PDA

View Full Version : FSU's Cromartie draws Deion comparisons

Mecca
04-19-2006, 04:52 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2006-04-17-usat-defensive-backs-cromartie_x.htm

By Skip Wood, USA TODAY
It's difficult, if not altogether ridiculous, to make a case that cornerback Antonio Cromartie was a gamble when he signed with Florida State three years ago. After all, we're talking about a lad who was named USA TODAY's national defensive player of the year his final season at Tallahassee's Lincoln High.
Even so, Seminoles coaches had a wee bit of concern. Listen to longtime FSU defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews: "When we signed him, he weighed maybe 175 pounds —maybe. And when he got here, he was maybe 185 pounds —maybe."

But immediately after arriving on campus, Cromartie did everything and anything requested of him.

"Weights, running, overall conditioning — everything," Andrews said. "Not just because he had to, but because he really and truly wanted to do whatever it took to make himself better. He understood, you know? Some guys get it and some guys don't."

And now? Cromartie packs 210 pounds on his 6-3 frame, and despite missing all of last season with a serious knee injury, is among the more notable cornerbacks available in next weekend's NFL Draft.

"I don't see anything but great things ahead for him because of his talent but also his great attitude," Andrews said. "I think this is a guy who's got 'can't miss' stamped all over him."

Cromartie simply wants to get back on the field.

"I feel like I don't have any pressure on me right now," he said. "Just go out and do what I've always done, and that's just play football."

He didn't do any of that last season, though. The summer after being named a first-team, All-Atlantic Coast Conference pick, he tore the ACL in his left knee during a voluntary workout.

"I ... was going up for an interception," Cromartie said, "and I came down wrong."

But the surgery and subsequent rehabilitation process went about as well as could be imagined. Meanwhile, however, family financial problems and other medical issues began to weigh on Cromartie, and that's the primary reason he decided to forfeit his final two years of eligibility.

"For me, when I grew up, I was always in the projects," he said. "So it was money — it was always a problem for us familywise. But I feel like (now that) I'm taking on this opportunity now, we won't have any financial problems for the rest of our lives."

That wouldn't surprise NFL Draft expert Gil Brandt.

"He's a Deion Sanders-type athlete," Brandt said, referring to another former Seminole. "It seems like this guy can do everything, just like Deion did."

Andrews, who coached both players, chuckled when told of Brandt's assessment.

"Well, I guess I'd have to say the same thing," he said. "And I'll tell you, I'm not so sure he couldn't be a receiver."

Had Cromartie remained at FSU, that might have been something for head coach Bobby Bowden to ponder.

As it is, Andrews is left to ponder something else — and not necessarily what one might assume.

"To me, the worst thing is not losing a great player," he said. "When a kid leaves early, well, some come back and some don't (to complete their degree). That's just the way it goes. And with a player like Cro', well, you don't normally see too many millionaires in the classroom taking notes."

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Teams in need: Bears, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Chargers, Chiefs, Colts, Falcons, 49ers, Lions, Saints, Seahawks, Vikings

Insider's take: "He's a risk because of his knee, but he's a high-reward guy. Unbelievably good hands. The guy just has a knack for making plays." - Gil Brandt, NFL draft expert and former Dallas Cowboys personnel chief, on Antonio Cromartie

Prospect's view: "I feel like I don't have any pressure on me right now -- just go out and do what I've always done, and that's just play football." - Antonio Cromartie

Stats and stuff: Ran a 4.37 in the 40 during his pro-day workout. Before missing his junior season at Florida State with an injured left knee (ACL), he already had established himself as one of the nation's better playmakers. He had four interceptions as a sophomore, returned 19 kickoffs for 435 yards and was a first-team All-ACC selection.

Last year's gem: Ellis Hobbs, New England Patriots. Despite beginning the season in the shadow of such first-rounders as Adam "Pacman" Jones, Antrel Rolle and Carlos Rogers, the third-round pick (84th choice overall) had three interceptions and started the Pats' final eight games.

Cream of the crop: Antonio Cromartie (Florida State), Tye Hill (Clemson), Jonathan Joseph (South Carolina), Jimmy Williams (Virginia Tech)

JBucc
04-19-2006, 06:40 AM
So he can't tackle and is full of himself?

Mecca
04-19-2006, 06:42 AM
So he can't tackle and is full of himself?

Well it didn't take long for that comment to come.

JBucc
04-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Well it didn't take long for that comment to come.I couldn't help myself.

ct
04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
How many Cro's do we really want on this team Mecca? And why are they always '1st round talent if not for injury' guys?

Mr. Laz
04-19-2006, 09:19 AM
cromartie has a bum big toe?

Mecca
04-19-2006, 01:35 PM
How many Cro's do we really want on this team Mecca? And why are they always '1st round talent if not for injury' guys?

Har Har, don't give me crap about Thorpe, it's not like I wanted us to make that pick.

buddha
04-19-2006, 01:49 PM
The kid's the real deal when he's healthy. However, he is, and never was, in Neon Dion's speed territory. He is much bigger and more physical than Sanders, however. I think he'd be a great addition for KC.

Jim Jones
04-19-2006, 05:41 PM
What a terribly misleading headline.

Rain Man
04-19-2006, 07:26 PM
He weighs 210 and ran a 4.37? That's ... good.

Mecca
04-19-2006, 08:41 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19874&sid=1b14686d696a15ea9b95d5591e420ea0

So the owner and everyone who posts on that board basically think's we'd be lucky to get Cromartie........that's quite a different opinion than most have here.

Spicy McHaggis
04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19874&sid=1b14686d696a15ea9b95d5591e420ea0

So the owner and everyone who posts on that board basically think's we'd be lucky to get Cromartie........that's quite a different opinion than most have here.

Anythings possible. Matt Jones went #21 and there's no way Cromartie is more of a project. McGahee went #23 with 2 blown knees. The bottom line is someone is probably going to like the upside of this kid enough to draft him around those spots. And that's what drafting Cromartie is, drafting pure upside. He could be great. But if the Chiefs take him and whiff, its going to sting badly because there are a lot of other guys that are less of a risk that could come in and contribute at a spot of need.

Mecca
04-19-2006, 10:53 PM
There's also a difference in a calculated risk on a guy like Cromartie and burning a pick to early on a guy. I think saying "the Chiefs always take projects" when talking about Cromartie isn't the right way to look at him.

He's in a whole nother class compared to the general Chiefs project......Julian Battle, Junior Siavii.

htismaqe
04-20-2006, 07:52 AM
As the original Cromartie pimp, I still think the guy could be a good FS.

Mr. Kotter
04-20-2006, 09:13 AM
As the original Cromartie pimp, I still think the guy could be a good FS.

Draft him. Then worry about whether he's the #2 CB or Wesley's replacement.

:D

eazyb81
04-20-2006, 10:53 AM
There's also a difference in a calculated risk on a guy like Cromartie and burning a pick to early on a guy. I think saying "the Chiefs always take projects" when talking about Cromartie isn't the right way to look at him.

He's in a whole nother class compared to the general Chiefs project......Julian Battle, Junior Siavii.

EXACTLY

Cromartie is not a huge risk or project like some uninformed people are making him out to be. The only reason he could be perceived as a risk is because he missed last season due to injury. However, he is not a risk in his ability, because he has proven what he can do on the field. Also, I don't think you can say he is an injury risk either, because his combine workouts show that he has not lost a step.

I would still prefer Lawson if he is available, but Cromartie and Hill fill out the rest of my top 3 wishlist. I really don't think we could go wrong with either of the top 2 CBs....you just have to decide what you want in your CB.

By the way, Scott Wright, the owner of NFL Draft Countdown, knows his stuff....his site is probably the best draft site out there.

htismaqe
04-20-2006, 01:28 PM
EXACTLY

Cromartie is not a huge risk or project like some uninformed people are making him out to be. The only reason he could be perceived as a risk is because he missed last season due to injury. However, he is not a risk in his ability, because he has proven what he can do on the field. Also, I don't think you can say he is an injury risk either, because his combine workouts show that he has not lost a step.

I would still prefer Lawson if he is available, but Cromartie and Hill fill out the rest of my top 3 wishlist. I really don't think we could go wrong with either of the top 2 CBs....you just have to decide what you want in your CB.

By the way, Scott Wright, the owner of NFL Draft Countdown, knows his stuff....his site is probably the best draft site out there.

I agree. NFL Draft Countdown is routinely the 1st or 2nd-best site in predicting the 1st round and ranking the top 50.

He has Cromartie as the top CB on the board, even ahead of Jimmy Williams.

I think it's entirely possible that Cromartie is off the board when we pick. Not that it would really bother me, because then we have a better chance at Williams.