PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Tower work begins

Donger
04-27-2006, 08:42 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/27/wtc.site/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Trucks are rolling onto the World Trade Center site Thursday morning as workers gather to start long-delayed construction at 9/11's Ground Zero.

The intention is to build the tallest building in North America to fill the hole in the New York skyline left by the 2001 terrorist attacks.

The move follows an agreement on Wednesday between the owner of the 16-acre site and the real estate developer who leased it six weeks before the towers were destroyed.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the transportation agency that built the 110-story twin towers in the early 1970s and ran them until July 2001, approved the deal with developer Larry Silverstein in a board meeting Wednesday afternoon.

The deal settles financing for the "Freedom Tower," the planned 1,776-foot building to be erected on the northern end of the site.

"We agreed to all of the port's economic terms in its proposal to restructure our 99-year lease," Silverstein said. "This is a fair deal."

Silverstein will cede control of the Freedom Tower to the Port Authority. He will collect a 1 percent developer's fee on the estimated $2 billion project, but the Port Authority will manage the building when it is completed. It is slated to be ready for occupancy in 2010.

Freedom Tower construction will move forward with installment of foundation footings. The building is to rise 1,360 feet, the height of the original twin towers. A spire will raise it to the height symbolic for the year of the American Revolution.

A memorial to the 2,973 September 11 victims and six people killed in a 1993 truck bombing will be located on the southern half of the site. It is expected to be completed in 2009, financed through private donations.

Wednesday's deal marks the third time since the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks destroyed 12 million square feet of office space that Silverstein's firm has amended his $120 million-per-year lease. He has never stopped paying rent, though he has collected no revenue on the site since the attacks.

Silverstein will retain control of three buildings planned along the site's eastern edge, Church Street, which will house much of the planned complex's street-level retail space. He will receive a 2 percent developer's fee for those buildings, due to be completed in 2012. One is a 950-foot tower to be designed by renowned British architect Norman Foster.

Silverstein will also cede control to the Port Authority of a plot of land across the street from the site's southern end, where a fifth building would go, according to the plan.

The damaged Deutsche Bank building that currently stands there is being dismantled, possibly to be replaced by a residential tower.

Overall, the five planned buildings would create 10 million square feet -- approximately 6.2 million square feet for the three Church Street buildings, 2.6 million square feet in the Freedom Tower and as much as 1.2 million square feet in the fifth building.

The Port Authority will significantly reduce Silverstein's rent, though by how much was not disclosed.

Silverstein will allocate to the Port Authority 38 percent of the $3.34 billion in tax-exempt Liberty Bonds he is due to receive from the state and the city and a portion of approximately $3 billion in insurance proceeds he is due to collect.

"We have made real concessions," Silverstein said. "This is about moving the rebuilding forward as quickly as possible. All the finger-pointing must stop, and we must all work together to achieve our vital mission -- to fully revitalize and renew New York's historic downtown region."

Silverstein, who lost four employees in the September 11 attacks, said rebuilding is "an intensely personal endeavor for me."

He has already built, a block north of the site, an office tower that replaced World Trade Center 7, which he developed in the 1980s before taking over the whole site. A quarter of the building, 10 of the 42 habitable floors, are now leased. Next month, Silverstein Properties will be the first tenant to move in.

In recent weeks government officials had questioned whether Silverstein's financial position was strong enough to continue as the site developer, leading to the protracted negotiations.

Gov. George Pataki predicted that the rebuilt trade center will "anchor the financial capital of the world and make our nation proud."

If built as planned, Freedom Tower will be taller than the Sears Tower in Chicago, which stands 1,450 feet. Taipei 101 in Taiwan is the world's tallest building, at 1,670 feet.

Kraut
04-27-2006, 08:54 AM
It is about time !! :clap:

RedNFeisty
04-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Wow, it will only take four years to complete!

Eat that you ****ing terrorists!

hawkchief
04-27-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm very curios if they think it will be difficult to lease out the upper floors of the building, after what happend on 9/11. The building will have a huge "X" on it for the terrorist a-holes, and after seeing those planes before, I wouldn't want to be in there personally.

Baby Lee
04-27-2006, 09:18 AM
The intention is to build the tallest building in North America to fill the hole in the New York skyline left by the 2001 terrorist attacks.
The deal settles financing for the "Freedom Tower," the planned 1,776-foot building to be erected on the northern end of the site.
I applaud the spirit of the project, but the intention will only be realized for the period between competion of Freedom Tower and the complete of Fordham Spire.

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/Building/357/Fordham_Spire.php

Delano
04-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Ya know, I would think that developers are probably going to keep in mind that suicide hijackers are a potential threat. I am sure engineers have been looking at solutions to the airplane impact and this building will take those preventitive measures to ensure the safety of all occupants.

Here is a small illustration of what the memorial and building will look like.

Amnorix
04-27-2006, 09:27 AM
I applaud the spirit of the project, but the intention will only be realized for the period between competion of Freedom Tower and the complete of Fordham Spire.

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/Building/357/Fordham_Spire.php

Fordham Spire is a bit shorter. From the website you provided:

"> January, 2006 - In revised documents filed with the City of Chicago, the roof height of this building was raised from 1,458 feet / 444 meters to 1,550 feet / 472 meters the top of the roof, and 1,600 feet / 488 meters to the top of the water tank."

Molitoth
04-27-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm very curios if they think it will be difficult to lease out the upper floors of the building, after what happend on 9/11. The building will have a huge "X" on it for the terrorist a-holes, and after seeing those planes before, I wouldn't want to be in there personally.

There will prolly be some sort of anti-terrorist defense plan like big machine guns mounted on top or something.

Baby Lee
04-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Fordham Spire is a bit shorter. From the website you provided:

"> January, 2006 - In revised documents filed with the City of Chicago, the roof height of this building was raised from 1,458 feet / 444 meters to 1,550 feet / 472 meters the top of the roof, and 1,600 feet / 488 meters to the top of the water tank."
The building is to rise 1,360 feet, the height of the original twin towers.A spire will raise it to the height symbolic for the year of the American Revolution.
Maximum Height: Approximately 2,000 feet / 610 meters (1,550 feet / 472 meters to the roof)
(including spires, antennae, etc...)

Amnorix
04-27-2006, 09:34 AM
The building is to rise 1,360 feet, the height of the original twin towers.

Yep, gotcha now. Of course, from the sound of it, it's not 100% clear the Fordham Spire will be built. Sounds like it's still a bit preliminary. But I've never heard of it 'til now and I spent all of 2 minutes reading the webpage you linked to, so I'll defer to anyone else on this.

Baby Lee
04-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Yep, gotcha now. Of course, from the sound of it, it's not 100% clear the Fordham Spire will be built. Sounds like it's still a bit preliminary. But I've never heard of it 'til now and I spent all of 2 minutes reading the webpage you linked to, so I'll defer to anyone else on this.
I peruse Roeper on occasion, and I thought he'd remarked in the last couple of weeks that final municipal approval had been granted and groundbreaking was in the offing.

EDIT: from Wiki
Mayor Daley recently said he approved of the design saying it was environmentally friendly and has been generally supportive of the effort. On March 16, 2006 the Fordham Spire passed unanimously during that day's meeting of the Chicago Plan Commission and on March 23 the same happened at the city's Zoning Committee meeting. On March 29 The Chicago City Council approved the tower. As part of the approval process, the council passed a measure that raised the height limit on structures at the site to accommodate the 2,000-foot tower. Mayor Daley and Alderman Burton Natarus praised the project, with Natarus saying "This is a very unique opportunity for the city of Chicago. This building belongs to Chicago and should be in Chicago."

From Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000088&sid=awK_O0YF_NVk&refer=culture)

Fordham has said construction will begin around the end of the year, and the building should be completed by 2010.

Donger
04-27-2006, 09:37 AM
I still prefer this design. It's not very subtle, but then neither was flying planes into the old design.

Kraut
04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
I still prefer this design. It's not very subtle, but then neither was flying planes into the old design.

Right on !! :thumb:

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-27-2006, 09:54 AM
If I had to work in that building I would keep 3 parachutes in my closet. One for me and 2 for the highest bidders.

Baby Lee
04-27-2006, 09:58 AM
If I had to work in that building I would keep 3 parachutes in my closet. One for me and 2 for the highest bidders.
I know Chicago is butcher to the world, but I doubt they [or the owners of the Freedom Tower] would allow you to perform your vital services on site. ;)

R&GHomer
04-27-2006, 11:09 AM
:bravo: I'm glad to see they are finally starting construction on freedom towers. I had an opportunity to visit ground zero a couple of years ago and it was a pretty sobering visit.

I can't believe the guy was still paying the 120 million annual lease for the property. Good lawd that guy must have some jack.