PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: This team needs some LAW!

tk13
05-01-2006, 01:10 AM
WOOOOOO!!!

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14469481.htm

This team really needs the Law on its side
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

Herm Edwards and Ty Law have stayed in regular contact. Carl Peterson told me Sunday afternoon that he expects to hear from Law’s agent, Carl Poston, as early as today. The Chiefs didn’t add to their list of “suspects” to replace Eric Warfield until the fifth round of the latest NFL draft.

Have I mentioned yet that there’s still $9 million worth of breathing room in Kansas City’s salary cap?

And let’s don’t forget these interesting tidbits:

1. Law, even at 32, is still the most complete corner — run and pass — in football and could easily transition into a Pro Bowl safety.

2. Given the advanced age of KC’s offensive stars —Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Trent Green and Eddie Kennison —it’s vitally important that the Chiefs make a Super Bowl push now.

3. Who would you rather have lining up opposite Patrick Surtain: Ty “Three Rings” Law or Marcus Maxey, Julian Battle, Benny Sapp, Alphonso Hodge, Lenny Walls and Chris Johnson?

I’ll take Ty Law.

The Chiefs should, too. They’ve done nothing this offseason to excite their fan base or improve the team from a year ago. That’s not a knock on first-round pick Tamba Hali. But he’s a rookie selected toward the end of the first round. You can’t expect Hali to do what linebacker Shawne Merriman did for San Diego’s D last season. The Chargers never expected that.

The Chiefs should be motivated to make a move on Law because Peterson and Edwards both understand you can’t stand still in sports. If you’re not getting better, you’re getting worse.

Peterson proudly pointed out that the Chiefs return all but two starters — Warfield and fullback Tony Richardson — from a team that finished 10-6. Problem is last year’s team might go 8-8 in 2006 if some of the team’s shortcomings are not addressed.

Kansas City went into the offseason needing to find a pass rusher, a defensive tackle, a corner, a receiver and a backup running back.

Well, here we are in May, and the Chiefs drafted a defensive end who might play inside in passing situations, are praying that one of their young veteran washouts turns into a playmaker at defensive tackle, corner and receiver, and they’re still playing a one-sided game of phone tag with Priest Holmes.

To be fair, the Chiefs did upgrade their depth at safety in the draft, talked Shields out of retirement and re-signed Brian Waters. Unfortunately, that’s just not enough. The receiver they liked in the second round (Western Michigan’s Greg Jennings) went two spots ahead of their pick.

Kansas City needs to be active in the second wave of free-agency.

If Larry Johnson or Kennison get hurt, the Chiefs are sunk.

There’s too much pressure being put on Edwards and his two coordinators — Gunther Cunningham and Mike Solari. They need some new tools. You can’t expect Edwards to “coach up” this team into the playoffs.

And even if he does, the goal shouldn’t be to make the playoffs. The goal should be to win the whole thing or at least win a playoff game.

The addition of Law would make the Chiefs a threat. The addition of Law and a competent, veteran receiver and a backup running back (preferably Holmes) would make anything a possibility.

The Chiefs have the salary-cap room to make some moves. Law’s asking price should be more reasonable now after the draft. This deal makes perfect sense.

beer bacon
05-01-2006, 01:11 AM
I am glad I always have the Whitlock Connection to get my Law fix if the Chiefsplanet goes down!

beer bacon
05-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Also, Whitlock needs to get informed. We don't need another backup running back. We have the next Barry Sanders on our team.

greg63
05-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Oh, a Ty Law thread; how original. :rolleyes:

Nightwish
05-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Also, Whitlock needs to get informed. We don't need another backup running back. We have the next Barry Sanders on our team.Yeah, but if he doesn't do something about his stand-up running style, he's going to be sorely tempting fate, and if he goes down, and we don't have a good quality backup, we're gonna be hurting.

greg63
05-01-2006, 03:16 AM
Yeah, but if he doesn't do something about his stand-up running style, he's going to be sorely tempting fate, and if he goes down, and we don't have a good quality backup, we're gonna be hurting.

You do raise a point regarding his running style; although it seemed to be pretty punishing for opposing teams defensive backfield.

POND_OF_RED
05-01-2006, 03:20 AM
Also, Whitlock needs to get informed. We don't need another backup running back. We have the next Barry Sanders on our team.
He may get Barry like numbers but talent wise I don't agree...Barry made it happen with no O-line push...the chiefs have a little better of a line.

05-01-2006, 03:44 AM
He may get Barry like numbers but talent wise I don't agree...Barry made it happen with no O-line push...the chiefs have a little better of a line.

Always wondered what Barry could have done behind a line like ours.

J Diddy
05-01-2006, 03:48 AM
You do raise a point regarding his running style; although it seemed to be pretty punishing for opposing teams defensive backfield.

You know it seemed like okoye was like that until atwater laid the wood on him. Then he just faded away.

beer bacon
05-01-2006, 03:49 AM
Yeah, but if he doesn't do something about his stand-up running style, he's going to be sorely tempting fate, and if he goes down, and we don't have a good quality backup, we're gonna be hurting.

Wait...Quentin Griffin is our starter now? If he is the starter then we have LJ to back him up, and LJ would make nice change-of-pace back to spell Q-tip.

greg63
05-01-2006, 05:31 AM
You know it seemed like okoye was like that until atwater laid the wood on him. Then he just faded away.

...Good point. However, was Okoye beginning to decline at that time anyway? My memory is a bit hazy.

ROYC75
05-01-2006, 06:52 AM
Jason with a Ty Law article ? Really, who knew ?

I mean, it's not like 20 or 30 of us mentioned this yesterday.

hawkchief
05-01-2006, 07:02 AM
When is the next Jeff George article coming, any way? Get some new material. Whitlock.

jspchief
05-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Yeah, but if he doesn't do something about his stand-up running style, he's going to be sorely tempting fate, and if he goes down, and we don't have a good quality backup, we're gonna be hurting.Are you talking about Larry Johnson? What exactly is he supposed to do about his running style? You don't just start running differently. Especially when your current style has you looking like the most promising RB in the NFL.

Let him do his thing. IMO, if he breaks down it's because we have him on pace to shatter attempts in a season records.

RedThat
05-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Good article.

Whitlock is saying some of the things that are similar and in reference to what I said in my "Ty Law" thread yesterday.

I agree, a move like this would make a lot of sense for this organization. Would you guys wanna see a bunch of unknown commodities battling it out for the #2 CB spot? Or would you rather see 2 Probowl corners lineup beside each other?

I think I'll take the probowl CBs. Thank you.

I think his stock has dropped a bit. Nobody signed him, and it's after the draft. Now, is a good time to go after Ty Law. Hopefully, he still doesn't want his BIG $$$, and compromise a little bit. The smart thing to do is sign him. We drafted a pretty good CB with a lot of upside in Maxey(5th rounder), don't expect him to come in and start right away. Lenny Walls is also another ?? His game still needs work. And Julian Battle? Bah...too raw. At least if you have Law you get veteran leadership and a good quality starter for now. Then those other guys like Maxey and Walls can play nickel and dime packages, and you slowly work them in, let them develop their game by playing them not rushing them in.

RedThat
05-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Oh yeah, how can I forget? with Javon Walker going to Denver, I think I want Ty Law now. Patrick Surtain and Ty Law covering Rod Smith and Javon Walker? Im fine with that.

Stinger
05-01-2006, 08:43 AM
The Chiefs should be motivated to make a move on Law because Peterson and Edwards both understand you can’t stand still in sports.

Edwards I don't know enough about, but Peterson makes me wonder about the validity of that statment.

leviw
05-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Oh yeah, how can I forget? with Javon Walker going to Denver, I think I want Ty Law now. Patrick Surtain and Ty Law covering Rod Smith and Javon Walker? Im fine with that.
Not on the Dewayne Washington wagon this season?

KCTitus
05-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Although I appreciate Jason's useage of The Lexicon...he's completely missed the boat on this article.

KC is neglecting the key ingredient to their potent offense...a franchise FB.

By ignoring the position in the draft, this team is toast.

Nightwish
05-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Are you talking about Larry Johnson? What exactly is he supposed to do about his running style? You don't just start running differently. Especially when your current style has you looking like the most promising RB in the NFL.

Let him do his thing. IMO, if he breaks down it's because we have him on pace to shatter attempts in a season records.
I agree, he can't just up and change his running style, especially when it's working for him, and I really don't expect him to. I'm just pointing out that his particular style makes him a bigger and more promising target for defenders. He's not slippery and overly agile like Priest and Barry. As one writer put it recently (I forget if it was an article or a post), his success so far has come from him simply being the strongest mofo on the field, just powering his way over and through defenders, and his battle-testing has so far spanned just over half a season. I'm just saying that his particular style is tempting fate, and eventually he's going to come across somebody who he can't run over or run through, and that someone is gonna punish him. That's why it is good to have a quality backup, just in case. Of course, with Quentin Griffin added to the roster, and if Priest does come back in good health again, we'll have that prospect wrapped up.

RedThat
05-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Not on the Dewayne Washington wagon this season?

Nope. After the Broncos got Javon Walker, I kinda changed my mind.

Cormac
05-01-2006, 12:23 PM
This team really needs the Law on its side
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

You can’t expect Edwards to “coach up” this team into the playoffs.

Another pile of drivel from Whitlock....especially this bit.

Herm had better be able to coach up this team into the playoffs. It's not like we're the Texans. We missed the playoffs last year by the slimmest of margins, and would have been comfortable if Roaf had remained healthy. If hiring Herm isn't enough (in and of itself) to put this team over the top, then he was a bad hire. I bet anything that Herm has enough confidence in himself to think he can do it. JMO.