PDA

View Full Version : Why not Ashton Youboty in the 1st?

Chiefnj
04-21-2006, 10:01 AM
There is lots of talk about various players like Cromartie, Hill, Hali and Kiwi in the first round, but one player who seems to get universally ignored on the Planet is Youboty. Why?

I'll be honest and admit I never really looked for him when I saw a few Ohio State games. It's actually pretty tough to follow a corner in college ball while watching t.v. unless the guy is getting picked on. But, from all of the scouting reports, pro day results and highlight film he looks like he has the potential to be a very good corner.

He's got good size and weight, is a solid tackler, no major history of injuries that I am aware of, played at a major program, ran and worked out well, no off field issues and comes from a school that has turned out some decent corners like Clements, Winfield, Springs and recently Gamble.

Why is he overlooked? Why shouldn't the Chiefs take him at #20?

ct
04-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Because he might still be on the board @54.

Dunit35
04-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I'd take him with the 54th pick...no doubt about that. But not in the first round.

Mr. Kotter
04-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Of the top corners, he seems to be the biggest "project"....although some would say that about Cromartie. :shrug:

Here is the take from "NFLCountdown" on him.....

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/ashtonyouboty.html

Strengths:
Has excellent size...A solid athlete...Displays good footwork and fluid hips to transition...Has good ball skills and solid hands for the interception...Physical and a solid tackler...Hails from a program with a strong record of producing top pro cornerbacks as of late...Smart player...Was tested in practice every day going up against Santonio Holmes and Ted Ginn...Still has a lot of upside and potential.

Weaknesses:
Has been known to give up the big play vertically...Inconsistent and will have periods where he looks lost...Still needs to bulk up a bit and get stronger...Lacks a lot of starting experience and is still a little rough around the edges...Will need coaching and development...Doesn't always play up to his talent and ability.

Notes:
Is of Liberian descent...The next great Buckeye cornerback following in the footsteps of guys like Antoine Winfield, Shawn Springs, Nate Clements and Chris Gamble...Would seem to have all the physical tools to be a #1 NFL cover man.

Sounds like William Bartee to me? :banghead:

eazyb81
04-21-2006, 10:47 AM
I think Youboty is overlooked simply because he is not perceived to be in the top tier of CBs in this draft. There will most likely be better CBs available at 20 like Cromartie, Hill, and J-Will, so Youboty is not going to get much hype.

However, if we went with a Dlineman like Bunkley or Lawson in the 1st, then I would definitely be okay with getting Youboty in the 2nd round.

Mr. Kotter
04-21-2006, 10:58 AM
I think Youboty is overlooked simply because he is not perceived to be in the top tier of CBs in this draft. There will most likely be better CBs available at 20 like Cromartie, Hill, and J-Will, so Youboty is not going to get much hype.

However, if we went with a Dlineman like Bunkley or Lawson in the 1st, then I would definitely be okay with getting Youboty in the 2nd round.

I think most of us would be excited to get him in the second, but I suspect he'll go late first or early second.....

Logical
04-21-2006, 11:04 AM
There is lots of talk about various players like Cromartie, Hill, Hali and Kiwi in the first round, but one player who seems to get universally ignored on the Planet is Youboty. Why?

I'll be honest and admit I never really looked for him when I saw a few Ohio State games. It's actually pretty tough to follow a corner in college ball while watching t.v. unless the guy is getting picked on. But, from all of the scouting reports, pro day results and highlight film he looks like he has the potential to be a very good corner.

He's got good size and weight, is a solid tackler, no major history of injuries that I am aware of, played at a major program, ran and worked out well, no off field issues and comes from a school that has turned out some decent corners like Clements, Winfield, Springs and recently Gamble.

Why is he overlooked? Why shouldn't the Chiefs take him at #20?

When I was watching something on ESPN they actually suggested that the Chiefs might take Ashton in the first round. Don't remember which program it was but evidently they agree with you.

jlscorpio
04-21-2006, 11:25 AM
I've switched my 1st round CB allegiance from Youboty to Cromartie...

htismaqe
04-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Youboty's stock has slid recently for some reason. He may be around at our 2nd pick...

CupidStunt
04-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Youboty -- so I hear from OSU fans, at least -- got burned a TON at Ohio State.

I'd say there are at least 40 players better than him, and maybe as many as 50+.

htismaqe
04-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Youboty -- so I hear from OSU fans, at least -- got burned a TON at Ohio State.

I'd say there are at least 40 players better than him, and maybe as many as 50+.

I watched him play quite a bit and never saw him get burned bad. He's solid, and probably has fewer question marks than most of the CB's in this draft.

My only issue is that I always think we should maximize value. If we're the only team looking at him in the #20 range, we should try to trade down...

CupidStunt
04-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I watched him play quite a bit and never saw him get burned bad. He's solid, and probably has fewer question marks than most of the CB's in this draft.

My only issue is that I always think we should maximize value. If we're the only team looking at him in the #20 range, we should try to trade down...

I dunno. I watched OSU a lot, and I like to think of myself as a bit of a home scout, but I just can't say i've studied Youboty enough to know. Funny really, considering how much i've watched the other corners and how much we need a corner.

Here's a quote from NFLDraftCountdown.com:

Weaknesses:
Has been known to give up the big play vertically...Inconsistent and will have periods where he looks lost...Still needs to bulk up a bit and get stronger...Lacks a lot of starting experience and is still a little rough around the edges...Will need coaching and development...Doesn't always play up to his talent and ability.

You could say that all corners give up big plays vertically, and I wouldn't disagree, but i've never seen it made a clear weakness for anyone else. It's always in Youboty's profile.

ct
04-21-2006, 02:13 PM
A CB who tends to get beat vertically is big trouble for our secondary, given our S's cannot help.

htismaqe
04-21-2006, 04:30 PM
That's why we should DRAFT A ****ING SAFETY.

:D

Starbux37
04-21-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm a huge tOSU fan and the reason why not to take Ashton in the first round is simple, he's not first round talent. Second round no problem, but he isn't that good to warrant the kind of money he would get in the first.

Now I'm not saying the kid lacks skills because they are definitely there just not honed. All you have to do is look at tOSU vs. Minnesota game this last season and you would see what I mean. He has tackling ability but has a tendency to loose focus against the pass on occasion.

I like most Bucks fans agree that he should have stayed for his senior year and he probably would have been a top 10 pick next year.