PDA

View Full Version : Chernobyl Legacy

Pitt Gorilla
05-02-2006, 02:02 PM
I posted this in DC, but I thought others might like to see it. Watch the whole thing, if you can.

http://todayspictures.slate.com/inmotion/essay_chernobyl/

teedubya
05-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Yes! Nuclear energy is the way to go.

Man, Im gonna have nightmares looking from looking at some of those pics.

Inspector
05-02-2006, 02:23 PM
OK, I'm done for the day.

That just ripped my heart out.

Those of you with kids, be careful watching this. It's rough.

For those without kids, it's still hard to see.

chagrin
05-02-2006, 02:36 PM
That was as real as it gets.

Side note: My focus kept being drawn away by the "Here's To Beer" ad at the bottom, a little inappropriate for the content of that essay, but I am still going to that site right away.

chagrin
05-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Wow, this is pretty f'd up, on top of the rest of it:

"The lower house of the Russian parliament, the Duma, has voted to halve the maximum benefits paid out to survivors of the Chernobyl nuclear accident.

Under the new rules, monthly payments cannot exceed three-hundred-and-fifty dollars.Survivors' families will continue to receive allowances after their death. The new rules are seen as a compromise between the government's more restrictive proposals and pressure to maintain higher benefits by survivors and some Duma deputies.

Tens of thousands of people suffered injury and disease after helping to fight an explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear plant -- then in the Soviet Union -- in 1986.

A Duma deputy said less than one percent of survivors would be affected by the new rules; he said most of the fifty-thousand eligible for benefits were receiving less than thirty dollars a month at today's rates."