PDA

View Full Version : On this day in history, April 26th

jidar
04-26-2006, 10:39 AM
On this day in History: April 26th

1986: Reactor #4 at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Pripyat, Ukraine goes out of control and causes the worlds only nuclear meltdown to seriously breach containment. Only one other nucelar meltdown, known as the Windfall incident, ever breached containment, and it wasn't that serious. The Chernobyl meltdown was initially blamed on human error, but today we know that poor reactor design was also partly to blame.

A nuclear meltdown is not an explosion, it is a runaway reaction whereas the core material burns out of control and melts. The majority of danger from a meltdown comes primarily from the intense heat it produces which can destroy the containment facility thus releasing the nuclear material into the surrounding area.

In Chernobyl, this is exactly what happened. When the meltdown began the intense heat caused fires and steam explosions (water was the primary coolant as in most reactors) which damaged the facility and released a plume of radioactive fallout which drifted over Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, but also the European part of Turkey, Moldova, Lithuania, Finland, Denmark ,Norway, Sweden, Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Poland, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, France and the United Kingdom. Large areas of Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia were badly contaminated, resulting in the evacuation and resettlement of over 336,000 people. This cloud was god damned huge people, but thankfully it wasn't too concentrated outside of the Ukraine.
The handling of the disaster is the poster child for mis-management. Due to the Soviets culture of always trying to hide everything and pretend like they were perfect, they didn't make it immediately known to the local response workers the dangers they were dealing with. As a result most of the first responder fire fighters, plant workers and police would die of radiation poisoning in the comming weeks. The local residents were also told that their evacuation was temporary and not that serious which is why most buildings in Pripyt look like someone just got up and left a few minutes ago. I hear it's pretty creepy actually.
Anyway, it would be a full day before the rest of the world even knew something had happened, and it was the Swedes who would point it out when they were trying to discover the source of excess radioactive dust at one of their own nuclear plants.
The Soviets built a containment sarcophogus around the plant, but it was done hastily and poorly, and today the sarcophogus is falling apart and leaks when it rains, due to this groundwater is still regularly contaminated by the nuclear fuel that remains within.

Amazingly, despite being of the same design, the other reactors at the site continued to be used for years, and the last reactor wasn't actually shut down until November 2000.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-26-2006, 12:33 PM
On this day in History: April 26th

1986: Reactor #4 at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Pripyat, Ukraine goes out of control and causes the worlds only nuclear meltdown to seriously breach containment. Only one other nucelar meltdown, known as the Windfall incident, ever breached containment, and it wasn't that serious. The Chernobyl meltdown was initially blamed on human error, but today we know that poor reactor design was also partly to blame.

A nuclear meltdown is not an explosion, it is a runaway reaction whereas the core material burns out of control and melts. The majority of danger from a meltdown comes primarily from the intense heat it produces which can destroy the containment facility thus releasing the nuclear material into the surrounding area.

In Chernobyl, this is exactly what happened. When the meltdown began the intense heat caused fires and steam explosions (water was the primary coolant as in most reactors) which damaged the facility and released a plume of radioactive fallout which drifted over Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, but also the European part of Turkey, Moldova, Lithuania, Finland, Denmark ,Norway, Sweden, Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Poland, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, France and the United Kingdom. Large areas of Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia were badly contaminated, resulting in the evacuation and resettlement of over 336,000 people. This cloud was god damned huge people, but thankfully it wasn't too concentrated outside of the Ukraine.
The handling of the disaster is the poster child for mis-management. Due to the Soviets culture of always trying to hide everything and pretend like they were perfect, they didn't make it immediately known to the local response workers the dangers they were dealing with. As a result most of the first responder fire fighters, plant workers and police would die of radiation poisoning in the comming weeks. The local residents were also told that their evacuation was temporary and not that serious which is why most buildings in Pripyt look like someone just got up and left a few minutes ago. I hear it's pretty creepy actually.
Anyway, it would be a full day before the rest of the world even knew something had happened, and it was the Swedes who would point it out when they were trying to discover the source of excess radioactive dust at one of their own nuclear plants.
The Soviets built a containment sarcophogus around the plant, but it was done hastily and poorly, and today the sarcophogus is falling apart and leaks when it rains, due to this groundwater is still regularly contaminated by the nuclear fuel that remains within.

Amazingly, despite being of the same design, the other reactors at the site continued to be used for years, and the last reactor wasn't actually shut down until November 2000. This was also the day that Mr. Flopnuts turned 9.

A truly sad day in history indeed.

Donger
04-26-2006, 12:35 PM
I was in Germany when that happened. It was interesting.

Lzen
04-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Hmmm, interesting stuff. Hey, didn't somebody post some pics awhile back of this guy(or was it a chic?) that rode a bike through that area? Pretty cool pics if they're still in the archives somewhere.

Donger
04-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Hmmm, interesting stuff. Hey, didn't somebody post some pics awhile back of this guy(or was it a chic?) that rode a bike through that area? Pretty cool pics if they're still in the archives somewhere.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/default.htm

Skyy God
04-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Belarus was hit hard by the radiation cloud as well. Per NPR, construction will get underway this year on a 2nd sarcophagus. They're building it a few hundred yards away and will slide it into place on rails.

I watched an interesting HBO doc on the effects a while back. The cancer and birth defect rates are unbelievable. Really sad stuff.

Rain Man
04-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I didn't realize the magnitude of it. Nasty.

You have to feel bad for those first responders who didn't know what was going on, and for the workers inside the plant who were trying to stop it. That would be a horrifying experience.

Donger
04-26-2006, 01:42 PM
I didn't realize the magnitude of it. Nasty.

You have to feel bad for those first responders who didn't know what was going on, and for the workers inside the plant who were trying to stop it. That would be a horrifying experience.

I remember reading that some reporter (who soon thereafter died) interviewed some of the firefighters who were responders at the scene. One of them said something to the effect of, "Well, the air tastes like metal and my face feels like it has pins and needles."

Lzen
04-26-2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/default.htm

Yeah, that's it. Very interesting stuff. Thanks.

ct
04-26-2006, 02:22 PM
"The roads are blocked for cars, but not for motorcycles. Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want."

For those that love motorcycles, this must be very intruiging...

Dave Lane
04-26-2006, 02:29 PM
This is the COOLEST SITE IN THE WORLD on the subject. If you want to have a bit of a read this deserves a thread of its own. KILLER read.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html

Dave

Dave Lane
04-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Damn beat to it...

Dave

ct
04-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Atomic Plant.
Usually, on this leg of the journey, a beeping geiger counter inspires to shift into high gear and streak through the area with great haste. The patch of trees in front of me is called red - or 'magic" wood. In 1986, this wood glowed red with radiation. They cut them down and buried them under 1 meter of earth.

The readings on the asphalt paving is 500 -3000 microroentgens, depending upon where you stand. That is 50 to 300 times the radiation of a normal environment. If I step 10 meters forward, geiger counter will run off the scale. If I walk a few hundred meters towards the reactor, the radiation is 3 roentgens per hour - which is 300,000 times normal. If I was to keep walking all the way to the reactor, I would glow in the dark tonight. Maybe this is why they call it magic wood. It is sort of magical when one walks in with biker's leather and walks out like a knight in a shining armor.

check out that picture contrast, combined with the text above. kind of a cool effect, eh?

ct
04-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Awesome site Donger (and Dave). Thanks for passing that on...

Rausch
04-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Awesome site Donger (and Dave). Thanks for passing that on...

And it's fake.

You can find out for yourself numerous places but this is the first link I found on google.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:4hH3-rWzxrkJ:www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D1556+Elena%27s+Motorcycle+Ride+snopes&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=safari

Lzen
04-27-2006, 07:23 AM
And it's fake.

You can find out for yourself numerous places but this is the first link I found on google.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:4hH3-rWzxrkJ:[url]www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D1556+Elena%27s+Motorcycle+Ride+snopes&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=safari
From what is said in there, it appears that her solo motorcyle ride was fabricated. Heh, I figured she had to have had someone else with her to take the pics. But it appears that she did actually take the tour through the Chernobyl zone. And those are real pics.

ct
04-27-2006, 08:42 AM
And it's fake.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:4hH3-rWzxrkJ:[url]www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D1556+Elena%27s+Motorcycle+Ride+snopes&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=safari

HA! That's classic. Had me duped!