PDA

View Full Version : Tamba Hali Q&A

DaKCMan AP
04-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Q&A with DE TAMBA HALI
Apr 29, 2006, 3:35:03 PM

Q: Did you have contact with the Chiefs before the draft?

TAMBA HALI: “I took a visit (to Kansas City) and they showed me around and told me how much they liked me and would love for me to be there.”

Q: Does being selected 20th overall surprise you?

HALI: “I just wanted to go where I was wanted. I didn’t want to be on a team where they didn’t want me. I think being the 20th pick or if Kansas City had the 30th pick and they picked me I still would have been happy. I’m happy with the decision.”

Q: Can you talk about being coached by Chiefs RB Larry Johnson’s father, Larry Johnson, Sr., at Penn State?

HALI: “I know Larry Johnson. I’m at his father’s house right now. I know him very well. He’s a real good guy. When he was here I was so anxious to hit him because he’s such a good back here. To join him on the team now is a privilege.”

Q: What are you going to bring to the Chiefs?

HALI: “I think with the type of player that I am I will bring my relentless spirit onto the field and be able to contribute to our defense out there and just help become a better defense every game from then on. I will just try to play wild and play strong. I will try to be a leader on the field and off the field.”

Q: What was strangest question head coach Herm Edwards asked you during this process?

HALI: “He thought my weight dropped drastically. I told him I could lose weight fast and I have a fast metabolism. He asked if I was fatigued during the workout when he came to watch because two weeks before that I was 275 pounds. Then during my pro day I was only 263 pounds and he wanted to know if I was tired because I lost so much weight. I said to him that I’m just used to that.”

Q: What is your optimal playing weight?

HALI: “About 265 pounds. Between 260 and 265.”

Q: Can you talk about what your new financial security will allow you do with your family who might still be in Liberia?

HALI: “Being in the case of going in the first round and going to have that type of money I just pray and hope that I’ll be led in the right direction to be able to help my family especially my mother and sister who are still back in Liberia. My immediate family that is in the country right now, I just want things to be well off with them as well. I just pray to God that I am led in the right direction with the money issue.”

Q: Is your family aware that they might be able to come to the United States now?

HALI: “They are aware of the possibility. Coach Joe Paterno and his son Scott Paterno have really been helping me with this process. My agent has really been helping with this process. I’ve been in contact with my Mom throughout, sending her little cash I have here and there so she can stay on her toes out there because she’s not a worker, she’s a minister. As far as them knowing, I think she knows sooner or later she might be here we just don’t know when because of the process being so long.”

Q: How did it come about that you are at Coach Johnson’s house today?

HALI: “It’s a tradition where Coach Johnson invites some of his players over to his house if they’re going to be drafted. Four years ago Anthony Adams was in the same process and Anthony Adams sat here. Some guys choose it and some guys choose not to. Coach Johnson has been like a father figure to me since I’ve been here. He’s led me in the right direction. I just thought it would a neat thing to come here since he invited me and share the moment with him since he’s been with me my whole career at Penn State.”

Q: Will your financial security help your efforts to get your mother and sister to America?

HALI: “I believe so in many ways. Just with the money, if the way we’re trying to get her here can’t work, I’ll be able to do more things such as hire a lawyer who knows what he’s doing concerning the information about getting people from other places to this country. That could be one way that money could help because I know that it’s really expensive for my dad and he’s really in debt from that. I think it will help.”

Q: Is your mother in danger in Liberia?

HALI: “I always feel that she’s in danger because she’s in a country that’s about 80 percent unemployed and just coming off a war. You could walk somewhere and you never know what could happen. That’s why I fear for her life. You could go in the country far from a city area and people are still traveling with guns. You never know what could happen and that’s why I fear for her life so much.”

Q: Does your mother do a lot of her ministry work in rural areas?

HALI: “She is actually in Monrovia, so she does a lot of her work in Monrovia.”

Q: Do you think teams try to run at you because of your size?

HALI: “Teams can do whatever they want, they can run the ball or pass the ball. I think they know that being the size that I am I’ve learned how to play with leverage because of starting at the defensive tackle position. I’ve learned how to play the run here at Penn State. As far as teams running against me, I don’t know, I fell like I’m capable of stopping the run.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/04/29/qa_with_de_tamba_hali/

dirk digler
04-29-2006, 04:02 PM
I listened to Carl and Herm's PC and LJ's dad opinion played a pretty big role in their decision.

DaKCMan AP
04-29-2006, 04:04 PM
I listened to Carl and Herm's PC and LJ's dad opinion played a pretty big role in their decision.

Yeah, I just watched it on kcchiefs.com and LJ's dad was his positional coach for all 4 years. Additionally, contrary to some Planet opinions, Herm said that Tamba is a 1st down, 2nd down, 3rd down player. He'll play every down and that on 3rd down he might move inside to tackle to rush the guard some times.

dirk digler
04-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I just watched it on kcchiefs.com and LJ's dad was his positional coach for all 4 years. Additionally, contrary to some Planet opinions, Herm said that Tamba is a 1st down, 2nd down, 3rd down player. He'll play every down and that on 3rd down he might move inside to tackle to rush the guard some times.

Yep heard that too which is great news. I am liking this pick more and more.

banyon
04-29-2006, 04:07 PM
“I know Larry Johnson. I’m at his father’s house right now. I know him very well. He’s a real good guy. When he was here I was so anxious to hit him because he’s such a good back here. To join him on the team now is a privilege.”

translation: me and LJ are going to hang on the Plaza

1punkyQB
04-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Hali does seem like a great kid. He won't be another Sims in the effort dept.

Reaper16
04-29-2006, 05:31 PM
This is a humble dude. High character.

Bwana
04-29-2006, 05:47 PM
I love his attitude. He is going to work hard and set a great example to a lot of people. No way they have any trouble signing him either...........good player for us for years to come.

petegz28
04-29-2006, 05:47 PM
I like his story. He has worked hard and against the odds. I like that. We can teach him "football stuff".

Spicy McHaggis
04-29-2006, 05:51 PM
I like this kid. We still need a guy to push the middle but Allen, Hali, Hall and Wilkerson are nice on the ends.

Ebolapox
04-29-2006, 05:52 PM
maybe they're trying to surround sims with 'effort guys' to maximize his effort...can't hurt I guess

Spicy McHaggis
04-29-2006, 05:55 PM
maybe they're trying to surround sims with 'effort guys' to maximize his effort...can't hurt I guess

If he can't get his ass motivated in his contract year...

Fish
04-29-2006, 05:58 PM
So we're going to hear this feel-good story by the commentators every time this kid gets on the field....

Fat Elvis
04-29-2006, 06:51 PM
So we're going to hear this feel-good story by the commentators every time this kid gets on the field....

It beats hearing about someone's drug problem or criminal record.