PDA

View Full Version : Indians vs. Royals 4/21 Thread...Baird Watch

petegz28
04-21-2006, 05:38 PM
I won't be able to watch the game tonight so I thought I'd get it all in now.

Damn it Sweeney can't you get at least a SAC Fly?
Another flippin walk???
It's called a SAC Bunt Coach Bell
Come on Berroa get your head out of your ass
Sisco blows another one?!?!?!
Sheesh this is pathetic 2 hit in 8 innings?
Walk #9

That should about cover any comments I was going to make about tonight's game.

Have fun all!!!!

VonneMarie
04-21-2006, 05:40 PM
ROFL - 11 straight, baby!

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Keep ****ing doubting the boys in blue.

big nasty kcnut
04-21-2006, 05:41 PM
We got to win i still believe. Beside if push come to shove we will get frank white as a new manager.

petegz28
04-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Baird is as good as gone. From what I read in the Star I don't think Glass is going to trust him with a 1st pick in the draft. Too much money is involved there.

I mean come on Baird keeps talking liek Grienke is going to save our season.

Anyone who thinks that at this point needs a severe head examination

VonneMarie
04-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Royals | Owner promises swift, severe changes if losing streak goes on
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:24:42 -0700

The Kansas City Star's Bob Dutton reports Kansas City Royals owner David Glass is upset with his team's 2-12 start and warns major changes may be on the horizon if the lackluster play continues, even going so far as to say general manager Allard Baird may be on the hot seat. "It has to change quickly," Glass said. "We are not willing to wait to see if it gets better. We have to make it get better. As a fan, you lose games and it just sticks with you. You dwell on it. Each loss makes it worse."

:rolleyes:

petegz28
04-21-2006, 06:07 PM

The Kansas City Star's Bob Dutton reports Kansas City Royals owner David Glass is upset with his team's 2-12 start and warns major changes may be on the horizon if the lackluster play continues, even going so far as to say general manager Allard Baird may be on the hot seat. "It has to change quickly," Glass said. "We are not willing to wait to see if it gets better. We have to make it get better. As a fan, you lose games and it just sticks with you. You dwell on it. Each loss makes it worse."

The part of that article that caught my eye was the part about having the 1st pick int he draft and how that usually command a bonus of $4 million. I don't think Glass is going to let Baird make that pick in June.

AirForceChief
04-21-2006, 06:19 PM
At least they're off to a fast demise tonight, no hanging around till the fith inning or something insane like that...cripes.

AirForceChief
04-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Incredibly, Mike Sweeney has raised his batting average to .146 -- woo, hoo?

Eleazar
04-21-2006, 06:42 PM

Why the eyeroll? I thought this is what everyone wanted to hear? Doesn't everyone want Baird out?

"But I want Glass gone... :deevee:" Too bad. He's the owner. We're stuck with him, like it or not. We can all at least be realistic and not pine for something that is impossible.

It probably is time for Baird to go. I agree with that sentiment. It's not that I don't think he had a good plan, or that the organization wasn't trying to cultivate talent or anything like that. I think he's a good baseball guy, but we're in our 6th year and this generation of talent has not panned out enough to get it done. You only get so many chances in this business.

The Royals are in a very tough situation trying to compete in baseball. A lot of guys who would fail miserably here, as Baird has, might be successful in another city where they have exponentially more margin for error. We've missed on free agents - every team does. We've missed on draft picks - every team does that too. But when you're in a small market, you can't afford to do that.

I don't think you can say with certainty that if Cashman were here, or to a lesser degree Beane, were here, they would be successful. There isn't anyone who has a record of continued success with a small market team, since the revenue situation in baseball has become protracted in the last 10 years or so. Florida stole a world series and then dismantled the team. A few middle-tier teams make the playoffs and get spanked by a big market team. But expecting to go deep into the playoffs continually is not realistic, IMO.

We can and have a right to expect good evaluation of talent, and good development in the minor leagues. The lack of those are unacceptable. That's where we can improve.

Let's hire a new General Manager. Let's find someone with some experience who is a talent evaluator first.

Next, let's flush out the minor league system. Get rid of all the old vestiges of non-success. People cry about not spending money on free agents, but what we reall need to do is break the bank to assemble the best of the best hitting, pitching, defense, baserunning coaches for the minor leagues. Right now, clearly we don't have people fostering development like we need.

I don't believe that we can never win with David Glass as the owner. He's trying to operate the team at a break-even point. He can be blamed for sticking by people who aren't getting it done for too long. You can't blame him for not bankrupting himself with rampant spending. We can win with Glass, we just need the right people under him.

Let's not just send Baird to the guillotine over a losing streak. Let's make sure that we go in and purge all of the suck from top to bottom.

I want empty offices in Surprise, High Desert, Wichita, Omaha, KC, everywhere. Bring in a veteran GM with a history of success. Blow someone away monetarily.

Everyone complains that we didn't sign some name pitcher (not that there were any) in the offseason, but throwing any big name free agents onto this team would be lipstick on a pig. We need to spend money assembling the greatest combination of GM and minor league system coaches that are possibly available. Worry about free agents down the road.

Hammock Parties
04-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Rangers and D-Rays in a low-scoring game...5-5 after two innings....

AirForceChief
04-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Incredibly, Mike Sweeney has raised his batting average to .146 -- woo, hoo?

Look Out!! Now up to .167...will this madness never cease????

Hammock Parties
04-21-2006, 07:26 PM
9-6 Rangers after 3 innings now. ROFL

I don't think I've ever seen this high scoring of a game this early.

leviw
04-21-2006, 07:54 PM
First and third, nobody out...Bottom of 6. Sweeney on third....yeah, he's 3-3.

Hammock Parties
04-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Rangers 13, Devil Rays 6

End of the fourth...

ROFL

leviw
04-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in 20 innings...and for just the second time in 32 innings...THE ROYALS ARE ON THE BOARD...

3-1 Tribe.

leviw
04-21-2006, 07:59 PM
LET'S GO ROYALS!

3-2 Tribe. Angel with the RBI single. Still batting, just one out, bottom of 6.

leviw
04-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Sac Fly Costa. Look out World Series....

this thing is tied....3-3.

AirForceChief
04-21-2006, 08:04 PM
First and third, nobody out...Bottom of 6. Sweeney on third....yeah, he's 3-3.

My, God, man...why'd that make him .186 for the season...Frieght Train A Rollin'!!

leviw
04-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Please, folks. There's little room left on this bandwagon. Step aside.

Dave Lane
04-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Wheres my "I Believe" T-Shirt..

Dave

Hammock Parties
04-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Wow. An inning with no runs. CAN WE GET SOME OFFENSE PLEASE?

Hammock Parties
04-21-2006, 08:14 PM
The Devil Rays have thrown 128 pitches in five innings. ROFL

leviw
04-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Indians have 'em juiced. 2 out, top of 7. Elmer needs to throw a strike...

leviw
04-21-2006, 08:20 PM
....instead he gives up a 3-RBI double. Could've been worse. Way to keep it inside the ballpark, Dessens. You tool.

JBucc
04-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Do my eyes decieve me or did the ESPN ticker just say Sweeny was 3-3

leviw
04-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Do my eyes decieve me or did the ESPN ticker just say Sweeny was 3-3

Please log on to MLB.com and add him to your All-Star ballot, now.

AirForceChief
04-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Please, folks. There's little room left on this bandwagon. Step aside.

And after a bases clearing double, there was lots and lots of elbow room...

AirForceChief
04-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Emil Brown is friggin aweful...over and over again. Why isn't Guiel taking his place!

leviw
04-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Ugh. Why is this STILL frustrating???

AirForceChief
04-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Ugh. Why is this STILL frustrating???

Because we just can't accept the fact that they stink this friggin bad...

nychief
04-21-2006, 09:13 PM
just kill me

gblowfish
04-21-2006, 09:14 PM
David Glass names his new GM to clean up Allard Baird's mess.

It's Skip Towne???

Wow! Whodathunkit!!!

Skip Towne
04-21-2006, 09:22 PM
David Glass names his new GM to clean up Allard Baird's mess.

It's Skip Towne???

Wow! Whodathunkit!!!
Mighty smart move on Glass' part to get :skip: to run the Royals. He's a genious.

AirForceChief
04-21-2006, 09:24 PM
My, God, man...why'd that make him .186 for the season...Frieght Train A Rollin'!!

With that double, Sweeney pushes his average to .200!! Again, I proffer: Woo, hoo?