PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or are people getting ruder?

PastorMikH
05-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Normally, I try to be respectful of others, but I am noticing that more and more people just seem to take advantage of that type of attitude. A coupld of examples....

Today the wife and I took a drive to the City and had lunch at Golden Corral. The Buffet line was a bit busy, so I’m standing in line patiently behind a guy, waiting to get to the toasted buns and BBQ Pork. There are people lined up behind me as well. As the guy finishes, another guy pushes right in front of me and starts helping himself to the stuff I‘m waiting on. I just kinda stood there in shock for a second, not believing this guy just did that. Did a mention the guy was about a foot shorter than me? Anyhow, I get the BBQ pork on a bun, and get ready to go over to get the cheddar cheese off the potato bar to top off my sandwich. There’s the guy, he’d butted in line again and is heading towards the cheese. I stood back, waited for the person immediately in front of the cheese to leave. The guy makes his move and I step in with my back to him and my elbow right about his nose level and helped myself.

Sunday night after church, we all head to the local Mazzio’s Pizza place, as is our custom. We get there and there are two tables available that we can slide together. Me and another lady from our church are standing there figuring out where to set the kids because the two tables won’t be enough for everyone. While we are standing there AT THE TABLES deciding, another large church group comes over and TAKES ONE OF OUR TWO TABLES and joins it to the other 15 tables they have strung together. Then, makes another trip back to take the chairs.

Don't even get me started on people while shopping.

Has this type of behavior always been present and I’m just noticing more as I get older, or is this type of rudeness on the rise? Also, at what level should a person respond who wishes to still be respected by the local community?

2bikemike
05-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I tend to believe that people overall are becoming ruder. However I also believe that I am much less tolerant than I used to be. It might be an age thing.

Rain Man
05-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Is it any wonder that suicide bombing is on the rise?

People are definitely getting more rude over time. My wife and I discuss this a lot while we're pushing to the front of buffet lines.

plbrdude
05-02-2006, 03:57 PM
let's not render evil for evil. or rudeness for rudeness. easier said than done i know.

jiveturkey
05-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Buffets probably aren't the best place to form an opinion on rudness.

plbrdude
05-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Buffets probably aren't the best place to form an opinion on rudness.

i heard once when eating at a buffet it was grab&growl time.

jidar
05-02-2006, 04:01 PM
That's just another reason not to eat at a Buffet.

$8 for school no? No thanks.

Baby Lee
Golden Corral buffet food is just sooo delicious, that it tends to turn off people's manner-meter.

Fish
Nope.... common courtesy has disappeared and is almost non-existent. It really tries my patience sometimes.... But what's worse is that some of these people were never taught how to treat your fellow human with respect to begin with. So you can't even really be mad at them. Years and years of poor parenting and bad role models are really catching up with the world. The lack of courtesy and respect is almost to a point where you wonder if you'll ever see that type of behavior again.

It's sad when once in a while I'll hold a door for someone, or help an older lady carry her bags to the car, and the first thing they think is you're trying to rob them or pull one over on them.....

Phobia
05-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Golden Corral? Just be thankful you weren't bowled over by a big girl and her bevy of big kids. I won't step foot inside that place despite the growth of both my girth and self esteem.

Mr. Kotter
05-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't think there's any question about it.......people have lost much of their sense of common courtesy and being polite. Many people are increasingly just down right rude. :shake:

As a teacher, I see it only getting worse. I know part of it is getting older, but it seems to be a growing trend that is actually accelerating. Cell phones, computers, lack of personal contact, popular culture, and lack of real parenting my many are all contributing to the problem in my mind.

FWIW, I don't think it's really intentional or even conscious for many people. People are just too busy, in too big of a hurry, and they've never really been taught any different. George Will refers to it as part of what he calls the "coarsening of society"--and I think he's absolutely right. JMHO.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Compared to what? Ancient Rome? They used to kill each over fruit in the markets.

big nasty kcnut
05-02-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't think so they may be rude but there are good people in the world. People are good when confronted with good. Pastor if you had your white collar on i think you might have gotten a little more respect.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't think there's any question about it.......people have lost much of their sense of common courtesy and being polite.

As a teacher, I see it only getting worse. I know part of it is getting older, but it seems to be a growing trend that is actually accelerating. Cell phones, computers, lack of personal contact, popular culture, and lack of real parenting my many are all contributing to the problem in my mind.

FWIW, I don't think it's really intentional or even conscious for many people. People are just too busy, in too big of a hurry, and they've never really been taught any different. George Will refers to it as part of what he calls the "coarsening of society"--and I think he's absolutely right. JMHO.

Good take. We discussed that at the college where I teach one night a week.
What came up was being on-line a lot to and not seeing the people you're talking to...that it was carrying over to real life.

I see it at the start of each semester...they wanna play on the 'puter, do homework from other classes or goof off during the lecture part. Then they expect a personal consultation in place of the lecture.

tyton75
05-02-2006, 04:11 PM
I read the thread starter and immediately just wanted to reply:

Fock You!

(is that bad?)

PastorMikH
05-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Golden Corral? Just be thankful you weren't bowled over by a big girl and her bevy of big kids. I won't step foot inside that place despite the growth of both my girth and self esteem.

Actually, the Golden Corral in OK city isn't too bad. It is, IMO, one of the better buffets in OK City.

And the thing that really surprises me is, you've seen me, would you get between me and a food item I'm headed towards?

plbrdude
05-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I don't think so they may be rude but there are good people in the world. People are good when confronted with good. Pastor if you had your white collar on i think you might have gotten a little more respect.

it shouldn't take that though.

PastorMikH
05-02-2006, 04:15 PM

Actually Nut, the people at Mazzios KNEW I was a Pastor. They are usually there on Sunday nights too. I knew several at their table on a first name basis.

Phobia
05-02-2006, 04:16 PM
And the thing that really surprises me is, you've seen me, would you get between me and a food item I'm headed towards?

At a Golden Corral? No. But if there were one lobster left, we'd have an XFL style race for it.

Hammock Parties
05-02-2006, 04:16 PM
I tend to agree with KC Fish. Im a cashier at walmart, and you can tell the bad parents from the good ones. I give stickers to kids and stuff all the time and the good parents say "Now billy what do you say to the nice man?" and the crappy parents that dont teach manners say "well thats nice" or anything along those lines. It just comes down to the parents, and you can tell that a lot parents are in it for the sex.

picasso
05-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Wait until these ungrateful, mismannered, bad mouthed, spoiled brats of this era get to adulthood. It's going to be hell.

But then my kid outta the blue called me sir the other day and I just about shit.

Hammock Parties
05-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Im having troubles distinguishing between generations. Im 21, would i be in the generation with the teenagers? or would i be in the generation of 20's? I tend to believe i go along with the older, because i have always been more well mannered than the kids of today are, big time.

Tribal Warfare
05-02-2006, 04:24 PM
One thing I've learned from my Dad is giving the "mad mofo" vibe which you just look at a person, and they won't do anything to cross which includes the situations that you just explained Mikh. You don't have to be a jerk, but it's all about the look and vibe you give certain individuals.

Skip Towne
05-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I solved this problem a while back. I pack heat.

RJ
05-02-2006, 04:46 PM
I recently read an article (sorry, don't have a link) about a study that's been ongoing for the past 50 years. The gist of it is a survey for young people concerning how much importance they place upon other's opinions of them. Fifty years ago a little over 60% of respondents considered others view(s) of them important. Today it's down to about 50%. So, basically, about half of the younger folks out there don't give a rat's a** what you think and about 40 % of older people don't either.

This also seems to affect driving habits, personal appearance (inappropriate dress, poor grooming), the use of foul language and a host of other things that contribute to the "general coarsening".

The other day a guy I work with, a deacon at his church in fact, was telling me a story about a guy he knew who said they were trying real hard to teach their six year old good manners. The deacon told me he thought they were raising the kid to be "a fruit". I found that sort of telling about society in general.

Rain Man
05-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Compared to what? Ancient Rome? They used to kill each over fruit in the markets.

Well, sure. But in their defense, you never knew if the guy behind you in line was a Visigoth.

CHENZ A!
05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Nope.... common courtesy has disappeared and is almost non-existent. It really tries my patience sometimes.... But what's worse is that some of these people were never taught how to treat your fellow human with respect to begin with. So you can't even really be mad at them. Years and years of poor parenting and bad role models are really catching up with the world. The lack of courtesy and respect is almost to a point where you wonder if you'll ever see that type of behavior again.

It's sad when once in a while I'll hold a door for someone, or help an older lady carry her bags to the car, and the first thing they think is you're trying to rob them or pull one over on them.....

exactly my thoughts :clap:

Skip Towne
05-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Baby Face Nelson and John dillinger were driving in Chicago when Nelson inadvertently bumped the car in front of him. A large man got out and headed back toward them. BFN calmly pulled out his .45 and blew the guys head off. Now THAT is rude!!

Chiefs Express
05-02-2006, 05:56 PM
People are getting ruder, but I don't think very many people have addressed the issue of why.

It is my opinion that parents have not fulfilled their responsibility. I also feel that in most cases the inability of schools to disipline students that act out bears some responsibility in the matter. The attitudes of kids when they know they can get away with anything tends to stick with them and as they reach adulthood they are still the #1 person in their world and damn the rest.

teedubya
05-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Im definitely getting ruder. **** all ya'll.

:)

Mr. Flopnuts
05-02-2006, 06:03 PM
In regards to this thread, the correct grammatical statement would be "Is it just me, or are people becomng more rude?"

Okay, that was rude. :)

Skip Towne
05-02-2006, 06:06 PM
In regards to this thread, the correct grammatical statement would be "Is it just me, or are people becomng more rude?"

You misspelled becoming. Please watch your grammar.

Frazod
05-02-2006, 06:24 PM
The line-butting idiot and other sociopaths like him do that shit because no one calls them on it. Therein lies the mistake.

Mike, IIRC, from your picture you look like a pretty big guy. I know you're a preacher and all, but that really shouldn't stop you from telling some rude little bastard half your size to go to back of the friggin line. Somebody has to.

I also agree with Tom that a great deal of our problems come from piss poor parenting. We're now suffering through the third generation since the ruinous 60s. Yippee. :shake:

Mr. Flopnuts
05-02-2006, 06:33 PM
You misspelled becoming. Please watch your grammar.

My keyboard is a might bit sticky. This is because I saw a video on the intraweb today that showed some hot young blond shaking her moneymaker. I guess she sent it to a former student or something? Quite satisfying.

Over-Head
05-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Manners are becoming a thing of the past EVERYWHERE.

When I was on the highway you expected it in some places more so than others. (IE: Large city vs Country )
But now I just put up with it.

I will go on record as saying tho the people in the city of ST. John’s NL are ignorant!

First off they drive like f’ing maniacs.
You literally count to 3 when you get a green light or WAMMO!!!

I’ve been working here for 4 years, and for 4 years I’ve delt with probably a close runner for the "most ignorant city in North America" list I keep in my head from 13 years of traveling coast to coast.

I come from the old school, where you damn well respected your elders, and it was
"Mr & Mrs. Smith" not Edna and Jake.

You held the door for a lady,

you said "thank you", "please", "excuse me", "pardon me", and "yes"
NOT
"Good", "gimme", "ooops", "move will ya", "what/Hunnn?", and "yep"

Every now and then for the amount of times I do show some curtsey I do get a smile.
Yes folks a Ra!der fan with Class! Take a fuggen picture cuz it don’t often happen! :banghead:

Over-Head
05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I solved this problem a while back. I pack heat.

this just screamed cheap shot all over it :hmmm:

PastorMikH
05-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Mike, IIRC, from your picture you look like a pretty big guy. I know you're a preacher and all, but that really shouldn't stop you from telling some rude little bastard half your size to go to back of the friggin line. Somebody has to.

I was pretty much shocked at first. Which is why I made SURE I waited until he started to move to step right in front of him, holding my plate up a bit so he had to make a conscious decision to hit my elbow with his nose if he wanted to persue the present course further.:)

I must say, it felt rather good too.:):)

As for the age bit, it isn't just the younger generations. I'm noticing the 40-55 year olds are acting this way. It's almost like they expect you to get out of their way.

ChiefFripp
05-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Well if you spend alot of time in a church I can see how you might get culture shock when you venture out into public.

PastorMikH
05-02-2006, 07:26 PM
I come from the old school, where you damn well respected your elders, and it was
"Mr & Mrs. Smith" not Edna and Jake.

That right there is something I struggle with. I actually have older people in the church correct me when I refer to them by Mr or Mrs Lastname. It feels really awkward to me to call someone 40 years older than me by their first name.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Seems to me the baby boomers were the FIRST generation of manner degradation. Get used to it folks, people have turned into walking, talking assholes. I just moved to Charlotte NC, and the first thing I discovered was that if "Southern Hospitality" was more than an old myth, it died on the NC highways. People are just jerks overall, and chances are, you and I are some of them in one way or another. Even nice people aren't nice ALL the time.

PastorMikH
05-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Well if you spend alot of time in a church I can see how you might get culture shock when you venture out into public.

I'm one of the rare types that has spent enough time on the other side of the church to not be completely naive. But even when I was a rebellious teenager, I had some respect for people thanks to my upbringing.

kc-nd
05-02-2006, 07:30 PM
... heading towards the cheese. I stood back ...

I would stand back too, especially if he cut the cheese.

Did he?

Auld Lang Syne
05-02-2006, 07:32 PM
I was pretty much shocked at first. Which is why I made SURE I waited until he started to move to step right in front of him, holding my plate up a bit so he had to make a conscious decision to hit my elbow with his nose if he wanted to persue the present course further.:)

As for the age bit, it isn't just the younger generations. I'm noticing the 40-55 year olds are acting this way. It's almost like they expect you to get out of their way.

Maybe it's from a little of the Pre-Hippie stages as well, some of the baby-boomers might have contributed to the current state of rudeness.

ChiefFripp
05-02-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm one of the rare types that has spent enough time on the other side of the church to not be completely naive. But even when I was a rebellious teenager, I had some respect for people thanks to my upbringing.
I've just always known the majority of people to be rude. Thanks to my mom, I'm one of the few polite people in this world. We rule!

Skip Towne
05-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Thanks for leaving out us 60 somethings.

Red Dawg
05-02-2006, 07:57 PM
WHO THE HELL ARE YOU CALLING RUDE, MUTH FOCKER!

Halfcan
05-02-2006, 07:58 PM
That is when you totally go off on the guy and shove his f$ckin head in the hot cheese so the horrible scars on his face will always remind him to be polite.

PastorMikH
05-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks for leaving out us 60 somethings.

Well, to be honest, it was 12:30 when we were eating. Had it been 4pm, we probably would have had the opportunity to view the old prunes at the fiber bar.

nychief
05-02-2006, 09:16 PM
eat shit.

also, I believe you are right.

****er.

greg63
05-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Is it just me or are people getting ruder?

This kind of behavior has been around for a while; whether or not it is on the rise or not I don't believe is measurable. There are simply too many variables involved. You may simply be more aware of it then before.

opraider
05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
What do you expect from the white trash that eats at the Golden Corral?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-02-2006, 09:43 PM

This is an easy opinion to have, but I have to disagree. I will admit that white trash are almost always among the rudest of all people you will encounter, but so are silver spoons. I remember I was in a Panera at the West County Mall in St. Louis a few years ago and I was just taken aback by how much of a dick everyone was to my girlfriend and I. The place was packed and there were no completely empty tables, but there were several tables lined up directly beside one another that only had 3-4 occupants for 6 seats. Everytime we inquired as to whether or not we could sit there, we were greeted with f*ck off, albeit not always in so certain terms.

It goes both ways.

PastorMikH
05-02-2006, 09:58 PM

More than you'd expect from a raiderette fan thats for sure.

Halfcan
05-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I deal with the public all day every day, and I have come to one conclusion.

There are two kinds of folks, educated or unedumacated.

50% are on a grade school level-I mean there are some really stupid fuggers out there.

40% at a HS level-smart enough to make a living, but can't get ahead in life.

5% college educated and make a great living.
5% run the world-born leaders.

Rausch
05-02-2006, 10:07 PM

50% are on a grade school level-I mean there are some really stupid fuggers out there.

40% say "Um.....uh........umm...." after I ask them their last name to put on the order.

"Don't stress, favorite color, a Beatles song, whatever..."

Halfcan
05-02-2006, 10:14 PM
I have folks that don't remember their own address or SSN. And their grammer dun gavin me a dern headache.

PastorMikH
05-03-2006, 06:44 AM
I have folks that don't remember their own address or SSN. And their grammer dun gavin me a dern headache.

I believe Einstein fit into that catagory.:)

big nasty kcnut
05-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Pastor you need to lecture them on being nice. I think you need to lay the biblcal smackdown on them

KCTitus
05-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Seems to me the baby boomers were the FIRST generation of manner degradation. Get used to it folks, people have turned into walking, talking assholes. I just moved to Charlotte NC, and the first thing I discovered was that if "Southern Hospitality" was more than an old myth, it died on the NC highways. People are just jerks overall, and chances are, you and I are some of them in one way or another. Even nice people aren't nice ALL the time.

There's a LOT of transplants in Charlotte, NC. That's probably not a good place to get the concept of 'Southern Hospitality'.

MOhillbilly
05-03-2006, 07:00 AM
im a dick here and i can be a complete ass in person,but i try to live my life respectfull of others like i was taught(take the good and leave the rest behind)
i say yes sir and ma am open the doors for both, step out of the way for elderly and women, say excuse me ect.....

StcChief
05-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Yep. I have noticed people here that are natives seem to be rude. got worse though

yunghungwell
05-03-2006, 07:15 AM

Cop arresting a teenager for drunk driving: "What was the highest grade that you completed in school?"

Teenager: "A+"

:banghead:

Eleazar
05-03-2006, 07:18 AM
I think it depends on where you go. For example at the office, people are very polite, hold the elevator for someone they see walking up, hold the door open for the person behind you, say excuse me when you almost bump into each other, that kind of thing.

Where you run into rude people seems to be more general places like restaurants, sports games, stores, that kind of thing.

I think there are plenty of nice people out there still, but the people who were already rude are getting even more rude.

burt
05-03-2006, 07:24 AM

Shut up!!! You are f***ing skinny. It pi**es me of when you little sh*ts complain about their girth. Damn. Until you tip the scales at over 250 just shut the f**k up, and realize, there are LARGE people out here that are f***ing offended when littlle sh**s like you complain about their f***ing weight....

Now what was this post about??....

dirk digler
05-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Im definitely getting ruder. **** all ya'll.

We've noticed asshole.

Lzen
05-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Haven't read through the whole thread as of yet so, if this has already been mentioned, nm.

Pastor, why didn't you say to the people at Mazzio's "wait a second, we're using these tables and chairs"? I know what they did was rude, but I would've just told them they can't have the tables.

Part of the rudeness these days comes from a lot of the popular culture. The other day, I caught some of the crap they're showing on MTV these days - Yo Mama and Wild And Out. My nephew really loves these shows and talked me into letting him watch them. But all they do on these programs is talk crap on each other. Wow, such quality television. :rolleyes:

A couple weeks ago, I was playing hoops with some dudes and there was this guy that supposedly is a good player at Topeka High School playing with us that day. He drove by his man and I stepped out to stop his path to the basket. Our knees collided and he went down in pain and agony for a couple minutes. Somebody else beat me to helping him up, but I did put my hand out afterwards. You know, to say "hey, I was just trying to play 'D' and it wasn't trying to intentionally injure you or anything". But this dude didn't even accept the gesture. He didn't even put his hand out to shake. WTH? I just had to shake my head thinking "this guy must be a real jackass". :shake:

Baby Lee
05-03-2006, 08:15 AM
I believe the term this thread is looking for is;

whippersnapper.

Thats;

whippersnapper.

Phobia
05-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Shut up!!! You are f***ing skinny. It pi**es me of when you little sh*ts complain about their girth. Damn. Until you tip the scales at over 250 just shut the f**k up, and realize, there are LARGE people out here that are f***ing offended when littlle sh**s like you complain about their f***ing weight....

Now what was this post about??....

I was skinny when I met you. Now I'm fat again.

Chiefnj
05-03-2006, 08:21 AM
You're probably just trying to fit in with all the cool KC reporters - Whitlock and Moss. You don't stand a chance in the buffet line.

Amnorix
05-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Nope, you're just noticing it more.

Wichita Lineman
05-03-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm in complete agreement with both KC Fish and Mr. Kotter. Our society has forgotten how to install basic manners and respect into our children. Now we are getting older and we wonder why we aren't respected like we respected our parents,well don't bitch if you didn't do the work at home. I'm most proud of the fact that my children know how to act in public and how to treat their elders. I don't just know by being with them but because I've been told by teachers and people in the community that I should be proud of them.Now I'm proud of my grandchildren because they are being taught the same lessons. I just wish more people had had parents to teach them like I had.

ROYC75
05-03-2006, 10:21 AM
The moral decay of the American people has taken it's toll...... attitudes, discontent, quick to lash out at people.

It has gotten worst......... want more proof, look no farther than right here. This place use to be more calmer than it is now. I'm not complaining, I can be a bit rude and sarcastic as the next person. I'm just stating, the world as we know it is ever changing...

sedated
05-03-2006, 10:37 AM
All the old fuddy duddies pining for the good old days.

You guys gotta get out of the midwest, everyone is way too nice.

Spend a week or two driving in Manhattan traffic, and rudeness will become second nature

Inspector
05-03-2006, 10:45 AM
This is the work of Satan.

SATAN I'm tellin ya!!!

burt
05-03-2006, 10:58 AM

That is so cool!!! Now you can hang out with me and Domer....I am 260lbs, he's @ 290.........'cept....his is mostly muscle.

Oh, just for the thread...... SHUT THE H**L UP, YOU BUNCH OF WHINEY *&^*()'S, ()^&%@*&&*, *&^^$% YOU AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON. YOU GUYS CAN **&^%^$^#@%#

Rain Man
05-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Another potential theory is that the environment is changing, and situations that promote rudeness are now more common. So rudeness isn't changing on a micro-level, but it's increasing on a macro-level due to the environmental changes.

For example, if people are naturally more rude at dessert bars in buffets, and those are becoming more common, while areas of politeness such as the condiment counter at Taco Bell are becoming less common due to immigrant walkouts, then it will create an illusion of a ruder society even though society is not changing its etiquette over time.

A key to proving or disproving this theory is to identify places where rudeness is common behavior and politeness is common behavior, and determine if they're becoming more or less pervasive in society.

Here are a few of my personal rudeness/politeness venues, and how they're changing.

Rain Man's Rude Places

1. Stores where I have to shop for large-size pants because I can no longer fit into size 34s - Becoming much more common

2. Stores that serve $3 coffee where my wife wastes money that could otherwise be spent on Chinese food - Becoming more common

3. Work environments where I have more employees than bosses - Becoming more common.

Rain Man's Polite Places

1. Chiefs Playoff Games - Becoming less common

2. Places Where Attractive Naked Women Dance - Became much less common when I got married

3. Places that Serve Really Good BBQ - Less common in Denver than when I lived in Missouri

So far, my theory is looking good.

Clint in Wichita
05-03-2006, 11:12 AM
People are not less courteous. They are more retarded.

Wichita Lineman
05-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Less courteous, less respectful,just read some of these comments on this thread and I'll bet you that the rude ones are from 20 something and down. Bet a farm in Texas on it and you'll be a rich man.

kcfan88
05-03-2006, 01:46 PM

Beat me to it! ROFL