http://kansas.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1428

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Yep, another strike against K-State. Ft. Riley is a sewer.

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Gawd damn you are an old fart. You remember the Jack Hartman days with Rolondo Blackman, Ed Nealy and a couple more that I can't remember?

I remember those days well ... And Gary Spani played for KSU football about that same time to if I am not mistaken!

But I do remember KSU having some decent basketball teams for a little while back then!

Hell, I remember Tex Winter. Don Matuszak, Bob Boozer, Jack Parr. I like K-State OK but they are not KU.

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 08:12 PM

Aren't you from Kansas? Why do you keep misspelling Manhattan? Oh, that's right, you went to WSU.

HemiEd
04-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Aren't you from Kansas? Why do you keep misspelling Manhattan? Oh, that's right, you went to WSU.

ROFL Jack Daniels, I think I spelled that right.

Kerberos
04-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Yep, another strike against K-State. Ft. Riley is a sewer.

Oh..... BUT Manhattan says they don't NEED Ft. Riley. They say they have the college and that will get them by. Do you remember that one?

The talked that kind of sh!t for years..... then the first desert war came along in the early 90's and when they shipped out there were allot of businesses that closed up in Manhappiness as well as Junction City.

Ft. Riley is a sewer?? How do you come about this knowledge?? Or is it just another one of your educated opinions?

I love it when people that live other places talk about your area as if they know it. :shake:

When you have lived in this area (Junction City, Manhattan, Ft. Riley) for 40 years then you will have some merrit in your judgements ... but not until.

Just IMO

kc hopeful
04-18-2006, 10:52 PM

Don't forget Mike Evans-saw him surpass Wilt Chamberlin's Big 8 all time scoring record. Evans and Williams in the same back court was something.

CoMoChief
04-18-2006, 11:19 PM

I wouldnt say that Huggins is in the perfect situation, it's more like he has nothing to lose at this point and the reason I say that is because KSU isnt used to winning, so if he doesnt do so good his first season, people arent gonna be calling for his job right off the bat because he has more credibility than the entire history of the KSU bball program. Yeah sure he will more than likely land Pope, Mayo, and Walker, along with Bennett and this other JUCO stud that people are talking about. They should be really good in 3 seasons. Im not talking about being decent and making the NCAA tourney, Im talking about making a serious run at the Big12 championship and going to the Sweet16 or better in March.

Having that said Manhattan is a hard place to attract players to. You cant really argue about that. The location sucks just about as much as Kirksville or Maryville. All of these kids he's recruiting have had ties with him when they wanted to play for him at Cincy, and you know that. After these guys graduate (if they even do - hah jk) he's gonna need to find new recruits and try to persue them to come to Manhattan. The only way to do that is to prove to the stud recruits that KSU is becoming a basketball powerhouse in the Big12 as well as the rest of the nation.

This all means that these next fews seasons are crucial to Bob Huggins and his recruiting of quality players to KSU. He needs to win and win soon.

Kansas better watch out in a couple seasons, especially when Bill Self wants to run the Hi Low shit. God I cant tell you enough how much I ****ing hate that offense. It boggles my mind to have a big guy on the free throw line extended/top of key to lob pass down to another big guy. It works in HS when mostly everyone at the most is 6-5 or 6-6 down low, doesnt exactly work when players are 6-10 to 7ft tall and you have guards that are 6-8. If Kansas wants to win the title, they need to run, plain and simple.

listopencil
04-18-2006, 11:26 PM
I got an oral commitment once. Turns out it doesn't mean what I thought it meant at all.

dtrain
04-19-2006, 08:29 AM

Manhattan sucks! All they do is cover up as much of the bad things happening there as they can.

KevB
04-19-2006, 09:39 AM
The Manhattan bashing is getting tired. It's a nice little college town with an attractive campus and just enough to do to have fun. No, it's not close to a big city, but I really enjoyed the place. If you're an athlete/student used to a big city, perhaps it's not the place for you (although I've grown up in big cities and liked the place just fine). I would agree that does limit recruiting to an extent. But if you're looking for a place to go to concentrate on school/athletics, you could do far worse. Do all of you Manhattan bashers think it's the only college town in America not close to a big city?

FAX
04-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I, for one, am happy for K-State.

Oral commitments are great things.

FAX

Pitt Gorilla
04-19-2006, 09:44 AM

What is different about Lawrence than Hays, other than the school? Manhatten has some trees and hills.Wow, I dislike KU as much as the next guy, but this is just foolish. Lawrence is a very pretty town while Manhattan is, uh, Manhattan.

HemiEd
04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Wow, I dislike KU as much as the next guy, but this is just foolish. Lawrence is a very pretty town while Manhattan is, uh, Manhattan.

:D See post 31, but in all seriousness, I thought Manhattan was a pretty place. I guess I must have missed the nice parts of lawrence, could have easily confused it with Ellsworth.

Lurch
04-19-2006, 09:57 AM
:D See post 31, but in all seriousness, I thought Manhattan was a pretty place. I guess I must have missed the nice parts of lawrence, could have easily confused it with Ellsworth.

My guess is you got laid in Aggieville, but the Lawrence girls were more discriminating. It's the only explanation I can think of for such an absolutely misguided and totally bogus assessment that you've offered. I'll give you a hint: GoChiefs could get laid in Aggieville.

HemiEd
04-19-2006, 10:29 AM
My guess is you got laid in Aggieville, but the Lawrence girls were more discriminating. It's the only explanation I can think of for such an absolutely misguided and totally bogus assessment that you've offered. I'll give you a hint: GoChiefs could get laid in Aggieville.

Well, it has been over ten years since I was at either place so maybe things have changed.

Kerberos
04-19-2006, 11:01 AM
My guess is you got laid in Aggieville, but the Lawrence girls were more discriminating.

The chicks at KU are all looking for that MRS. Degree and mary some prominant Doctor so she can spend his $. Tell them chicks you are in Pre Med to be a platic surgeon or heart specialist and you are in like flint.

Tell them same chicks you are only there to get an education (Bachelors Degree )and you won't get the time of day from most of them stuck up hoes.

It's the only explanation I can think of for such an absolutely misguided and totally bogus assessment that you've offered. I'll give you a hint: GoChiefs could get laid in Aggieville.

I don't think it's THAT relaxed in aggieville ..... But then again I haven't been down there bar hopping for 15+ years so allot has probably changed .... But then again I'll give you a hint: GoChiefs could get laid in Aggieville.

I don't think its changed THAT much.

:D

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2006, 05:11 PM

Lurch is proof that he could find another man more easily in Larryville, than in Aggieville.

You go Lurch. *snap*

HemiEd
04-19-2006, 07:15 PM
:LOL:

Saulbadguy
04-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Figure this would be a good place to post this article without ruffling the proverbial feathers by starting a new thread.

Read the bolded parts...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14382521.htm

Junior star Beasley has Wildcats at No. 1 on list
By HOWARD RICHMAN
The Kansas City Star
Huggins

Don’t fret, Kansas State. It wasn’t a change of heart that was taking men’s basketball coach Bob Huggins to Cincinnati. Actually, he was driving there to see his family.

Along the way, he did some recruiting.

“I’ve got another three hours on the road still,” Huggins said by phone Wednesday night, long after the sun had set. “But it’s been worth it. We’ve been really well-received.”

Wednesday proved to be full of good news for Huggins.

Michael Beasley, one of the top high school juniors in the country, told The Star he got a visit Monday from Huggins and assistant Dalonte Hill, who was the reason Beasley made an oral commitment last year to Charlotte, where Hill was on the staff.

Beasley, a 6-foot-8 forward at Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., sounds as if he already has changed his mind about Charlotte, even though he said he hasn’t officially backed out of the commitment.

“Kansas State is probably my number one school,” said Beasley, ranked No. 3 by Rivals.com. “Coach Huggins and coach Hill want to try to win a national championship, basically. We plan on making Kansas State like Duke or North Carolina.”

Beasley also had an interesting update about the top two junior prospects in the nation: O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker of North College Hill in Cincinnati, who’ve been rumored to be coming to K-State in 2007.

“I talked to Bill,” Beasley said, “and he said if I do it (go to K-State), he’ll do it. O.J.’s still thinking about it. I think with all of us there, we could make history.”

Beasley said he probably will visit K-State this summer.

■ YOUNG IN THE FOLD: Junior-to-be Blake Young, the top guard prospect in the junior-college ranks at Daytona Beach (Fla.) Community College, faxed his letter-of-intent to K-State Wednesday morning.

Young, an honorable mention All-American, averaged 23.2 points. He picked the Wildcats over Creighton, Washington and Alabama.

Can Young become a quick fixture for K-State? Huggins thinks so.

“I don’t ever recruit juco guys that can’t help immediately,” Huggins said.

Young said: “I know things aren’t going to be easy all the time with coach Huggins, but he will push me to my maximum potential. I can handle that.”

■ MARTIN TO RETURN: Huggins said Cartier Martin, K-State’s top returning player, told him he will be back for his senior season.

“He’s one of the better players in the Big 12. We look for Cartier not just to be a good player, but a good leader because he (will be) a senior,” Huggins said.

■ ANYONE ELSE LEAVING? Asked whether anybody was leaving the program besides Curtis Allen, who said earlier this month he wanted to transfer closer to home in Long Beach, Calif., Huggins said, “Not that I’m aware of.”
To reach Howard Richman, K-State reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4701 or send e-mail to hrichman@kcstar.com

Skip Towne
04-20-2006, 07:23 AM
K-State? National Champion? Hahahahaha

HemiEd
04-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Pretty amazing to me what Huggins has going already.

Saulbadguy
04-21-2006, 05:29 AM
Pretty amazing to me what Huggins has going already.
You're telling me.

This is insane. OJ Mayo, the nations #1 rated prospect for 2007, will be joining the Miami Tropics AAU team. Bill Walker will likely be joining him, and there are rumors of Herb Pope joining him as well. For those who are keeping score, Walker is the #2 rated prospect and Mayos HS teammate, and Herb Pope is the nations #7 rated prospect.

The Miami Tropics AAU team is where K-State got the 7-3 5* rated center Jason Bennett from. Huggins and asst coach Frank Martin has an excellent relationship with the Miami Tropics coach, Art Alvarez.

:drool:

OJ is also looking at transferring to Oak Hill Academy HS, where Michael Beasely plays (the nations #3 rated prospect in 2007). This is also where Carmelo Anthony played his HS ball.

HemiEd
04-21-2006, 06:05 AM
You're telling me.

This is insane.

It is going to be exciting to watch. Obviously K-State is going to be challenging KU and Texas for the top of the Big 12.

Kerberos
04-21-2006, 06:29 AM
It is going to be exciting to watch. Obviously K-State is going to be challenging KU and Texas for the top of the Big 12.

Oh Hell ... I just may have to start watching Basketball. :banghead: And I HATE basketball. :cuss:

I got a buddy that is a HUGE KU fan. Might be fun to sit and watch a KU-KState game with him so I can watch him squirm.

KCFalcon59
04-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Oh Hell ... I just may have to start watching Basketball. :banghead: And I HATE basketball. :cuss:

I got a buddy that is a HUGE KU fan. Might be fun to sit and watch a KU-KState game with him so I can watch him squirm.

Hey!!!! :cuss: I won't squirm. I think it is great that K-State will be top notch. It will mean great battles between KU-KState. We'll be able to see both Kansas teams on ESPN, Fox, CBS, ABC more often. It's all good. Everybody wins.

Though I hope KU wins more. heh

Kerberos
04-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey!!!! :cuss: I won't squirm. I think it is great that K-State will be top notch. It will mean great battles between KU-KState. We'll be able to see both Kansas teams on ESPN, Fox, CBS, ABC more often. It's all good. Everybody wins.

Though I hope KU wins more. heh

Actually YOU are level headed and root for both. Doug on the other hand would probably have a coronary durning a game if K-State actually courts a team that overshadows the Hawks. ;)

I'm sure you can agree with that!

Mr. Laz
04-21-2006, 09:24 AM
K-State basketball gets oral from Blake Young.

HemiEd
04-21-2006, 08:29 PM
That is taken out of context.

DJJasonp
04-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Yep....

Oral commitment....K-state....and a "guy" named Blake.

sounds like a perfect fit to me!! :)

Skip Towne
04-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Is Bennett the 7'3 guy who exploded for a 15 ppg avg at a 2A high school in Florida? If so, the guy must have hands of stone. If I was a foot taller than my competition I think I could do about twice that.

Skip Towne
04-21-2006, 08:56 PM
What I find amazing is that KSU has awarded themselves status alongside KU and Texas without so much as winning a single game. This is really entertaining. It wasn't long ago that OJ Mayo was a "lock" for KSU. But when he found out it was KSU he is now "thinking about it".

WilliamTheIrish
04-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Is Bennett the 7'3 guy who exploded for a 15 ppg avg at a 2A high school in Florida? If so, the guy must have hands of stone. If I was a foot taller than my competition I think I could do about twice that.

ROFL

Owned. Again.

WilliamTheIrish
04-21-2006, 09:01 PM
What I find amazing is that KSU has awarded themselves status alongside KU and Texas without so much as winning a single game. This is really entertaining. It wasn't long ago that OJ Mayo was a "lock" for KSU. But when he found out it was KSU he is now "thinking about it".

Really? Link?

Skip Towne
04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Really? Link?
Post #67 on this thread. In bold so even you can see it.

Pitt Gorilla
04-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Really? Link?
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=83641

Saulbadguy
04-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Recent devlopments lead me to believe that OJ Mayo, Bill Walker, and Michael Beasely are all KSU locks. Why else would OJ Mayo join the Tropics AAU team, and be looking at Oak Hill?

Skip Towne
04-22-2006, 06:47 AM
Recent devlopments lead me to believe that OJ Mayo, Bill Walker, and Michael Beasely are all KSU locks. Why else would OJ Mayo join the Tropics AAU team, and be looking at Oak Hill?
Yeah, well, he's "thinking about it". That's pretty close to a lock.

Saulbadguy
04-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Yeah, well, he's "thinking about it". That's pretty close to a lock.
That's fine. It's his decision, and a very important one at that. I'd say Michael Beasely is a lock though, definately. He is down to K-State and Charlotte, and since Dalonte Hill is now at K-State, i'll say Beasely will be here too.

What's really neat is, we wouldn't be having this discussion if Wooly were the coach. I'd be thinking about which countrys rec league Wooly will try to get a pipeline to next, Angola or Rwanda?

HemiEd
04-26-2006, 05:03 AM
K-State recruit has NBA skills
One minute, Oak Hill Academy basketball coach Steve Smith is comparing Michael Beasley to former Syracuse standout Derrick Coleman ("but a better athlete"), but then the next he's saying how Beasley is a big kid, down to his SpongeBob SquarePants socks.

And this, folks, is arguably the centerpiece of Bob Huggins' potential major recruiting haul for 2007.

Beasley is the No. 3 player in his class, a left-handed, 6-foot-10 forward who plays inside and out with equal proficiency.

"If not for the NBA's new age minimum, there's no way Beasley would spend a day in college," Schoolsports.com senior editor Ben Sylvan said. "He's probably the most versatile high school player in the country."

Dalonte Hill was an assistant at Charlotte, where Beasley committed as a sophomore. Hill, who left Charlotte to join Huggins' staff at K-State, and Beasley are extremely close. Hill has known Beasley since he was 11, grabbing rebounds for the young man as he shot baskets in empty gyms in Washington, D.C.

Hill was also tight with Denver Nuggets guard DerMarr Johnson, who also played for Huggins -- and the D.C. Assault, the AAU organization run by Curtis Malone. According to Malone, Johnson is basically his godson and he acts as a mentor to Beasley, who is best friends with his stepson and Duke commit, Oak Hill guard Nolan Smith.

Beasley, who has de-committed to Charlotte and is considering the Wildcats and the 49ers, recently said K-State was the frontrunner. His coach is not surprised.

"He'd be crazy not to go to K-State," Steve Smith said. "It seems inevitable that he'll go there."

Back to 2006 -- K-State has one scholarship remaining for 2006, but the coaching staff is targeting two prospects -- Krop High (Fla.) center Luis Colon and Chipola College (Fla.) point guard Stefhon Hannah. Apparently, if both commit, the staff will figure something out.

As for 2007, the Big Four -- Beasley, Aliquippa High (Pa.) forward Herb Pope and O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker of North College Hill (Ohio) --remain in play, although Mayo may or may not have been suspended this week, which means he may or may not finish his prep career at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, which he toured Friday.

But K-State is also heavily on the trail of two more prospects. The first is Dante Jackson, a 6-foot-5 combo guard from McClain High in Ohio. The second? Burlington High's Tyrel Reed, a 6-foot-2, 175-pound point guard. Huggins was at Burlington High on Monday, watching Reed work out before school began under the instruction of his father, who is his high school coach.

Reed is also coveted by Kansas and North Carolina.

From the blotter -- Ross Diehl, a redshirt freshman linebacker from Castle Rock, Colo., was arrested Monday by Riley County Police on a warrant for aggravated battery.

According to Riley County Police Department public information officer Lt. Michael Quintanar, Diehl, 19, caused bodily harm to a man on Feb. 11, punching him the face and fracturing a bone in his face.

K-State coach Ron Prince refused to comment.

Diehl, challenging for a spot in the starting lineup and expected to be a mainstay in the rotation at linebacker, finished with a team-high five tackles Saturday for the Purple in K-State's spring game.

Way to go -- The K-State women's basketball team will be honored today at the state capitol for winning the 2006 WNIT.

He's a Cat -- Prince landed his 10th commitment in the Class of 2007 last week when Olathe East running back Demetrius Bell made his pledge to K-State. Bell, a 5-foot-9, 165-pound running back, ran for 1,821 yards and 23 touchdowns as a junior.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saulbadguy
04-26-2006, 06:50 AM
2007 will be awesome. We will have 6 scholarships to fill.

Nick Lachey has bought season tickets to K-State basketball, hahaha.