View Full Version : NFL wants 2 teams in LA

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_3733231

NFL wants 2 teams in L.A.
Coliseum upgrades doubly attractive
BY BETH BARRETT and RICK ORLOV, Staff Writers
LA Daily News

With a showdown looming over whether professional football returns to Los Angeles, the National Football League has quietly raised the prospect of bringing not just one but two teams to a rebuilt Memorial Coliseum, the Daily News has learned.
Looking to boost revenues and amortize the soaring cost of transforming the historic Coliseum into a state-of-the- art stadium, sources said the NFL has asked the Coliseum Commission to consider expanding the cap on Coliseum events from 25 to 35 a year. The controversial proposal is certain to increase resistance from the landmark museums in nearby Exposition Park because traffic congestion and limited parking would impact their operations.

"It's just in the talking stage," said one source, adding that the concept was voiced by NFL representatives as part of the lease negotiations over the past couple of weeks.

"When you spend a lot of money on a stadium, you want the right to bring a second team in if that makes sense," the source said. "It would have a huge economic impact. It would be a better economic deal."

Far from certain is whether the NFL would grant Los Angeles one of its 32 existing franchises or whether the city would play host to an expansion team.

The NFL owners have worried that they would not have a balanced schedule if they added a single expansion team. A second Los Angeles team would solve that dilemma.

The second team would be considered five to 10 years after the first team is established, the source said.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said the league also is looking at the possibility of a second team in Anaheim if that city is selected by the owners for a Southern California franchise.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said he had heard some discussion about the possibility of a second team, but that it hasn't been proposed to him officially.

"We have to focus on getting one team, and on our terms," Villaraigosa said. "I want a football team. I think the people of the city want a football team. But, we have made clear we are not prepared to give away the store to get one.

"I think they realize where we stand on this and I think we've gone as far as we can."

City Councilman Bernard Parks, who has been leading the local effort to return pro football to the Coliseum, said he did not believe the two-team concept would detract from the ongoing negotiations to win the right for one team.

Parks and a team from the Coliseum Commission are scheduled to make a presentation May 2 to NFL owners, hoping to persuade them that Los Angeles should be selected over Anaheim or Pasadena for a Southern California football team. The owners are scheduled to make a decision May 21 when they meet in Denver.

"So far, the idea of a second team is just something that's been bouncing around back and forth for the past six months," Parks said. "I don't know how serious it is. I am looking to get one team."

Councilman Herb Wesson, who serves on the City Council's Ad Hoc Committee on Stadiums, said he would be surprised if L.A. got a second team.

"It would be a new wrinkle to me," Wesson said. "I think we would be open to just about anything, but that we ought to concentrate on bringing one in now."

Some officials are concerned, however, about giving too much of the Exposition Park operation to the NFL at the expense of other attractions, such as the Natural History Museum, the California Science Center and the California African American History Museum.

Jane Pisano, president of the Natural History Museum, said any increase in the number of event days presents a potential problem for the museum.

"My first reaction is that whatever the state and the NFL agree to, it's very, very important that the missions of the cultural and community institutions of the park be respected, and that those institutions be able to continue to serve the public.

"The challenge for all of us is to accommodate a fairly, fully utilized Coliseum and all the events at the cultural institutions. It will require give and take, and working together for all the entities in the park to carry out this mission."

County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, who also serves on the Coliseum Commission, said he is not opposed to a second football team - although he finds irony in this latest proposal - but will hold firm on the number of dates made available to professional football.

"It is pretty funny that for 11 years, the Coliseum wasn't good enough for one team and now they're talking about bringing in two," Yaroslavsky said. "I think we could accommodate two teams without taking away any more prime dates.

"The 25 prime dates we negotiated was a compromise between the NFL, the Coliseum and the stakeholders in the park."

Also, Yaroslavsky said he is concerned about the amount of time it is taking to reach a conclusion on the negotiations for one team.

"I'm not sure what to make of this," Yaroslavsky said. "We have a lot of issues that could have been and should have been resolved already, but they keep raising new ones. There are a series of things they keep raising and this is just the latest."

Coliseum Commissioner Bill Chadwick, an appointee of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, said he doesn't expect the second-team issue to be a matter of consideration at the May 2 presentation to the NFL owners.

Instead, he said, it is more of a long-term issue for the Coliseum Commission to consider.

"It is something we could do without a dramatic increase in prime events," Chadwick said. "What we are talking about is six USC games, 10 games for one professional team and possibly 10 dates for a second professional team. That's a total of 26 for us to accommodate."

Chadwick, who said he has yet to take a position on a second team at the facility, said there is some concern by others in the Exposition Park area on the impact.

"You can look at this in a couple of ways," Chadwick said. "One is, a rising tide lifts all boats. You could be talking about 1 million more visitors to Exposition Park, who see all the stuff we have here and will want to come back.

"The other side of that is, OK, all these people might be coming here for a football game, but will they come back to the Natural History Museum, the Science Center, the African-American Museum? I don't know.

"And, what does it do to these locations to lose prime time to a second team? These are all questions that have to be answered."

BIG_DADDY
04-21-2006, 10:37 AM
If the talent pool gets too diluted they will destroy the game IMO. THey could already cut back on a team or two IMO.

Skip Towne
04-21-2006, 10:40 AM
The problem is there are already two teams in LA. USC and UCLA. That is all the football those folks want.

chiefqueen
04-21-2006, 10:41 AM
The NFL works just fine with an odd # of teams. The earth continued to rotate when the NFL was a 31-team league from 1999-2001.

StcChief
04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Send the freakin' Lambs back home to LA.

Bugeater
04-21-2006, 10:43 AM
They already had 2 teams and lost them both. F-em.

chiefqueen
04-21-2006, 10:44 AM
The problem is there are already two teams in LA. USC and UCLA.

..........and some would argue that these are "pro" teams that just happen to play on Saturdays instead of Sundays.

MOhillbilly
04-21-2006, 10:46 AM
The NFL works just fine with an odd # of teams. The earth continued to rotate when the NFL was a 31-team league from 1999-2001.
The level of play has absolutely gone down.

vckcchiefs04
04-21-2006, 10:52 AM
That town would not support one team, let alone two. Screw them! They should not let go of the teams they had to begin with.......last I checked, the NFL was making tons of money without that no-sport derserving town.

morphius
04-21-2006, 10:57 AM
I could see one team, but two is just silly. It's not like NY teams where most the NJ people are Giants fans and the NY people are the Jets fans. There is no border there to make one think that there should be two teams, and the State already has a few other teams, so they are not going to be pulling in people from outside the city. Plus they need to prove that they can support one team before they should get a second team.

StcChief
04-21-2006, 11:10 AM
NFL analysis on this seems way off to me as well.
Just looking at size marketshare for advertising $$$$.
Without fan support it wont last.

With SD Chargers just 100 miles south. Drawing fans from Orange county...It seems just ease to get to SD as downtown LA. and safer for those fans....

A single team in downtown LA might make sense.
Drawing crowd from LA, North, North W county

Two teams NFW.

Move the Chargers maybe or an Expansion team.

The folks out there would rather be in the desert/beach/mountains etc on Sunday...
As my Orange county cousins have told me before.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2006, 11:11 AM
That town would not support one team, let alone two. Screw them! They should not let go of the teams they had to begin with.......last I checked, the NFL was making tons of money without that no-sport derserving town.

While I'm not a Los Angeles native, I find this to be a ridiculous statement. The Dodgers and Angels do just fine, as well as the Kings & Ducks. Oh, and have you ever heard of the Lakers?

I wasn't unhappy that both the Raiders and Rams left town at that time because it meant that I could have the possibility of more Chiefs games on local TV. But with the Sunday Ticket, I'd enjoy it if Los Angeles got a team again. Though like Big Daddy, I'm a little concerned with the dwindling talent pool. I think that Cleveland & Houston are prime examples.

And let's get one thing straight - It's not that L.A. or Anaheim couldn't support a team or that no one cared. Those two franchises have AWFUL owners. Davis is only concerned about making a buck, so he moved back to Oakland and the revamped stadium with the promise of hundreds of millions of dollars. The Ram played at the Coliseum from 1950 to 1980 and they were sold out for years. After Frontiere's husband Carroll Rosenblum died, SHE decided to move the team to Anaheim for more money. Then she moved the team again less than 14 years later.

The blame doesn't all reside on the residents of Los Angeles. Just as it didn't in Houston or Cleveland or Baltimore.

vckcchiefs04
04-21-2006, 11:35 AM
While I'm not a Los Angeles native, I find this to be a ridiculous statement. The Dodgers and Angels do just fine, as well as the Kings & Ducks. Oh, and have you ever heard of the Lakers?

I wasn't unhappy that both the Raiders and Rams left town at that time because it meant that I could have the possibility of more Chiefs games on local TV. But with the Sunday Ticket, I'd enjoy it if Los Angeles got a team again. Though like Big Daddy, I'm a little concerned with the dwindling talent pool. I think that Cleveland & Houston are prime examples.

And let's get one thing straight - It's not that L.A. or Anaheim couldn't support a team or that no one cared. Those two franchises have AWFUL owners. Davis is only concerned about making a buck, so he moved back to Oakland and the revamped stadium with the promise of hundreds of millions of dollars. The Ram played at the Coliseum from 1950 to 1980 and they were sold out for years. After Frontiere's husband Carroll Rosenblum died, SHE decided to move the team to Anaheim for more money. Then she moved the team again less than 14 years later.

The blame doesn't all reside on the residents of Los Angeles. Just as it didn't in Houston or Cleveland or Baltimore.
Ok...I change my "No Sport deserving" comment to No NFL deserving town. Your crying to the wrong group. Your going to be hard pressed to find anyone who cares (other than the comish) about the NFL in L.A. in L.A. itself, let alone anyone outside L.A. They pissed away their teams they had owners or not. I did not see many people cry about them after they left.....once again, except for the NFL. Enjoy your other sports there and be happy.

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2006, 11:42 AM

Good post I agree with you.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Ok...I change my "No Sport deserving" comment to No NFL deserving town. Your crying to the wrong group. Your going to be hard pressed to find anyone who cares (other than the comish) about the NFL in L.A. in L.A. itself, let alone anyone outside L.A. They pissed away their teams they had owners or not. I did not see many people cry about them after they left.....once again, except for the NFL. Enjoy your other sports there and be happy.

I don't see anywhere that I'm "crying'. Did Cleveland, Baltimore & Houston "piss away" their teams? Davis & Frontiere never complained about attendence. They didn't demand new stadiums or improvements, nor did either complain that they couldn't make any money. They just both left for more money.

And people in Los Angeles were and ARE upset about it. The sportsbars are packed every Sunday with people. And the amount of Raiders gear in this town is unreal.

dtebbe
04-21-2006, 11:44 AM
I don't understand this fixation on LA. They couldn't sell out 1 team, which was not a bad Raiders team, how the hell are they gonna sell out 2 teams in the same ol' shithole stadium?

You can put steak sauce on a hot dog, but it's still a weenie....

DT

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't understand this fixation on LA. They couldn't sell out 1 team, which was not a bad Raiders team, how the hell are they gonna sell out 2 teams in the same ol' shithole stadium?

DT

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

dtebbe
04-21-2006, 11:47 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ok, but where is the $$$$$$ going to come from if the stands are 1/2 full?

If the stadium does not sell out local TV is blacked out so where's the $$$ coming from?

DT

Amnorix
04-21-2006, 11:57 AM
32 teams really is the perfect number in a hundred ways. If we're going to have a team or two in LA, then I'd really prefer that they be transplants rather than newly created.

But the application fee to start up a team is a half billion bucks or whatever, so unfortunately the money will make the decision for the NFL...

kaplin42
04-21-2006, 12:06 PM

How about Screw YOU!!! I live in LA, have all my life, and I would love to have a team here. I go out every sunday and watch the games. I will always be a chiefs fan, but it would be nice to have the option to go to a game once in awhile with out having to drive 2 and half hours just to get to SD, and then trying to get into the stadium. Especialy since by then gas will be about $4 a gallon around here. LA would be a great place to have a team. Two teams, I'm not so sure about, but one team would be awesome. You better believe that the stadium would sell out every weekend here.

Although I can see the point about the talent pool, I really dont want a transplant. We would end up with the Saints, boo to that. I would rather have a new team that was all LA. The good thing is that the Raiders will keep their crappy fans for the most part.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2006, 12:10 PM

DT

Are you asking rhetorically, or do you really want to know the answer? Los Angeles has changed drastically in the past 12 years since the NFL left. The subway has changed the real estate landscape dramatically and with that, many of the more "urban" areas have been leveled and replaced with high priced condos, outdoor malls, etc. The real estate values have tripled in the past 3 years. The economy is absolutely booming and re-developments are everywhere.

I can catch the subway at Hollywood & Highland (just a few minutes from my house) and be downtown at the Coliseum in about 10 minutes. It's like that all over the city now (though transit time obviously varies). And IF the NFL did it right and gave Los Angeles an expansion team, I think it would be nearly impossible for every game NOT to be a sellout. The entertainment industry alone would probaby pay for the majority, if not all of the tickets.

I just hope that when it happens, it's an AFC team so that I can see the Chiefs every few years without traveling :)

bogie
04-21-2006, 12:25 PM
LA needs a team because I want it. The End.

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Get rid of Al and the Raiders are LA's team. I still think the Jaguars are the most likely team to be moved to LA.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2006, 02:10 PM

DT

The fixation is based on the fact that the NFL feels that they'll be able to charge more for rights and broadcast fees in the next TV contract if there's at least one team in Los Angeles. I don't know if you're aware of the population here, but there's over 20 million people in the L.A. basin. In addition to the TV fees, I'm sure that you can only imagine the merchanding income from an L.A. based team.

vckcchiefs04
04-21-2006, 02:55 PM
How about Screw YOU!!! I live in LA, have all my life, and I would love to have a team here. I go out every sunday and watch the games. I will always be a chiefs fan, but it would be nice to have the option to go to a game once in awhile with out having to drive 2 and half hours just to get to SD, and then trying to get into the stadium. Especialy since by then gas will be about $4 a gallon around here. LA would be a great place to have a team. Two teams, I'm not so sure about, but one team would be awesome. You better believe that the stadium would sell out every weekend here.

Although I can see the point about the talent pool, I really dont want a transplant. We would end up with the Saints, boo to that. I would rather have a new team that was all LA. The good thing is that the Raiders will keep their crappy fans for the most part.
Sorry to tell you son......but you still get the "Who the hell cares about L.A.?" Nobody here. Why would you think the stadium would sell out there? They could not before, why would they now? Fairweather Fans may as well have been bron in L.A. You have the Lakers, be happy with that. nlm <<Here's to you and L.A.'s problems.

bogie
04-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Sorry to tell you son......but you still get the "Who the hell cares about L.A.?" Nobody here. Why would you think the stadium would sell out there? They could not before, why would they now? Fairweather Fans may as well have been bron in L.A. You have the Lakers, be happy with that. nlm <<Here's to you and L.A.'s problems.

By "Nobody here" do you mean nobody in your house, or wherever your computer is? STFU n00b!!

Coach
04-21-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm thinking "Why bother? 2 NFL Teams (Raiders and Rams) Left LA. If they can't keep one of the two teams in LA, why bother putting another two in there?"

Besides, there is way too man teams in CA that we don't need to put anymore in there. SF, SD, and Oakland.

How about putting some of the teams somewhere say, Portland? :shrug:

kaplin42
04-21-2006, 03:09 PM

Well Gramps, its obvious that you're so old that you have forgotten the meaning of change. DMC has given you tons of info why things would be differant. You seriously think that stadium that has over 3 million people living within 20 miles can't muster up 60 or 70 thousand people? How about everyone would be excited to have a team back here so they would go and support it. Or how about all the people that live here that started following other teams, they would go to the game when they played the LA team in LA. How about it doesnt affect you one bit, so what do you care? If you dont like LA thats fine, but not wanting us to have a team when the city obviously wants one, for no other reason than just to be an a$$, thats a bit tarded don't you think.

vckcchiefs04
04-21-2006, 03:25 PM
so what do you care? If you dont like LA thats fine, but not wanting us to have a team when the city obviously wants one, for no other reason than just to be an a$$, thats a bit tarded don't you think.
That is the whole point kid......Who does care? Other than you and the few people who you think really do care there?

vckcchiefs04
04-21-2006, 03:29 PM
By "Nobody here" do you mean nobody in your house, or wherever your computer is? STFU n00b!!

Just because someone does not have thousands of posts does snot make them a noob. But whatever makes you happy, you keep on thinkin that. You can just STFU yourself in the meantime. 4321

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking "Why bother? 2 NFL Teams (Raiders and Rams) Left LA. If they can't keep one of the two teams in LA, why bother putting another two in there?"

Besides, there is way too man teams in CA that we don't need to put anymore in there. SF, SD, and Oakland.

How about putting some of the teams somewhere say, Portland? :shrug:

Coach, it's obvious that you have not read my previous posts. The City and people had NOTHING to do with Raiders and Rams leaving. In addition, there are over 40 million (legal) people living in California. I think that this state (and this city of over 20 million) can support another football team.

Again, alluding to my previous post, the reason the NFL wants a team in LA is M-O-N-EY. Ad revenue, merchandising and TV contracts. PORTLAND? Are you crazy? Who's gonna support the Portland LandCrabs or whatever, especially since they don't even have a stadium, and are in a smaller market than KC?

kaplin42
04-21-2006, 03:42 PM
That is the whole point kid......Who does care? Other than you and the few people who you think really do care there?

The people in LA care, the NFL cares, just because you don't doesnt mean jack sh!t. Other posters have been against it, but havent come across the way you have. And you're right, your post count doesn't neccessarily mean you are a n00b, but you post style leads me to believe that you are a troll. You can take your condescending attitude and http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/kaplin42/bukkake.gif me. You more than likely don't live in California, let alone LA. You have no idea what the people are like here, and what we want. I don't presume to know how the people think and act in KC, because I have never lived there. You're pretty much out of your league, and talking out of your a$$.

Skip Towne
04-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Just because someone does not have thousands of posts does snot make them a noob. But whatever makes you happy, you keep on thinkin that. You can just STFU yourself in the meantime. 4321
Shut up, n00b.