PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs | B. Sapp re-signed

arrowheadnation
04-24-2006, 11:52 PM
I knew we had "tendered" him earlier. I thought "tendering" a player was the same as signing him. Evidently not. Somebody explain this to me.

Chiefs | B. Sapp re-signed
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:13:42 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs have re-signed exclusive-rights free agent CB Benny Sapp (Chiefs) to his one-year, $425,000 tender offer.

Katipan
04-25-2006, 12:00 AM
I could think of a few players who need some tendering with a mallet.

SLAG
04-25-2006, 12:08 AM
IM glad, If He can Learn that QB's Duck when you Fly at them then He will have alot more Sacks when Gun sends that Nickel BlitZ

chop
04-25-2006, 04:50 AM
I knew we had "tendered" him earlier. I thought "tendering" a player was the same as signing him. Evidently not. Somebody explain this to me.

Benny Sapp must have been a restricted free agent. Here is how it works.

Restricted free agents

These are players who have accumulated three years of service, but less than four. Most of the time, these will be players who signed a shorter deal upon entering the league. Players who sign four-year contracts (or longer) coming out of the draft, for example, never become restricted free agents.

There are three different varieties of restricted free agent tenders. They vary based on compensation and salary. Teams can tender as many restricted free agents as they would like -- there are no restrictions like there are on the aforementioned tags.

General tender: A low tender (around $600,000) is offered by a team to its restricted free agent. If a new team offers a deal to that player, the old team can either match it or accept compensation based on the round the player was originally drafted in. For example, if a player was picked in the third round, the compensation the new team would give the old team would be a third-round pick. In the event a player originally signed on as undrafted free agent, a team would receive no compensation -- only the right of first refusal.

First-round tender: An higher tender (around $1.3 million) is offered by a team to its restricted free agent. If a new team offers a deal to that player, the old team can either match it or accept a first-round pick as compensation, regardless of when the player was originally drafted.

First- and third-round tender: An upgraded tender (around $1.6 million) is offered by a team to its restricted free agent. If a new team offers a deal to that player, the old team can either match it or accept first- and third-round picks as compensation, regardless of when the player was originally drafted.

source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6194643

dj56dt58
04-25-2006, 06:03 AM
IM glad, If He can Learn that QB's Duck when you Fly at them then He will have alot more Sacks when Gun sends that Nickel BlitZ
Screw the rules..he needs to go for their knees. Most quarterbacks are at least twice the size of benny so he has to even the odds somehow. He does seem like he enjoys launching himself towards the qb like a torpedo.

jspchief
04-25-2006, 06:50 AM
He was an RFA.

The team that holds rights tenders an offer, then the player remains on the market to give other teams a chance to beat that offer (and pay a draft choice penalty).

Color Red
04-25-2006, 07:07 AM
"Tendering" means basically to make a formal offer. It doesn't include or mean signing.