PDA

View Full Version : 2 austrialian shepherds

SLAG
04-20-2006, 09:51 AM
got this today -- two austrialian shepherds brother and sister must be gone by 4-26 they want to stay together call 816 222 4878-- i have no other info the dogs name are pepper and cowboy

StcChief
04-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Australian Cattle dogs?

Very smart dogs neighbor had a pair

very good with people, will herd kids....

BIG_DADDY
04-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Cool Post. :thumb:

Demonpenz
04-20-2006, 10:40 AM
I would get them but i live so close to a school. Can't take a risk

MOhillbilly
04-20-2006, 10:49 AM
australian shepherds have nothing to do w/ australia.

Iowanian
04-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Like Blue Healers, they are pretty protective and will bite and fight with other dogs.

MOhillbilly
04-20-2006, 10:57 AM
theyre alot smarter than blue heelers and are not a dog for a novice handler. They need to be WELL socialized from a young age w/ other animals and humans.

They make great yarddogs if started early.

Brock
04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Great dogs if you like digging and barking.

Frosty
04-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Australian Cattle dogs?

Very smart dogs neighbor had a pair

very good with people, will herd kids....

No, they aren't even very similar. Aussies are more like border collies, just not as hyper.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australianshepherd.htm

We have had an Aussie for the last 8 years and she has been a treat. Dead simple to train, doesn't bark, great with our kids and other kids that come over. She doesn't chew or dig (she did dig some when she was young, but only if we hadn't spent enought time with her).

I doubt I will ever consider a different breed in the future.

Frosty
04-20-2006, 12:12 PM
theyre alot smarter than blue heelers and are not a dog for a novice handler. They need to be WELL socialized from a young age w/ other animals and humans.

Huh? Sounds like you are talking about a different breed. Aussies are very easy to train and handle and love to play. Ours has always gotten along with other dogs and tolerates our cat well.

The link I posted above says this about their temperament (and we have found it to be true:

Australian Shepherds are easy going, perpetual puppies that love to play. Courageous, loyal and affectionate, they are excellent children's companions that are great with active children. A devoted friend and guardian, for they are naturally protective. Very lively, agile and attentive - they are eager to please, with a sixth sense about what the owner wants. Australian Shepherds are highly intelligent and easy to train. Though aggressive when at work with livestock, the Aussie is gentle with human friends. Australian Shepherds needs lots of exercise and a job to do, as the breed is very intelligent, active and easily bored. They can become nervous and destructive if left alone too much without exercise. They are naturally suspicious of strangers, so they should be well socialized as puppies. Working lines of Australian Shepherds may be too energetic to be suitable pets. Some like to nip people's heals in an attempt to herd them. They are quiet workers, unlike some breeds, which are bred to bark constantly at livestock. This breed is not usually dog aggressive.

NewChief
04-20-2006, 12:16 PM
My experience with Aussies, as they're huge here among the Ultimate Frisbee and disc golf crowd, is that they need to be worked and worked hard. They're absolutely neurotic about doing some sort of job, and they're super smart. If they're cooped up inside all day with nothing to do, this intelligence is going to become a problem. If you work them and give them a "job", then they're great.

MOhillbilly
04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
i said they make great yard dogs if started early and are well socialized.

and are not for the novice handler- meaning they are smart enough to outsmart a novice.

Ceej
04-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Hmm, we own 3 australian sheperds now. We've owned a couple in the past. They don't bite. I guess it depends on how they are raised. We haven't had any problems with them.

Great, lovable dogs though.

Here's our newest puppy - Cooper, he's going to be a big boy.

Ceej
04-20-2006, 12:21 PM
A comical picture.

MOhillbilly
04-20-2006, 12:27 PM
they will absolutely bite you if not started properly at a young age.
Of that i have ZERO doubts.

Frosty
04-20-2006, 12:32 PM
If they're cooped up inside all day with nothing to do, this intelligence is going to become a problem. If you work them and give them a "job", then they're great.

I would agree with this. They wouldn't make a good apartment or city dog.

Ours hangs out in the house all day and is pretty mellow but she is ready to go play or run in a millisecond. I try to walk her or throw the ball for her every day. She also runs the yard.

Frosty
04-20-2006, 12:34 PM
they will absolutely bite you if not started properly at a young age.
Of that i have ZERO doubts.

Yeah, but you could say that about ANY dog.

Ceej
04-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Yes, that could be said about any dog.

Of the three we have, one was rescued and she's very neurotic. They had hundreds of them bottled up in kennels and hardly any room between them. She's never bit or attempted to bite anyone. She's a very territorial dog, but she's never attempted to bite anyone unless provoked.

SLAG
04-20-2006, 12:44 PM
from the picture i saw the are beautiful and have been around kids i would post the pic but i am posting from my cell

MOhillbilly
04-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but you could say that about ANY dog.

the point is about a rescue dog w/ no background info. Not about aussies in general.
The other point is that they are smart enough that w/out proper handeling they do have tendencies to want to subvert the alpha.

bank it, ive been around my share of em'.

mike_b_284
04-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I had a blue heeler growing up, not agressive at all. As with most shepherds he went through a nipping phase broke him of that and he was an awesome dog. Lived to be 14.

MOhillbilly
04-20-2006, 12:48 PM
from the picture i saw the are beautiful and have been around kids i would post the pic but i am posting from my cell

questions to ask.
how old? why are they being farmed out? house trained? leash trained? any obedience training at all? can they be returned if they dont check out w/ the vet or they dont work out in the home?
are they good w/ other pets?

SLAG
04-20-2006, 12:50 PM
I had a blue heeler growing up, not agressive at all. As with most shepherds he went through a nipping phase broke him of that and he was an awesome dog. Lived to be 14.
R I P thurston

SLAG
04-20-2006, 12:56 PM
from what i know is that the owners have to get rid of them because the city of liberty will only allow them to have 2 of them they currently have 4 and are parting with the two i listed -- in the picture a young boy about 6 or 7 is seen hugging the dogs

MOhillbilly
04-20-2006, 01:00 PM
from what i know is that the owners have to get rid of them because the city of liberty will only allow them to have 2 of them they currently have 4 and are parting with the two i listed -- in the picture a young boy about 6 or 7 is seen hugging the dogs

what picture? why these two and not the other two?
Have they looked into AS rescue? im sure there is a org. that does that kinda stuff in the metro area.

Frosty
04-20-2006, 01:01 PM
the point is about a rescue dog w/ no background info. Not about aussies in general.
Agreed :thumb:

The other point is that they are smart enough that w/out proper handeling they do have tendencies to want to subvert the alpha.

I could see that, if the owner doesn't realize that they always have to be pack leader and that they have to be consistant. I've never seen any signs of ours try to subvert her position, but we established that immediately early on.

The little blurb I posted mentions them having almost a sixth sense. It's amazing the little suble things they pick up on. She reacts to habits I didn't even realize I had. She has been incredibly easy to train, even for me, who had never really been around dogs.

BIG_DADDY
04-20-2006, 01:20 PM

Confiscation of the kids and the dogs is the only answer for these irresponsible owners.

Duck Dog
04-20-2006, 01:33 PM

My brother in laws blue heeler bit the crap out of me once. The result reminded me of the movie Blazing Saddles when Mongo jacked that horse and knocked it out.

Iowanian
04-20-2006, 02:12 PM
They don't bite. boy.

Thats funny.

We had one on the farm that got too agreesive so it got the winchester treatment.

My friend's dad's Aussie bit me when I was 14-15.

My brother, has another, and just paid the mailman $600 because it bit her.

I know alot of farmers, and alot of farmers with Healers and Aussies who pack them in the truck every day.

If you don't think they'll bite....Go stick your hand in the tool box in the back of a pickup with an Aussie(or a healer) in the back.

CosmicPal
04-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Here's my Australian Cattle

Phobia
04-20-2006, 02:37 PM

They look pretty small. How many head you got?

Duck Dog
04-20-2006, 03:09 PM

I have a couple of labs that guard my couch when I'm not home too.

SLAG
04-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Here is what I got in an email today-

So this is all i know

listopencil
04-20-2006, 04:39 PM

What kind of dog is the black and white one? We picked up a stray dog that looks a lot like that and always wondered what kind of dog it was. Our dog (George) is shorter and fatter and lacks some of the facial coloring.

BIG_DADDY
04-20-2006, 04:41 PM
What kind of dog is the black and white one? We picked up a stray dog that looks a lot like that and always wondered what kind of dog it was. Our dog (George) is shorter and fatter and lacks some of the facial coloring.

That reminds me of some guy that was telling us his wife looked just like Eva Longoria except she shorter, fatter and didn't have a tan.

listopencil
04-20-2006, 05:01 PM
While I've got some of you dog people looking at a thread, can you take a look at Gordo and tell me what kind of dog he might be? George wondered off somewhere. His Mom was pitt but we don't know anything about the Dad. My wife snagged him-she said that all of the litter looked like one of those evolution charts and he was in the middle. He's looking a bit sheepish because I had him get on the couch for the pic and he knows he's not supposed to be there. He's about seven months old.

listopencil
04-20-2006, 05:02 PM
That reminds me of some guy that was telling us his wife looked just like Eva Longoria except she shorter, fatter and didn't have a tan.

You've described my wife exactly.

Phobia
04-20-2006, 05:14 PM
While I've got some of you dog people looking at a thread, can you take a look at Gordo and tell me what kind of dog he might be? George wondered off somewhere. His Mom was pitt but we don't know anything about the Dad. My wife snagged him-she said that all of the litter looked like one of those evolution charts and he was in the middle. He's looking a bit sheepish because I had him get on the couch for the pic and he knows he's not supposed to be there. He's about seven months old.

Irish setter or Golden Retriever? I'm no expert but those would be my guesses.