PDA

View Full Version : Conservation tips.

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 04:55 PM
We have been debating what to do about the high gas prices, and the one area of consensus that we can all agree on, is that we, the people of the United States, need to consume less gas.

I thought it would be a great idea to have a thread where planeteers could share their brainstorms on how to conserve fuel while they are doing their necessary chores.

I will start off with one, and it is this: If you must go to a fast food or drive in restaurant that has a drive up window, just say no, to waiting in that line, idling your car for 10 or more minutes, pulling up every now and then burning gas.

Park your car, get out, go in, and order the food. Even if you take it back home, you will have saved gas, by reducing the time your car idles.

Think about it. A gazillion fast food places, ALL with about a half a dozen cars waiting in line, ALL THE TIME, all with their motors running. This would save tons of gas, if it could be reduced or eliminated.

What is your gas saving tip?

Donger
04-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Drive more smoothly. No full-throttle acceleration.

Correct air pressure in your tires. Good for fuel economy AND safety. Check your manuals for correct pressures or sometimes that can be found in the door jambs and on the inside of the fuel door.

Turn off your daytime running lights.

Drive at the speed limit on the highways.

Donger
04-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Change your air filter. A clogged filter can reduce your MPG by 10%

Donger
04-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Good thread, BTW, bunny! :thumb:

Baby Lee
04-25-2006, 05:04 PM
$8K tax on, . . . waitaminnit!!!

Saulbadguy
04-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Don't drive so much.

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Assassinate the President.Chiefie, how did you like that pitching duel at your ball yard last night?

Saulbadguy
04-25-2006, 05:17 PM
That is definately something I would not post on a message board, or say out loud, or anything. I seriously recommend you edit your post.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Chiefie, how did you like that pitching duel at your ball yard last night?

Bah. More like a "getting lucky" duel. Neither Blanton or Millwood pitched that well.

The Rangers catcher Rod Barajas was playing like he owed Blanton money.

I hate Nick Swisher.

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 05:19 PM
That is definately something I would not post on a message board, or say out loud, or anything. I seriously recommend you edit your post.chit, I put my foot in my mouth on that one. ROFL

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Bah. More like a "getting lucky" duel. Neither Blanton or Millwood pitched that well.

The Rangers catcher Rod Barajas was playing like he owed Blanton money.

I hate Nick Swisher.How many baserunners did we leave on base? Millwood, like walked a dozed guys. I swear to God we can't get a hit with a runner past first unless it is a HR.

Frank Thomas so far, is a big nothing, not even close to being a Big hurt.

Our first baseman, who is hitting like POINT 045 or something, proved last night in the bottom of the ninth, that he does not belong at this level. Simple one hopper, not like he short hopped it, it was clearly out in front of you one hopper easy scoop, ROUTINE PLAY for a big league first baseman, and he boots it.

It wouldn't be so bad if the dude was just filling in at first to get his bat in the lineup, but his position IS FIRST BASE.

We are having our usual slow start once again. Seriously though, our team is WAY better on paper than they are showing so far.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 05:26 PM
How many baserunners did we leave on base? Millwood, like walked a dozed guys. I swear to God we can't get a hit with a runner past first unless it is a HR.

Frank Thomas so far, is a big nothing, not even close to being a Big hurt.

Our first baseman, who is hitting like POINT 045 or something, proved last night in the bottom of the ninth, that he does not belong at this level. Simple one hopper, not like he short hopped it, it was clearly out in front of you one hopper easy scoop, ROUTINE PLAY for a big league first baseman, and he boots it.

It wouldn't be so bad if the dude was just filling in at first to get his bat in the lineup, but his position IS FIRST BASE.

We are having our usual slow start once again. Seriously though, our team is WAY better on paper than they are showing so far.

After last year I am reserving judgement on the A's until at least game 100.

I think the Rangers are off to a pretty good start. Pitching has been much better. I just wish Buck would bench BUM-Rajas and stop putting Michael Young in the 2-hole.

PastorMikH
04-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Park the car and ride the motorcycle.:)

patteeu
04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Increase gas prices.

patteeu
04-25-2006, 05:33 PM
That is definately something I would not post on a message board, or say out loud, or anything. I seriously recommend you edit your post.

I agree. I read an article about a guy who was arrested for posting a message in which he "threatened the president" on some message board just a week or two ago. Whether it was a legitimate threat or something like what gochiefs just did wasn't clear to me although IIRC the threat was a little more graphic.

PastorMikH
04-25-2006, 05:43 PM

NO KIDDING!!!

Someone quotes him and then turns it into the FBI and he could be in some serious trouble.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 05:47 PM
I like to live dangerously.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 05:48 PM
I meant the President of Halliburton!!!! OH SHI-

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
That is definately something I would not post on a message board, or say out loud, or anything. I seriously recommend you edit your post.chit, I didn't read Gochiefs post. I thought you were replying to this Saul

Chiefie, how did you like that pitching duel at your ball yard last night?

As in, you were making a double entendre gay joke at me, I mean, it is Gochiefs.

Yeah, Chiefie, the commander In Chief has minions that can get you in deep chit for posting something like that, no chit man.

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 06:24 PM
After last year I am reserving judgement on the A's until at least game 100.

I think the Rangers are off to a pretty good start. Pitching has been much better. I just wish Buck would bench BUM-Rajas and stop putting Michael Young in the 2-hole.Texiera looks solid, as does Young and Mench.

Your pitching is much improved for now, but, haven't they played most of their games on the road this year? Your ballpark wears on a pitchers head. It is almost as bad as Coors field.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 06:24 PM
I said President. I did not specify which President. There are hundreds of Presidents in America.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 06:27 PM
1-0 Rangers :)

Zito with 30 pitches in only one inning already.

Adept Havelock
04-25-2006, 06:35 PM
I said President. I did not specify which President. There are hundreds of Presidents in America.

Good luck with that spin. After all, the federal law enforcement agencies seem to have such a sense of humor.

Making a comment like you did doesn't remotely qualify as "living dangerously". It merely qualifies as sheer idiocy.

Oy. :shake:

Oh well, as one of my favorite authors puts it:

"Just think of it as evolution in action".

alanm
04-25-2006, 06:39 PM
When the Secret Service knock on your door they aren't going to care.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 06:40 PM
When the Secret Service knock on your door they aren't going to care.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar49_7.gif

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Hows that Derangers game going?

JBucc
Buy a motorcycle.

Calcountry
that sucks

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Buy a motorcycle.How about a motorized scooter?

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Still 1-0. A's have 2 on and 2 outs for Frank.

Edit: double play. Padilla rules.

Adept Havelock
04-25-2006, 06:49 PM

Adept Havelock
04-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Getting back on topic,

A few simple ideas:
1)Avoid Jackrabbit starts.
2)Carpool
3)Plan trip and errand routes to minimize "backtracking" distance.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Zito and Young just battled their way through an 11-pitch at-bat. Young walked.

Zito up to 48 pitches.

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Texasherra is up with a man on, oh no!

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Zito and Young just battled their way through an 11-pitch at-bat. Young walked.

Zito up to 48 pitches.Zito loves to get 2 strikes on guys, then fiddle with them. He has NO knock out pitch.

If the other team is patient, he usually gets in trouble. Look at opening night vs the Yankees. he threw 90 pitches in 2 innings and gave up 7 runs.

Very overrated IMHO. Non Homer opinion that is.

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Kendall is vastly improved over last year. lol.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Jesus. Kendall has thrown out runners twice tonight. What a crock.

ZepSinger
04-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Break out the bicycle for short trips to the store(get a backpack to carry small items). Summer's about here! And great for your health as well....

Z

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 06:57 PM
That is twice tonight the Rangers have gotten a hit after a man was thrown out trying to steal second base.

Frustrating!

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 07:00 PM
That is twice tonight the Rangers have gotten a hit after a man was thrown out trying to steal second base.

Frustrating!:hmmm: Maybe, just maybe, there is something to this "moneyball" stuff?
:shrug: Now you know why the A's don't do it. You ran yourself out of an inning .

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 07:02 PM
THERE IT IS!!!

Blalock homers after a 10-pitch at bat and the Rangers are up 3-0.

Zito up to 68 pitches.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 07:02 PM
And now Mench homers.

F*CK MONEYBALL!!!!!!!!

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Zito has 73 pitches in 3 innings. ROFL

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 07:15 PM
As bad as that inning was, just think of how many more runs you all could have had, had that guy not been thrown out?

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 07:17 PM
A's blow a chance at 2 runs...4-0 Rangers, bottom of the 4th coming up.

Kendall really sucks, that pitch was right down the middle according to gameday.

Padilla rules! Are you watching the game? He was throwing 97 last time out.

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 07:18 PM
And now Mench homers.

F*CK MONEYBALL!!!!!!!!It is not moneyball, it is ZITO.

Check back up the thread, before the big inning, I think I said that zito loves to dilly dick arround with hitters, then BAM the big one.

This is total Zito. He is overrated, and should be traded immediately, before his value goes down anymore than it already has. He definitely will not be in an A's uniform next year.

He would be a great pitcher in the National league, where they give away one free out per nine at bats.

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 07:19 PM
A's blow a chance at 2 runs...4-0 Rangers, bottom of the 4th coming up.

Kendall really sucks, that pitch was right down the middle according to gameday.

Padilla rules! Are you watching the game? He was throwing 97 last time out.No, I am at work, and I don't know how to do that proxy server stuff so that I can cheat mlb.com out of their blackout priveleges.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 07:19 PM
I think you are too hard on Zito. He's having problems this year, but has had an ERA under 4.00 3 of the last 4 years.

Sad thing is Texas will probably be all over him. Zito + Arlington = disaster.

Your favorite first baseman is in. ROFL

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 07:20 PM
I have to go home to the wife and kids here in a couple of minutes. Enjoy it, but just remember, it is only April.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 07:20 PM
No, I am at work, and I don't know how to do that proxy server stuff so that I can cheat mlb.com out of their blackout priveleges.

Eh, I tried that. Doesn't work. I use my friend's login on MLB.tv and can't watch any of the Ranger games. :cuss:

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 07:21 PM
I think you are too hard on Zito. He's having problems this year, but has had an ERA under 4.00 3 of the last 4 years.

Sad thing is Texas will probably be all over him. Zito + Arlington = disaster.

Your favorite first baseman is in. ROFLJohnson, just plain sucks man. Look at that batting stance the next time he comes up. No wonder the dude can't get a hit.

:shake:

Calcountry
04-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Eh, I tried that. Doesn't work. I use my friend's login on MLB.tv and can't watch any of the Ranger games. :cuss:Have to wardrive to another zipcode or something lmao.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Something is AWFULLY WEIRD. The game is on 667 on my DTV.

It is being locally broadcast in Dallas by KDFI, NOT Fox Sports. Normally I can't get it through any means if it's on KDFI. I can only watch on 643 Fox Sports SW.

Maybe Skip can answer. Why do I have TWO Fox Sports Southwest channels?

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Nice baserunning by the A's there. ROFL

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Double play. Padilla is the man.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Oh my god. Phil Nevin just DESTROYED Barry Zito's fastball. 5-1 Rangers.

Skip Towne
04-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Something is AWFULLY WEIRD. The game is on 667 on my DTV.

It is being locally broadcast in Dallas by KDFI, NOT Fox Sports. Normally I can't get it through any means if it's on KDFI. I can only watch on 643 Fox Sports SW.

Maybe Skip can answer. Why do I have TWO Fox Sports Southwest channels?
I don't know. I hooked up a guy today who did not get 647 while I do. I told him to call 800 directv and bitch. Why you are getting two is a mystery you could call and ask but it might cost you a channel if it is an error in your favor. The guy I hooked up today is on that introductory offer and I would certainly think he would get what I have with my expanded basic package. But when we checked, he wasn't. I run a contract install company and I therefore am not kept up to date on programming policy changes. But I do visit several message boards concerning Satellite TV so I am usually better informed than the man on the street. My expertise is more install and equipment oriented.

Donger
04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
********** the President.

Wow. That was really f*cking stupid. Enjoy your anal probe.

04-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Could always go back to driving 55. But if we do that, I submit we drive 55 on all roads town, city and highway.

Oh, and get rid of the stop signs and lights too. It is the most fuel efficient speed you can drive. Or so they say.

chefsos
04-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Here's one that I do. Don't know if it saves any substantial amount of fuel, but it DEFINITELY saves brake pads:

You're on the highway, approaching a red light a distance away, but you know you'll be stopping before it turns green (and even after it does, because there are eight cars and a truck stopped in front of you). Instead of maintaining full speed all the way to the Event Horizon and then pulverizing the brake, get the hell outta the gas and coast on in. Time it right, and you don't even come to a full stop.

Demonpenz
04-26-2006, 01:02 AM
o nose

chefsos
04-26-2006, 01:05 AM
o nose
ROFL Are you drunk(er)?

Inspector
04-26-2006, 05:55 AM
What is your gas saving tip?

Stay at home and watch baseball?

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-26-2006, 06:31 AM
We have to use a certain amount of gas in todays culture to achieve our daily functions, so what I propose is to start a gas price war with the greedy oil companies. If everyone collectively would get their gas at ANYPLACE EXCEPT FOR EXXON/MOBILE then it would force them to lower their price to be competitive. Think about it. There is no shortage of oil or gas. They have made Billions the last few years and they are the biggest. So hit where it hurts.

MahiMike
04-26-2006, 06:34 AM
Outlaw drive thrus. They're like vending machines anyway. Anything you get from them is unhealthy...

patteeu
04-26-2006, 06:38 AM
If enough people conserve to get the gas prices down (and I really don't think reasonable amounts of conservation would have much impact anyway) it will mean that meaningful changes won't happen. Most importantly, alternative fuels will not be developed. Less exploration for new reserves will occur. Alternative energy sources like wind, solar, and nuclear will not be developed. Domestic drilling will not be expanded to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. And people will not dramatically change their personal consumption profiles (e.g. buy a hybrid instead of a monster truck, move closer to work, etc.). The only way these things will happen is if fuel prices force people into them. IMO.

RedThat
04-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Do you realize how stupid you really are? As a retired federal law enforcement officer I'm almost obligated to report this. Just how stupid can you be? :shake:
Do you even realize how many law enforcement people are on this board?
But having some what of a personality portrait of you I also know that you're totally harmless for the most part.
What a dumb ass. :shake:

Tell me about it
:shake:

RedThat
04-26-2006, 07:06 AM
So, we are all looking to save on gas prices? I gotta few tips I would like to share with everyone on this board.

Since Summer time is approaching, DONT turn on your a/c in your vehicle. Just roll your windows down. Makes a big difference believe me. You consume less gas that way especially if your driving quite a distance.

For those that say, don't drive....that's crap, but I somewhat agree. We all need to drive sometime, especially if we're gonna go quite a distance. however, if your gonna go somewhere that's maybe 5-10 minutes away from you, walk, or bike it....Summer is near, walking is good for those that are unhealthy or outta shape. And you save gas, and mileage on your car! I'm just trying to sound like the optimist here, but really it does makes sense.

ALWAYS, and I sincerely mean this, look for 2 gas stations beside each other. I'm not kidding. Luckily for me, I have that in my area. The reason I say this, is, because you're always gonna find them 2 gas stations competing against each other. Obviously, one is gonna be cheaper than the other. The guy who is cheaper, will draw more attention to customers. Yeah it might save you a couple of $$....you're probably thinking no big deal, at least it's better than that money going into the Oil companies pockets.

*I have another idea, but it is illegal...I don't wish to share the info on this board. Especially after hearing about federal enforcement officers, sorry guys.

KCTitus
04-26-2006, 07:12 AM
Feh...I see a lot of suggestions about driving less, but I havent seen one of the most obvious suggestions, downgrade the rig if you can to a more fuel efficient model.

In our 2 car garage, I have a Hyundai Accent that drives the most miles and the family cruiser, Honda Odyssey that does the hauling of the entire family.

I bought the Accent 6 years ago...and getting 35mpg in the city helps.

Sure, one can walk/run or drive 42 mph on the highway to save gas, but driving a 3ton car with a v8 is pretty stupid if you dont need to.

BucEyedPea
04-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Ahem! Roll out of bed. Walk to kitchen. Have black coffee.
Walk to renovated office-garage...turn on computer!
Drive one day a week for total of one hour. Get groceries.
My lifestyle is practically fuel-less.

But I agree with patteu's posts completely!

Now, I'm gonna throw out all my trash and not recycle any of it.
Afterall, working forests won't keep working (growing) if paper is recycled...got keep the demand up. :)

bkkcoh
04-27-2006, 07:21 AM
I haven't read all of the thread and I am sure that this has already been mentioned. But, proper inflation of the tires, clean air filter.

make sure that your vehicle is running right...

:toast:

Lzen
04-27-2006, 07:57 AM
U know, I used to ride my bike (bicycle) to work all the time in the warmer months. I did it for exercise mainly and it was only about 6.5 miles per day - A 15 to 20 minute ride each way. I wanted to do that again this year, but it didn't work out. I have to wait until my boys get out of school for the year because I have to drive my 13 year old to middle school every morning and I can't drop them off too early. So, by the time I drive them over to school, I would not have enough time to bike to work. My son is eligible for the bus, but those idiots would have him waiting for the bus at 6:15am. :shake: