PDA

View Full Version : New Scouting Department

stevieray
05-01-2006, 11:40 AM
what's your opinion?

did we draft better this year?

Bootlegged
05-01-2006, 11:41 AM
I think we drafted like always. Boring with lots of safties. Draft day sucks as a Chiefs fan.

jspchief
05-01-2006, 11:42 AM
No projects on the first day. That alone is a big improvement IMO.

htismaqe
05-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Huge improvement.

This draft was NOTHING like past drafts.

Like jsp said, no projects on the 1st day.

sedated
05-01-2006, 12:09 PM
No, we perpetuated the Cigar Club, taking picks based on "friends of the program"

Chris Meck
05-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I like that we didn't draft on 'upside' in rounds 1 and 2. We drafted football players, that had shown production. We got a legit QBOTF, addressed the O-line...I don't know how they'll pan out, but I like the plan.

Chris

Chiefnj
05-01-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't see a difference.

They went with the first round pick they wanted just like they did with Sims, Johnson and DJ. They also reached a bit in the 2nd round which is what they historically do.

htismaqe
05-01-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't see a difference.

They went with the first round pick they wanted just like they did with Sims, Johnson and DJ. They also reached a bit in the 2nd round which is what they historically do.

The M.O. may have been the same.

The profiles of the players they picked weren't at all the same.

stevieray
05-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Hopefully Krumrie wiil light a fire under S/S.

htismaqe
05-01-2006, 12:16 PM
No, we perpetuated the Cigar Club, taking picks based on "friends of the program"

ROFL

Seriously, if it's so frustrating, why do you even follow the team?

sedated
05-01-2006, 12:18 PM
ROFL

Seriously, if it's so frustrating, why do you even follow the team?

I'm a fan of the Chiefs, Jayhawks, and Royals.

I eat frustration for breakfast, poor it on my cereal.

Archie Bunker
05-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Great job. Hali was the best true 4-3 end left in the 1st and they got him. Pollard looks like a more athletic Sammy Knight. IMO both will play a lot. After those 2 they found great value in Croyle, Maxey, and Webb. Best Chiefs draft I can remember.

htismaqe
05-01-2006, 12:21 PM

I just can't imagine it. Does basketball season keep you going all year? :D

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2006, 12:23 PM
You can't really tell, because the draft picks haven't played a down in the NFL

Cormac
05-01-2006, 12:32 PM
I think the Chiefs have drafted pretty well the last few years. Last year was sensational, IMO. This year was very solid. But previous to that, I liked the trade down to get LJ, and the trade up to get Sims. Sims didn't pan out, but at least they had a plan and executed. I have to give them credit for that, instead of sitting on their hands.

OTOH, the Siavii year sucked.

morphius
05-01-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm relatively pleased with it. We have any number of wholes to fill on the D, and we did that without have to reach too far. I know our second was said to be anywhere from a late 2nd to a 4th rounder, but a sure tackler in our backfield is as huge a move as anything else.

Chiefnj
05-01-2006, 12:57 PM
The M.O. may have been the same.

The profiles of the players they picked weren't at all the same.

What's the difference in profile between Hali and say a Sims or Johnson? Pollard and Mitchell or Fox or Battle?

ChiefsCountry
05-01-2006, 01:22 PM
This was a good draft. We did the smart route by going production over potential. The great teams draft that way.

Lurch
05-01-2006, 02:01 PM
I thought they did better this year. Maybe I'm in a minority though.

htismaqe
05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
What's the difference in profile between Hali and say a Sims or Johnson? Pollard and Mitchell or Fox or Battle?

Hali --> hard working character guy, best player on his line bar none
Sims --> had some character concerns coming out, played next to Peppers

Pollard --> productive, big school player with poor workouts
Mitchell --> semi-productive small-school player with exceptional workouts

Lurch
05-01-2006, 02:02 PM

You too, huh. Yeah, it sucks too.

teedubya
05-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I say, Chiefs-Jayhawks-Royals frustration is miles better than Chiefs-Tigers/Mildcats-Royals frustrations... heh.

CoMoChief
05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
First day picks:

1. '05 Derrick Johnson > '06 Tamba Hali
2. '05 Patrick Surtain > '06 Benard Pollard
3. '05 Dustin Colquitt < '06 Brodie Croyle

Thats the way I see it.

Fat Elvis
05-01-2006, 05:07 PM
First day picks:

1. '05 Derrick Johnson > '06 Tamba Hali
2. '05 Patrick Surtain > '06 Benard Pollard
3. '05 Dustin Colquitt < '06 Brodie Croyle

Thats the way I see it.

The sad part is that they almost blew the DJ pick; if I remember correctly, they were looking to trade down possibly. If DJ had been drafted where he was worth, it would be a whole different story.

keg in kc
05-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Better than what? Under Vermeil? Dunno. Draft rankings are worthless. Draft websites are worthless. Draft discussion is worthless. All that really matters is what they do starting in September.

For instance, the talk about the Sims pick like it was the worst thing ever, but the day of the draft most people were fine with it. Last year we were ecstatic about DJ, but he hasn't actually done anything on the field yet. It takes time, and we'll see how we feel about this one 3-4 years from now.

Because by then the majority of us won't care where Hali or Pollard or anybody else was picked if they're good, much less pro bowl calibre.

tk13
05-01-2006, 05:18 PM
The sad part is that they almost blew the DJ pick; if I remember correctly, they were looking to trade down possibly. If DJ had been drafted where he was worth, it would be a whole different story.
No... that got blown up way out of proportion, like these things always do. Carl said specifically that sure, people called, and he listened to their offer, and his information was telling him these people were trading up to get DJ, not someone else, so he didn't bite on the deal.

stevieray
05-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Better than what? Under Vermeil? Dunno. Draft rankings are worthless. Draft websites are worthless. Draft discussion is worthless. All that really matters is what they do starting in September.

For instance, the talk about the Sims pick like it was the worst thing ever, but the day of the draft most people were fine with it. Last year we were ecstatic about DJ, but he hasn't actually done anything on the field yet. It takes time, and we'll see how we feel about this one 3-4 years from now.

Because by then the majority of us won't care where Hali or Pollard or anybody else was picked if they're good, much less pro bowl calibre.

bitter beer face. draft discussions are worthless? must be that four hundred pound gorilla again...

We have new personnel in the scouting department, and the picks didn't seem as all over the place, or reaches. The picks seem more even keeled.

Under Vermiel, you could almost count on rookies riding the pine, I don't think that's the case with Herm.

I think we did draft better, and I think that the competiiton at camp will be better, and we won't have to wait three years to see if these picks (Hali and Pollard) pan out.

I think DJ had his moments, and will shine even more this year.

Logical
05-01-2006, 09:06 PM
No projects on the first day. That alone is a big improvement IMO.So you think a safety that is known to be bad in coverage is not a project?

morphius
05-01-2006, 09:12 PM
So you think a safety that is known to be bad in coverage is not a project?
No, he is a sure tackler and a safety. He is not switching positions and hasn't only been at the position for one year. I think any Safety coming into the NFL is going to have to work on coverage skills to some point, and I would trust Herm more then anyone else to see the potential there.

shaneo69
05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I would've liked this draft had we taken a DT like Kyle Williams or Orien Harris in the 3rd round, assuming we sign Ty Law.

Instead, our 3rd round pick won't play for us for at least 2 years, if ever; we didn't have a 4th rounder, and our four picks on Day 2 will most likely be on the practice squad in 2006.

CHIEF4EVER
05-01-2006, 09:22 PM
I would've liked this draft had we taken a DT like Kyle Williams or Orien Harris in the 3rd round, assuming we sign Ty Law.

Instead, our 3rd round pick won't play for us for at least 2 years, if ever; we didn't have a 4th rounder, and our four picks on Day 2 will most likely be on the practice squad in 2006.
1) At some point we had to draft a QUALITY QB unless you want to sign the next Bono or Girlbac. Getting Croyle in the 3rd was a steal IMO.

2) Our drafted corner (Maxey) will likely be fighting for a starting FS spot IMO.

Mr. Kotter
05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
I say, Chiefs-Jayhawks-Royals frustration is miles better than Chiefs-Tigers/Mildcats-Royals frustrations... heh.

GOOD Point....."air high five" going your way......;)