PDA

View Full Version : QBOTF: Brodie Croyle, info and testimonial

Mr. Kotter
05-01-2006, 04:39 PM
I lifted this testimonial and biography of Croyle from another site from a poster named bamachum1123.....SSSSssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

A Crimson Tide homer, but some good info nonetheless....

http://mb14.scout.com/fchiefsinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=11225.topic

As a die-hard Alabama fans...I am THRILLED Brodie landed with KC. I've told my friends all along that where I wanted him to go (sit behind Trent Green for a couple years, play for Herm Edwards, play for a team with Tradition, etc.)

I was scared he would go to Baltimore, Minnesota, or somewhere else, b/c that's where his name was mentioned. I knew KC wouldn't take him in the 2nd round b/c of needs defensively...but when I saw him taken I was thrilled. Brodie couldn't be in a better situation.

As for what KC's getting...I could talk for hours. Obviously, he's not ready to play as a rookie even 2nd year (but few, few are). He should gain about 10 pounds of muscle which would put him at a solid 215 lbs. and better suited to take hits...something he was withstood plenty of during his career.

Some background...he was the #1 rated QB in the nation coming out of H.S., despite tearing his ACL in the 1st quarter of the 1st game of his senior season. Having started since the 8th grade, he was on pace to break virtually every national high school passing record. A legacy of UA, having his father, John, played DE at UA for Coach Bryant, his sister, Reagan basketball player and homecoming queen, and brother-in-law, John David Phillips, also a QB who wore #12...there was little surprise when he chose Alabama over FSU and Oklahoma, despite Franchione being there running an offense totally unfit for him.

With Alabama having 2 upperclassmen QBs already, and him being about 175 lbs coming off knee surgery, Brodie redshirted as a true freshman in 2001. In 2002, as a redshirt freshman, Brodie was back-up QB primarly and started two or three games do to injury of Tyler Watts in which he was successful, even in a loss to UGA. He played a huge role in a win over Tennessee at Neyland, and also threw for nearly 300 yards in a huge in at Arkansas, as Alabama went on to a 10-win season, in which he executed an offensive where he was often asked to reverse out and run an OPTION...ridiculous in hindsight. He went through the season uninjured, depsite probably only weighing about 190 lbs in the SEC.

Following an off-season full of turmoil after Franchione ran out on the team, Mike Price was hired then fired in May… Alabama welcomed the addition of a new coach in Mike Shula, who brought with him a pro-style offense, perfectly suited to the strengths of Croyle. Alabama suffered a DISMAL season at 4-9, in which Brodie endured playing with a severely injured left (non-throwing) shoulder. He managed to have some great games despite the fact UA was terrible, playing a brutal schedule, and running an offensive which had been put into place in a matter of weeks (fall practice). While some question Brodie being injury-proned…I CALL HIM TOUGH…proving he has the toughness, grit, and ability to play through a tremendous amount of pain.

In 2004, he was off to an incredible start, throwing 6 tds and no ints through 3 games, with a completion percentage near 70% before tearing his ACL (other one from HS.) and missing the rest of the season, in which Alabama struggled greatly, offensively, without him.

In 2005, Brodie had a good season. He managed to suffer no injuries, and before the final two regular season games, he looked great.

One should note that when evaluating him his really has not glaring weaknesses other than, as everyone knows, history of injuries. He had a terrible offensive line as a senior and inexperienced, inconsistent, though talented WRs. He protects the ball well only threw 4 ints, I think…and makes smart decisions by not throwing into double teams and throwing it out of bounds when nothing is there. His arm strength is amazing. He won the long distance pass in the skills completion over the “all-world” Vince Young, who is very over-hyped. As a senior in H.S. he won virtually every competition the Elite 11 camp in California, beating even Drew Brees a senior at Purdue. His accuracy is amazing. He threw a perfect pass in the game-winning drive to beat Tennessee on 3rd and 9 that makes the pass Leinart threw verses Notre Dame elementary. His only significant weaknesses that I’ve noticed over years of studying him is that he isn’t as accurate on the run or when he doesn’t set his feet to pass…but then, who besides maybe Favre isn’t? He could also possibly work on pocket awareness, for the was sacked often times…mostly in large part to a VERY WEAK o-line, but also because he seemingly refuses to move around in the pocket, preferring to be the classic drop-back and throw QB…which ain’t all bad.

His character is exceptional as well. He’s not “Billy Graham” in that like most people…he likes to have a good time, but he would never do anything really bad to bring a lot of embarrassment upon himself, family, or football team. He doesn’t let the media bother or shake him up at all. No matter where he goes he won’t be under near the amount of pressure or spotlight than he was as QB of Alabama, with this state’s media. He doesn’t get caught up in all the “hype” of football and likes to spend his off time quietly at home with his family hunting or fishing. His father runs a ranch, “Big Oak Ranch” where he has raised thousands of underprivileged, neglected children over the years. He has grown up as if many of them were his own siblings, therefore gets along basically with anyone despite glaring differences in hobbies or interests.

His quiet demeanor, often gives the appearance that he is cocky, arrogant, or in a football sense, indifferent. While he definitely doesn’t have a confidence problem, he isn’t someone like Donovan McNabb who will always be trying to get attention or sympathy from the media, though he’s had plenty of chances to do so. For instance, I bet he’d handle a situation similar to the Rush Limbaugh comment, much differently. Rather than making a huge ordeal and media frenzy about it…he’d probably just mumble something like “I don’t care, let him think what he wants. It doesn’t bother me.” And let me reiterate and stress that no amount of media in the NFL will compare to the intense limelight he’s been under in Alabama, where his every move is analyzed, critiqued, or comment upon. This just stresses that he doesn’t let outside sources bother him at all. The most excitement you’d see out of him at UA was after throwing a TB pass, he’d run down the field (doing his helicopter thing) and jump up in his center and roommates arms, J.B. Closner, and then congratulate the WR.

I could go on and on it allowed, but I just thought I’d maybe teach some things to KC fans who might otherwise not know about him…I’m very excited and looking for a Chiefs hat to purchase.

(Its not only b/c of Brodie, either.) I’ve been a fan of Herm Edwards, a man of outstanding character for years. I also like Tamba Hali and the background story on him…how could one not pull for him? Larry Johnson is about to become one of the premier backs in the NFL. So I’ve basically decided to adopt the Chiefs as the team I’ll pull for in the AFC. Oh, and yeah, y’all had a pretty good LB from Alabama in Derrick Thomas…I sure miss him.

Here’s to a Super Bowl I rematch this year…KC vs. GB.

Roll Tide, Go Chiefs! I hope someone enjoyed this…I’m looking forward to learning more about KC and I’m interested in learning about the non-glamour position players y’all have…

Hammock Parties
05-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Repost.

Mr. Kotter
05-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Repost.

I swear, I must be blind....I looked......:shrug:

:banghead:

Hammock Parties
05-01-2006, 04:44 PM
I swear, I must be blind....I looked......:shrug:

:banghead:

It's in my Montana-Brodie thread.

4th and Long
05-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Well no wonder he didn't see it.

No one reads your threads.

:p

Mr. Kotter
05-01-2006, 04:52 PM

I read your thread yesterday; but with the Chiefsplanet Madness stuff, I've generally avoided your threads of late....;)

FAX
05-01-2006, 04:58 PM
I read your thread yesterday; but with the Chiefsplanet Madness stuff, I've generally avoided your threads of late....;)

It's a good post, Mr. Mr. Kotter. I wanted to re-read this anyway.

It's obvious that this fellow really likes Brody. But, he's right about a lot of things. I enjoyed his take on the media attention that the Bama QB gets. They might as well be in the NFL based on the press they get.

FAX

Hammock Parties
05-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Well no wonder he didn't see it.

No one reads your threads.

:p

Not even close to the truth. My threads are wildly popular. Please don't spread misinformation in the future!

Mr. Kotter
05-01-2006, 05:35 PM
It's a good post, Mr. Mr. Kotter. I wanted to re-read this anyway.

It's obvious that this fellow really likes Brody. But, he's right about a lot of things. I enjoyed his take on the media attention that the Bama QB gets. They might as well be in the NFL based on the press they get.

FAX

FAX,

You are so polite....you have to be British royalty. Come on. Admit it. Prince Charles?

;)

Skip Towne
05-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Not even close to the truth. My threads are wildly popular. Please don't spread misinformation in the future!
Quite the antithesis in fact. Of the 500 threads in your profile only 32 made it to 100 posts. You start a lot of threads but the great majority of them bomb.

Hammock Parties
05-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Quite the antithesis in fact. Of the 500 threads in your profile only 32 made it to 100 posts. You start a lot of threads but the great majority of them bomb.

That is such bullshit. Less than 100 posts means its a bomb?

Anything that goes at least 20-30 posts is a solid thread.

For instance, everyone here simply adores my This Week in Chiefs History series...and those threads don't gather many posts. Doesn't make them unpopular.

4th and Long
05-01-2006, 05:52 PM
That is such bullshit. For instance, everyone here simply adores my This Week in Chiefs History series.
Not everyone.

Phobia
05-01-2006, 05:53 PM

That's crap. A combination of his usernames puts him well over 100 threads with over 100 posts.

Hammock Parties
05-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Not everyone.

You like it, don't lie. They're entertaining.

FAX
05-01-2006, 05:55 PM
FAX,

You are so polite....you have to be British royalty. Come on. Admit it. Prince Charles?

;)

Definitely not PC. Perhaps the reincarnation of Emily Post's secret bastard son? I don't know.

I do know that I have been criticized soundly for not posting as others do, Mr. Mr. Kotter. One would think that diversity of personality on the board would be a good thing. But, perhaps not.

So f*ck it.

FAX

Hammock Parties
05-01-2006, 05:58 PM
I've never even noticed a gochiefs "This week in history" thread. And, I certainly have never adored one.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130933&highlight=HISTORY

Come on...look at that quality thread. You think someone like 4th and Long can pump out something like that every week during the season? I'm a dynamo.

4th and Long
05-01-2006, 05:59 PM
You like it, don't lie. They're entertaining.
They are as entertaining as the news, bringing up things like, "On this date in history, May 1st, 1898, THE BATTLE OF MANILA BAY took place."

*yawn*

4th and Long
05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130933&highlight=HISTORY

Come on...look at that quality thread. You think someone like Quiksurfer can pump out something like that every week during the season? I'm a dynamo.
Uh, thats like saying, "Oh come on. I can outrun the paraplegic kid down the street."

Skip Towne
05-01-2006, 06:05 PM
That is such bullshit. Less than 100 posts means its a bomb?

Anything that goes at least 20-30 posts is a solid thread.

For instance, everyone here simply adores my This Week in Chiefs History series...and those threads don't gather many posts. Doesn't make them unpopular.
Statistically 93.6% of your threads suck. I don't read that stupid Chiefs History thread. you greatly overestimated your popularity and you are doing the same thing with your threads. You Suck!!!

Hammock Parties
05-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Statistically 93.6% of your threads suck. I don't read that stupid Chiefs History thread. you greatly overestimated your popularity and you are doing the same thing with your threads. You Suck!!!

BULLCRAP!!! Your ranking system is FLAWED! Do you KNOW how popular my tournament is? I've had MULTIPLE PM's requesting it's return over the weekend! BOW DOWN!

Skip Towne
05-01-2006, 06:10 PM
BULLCRAP!!! Your ranking system is FLAWED! Do you KNOW how popular my tournament is? I've had MULTIPLE PM's requesting it's return over the weekend! BOW DOWN!
I've seen more requests for you to shut it down than anything else. Your success with threads is comparable to your success with women.

Hammock Parties
05-01-2006, 06:13 PM
I've seen more requests for you to shut it down than anything else. Your success with threads is comparable to your success with women.

You're just jealous.

Skip Towne
05-01-2006, 06:15 PM
You're just jealous.
What a laugh! Jealous of a complete failure. Hahahahahahaha

teedubya
05-01-2006, 06:17 PM
If GoChiefs spent 14% of the time he spends trying to impress us, by making himself a better person so that maybe he could laid in the next decade...

http://www.modernpeapod.com/slashedseataffairs/uploaded_images/virgin-748033.jpg

Skip Towne
05-01-2006, 06:19 PM
If GoChiefs spent 14% of the time he spends trying to impress us, by making himself a better person so that maybe he could laid in the next decade...

http://www.modernpeapod.com/slashedseataffairs/uploaded_images/virgin-748033.jpg
Yep, but he's too fat and lazy.

Hammock Parties
05-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Your opinions are worthless. I know I'm awesome.

Mr. Kotter
05-02-2006, 12:15 AM
A writer at SI's take:

Underrated: Brodie Croyle, Alabama
Considering how much emphasis the NFL puts on arm strength, you'd think they'd be falling all over themselves for this guy. Croyle has a gun (just ask the Florida secondary). His mechanics are impeccable and his natural leadership abilities had a great deal to do with the Tide jumping out to a 9-0 start last season. I'm sure his substantial injury history (he underwent shoulder and ACL surgeries while in Tuscaloosa) is helping to knock him down the pecking order, but the fifth-year senior was a picture of health last season when he completed nearly 60 percent of his passes for 2,499 yards, 14 touchdowns and just four interceptions. This, despite the fact he played behind a horrendous offensive line that allowed 39 sacks and had to work with a largely unreliable receiving corps after Tyrone Prothro went down with a broken leg.

Mr. Kotter
05-02-2006, 12:19 AM

So f*ck it.

FAX

That, SOOOOOO......owns....I mean, OWNS!!!........ROFL

Rausch
05-02-2006, 12:21 AM
That, SOOOOOO......owns....I mean, OWNS!!!........ROFL

He's still new to the ways of "**** you," but I suspect his skill will greatly increase with time...

stevieray
05-02-2006, 01:00 AM
That's crap. A combination of his usernames puts him well over 100 threads with over 100 posts.

duudududududududuudu..warpaint

"to the war cave boy wonder"

"holybasement, phobia"

"I know boy wonder, the joker skip threatens gochiefsplanet, we must stop him!"..."Quick to wartruck!"

"Can I bring my laptop?"

Kaylore
05-02-2006, 01:31 AM
LOL this thread is gold.

4th and Long
05-02-2006, 03:52 AM
duudududududududuudu..warpaint

"to the war cave boy wonder"

"holybasement, phobia"

"I know boy wonder, the joker skip threatens gochiefsplanet, we must stop him!"..."Quick to wartruck!"

"Can I bring my laptop?"
AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Dave Lane
05-02-2006, 05:38 AM
I like the GB vs KC Superbowl yeah thats going to happen...

Dave

Inspector
05-02-2006, 05:59 AM
I don't get to watch college ball so I am not familiar with Croyle. But after reading about him I must say I'm pumped.

I can't wait for preseason to see this guy throw a few and command the offense. I sure hope the skill he has displayed in college translates well to the NFL.

Maybe, just maybe we can quit worrying so much about what happens when Trent decides to retire.

Man, I hate the offseason.

FAX
05-02-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't get to watch college ball so I am not familiar with Croyle. But after reading about him I must say I'm pumped.

I can't wait for preseason to see this guy throw a few and command the offense. I sure hope the skill he has displayed in college translates well to the NFL.

Maybe, just maybe we can quit worrying so much about what happens when Trent decides to retire.

Man, I hate the offseason.

I think Croyle is going to impress at River Falls, Mr. Inspector. I am really looking forward to camp. Things should get very interesting.

FAX

pikesome
05-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I know it has been said that Croyle had an unimpressive O-line. A little serching and I came up with a video put together by an Auburn fan that seems to bare that out.

Brodie's Greatest Hits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y2tpPRQuiw&search=croyle)