PDA

View Full Version : Possible Reggie Bush scandal at USC?

BigRock
04-23-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm sure this will amount to nothing, but you never know, it could be interesting. Who knew that Yahoo Sports practiced such investigative journalism?

Yahoo! Sports report: Reggie Bush's family home

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
April 23, 2006

SPRING VALLEY, Calif. – In this sprawling hilltop community with a breathtaking view of Sweetwater Lake, it was no secret who lived in the 3,000-square-foot house at the corner of Apple Street and Luther Avenue.

That home, residents would tell you, was where Reggie Bush's family lived.

That is, until this weekend, when the family abruptly packed up and vacated the residence – less than 24 hours after Yahoo! Sports approached Bush's mother about information linking the property to Michael Michaels, a man who is alleged to have tried to play a role in steering Bush toward an agent and who also has ties to a sports marketing company.

Days before Bush is expected to be the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, unanswered questions about the residence and how his mother, stepfather and brother came to live in it within the last year have prompted the University of Southern California to refer the matter to the Pacific-10 Conference for an investigation.

NCAA statutes prohibit student-athletes or their families from receiving extra benefits from professional sports agents, marketing companies or their representatives. A breach of these statutes could result in an athlete being ruled ineligible, and games in which they played could be forfeited.

<a href=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlnpwSVVaoS6ihI2hrymYEY5nYcB?slug=cr-bush042306&prov=yhoo&type=lgns>Read the whole story at this link.</a>

DaKCMan AP
04-23-2006, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/dakcman/gator_champs2.jpg
http://plaza.ufl.edu/dakcman/logo_head.jpg

JBucc
04-23-2006, 04:53 PM
I knew he was a dirty rat

cdcox
04-23-2006, 04:54 PM
First the whole wearing #5 thing and now this.

Demonpenz
04-23-2006, 04:56 PM
maybe his stock falls to us!

Skip Towne
04-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Damn that USC. Stealing MU's thunder like that.

listopencil
04-23-2006, 05:40 PM
NCAA statutes prohibit student-athletes or their families from receiving extra benefits from professional sports agents, marketing companies or their representatives. A breach of these statutes could result in an athlete being ruled ineligible, and games in which they played could be forfeited.

Unless they mean ineligible for the draft (is that even possible?) it doesn't effect him. I can't imagine USC having to forfeit if they immediately turned it in to the NCAA. Could mean nothing even if it's true.

duncan_idaho
04-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Damn that USC. Stealing MU's thunder like that.

C'mon Skip, give your team credit where it's due. Boosters paying for thousands of dollars worth of stuff is kU's forte.

Skip Towne
04-23-2006, 07:12 PM
C'mon Skip, give your team credit where it's due. Boosters paying for thousands of dollars worth of stuff is kU's forte.
Maybe you should give it a try. Then your players wouldn't have to steal. Mizzou Athletic Scandals, the gift that keeps on giving.

KChiefsQT
04-23-2006, 07:15 PM
pahahah this shit happens all the time. An unnamed friend of mine that plays for Uof (unnamed) magically recieved a brand new truck our senior year in highschool and he didn't front the bill.

JBucc
04-23-2006, 07:17 PM
I think the proper punishment would be to cancel USC's season

Skip Towne
04-23-2006, 07:20 PM
pahahah this shit happens all the time. An unnamed friend of mine that plays for Uof (unnamed) magically recieved a brand new truck our senior year in highschool and he didn't front the bill.
He plays for KU doesn't he? Who is it? Jackson? Kaun? Wright?

KChiefsQT
04-23-2006, 07:21 PM
He plays for KU doesn't he? Who is it? Jackson? Kaun? Wright?
No... Arizona if ya must know.

JBucc
04-23-2006, 07:23 PM
No... Arizona if ya must know.It's Akin Akinniyi isn't it

KChiefsQT
04-23-2006, 07:24 PM
It's Akin Akinniyi isn't it
whoever the hell that is.

JBucc
04-23-2006, 07:25 PM
whoever the hell that is.Conan Amituanau?

KChiefsQT
04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Conan Amituanau?
who are these people??

arrowheadnation
04-23-2006, 07:58 PM
So if it turns out that this is all true, that means the 2005 National Championship is vacated. That would have to be a first.

jspchief
04-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Bad news for USC.
Of no consequence to Reggie Bush.

KCBOSS1
04-23-2006, 08:41 PM
This kind of stuff, I believe is actually more common than not in big schools. Alumni having local businesses, players having $75,000 per year summer jobs. stuff like that.

Jim Jones
04-23-2006, 08:43 PM
So if it turns out that this is all true, that means the 2005 National Championship is vacated. That would have to be a first.

I think they'd only wipe away the games where he was deemed "ineligible", which was his junior season.

But I HIGHLY doubt it ever gets that far.

alanm
04-23-2006, 08:52 PM
I think they'd only wipe away the games where he was deemed "ineligible", which was his junior season.

But I HIGHLY doubt it ever gets that far.
I dunno. I can remember it happened to Oklahoma way back in the early 70's with a kid they had named Kerry Weinmaster or something like that who was their QB. Oklahoma had to forfeit all the games he played in and as a result Nebraska was named the Big 8 champion that year.
So there is precedent.

I'd laugh my ass off if USC had to forfeit their Nat'l championship. ROFL

KCChiefsMan
04-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Jeff Graves was often seen driving a brand new escalade around campus when he played here

Deberg_1990
04-24-2006, 01:29 AM
Its no wonder why these top athletes act they way they do these days. They get cash, free cars, free homes, dont have to do homework. They are pampered and treated like Kings since high school. and we wonder why they act like Prima donnas??

HemiEd
04-24-2006, 05:22 AM
Its no wonder why these top athletes act they way they do these days. They get cash, free cars, free homes, dont have to do homework. They are pampered and treated like Kings since high school. and we wonder why they act like Prima donnas??

Great point. I wonder if Mecca has any light he can shed on this?

ChiefsfaninPA
04-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Wow, I can not beleive this. I am totally speechless. I never imagined in a million years a college kid would let his family or possibly himself take money from a booster or someone else. Who would've thought that these kids would be so naive to take money that they all seem to desperately need.

Kerberos
04-24-2006, 06:42 AM
This kind of stuff, I believe is actually more common than not in big schools. Alumni having local businesses, players having $75,000 per year summer jobs. stuff like that.

Are these the jobs you hear about where an athlete will get a job to turn the sprinklers on and off and the whole place has automatick sprinklers? :shake:

I wanna sign up for THAT job. PBJ PBJ PBJ

KChiefsQT
04-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Are these the jobs you hear about where an athlete will get a job to turn the sprinklers on and off and the whole place has automatick sprinklers? :shake:

Is that a trailblazer in your avatar?? I want one!!

StcChief
04-24-2006, 08:05 AM
I like the forfeit games idea alot....
make USC and all schools think twice before pulling crap like this.

If he hasn't graduated make him ineligible for next season.

kepp
04-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Just yesterday I was talking with a friend of mine who teaches 8th grade and also coaches. He said that his principal changed the grade of a student he flunked because he was one of their best players. 8th grade! It starts early.

Kerberos
04-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Is that a trailblazer in your avatar?? I want one!!

Yes it is ... 06 Trailblazer LT

If you do any research the 05 and up have the BEST ratings. The 01 thru 04 got HORRIBLE reviews in consumer reports.

I know price is a benchmark sometimes ... but if you can afford it I would look at an 05 or 06. Leftover 06's should be going on clearance in the next few months as the 07's start rolling out.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=138049&highlight=Trailblazer

:)

Mecca
04-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Great point. I wonder if Mecca has any light he can shed on this?

As far as Bush goes it will have 0 effect on him.

Seriously, this is all Bush has to claim: I was trying to buy my parents a nice home based on my future earnings. Or they family can say that they were considering buying the home but decided against it after not being able to secure a loan. There are about 5 or 6 plausible ways to get out of this.

Plus, Yahoo Sports isn't the same as Sports Illustrated or ESPN knocking on your door, demanding to look at your finances. They may be on to something, but it'll be written off as Internet hype.

Frankly, I'm surprised that we haven't heard more about USC football players swimming in money. Outside of this and Matt Leinart supposedly having a Hummer last year, there's hasn't been anything suggested. Which probably means that the people involved are really good at keeping quiet.

The absolute worst thing that happens is USC losses some scholarships for a few years. I don't think it will ever come close to getting to the point where they make them forfeit games. Even if they did the only games that it would cost them would be this past years, so their National Titles aren't in jeopardy.

Garcia Bronco
04-24-2006, 12:34 PM
The only scandel IMO is this kid generating all this revenue and not getting paid a proper perdentage.

Bowser
04-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Bush is live on ESPN's NFL Draft special right now. Trey Wingo wasn't letting him slide much.

Mecca
04-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Trey Wingo serious journalist..........ok I can't keep a straight face and say that. If they really think this is going to effect Bush at all in the draft they're stupid.

Bowser
04-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Trey Wingo serious journalist..........ok I can't keep a straight face and say that. If they really think this is going to effect Bush at all in the draft they're stupid.

Wingo is entertaining. I really expected there to be some mandate telling interviewers to take soft punches at Bush. While Wingo didn't destroy him, he asked all the to-the-point questions.

And all the "experts" said it didn't matter what happened with this house deal, Bush will be the top pick on Saturday. Everyone except Michael Smith, that is.

alanm
04-24-2006, 01:12 PM
As far as Bush goes it will have 0 effect on him.

Seriously, this is all Bush has to claim: I was trying to buy my parents a nice home based on my future earnings. Or they family can say that they were considering buying the home but decided against it after not being able to secure a loan. There are about 5 or 6 plausible ways to get out of this.

Plus, Yahoo Sports isn't the same as Sports Illustrated or ESPN knocking on your door, demanding to look at your finances. They may be on to something, but it'll be written off as Internet hype.

Frankly, I'm surprised that we haven't heard more about USC football players swimming in money. Outside of this and Matt Leinart supposedly having a Hummer last year, there's hasn't been anything suggested. Which probably means that the people involved are really good at keeping quiet.

The absolute worst thing that happens is USC losses some scholarships for a few years. I don't think it will ever come close to getting to the point where they make them forfeit games. Even if they did the only games that it would cost them would be this past years, so their National Titles aren't in jeopardy.

This morning the PAC 10 said they were beginning a investigation. Doubtful that it would hurt Bush. But could have serious ramifications to USC. Like probation, forfeiture of games, Taking away their national championship ect. ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
04-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Bigger than the MU scandal?

Bigger than ("it's no big deal") academic fraud?

KCBOSS1
04-24-2006, 05:45 PM

Yeah, something like that with about 45 paid sick days and 30 paid personal days available.

alanm
04-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Bigger than the MU scandal?

Bigger than ("it's no big deal") academic fraud?
You know when you cheat and your teams still suck, nobody cares.
But a big school like USC whos had sucess the past few years it's a big deal. :)

JBucc
04-24-2006, 06:40 PM
I also think Reggie Bush should be punished. The NFL should not allow him to be drafted higher than the 20 slot.