PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cower: "Shock(ed)" that Jeff Webb didn't go in the 1st/2nd round?

jAZ
04-30-2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060420/SPORTS04/604200340/1002/sports

Jeff Webb's NFL draft diary

With the NFL Draft nine days away, franchises spend this week bringing in prospects for some last minute one-on-one time. 2001 La Quinta graduate, Jeff Webb flew to Pittsburgh on Monday and visited with the Super Bowl champions. The San Diego State wide receiver took the time to share his experiences from his visit to Pittsburgh with Desert Sun sports reporter Thomas St. Myer.

GUEST OF HONOR: "I had lunch with the general manager (Kevin Colbert) and spoke to him in front of (head coach) Bill Cowher. They treated me with open arms. We were talking about family, friends (and) went over Xs and Os with the receivers coach (Bruce Arians).

"Once I got in the room with Bill Cowher and the GM, it was more about knowing who Jeff Webb was. They told me it would be shocking if I'm there in the second round, so that's kind of boosted my ego and released some stress of me. But nothing is guaranteed in NFL until you're drafted, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt. I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet Bill Cowher, a Super Bowl coach."

SUPER BOWL ATMOSPHERE: "I was a really excited, man, being around the Super Bowl champs. It was overwhelming. Once you walk into the building the spirit comes before you. Everybody's happy, (as if to say) 'we're the Super Bowl champs.' They had that vibe that 'we just got done winning the Super Bowl.' It's a different atmosphere.

"You walk up stairs and the secretary gets up to shake your hand and says hello. Everybody's happy, no negativity around anywhere. Almost all the players there working out were giddy, chuckling."

ALONG FOR THE RIDE: "I flew in Monday night with Lendale White (USC running back) and South Carolina safety Ko Simpson. Lendale was actually doing all that medical stuff with his hamstring, so I didn't get to see him much on Tuesday.

"Players were around there. I met a couple of Samoans who went to BYU (Chris Kemoeatu) and Utah (Shaun Nua) and they kept shouting, "Mountain West, Mountain West." That was cool to see those guys."

banyon
04-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Shocking, NFL staffs will tell incoming players what they want to hear. :spock:

Frankie
04-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Why didn't he take him?

CosmicPal
04-30-2006, 02:16 PM
And to think- instead of trading up to get Santonio Holmes, they could've sat where they were and picked up Webb.

JBucc
04-30-2006, 02:17 PM
They must think Holmes is a HOFer then

blueballs
06-17-2008, 10:15 AM
TOP OF THE MORNIN'
Webb figures Chiefs’ starting spot up for grabs
By JEFFREY FLANAGAN
The Kansas City Star

Some people probably are just assuming that free-agent wide receiver Devard Darling will automatically nab one of the Chiefs’ starting spots.

Don’t count third-year pro Jeff Webb among those thinking that.

“If you go in thinking that you don’t have a chance to start,” Webb said last week after an OTA (organized team activity), “then you probably don’t have a chance.

“You have to believe in yourself, work hard and then take advantage of your opportunity. We only have one guaranteed starter, and that’s (Dwayne) Bowe. After that, it’s all about who performs the best.”

Webb, 26, has shown flashes of legitimate NFL talent, at least enough to get Chiefs fans and Chiefs coaches a bit curious. He was second on the team among wide receivers with 28 catches last season.

“I know I’ve shown some things,” he said, “but to make it in this league you have to show it consistently. You have to show you can do everything without making mistakes.”

Webb has shown he can stretch a defense, and he has shown he can make the acrobatic catch.

“I think the best thing I do is the deep ball,” he said. “I’ve never been what you’d call a possession receiver. That’s what I have to work on.

“And you have to be a complete player. You have to block. If you miss a block, it can mess up a whole play.”

And, of course, you have to catch the ball, in bounds.

Webb still recalls the missed opportunity against the Packers last season when he failed to get both feet in bounds on a long sideline route late in the game. A catch probably would have put the Chiefs in a position to win the game.

“Next time I’ll drag my feet better,” he said. “I know I will.”

And here’s the thing about wide receivers trying to stick in the NFL. There are speedy, talented receivers everywhere in the league who show flashes. But many end up on the waiver wire simply because they can’t capitalize when their opportunity arises, such as the Packers game for Webb.

During OTAs, at least, Webb thinks he made the most of his chances.

“I only dropped three balls, so that’s not bad,” he said. “I’d like it to be zero, to be honest. That’s my goal.”

Chiefs at Hall

The Chiefs’ rookie class of 2008 visited the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Monday as part of the league’s orientation process. The league is hoping to give incoming players some perspective on the league’s history and heritage.

Joining the Chiefs’ rookies on the trip were legends Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier and Len Dawson.

Finally

The best part of Mike Aviles’ emergence as the Royals’ shortstop is that Trey Hillman now is hitting him second. The batting order is much better with Mark Grudzielanek a little bit down in the order.

Micjones
06-17-2008, 11:08 AM
I wish Cowher had drafted his underachieving ass.

BigRock
06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah, if that 6th round pick we used on him turns out to be for naught, we'll be set back for years.

FAX
06-17-2008, 12:44 PM
You know, sometimes I really question our braintrust's ability to develop young players.

FAX

chiefs1111
06-17-2008, 12:57 PM
I wonder what they were smoking,because it must have been good stuff,lol

Micjones
06-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah, if that 6th round pick we used on him turns out to be for naught, we'll be set back for years.

The idea that ANY draftpicks are disposable is the very reason why this franchise is where it is. But brilliant observation nonetheless.
:rolleyes:

Singular mistakes never amount to franchise setbacks.
But a collection of them certainly does.

FAX
06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
The idea that ANY draftpicks are disposable is the very reason why this franchise is where it is. But brilliant observation nonetheless.

Singular mistakes never amount to franchise setbacks.
But a collection of them certainly does.

See, this is what concerns me. I suppose other organizations have the same issues, but I am unaware of them by virtue of the fact I don't follow those teams.

But, to me, it feels like our coaches do a pretty poor job of developing young guys. Dante Hall is an exception in recent years. But, there aren't many.

FAX

BigRock
06-17-2008, 01:52 PM
The idea that ANY draftpicks are disposable is the very reason why this franchise is where it is.
7.0 on the drama queen meter, but I didn't say draft picks are disposable. I merely pointed out the humor of someone sitting around getting worked up about the "underachieving ass" of a sixth rounder who's played in the league for all of 2 years.

But you're right, though. I mean, man, if ONLY some other team had drafted Webb. We'd be so much better off right now.

Micjones
06-17-2008, 02:23 PM
See, this is what concerns me. I suppose other organizations have the same issues, but I am unaware of them by virtue of the fact I don't follow those teams.

But, to me, it feels like our coaches do a pretty poor job of developing young guys. Dante Hall is an exception in recent years. But, there aren't many.

FAX

We've had a real problem developing young Wideouts. I had a conversation with someone who was mourning the loss of Charlie Joiner. The guy told me he had done a great job developing young Wide Receivers. I asked him what Wide Receivers Joiner had developed and well...I'm still waiting on that answer.

Bowe's been the exception to the rule, but only because he has so much God-given talent. Hopefully Price can help him to couple those physical gifts with the intangibles that he'll need to become an elite WR.

Micjones
06-17-2008, 02:27 PM
7.0 on the drama queen meter, but I didn't say draft picks are disposable.

Know the Cover 2 at all?
You backpedal well. If you have any ball skills I'm sure the team could use you as at least a body in camp.

I merely pointed out the humor of someone sitting around getting worked up about the "underachieving ass" of a sixth rounder who's played in the league for all of 2 years.

And by worked up you mean I troubled myself with an 8-word sentence on how Webb's an underachiever. I must be off my meds.

But you're right, though. I mean, man, if ONLY some other team had drafted Webb. We'd be so much better off right now.

*Waving to the strawman*

Where exactly did I say that we'd be better off if Cowher had drafted him?
Don't worry... I'll wait.

Skip Towne
06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Sounds like the Steelers were blowing smoke up his ass.

FAX
06-17-2008, 02:32 PM
We've had a real problem developing young Wideouts. I had a conversation with someone who was mourning the loss of Charlie Joiner. The guy told me he had done a great job developing young Wide Receivers. I asked him what Wide Receivers Joiner had developed and well...I'm still waiting on that answer.

Bowe's been the exception to the rule, but only because he has so much God-given talent. Hopefully Price can help him to couple those physical gifts with the intangibles that he'll need to become an elite WR.

Right, Mr. Micjones. Thanks for following up on the point. It is very bothersome to me.

It just seems as though when we have a rookie who is talented from the get-go, all is well ... as in Shields, DT, Bowe, Donnie Edwards, etc. (not a long list). But, when we have to develop a young guy, we have little or no success (and that's a long list). I just wonder how many other Planeteers have the same sense of it and whether other franchises have the same problem and I'm just focusing on the Chiefs.

FAX

Pasta Little Brioni
06-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Right, Mr. Micjones. Thanks for following up on the point. It is very bothersome to me.

It just seems as though when we have a rookie who is talented from the get-go, all is well ... as in Shields, DT, Bowe, Donnie Edwards, etc. (not a long list). But, when we have to develop a young guy, we have little or no success (and that's a long list). I just wonder how many other Planeteers have the same sense of it and whether other franchises have the same problem and I'm just focusing on the Chiefs.

FAX

Most teams have trouble developing the late round picks. Sure someone will break out now and then, but most are depth players. I guess that's why the guys are late rounders to begin with.

FAX
06-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Most teams have trouble developing the late round picks. Sure someone will break out now and then, but most are depth players. I guess that's why the guys are late rounders to begin with.

Not to belabor the point, but I'm not just speaking of late round picks. I'm talking about any/all of our rookies. Just think about first rounders for a second ... Percy Snow, Harvey Williams, Trezelle Jenkins, Ryan Sims, etc.

FAX

Time's Yours
06-17-2008, 02:45 PM

I didn't want you to have to wait too long.

I think it's pretty rational to infer that the reason you wish Cowher would've drafted Webb is because you think we'd be better off.

Is there another reason you wish Cowher had drafted him? So we'd be worse off?

Micjones
06-17-2008, 02:46 PM

I think the tide is turning. I think Gibbs is going to make a gamer of Brackenridge. That's just a hunch though.

Baby Lee
06-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Unless I completely misunderstand the English language, or your team loyalties.

Micjones
06-17-2008, 02:50 PM

We weren't just talking about the late round guys.

Micjones
06-17-2008, 02:52 PM
I didn't want you to have to wait too long.

I think it's pretty rational to infer that the reason you wish Cowher would've drafted Webb is because you think we'd be better off.

Is there another reason you wish Cowher had drafted him? So we'd be worse off?

Cute, but that won't cut it.

The only inference to be made is that I wish he weren't here.

Micjones
06-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Unless I completely misunderstand the English language, or your team loyalties.

I wouldn't put it past you BL.

Again, the only inference to be made is that I wish he didn't play for this team.

Baby Lee
06-17-2008, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't put it past you BL.

Again, the only inference to be made is that I wish he didn't play for this team.

Because we'd be;

Worse off?
Better off?
The Same?
No Reason at all?

StcChief
06-17-2008, 02:57 PM
I think the tide is turning. I think Gibbs is going to make a gamer of Brackenridge. That's just a hunch though.I think so too. Breckenridge showed flashes (SD road game).... hope he develops over 2008/2009.

Time's Yours
06-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Cute, but that won't cut it.

The only inference to be made is that I wish he weren't here.

So let me get this straight:

You wish Cowher would have drafted Webb.
You wish Webb wasn't here.
However, you don't think we'd be better off if Cowher had drafted Webb.

Wow.

BigRock
06-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Know the Cover 2 at all? You backpedal well.

IRONY~!

Time's Yours
06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Because we'd be;

Worse off?
Better off?
The Same?
No Reason at all?

Lol, I'd give up. There's no way he can reconcile the statements, yet it seems he'll never stop trying.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Not to belabor the point, but I'm not just speaking of late round picks. I'm talking about any/all of our rookies. Just think about first rounders for a second ... Percy Snow, Harvey Williams, Trezelle Jenkins, Ryan Sims, etc.

FAX

Oh ok got ya...On that point i'd have to agree that we missed on a good share of early round picks for quite some time. More than the norm. Been better lately though.

Micjones
06-17-2008, 03:05 PM
I never said the team would be better off. That's what you clowns keep trying to force me to say. I won't. That wasn't the point to begin with.

The only benefit to Webb being gone is the overall standing of the team?
Wow...

Micjones
06-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Lol, I'd give up. There's no way he can reconcile the statements, yet it seems he'll never stop trying.

I've already given my reason.
I wish Cowher had drafted him. Because then he wouldn't be here.

What you're trying to get me to do now is to explain why I don't want him here. Which I explained already. He's an underachiever.

The spinjob has convinced you that I don't want him here because we'd be better off.

In truth... Without Webb we'd probably be worse off.
We'd have one less Receiver who has played NFL snaps.

But we wouldn't have an underachieving Wide Receiver here like we've had for years.
Parker's gone... And we're worse off (on paper).
I'm sure you'd rather have him back though...

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 03:09 PM
See, this is what concerns me. I suppose other organizations have the same issues, but I am unaware of them by virtue of the fact I don't follow those teams.FAX

And therein lies the rub.

If you don't actively follow the struggles of any other NFL franchise, how can you possibly expect to be objective when evaluating the Chiefs?

Myopic fans are over-abundant in the NFL.

FAX
06-17-2008, 03:10 PM
I agree with Mr. Micjones.

Without Webb, we'd have an extra roster spot available for a real contributor. Plus, we don't need any more damn receivers since we have SIPPIO!!!!

FAX

Micjones
06-17-2008, 03:11 PM

If you don't actively follow the struggles of any other NFL franchise, how can you possibly expect to be objective when evaluating the Chiefs?

You don't have to keep up with other franchises to know the process of building winning teams. I'm not a Vikings fan at all, but I realize that developing young talent is key to having long-term success in the league.

Micjones
06-17-2008, 03:13 PM

Without Webb, we'd have an extra roster spot available for a real contributor. Plus, we don't need any more damn receivers since we have SIPPIO!!!!

We've only been carrying 5 as of late if memory serves.
So I think we could carry 6 and keep him. I just don't see the point.

Webb's had a chance to contribute on a team with nothing at all in the cupboard at Wide Receiver.
And he hasn't.

This might have been the best city in the league to have become a starter at Wide Receiver last year and he couldn't answer the bell... That's part of the reason I don't believe in Croyle.

Parker outplayed Webb last year and he's been a perennial disappointment.

FAX
06-17-2008, 03:15 PM

For what it's worth, I'd rather be myopic than an arrogant fool with an attitude spawned in vaginal discharge.

My question has nothing to do with the amount of time I personally spend studying other franchises' player development methods and success rates. I was inquiring as to what the truth is. Are you saying we are no different than other franchises? Or, are you merely looking for someone to irritate?

FAX

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 03:21 PM
For what it's worth, I'd rather be myopic than an arrogant fool with an attitude spawned in vaginal discharge.

My question has nothing to do with the amount of time I personally spend studying other franchises' player development methods and success rates. I was inquiring as to what the truth is. Are you saying we are no different than other franchises? Or, are you merely looking for someone to irritate?

FAX

Whoa, settle down there, cowboy.

My point is that with 32 NFL franchises, it's difficult and not uncommon for fans of singular teams to be intimately familiar with another franchise's struggles, whether it through the draft, free-agency or player development.

Unless you have close friends that are fans of another franchise and you regularly converse about the success and struggles of said team, I doubt most people would even be aware of those issues.

Baby Lee
06-17-2008, 03:24 PM

FAX

You obviously haven't read the rule book. Thanks to all the people we've let go, Herm's tasked with trimming us down to our 28 man roster by the start of pre-season.

FAX
06-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Whoa, settle down there, cowboy.

My point is that with 32 NFL franchises, it's difficult and not uncommon for fans of singular teams to be intimately familiar with another franchise's struggles, whether it through the draft, free-agency or player development.

Unless you have close friends that are fans of another franchise and you regularly converse about the success and struggles of said team, I doubt most people would even be aware of those issues.

Ah. I thought you were calling me myopic, Mr. DaneMcCloud. My apologies. I hate it when people call me myopic.

Now that we have that straight, that's the problem I'm having. I don't know if we struggle with player development or not as compared to other organizations for the reasons you cite. I'm sure Gretz would say we're in the middle of the pack, but who knows?

I merely have a feeling that we've busted on a lot of players who had raw talent that was never properly framed or cultivated.

FAX

Time's Yours
06-17-2008, 03:29 PM
The spinjob has convinced you that I don't want him here because we'd be better off.

In truth... Without Webb we'd probably be worse off.
We'd have one less Receiver who has played NFL snaps.

So we'd be worse off without him, but you wish he wasn't here. Got it.

Micjones
06-17-2008, 03:32 PM
So we'd be worse off without him, but you wish he wasn't here. Got it.

We're rebuilding Albert.
That involves removing the underachievers and suffering short-term to find more viable options with less proven players who haven't had the opportunity to under achieve yet.

Boy I tell ya... Sharp knives.

ChiefGator
06-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Ah. I thought you were calling me myopic, Mr. DaneMcCloud. My apologies. I hate it when people call me myopic.

Now that we have that straight, that's the problem I'm having. I don't know if we struggle with player development or not as compared to other organizations for the reasons you cite. I'm sure Gretz would say we're in the middle of the pack, but who knows?

I merely have a feeling that we've busted on a lot of players who had raw talent that was never properly framed or cultivated.

FAX

How to measure player development... Hmm... The thread below has statistics on our drafted player, which I think shows PART of the story. I didn't look at how many undrafted free agents became a success with each team of course.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=171991

Boris The Great
06-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Parker outplayed Webb last year and hes been a perennial disappointment.

Webb: 28 receptions, 313 yards, 1 TD.
Parker: 24 receptions, 298 yards, 2 TDs.

And keep in mind that Webb was the #3 WR with Kennsion out, the #4 WR when Kennsion was in, and only started the final two games of the season. Parker was a starter for half the season and Webb still had better numbers than he did.

Micjones
06-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Webb: 28 receptions, 313 yards, 1 TD.
Parker: 24 receptions, 298 yards, 2 TDs.

I stand corrected. I could've sworn that Parker's numbers were better.
I guess he had 1 more TD and a better yard per carry average, but overall their numbers were very similar.

Still... Webb should've asserted himself as that #2.
Especially once Kennison went down. He only had Parker to beat out.

FAX
06-17-2008, 05:26 PM
I stand corrected. I could've sworn that Parker's numbers were better.
I guess he had 1 more TD and a better yard per carry average, but overall their numbers were very similar.

Still... Webb should've asserted himself as that #2.
Especially once Kennison went down. He only had Parker to beat out.

An honest mistake and understandable, Mr. Micjones. After all, everytime Samie caught a pass, he made you think it was for a score even if he fielded it behind the line of scrimmage.

FAX

chiefs1111
06-17-2008, 07:53 PM

FAX

Hey now,don't go dragging the almighty Sippio into this! lol,just kidding

keg in kc
06-17-2008, 08:45 PM
He's a 3rd-year player taken in the low rounds. This is, historically-speaking, about the time he should break out, if he ever will.

I like that, although none of them are established, per se, it looks like there's a potential for real competition at #2, with Darling, Franklin and Webb.

That's a new one here, several receivers vying for one spot...

Pasta Little Brioni
06-17-2008, 08:50 PM
ALOT of recievers do not break out until year 3, so we'll see if he's one of those or one that doesn't break out at all. Make or break year for him for sure.