PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good zoo to take my daughter to.

Chief Roundup
04-23-2006, 09:04 AM
I was wondering whether Kansas City or St. Louis had the better zoo.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

LocoChiefsFan
04-23-2006, 09:07 AM
The one in St.Louis is free

Skip Towne
04-23-2006, 09:07 AM
The St. Louis zoo has had a good reputation for years. I don't know about lately.

Ultra Peanut
04-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Speaking of zoos, I took this picture of the Giant Panda exhibit (well, their indoor space, where the two big lumps of fur were passed out asleep) at the Memphis Zoo in 2004:

Bearcat
04-23-2006, 09:10 AM
A few years ago, didn't KC's lose its certification or whatever zoos have that make them official zoos?

Drive a few more hours and go to Omaha.... it's better than most and it'll take the sting out of having to go to St. Louis.

morphius
04-23-2006, 09:15 AM
My vote goes to the Omaha Zoo. People from KC take their kids up there.

I feel like Skip with his HDTV bit, but when my Wife was in San Diego people from San Diego were saying that they actually liked the Omaha Zoo more. With San Diego being rated as one of the top zoo's in the country, I think that really says something.

CosmicPal
Well, that's strange.

Grammatically speaking, your sentence is incorrect. It should be written as Looking for a good zoo to take my daughter to.

However, you wrote it as: Lookng for a good zoo to take my daughter too- which means "also" Because in retrospect, you're also going to take your daughter. But, it's still wrong. But, in a strange way- it's also correct.

:D

morphius
A few years ago, didn't KC's lose its certification or whatever zoos have that make them official zoos?

Drive a few more hours and go to Omaha.... it's better than most and it'll take the sting out of having to go to St. Louis.
That was short lived. They hired the manager of the Omaha zoo, so hopefully it will improve.

milkman
04-23-2006, 09:17 AM
WalMart.

Oh sorry, you said good zoo.

CosmicPal
04-23-2006, 09:17 AM

I thought the KC Zoo was going to build a state-of-the art bubble-like structure to keep a remarkably consistent environ for all the animals, but also to allow peeps to walk around the zoo comfortably even during a January blizzard?

Whatever happened to this project?

JBucc
04-23-2006, 09:18 AM
I hear the San Diego Zoo is pretty good. Might be a little out of your way though.

plbrdude
04-23-2006, 09:21 AM
omaha zoo would be worth the trip

Chief Roundup
04-23-2006, 09:22 AM
what does it cost to get into the Omaha zoo?

Frankie
04-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Looking for a good zoo to take my daughter to.If they want her they'll come and get her themselves!
:p

Frankie
04-23-2006, 09:52 AM
If they want her they'll come and get her themselves!
:p

Sorry CR. You set it up and I HAD to use that line. I'm sure she's actually very pretty.
:)

Chief Roundup
04-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah it is amazing that she has won 2 beauty pagents yet loves animals to the point of almost being a tom boy.

Bugeater
04-23-2006, 09:56 AM
what does it cost to get into the Omaha zoo?
http://www.omahazoo.com/visitors/index.asp?page=/visitors/fees.htm

Simplex3
04-23-2006, 10:16 AM
I can't recommend the Omaha Zoo highly enough. Been there three times myself including a trip with my (at the time) 1yo and 3yo. The trip really isn't bad from KC, certainly no worse than StL.

Bearcat
04-23-2006, 10:46 AM
I thought the KC Zoo was going to build a state-of-the art bubble-like structure to keep a remarkably consistent environ for all the animals, but also to allow peeps to walk around the zoo comfortably even during a January blizzard?

Whatever happened to this project?

Light rail, Wizard of Oz theme park, "We must stick with the plan, which is youth", light rail, rolling roof, repaving that awful section of Broadway around Truman Road, "The Five Year Plan"...... the blackhole of ideas.

(not to sound completely cynical... we're getting better... Sprint Arena/downtown development, Kansas Speedway development, Zona Rosa, improvements to the Sports Complex, etc.)

CrazyHorse
04-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks in advance.

St.Louis. It's one I have been to. Don't know about KCs. But as has been stated, STL is free.

Also, dont forget that Eureka Springs has that Big cat exhibit too. Anna said there were over 100 cats there. Some bears too, but mostly Cats. That's only a couple hours from where you are.

Have you taken her horseback riding yet?

RealSNR
04-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Sioux Falls, SD has a rather nice zoo as well if you care to make the trip

Scorp
04-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Omaha Zoo is the shiznit! :thumb:

Saulbadguy
04-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Omaha, and Wichita.

Psyko Tek
04-23-2006, 01:29 PM
the omaha zoo is the best I've evere seen , but I've only been to 3
the other two being in phoenix

Chief Roundup
04-23-2006, 01:34 PM
St.Louis. It's one I have been to. Don't know about KCs. But as has been stated, STL is free.

Also, dont forget that Eureka Springs has that Big cat exhibit too. Anna said there were over 100 cats there. Some bears too, but mostly Cats. That's only a couple hours from where you are.

Have you taken her horseback riding yet?

No, she said that she has 2 horses of her own. She didn't want to ride someone elses horses.
She has been to the little rock zoo and didn't like it very much.

Chief Roundup
04-23-2006, 01:41 PM
It is about 8hrs from where I live to Omaha.
If she has a good time and gets to see something new, different, and it is a lasting memory I would rather spend a few.

After all the St. Louis one will still be free. ;) :p

Mosbonian
04-23-2006, 01:49 PM
I've been to all 3 Zoo's, and IMO the Omaha Zoo is the best of all 3.....

There is nothing wrong with the STL Zoo, other than it is in STL....plus if you go there you can also take her to Grant's Farm where they house the Clydesdales and have a petting zoo that kids of all ages love. (The bonus for you is that there is the Beer Garden where you can get one free beer)

mmaddog

dr00d
04-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Omaha Zoo is the shiznit! :thumb:

it better be for freaking 10.50 admission.

Bugeater
04-23-2006, 02:09 PM
You get what you pay for. The Henry Doorly Zoo is world-class, the only one to rival it in the US is in San Diego. Check out the photo galleries, the aquarium is really cool, although I've heard of young kids getting freaked out by the underwater tunnel.

http://www.omahazoo.com/gallery/gallery.asp

Bearcat
04-23-2006, 02:15 PM
http://www.omahazoo.com/gallery/gallery.asp

Uh, Chief Roundup, could you pick me up on the way? Yeah, thanks...

jspchief
04-23-2006, 02:16 PM
it better be for freaking 10.50 admission.The only person that would think 10.50 is expensive for that zoo is someone who's bever been there. It's widley regarded as the second best zoo in the entire US, and deservedly so.

Comparing it to the average city zoo is like comparing Disney World to a carnival.

My wife and I have been going every year since the first time we went. And that was before we even had kids. The indoor rainforest or aquarium alone make it worth the trip. It's an all day affair.

KCChiefsMan
04-23-2006, 02:24 PM
when I was a kid, I always hated going to the zoo, it bored me. I did always like aquariums though

ChiefsCountry
04-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Been to KC and St. Louis, but Omaha is the best by far. I think San Diego is the only one better in the country.

CrazyHorse
04-23-2006, 03:11 PM
It is about 8hrs from where I live to Omaha.
If she has a good time and gets to see something new, different, and it is a lasting memory I would rather spend a few.

After all the St. Louis one will still be free. ;) :p

If ya want to spend money and drive halfway across the country, take her to Disneyland. I'll go. It would be a lasting memory for me.

CrazyHorse
04-23-2006, 03:13 PM
when I was a kid, I always hated going to the zoo, it bored me. I did always like aquariums though

Me too. The zoo was no big deal as a kid. I appreciated it more as an adult.

Chief Roundup
04-23-2006, 03:18 PM
If ya want to spend money and drive halfway across the country, take her to Disneyland. I'll go. It would be a lasting memory for me.
Yeah that would be cool too. But I don't have near enough bread for that kind of a trip. It would be hard to put down jack for that place.

luv
04-23-2006, 03:20 PM
I liked the Memphis Zoo. It was bigger than Springfield's (of course), but not so big that you're little one would grow tired. I went about two years ago, and they had the pandas.

Mosbonian
04-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah that would be cool too. But I don't have near enough bread for that kind of a trip. It would be hard to put down jack for that place.

You'd be surprised how cheaply you could go to DisneyWorld...maybe not as cheap as going to the Omaha Zoo, but cheaper than you think.

mmaddog

Logical
04-23-2006, 09:02 PM
My vote goes to the Omaha Zoo. People from KC take their kids up there.

I feel like Skip with his HDTV bit, but when my Wife was in San Diego people from San Diego were saying that they actually liked the Omaha Zoo more. With San Diego being rated as one of the top zoo's in the country, I think that really says something.

The San Diego Zoo is better than Omaha but it is an extreme physical workout to see it all because of the terrain. You see almost as much at Omaha without the workout. I agree it is a pretty fine zoo.

Donger
04-23-2006, 09:04 PM

You're concerned about $10.50? We're taking a family vacation to San Diego (free flights, hotel and car) and we're going to Sea World. Those tickets are ~$78.00 each.

Skip Towne
04-23-2006, 09:10 PM
You're concerned about $10.50? We're taking a family vacation to San Diego (free flights, hotel and car) and we're going to Sea World. Those tickets are ~$78.00 each.
You're so wonderful.

Logical
04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
You're concerned about $10.50? We're taking a family vacation to San Diego (free flights, hotel and car) and we're going to Sea World. Those tickets are ~$78.00 each.If you are paying 78 for a single day ticket someone is ripping you off.

Go to this website and see for yourself.

Donger
04-23-2006, 09:14 PM
You're so wonderful.

Some one needs to change Skip's Depends. He's cranky.

Donger
04-23-2006, 09:15 PM
If you are paying 78 for a single day ticket someone is ripping you off.

Go to this website and see for yourself.

Ah. I just checked their website. Right around $50?

My wife does that so I'm pleasantly surprised when it's not as expensive as she'd told me.

Skip Towne
04-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Some one needs to change Skip's Depends. He's cranky.
Not cranky at all just a little weary of your egotism.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks in advance.

You could take her to Phobia's house?

Deberg_1990
04-24-2006, 01:24 AM
St Louis Zoo is nice. and of course its free. KC used to be pretty ghetto but since they renovated it about 8-9 years ago its not a bad day out anymore. The other Zoo's ive been too are in Washington DC, San Diego and San Antonio. They are all pretty nice, but the San Diego Zoo tops them all. Busch Gardens in Tampa Bay also had some very nice animal exhibits. Its half theme park, half zoo.

kcfanXIII
04-24-2006, 02:37 AM
i went to the omaha zoo when i was in 8th grade, that indoor rain forrest leaves an impression. they were just starting the aquarium then.

went to the kc zoo last week. the new africa exihbit is cool, but a lot of walking cause the trams were down. wouldn't recomend a trip to kc to see the zoo, unless you were already here for something else. a few cool features though. like a snack area right by the giraffes, they come up and eat off the trees no more than 10 feet from you.

i'd say go to omaha.

Troy1220
04-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Don't laugh, but if you are near Caney, Kansas they have a great little zoo. It's called the Safari Zoological Park or something. The thing I liked about that zoo is they have guided tours and you actually get closer to the animals than regular zoos. They have all the exotic animals including white tigers etcetera. I even had a monkey throw poop at me!! It's small, but I was impressed.

Troy

StcChief
04-24-2006, 06:55 AM
St.Louis zoo is one of the best in the country.
Right there with SD Zoo.

Lots of new stuff in the last few years. Ape house etc.

http://www.slfp.com/ForestParkZOO.htm

new city aqurium,
Grants Farm for up close and personnel with animals.
Clydesdales live there, Buffalo, goats, etc.

morphius
04-24-2006, 07:16 AM
The San Diego Zoo is better than Omaha but it is an extreme physical workout to see it all because of the terrain. You see almost as much at Omaha without the workout. I agree it is a pretty fine zoo.
I haven't been to the one in SD, all I can go on is what I heard from the wives friends. I have a feeling they are comparable, except Omaha doesn't spend the Million per year per Panda and I don't think Omaha does the amount of animal research that the SD zoo does. I wish I would have had time to go and check it out when I was there a few years ago, but we went to sea world instead.

Infidel Goat
04-24-2006, 07:44 AM
The Saint Louis Zoo is better.

If it is a family trip, the Science Center might also interest you. Like the zoo, it is free (and also in Forest Park).

Other cool places for kids (that cost a little bit) are the Magic House (in Kirkwood) and the City Museum (in Downtown).