dirk digler
05-03-2006, 07:35 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14485270.htm

Chiefs may have been trying to trade for wide receiver
By JEFFREY FLANAGAN
The Kansas City Star
McCarthy
Brandt

The Chiefs were looking for a high-impact wide receiver on the first day of the draft after all.

Well, that’s according to nfl.com senior analyst Gil Brandt, who said on Sirius radio that before the Denver Broncos acquired Packers wide receiver Javon Walker for a second-round pick, the Packers turned down an offer, believed to be lesser, from the Chiefs.

The Chiefs on Tuesday would neither confirm nor deny the report.

“We don’t discuss trades that didn’t happen,” said Chiefs associate director of public relations Pete Moris.

Trade talk between the Packers and Chiefs over Walker seems almost logical, though, considering the Chiefs’ thin wide-receiver situation.

Also, Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson was in Green Bay early last week to once again scout the completed renovation of Lambeau Field. The Chiefs, during a visit to Lambeau in 2003, came away thoroughly impressed with the renovation project, which was designed by the Kansas City architectural firm of Ellerbe Becket.

Peterson also is very familiar with Packers coach Mike McCarthy, a former quarterbacks coach with the Chiefs, and Packers special assistant to the general manager John Schneider, formerly of the Chiefs’ front office.

It doesn’t seem likely the Chiefs were willing to part with a high draft pick, however, considering they already were without a fourth-round draft pick, and Walker is coming off an ACL injury.

Sure-Oz
05-03-2006, 07:41 AM
I heard we offered them the 4th rounder we didn't have....low blow carl!

dirk digler
05-03-2006, 07:43 AM
I heard we offered them the 4th rounder we didn't have....low blow carl!

ROFL

It wouldn't surpise me.

TRR
05-03-2006, 08:01 AM
They could have had their WR in the 3rd round if they traded for Donte Stallworth.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Packers wanted a 2nd. Denver's was 20 picks ahead of ours.

We never had a chance and trading our first would have been a stupid, stupid move.

StcChief
05-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Glad we didn't pull without a 4th.

Hope his ACL isn't quite right...a Bust in Denver would server them right.

Mr. Laz
05-03-2006, 10:11 AM
We never had a chance

yea... that's it

Mile High Mania
05-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Considering that Lelie is the best drafted WR under Shanahan.... I'm cool with trading a 2nd rounder for a really good player coming off an injury.

Dartgod
05-03-2006, 10:38 AM
yea... that's it
No, no, no.

We were only driving up the price for Denver to get him. Read your Planet Lexicon.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 10:39 AM
yea... that's it

So you think Green Bay would have taken the 54th pick over the 37th or whatever it was?

Or do you think we should have packaged a bunch of picks to move into the 35 range to get him?

Don't be an idiot.

Hoover
05-03-2006, 10:49 AM
I'd rather pay for Ty Law than Javon

buddha
05-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Walker is still rehabbing from a serious injury. He "may" be ready for the season, and he "may" be 100%, etc. I think KC can do better and I'm relieved they didn't give up any of their higher draft picks. The Donkeys had a glut of draft picks, so they could afford to be more cavalier with their selections.

Frankie
05-03-2006, 12:01 PM
J Walker to WR = P Surtain to CB (at least)

I would have been ok with giving up our 2nd considering we practically got an unknown for it. But as others have pointed out our 2nd was much lower than Denver's. I'm still puzzled how every draft they end up with extra high draft picks without losing any player of significance! :hmmm: It's almost as eerie a mystery as their seemingly bottomless cap.

Mr. Laz
05-03-2006, 12:05 PM
So you think Green Bay would have taken the 54th pick over the 37th or whatever it was?

Or do you think we should have packaged a bunch of picks to move into the 35 range to get him?

Don't be an idiot.
anyone who disagrees with you is always an idiot ... :shake:

how did Denver get ahead of us in the 1st round ... in 2nd round?

They went to the playoffs and were slotted to pick BEHIND us in the draft. They did so by being active before the draft and during the draft. By trading up and down ... something we could of done too.

so instead of just looking at the surface and saying "we had no chance" ... lets look a little deeper and see that we didn't do to put ourselves into a position to not have a chance, while Denver did.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

gcbroncos
05-03-2006, 12:12 PM
J Walker to WR = P Surtain to CB (at least)

I'm still puzzled how every draft they end up with extra high draft picks without losing any player of significance!

we're just lucky i guess ;)

ct
05-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Much of it started last year when they took advantage of Washington, when they reached back into the 1st round for Jason Campbell. Denver then had 2 1st round picks this year, both after ours, and 2 3rds.

Then they moved up, packaging a 1st and 3rd, and taking advantage of a desperate Atlanta team (starting to see a trend?).

Next they move 1 of those 1st to San Fran, getting a 2nd and 3rd.

There was also a comp pick in the 4th awarded to them I believe.

So with all the movements, they stated Saturday morning with 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds, providing a very flexible game plan.

Basically it boils down to Shanahan has balls, Carl apparently does not.

EDIT: needed a post of it's own

Mile High Mania
05-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Much of it started last year when they took advantage of Washington, when they reached back into the 1st round for Jason Campbell. Denver then had 2 1st round picks this year, both after ours, and 2 3rds.

Then they moved up, packaging a 1st and 3rd, and taking advantage of a desperate Atlanta team (starting to see a trend?).

So with all the movements, they stated Saturday morning with 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds, providing a very flexible game plan.

They're pretty good at trading picks and getting better position in the draft... I just wish they were more successful with the actuall selections they make. They're not all are bad, but for as much as Shanahan knows about offense... I dare say that his defensive picks typically work out better than they do on offense.

gcbroncos
05-03-2006, 12:24 PM

nice breakdown....couldn't of said it better myself...

bottom line - shanny just ain't afraid to take chances...

sometimes they don't pan out (clarrett,gardner,rice,etc.)

but shanny doesn't care about what others think...the negative criticism bounces right off of him

we'll see how his gambles this year play out...i hope it goes well

58-4ever
05-03-2006, 12:26 PM
nice breakdown....couldn't of said it better myself...

bottom line - shanny just ain't afraid to take chances...

sometimes they don't pan out (clarrett,gardner,rice,etc.)

but shanny doesn't care about what others think...the negative criticism bounces right off of him

we'll see how his gambles this year play out...i hope it goes well

Talk to me when he has a tenure that Carl has had. If you want to know about a person that neg. criticism doesn't bother, it's Carl. We don't call him the King because we like the ****ing guy.

dirk digler
05-03-2006, 12:30 PM

That pretty much sums it up.

Shanahan has been making alot of moves the last 2-3 seasons trying anything to get to the SB while CP stands around with his thumb up his ass.

gcbroncos
05-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Talk to me when he has a tenure that Carl has had. If you want to know about a person that neg. criticism doesn't bother, it's Carl. We don't call him the King because we like the ****ing guy.

LOL

ct
05-03-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm trying to make better sense of all this w/ Denver.

What Denver would have been slotted, prior to any trades

1.29 normal 1st round slot
2.61 normal 2nd round slot
3.93 normal 3rd round slot
4.126 normal 4th round slot
4.130 comp 4th round pick

From 2005 trade out of 1st round with Washington (I don't recall what, if anything, Denver obtained in 2005 draft) Dumb move by Washington!

1.22 Obtained via Washington from '05 trade
4.119 Obtained via Washington from '05 trade

Trade with Atlanta, obtained 1.15, gave up 1.29 and 3.93 (an absolute bend-over on the Falcons!!)

1.15 Obtained via Atlanta

Trade with San Fran, obtained 2.37 and 3.68, gave up 1.22 (pretty even trade here, seems a decent move for both teams)

2.37 Obtained via San Fran
3.68 Obtained via San Fran

Trade with St. Louis, obtained 1.11, gave up 1.15 and 3.68 (Fair trade, great move by the Rams, who got an extra pick, and still with their choice of available CBs).

1.11 Obtained via St. Louis

Trade with Green Bay, obtained WR Javon Walker, gave up 2.37 (worth it? only time will tell, but I think both teams get huge benefit.)

1.11 Obtained via St. Louis - QB Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
2.37 Obtained via San Fran - WR Javon Walker (via trade w/ GB)
2.61 normal 2nd round slot - TE Tony Scheffler, W. Michigan
4.119 Obtained via Washington from '05 trade - WR Brandon Marshall, C. Florida
4.126 normal 4th round slot - DE Elvis Dumervil, Louisville
4.130 comp 4th round pick - WR Domenik Hixon, Akron

So from:

to:

QB Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
WR Javon Walker (via trade w/ GB)
TE Tony Scheffler, W. Michigan
WR Brandon Marshall, C. Florida
DE Elvis Dumervil, Louisville
WR Domenik Hixon, Akron

A whole lot of maneuvering, still netted 5 rookie prospects in 4 rounds, including a potential QBOTF, and a Pro-Bowl WR. Like I said, Shanahan has balls, Carl doesn't.

ct
05-03-2006, 12:46 PM

OMFG, this is a joke right?

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 01:07 PM
anyone who disagrees with you is always an idiot ... :shake:

how did Denver get ahead of us in the 1st round ... in 2nd round?

They went to the playoffs and were slotted to pick BEHIND us in the draft. They did so by being active before the draft and during the draft. By trading up and down ... something we could of done too.

so instead of just looking at the surface and saying "we had no chance" ... lets look a little deeper and see that we didn't do to put ourselves into a position to not have a chance, while Denver did.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I guess I'm gonna have to remind you that Denver traded their FIRST ROUND PICK last year to get this ball rolling. They didn't just give up nothing.

If we had done this, everybody here, including you, would have been bitching about how stupid Carl is for trading a high pick for an injured WR.

So instead of just ignoring the facts and bitching, realize this for what it is.

Mr. Laz
05-03-2006, 01:15 PM
I guess I'm gonna have to remind you that Denver traded their FIRST ROUND PICK last year to get this ball rolling. They didn't just give up nothing.

If we had done this, everybody here, including you, would have been bitching about how stupid Carl is for trading a high pick for an injured WR.

So instead of just ignoring the facts and bitching, realize this for what it is.
so show me where i've bitch at all about not getting walker?

i haven't

but this "we didn't have a chance" is just a BS excuse

we can do everything other teams can do ... we just don't

the chiefs aren't active ... aren't imaginative ... and don't particularly work very hard at trying to be active.

Denver works their ass off (with good and bad results) and therefore was in a position to get Walker.

we pretty much just sit there and hope stuff falls into our laps.

ct
05-03-2006, 01:15 PM

Yep, very true. For KC, with all our needs, to defer a 1st round pick to next year is a bad idea. But for Denver last year, with not as many needs, it set them up for a nice catch this year. Now that I've said that, if you can still select quality in a 2nd round, I'd be willing to do it at any time.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 01:16 PM

i haven't

the chiefs aren't active ... aren't imaginative ... and don't particularly work very hard at trying to be active.

Denver works their ass off (with good and bad results) and therefore was in a position to get Walker.

We COULD have traded what Denver did to get Walker.

And it would have been quite possibly the dumbest move Carl has ever made.

Mr. Laz
05-03-2006, 01:23 PM
We COULD have traded what Denver did to get Walker.

And it would have been quite possibly the dumbest move Carl has ever made.
so you first statement about "we couldn't do it" was just bullshit

at least that's a start

next time maybe we can just start with the more accurate "I don't think they should of done it" and avoid all this mess.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 01:25 PM
so you first statement about "we couldn't do it" was just bullshit

at least that's a start

next time maybe we can just start with the more accurate "I don't think they should of done it" and avoid all this mess.

My first statement was that our SINGULAR 2nd-round pick was 20 slots behind Denver's and since Green Bay wanted a 2nd, there was no way they were going to take ours.

It still stands.

Next time maybe you can refrain from picking apart every statement in a lame attempt to bash the team and just take it for what it is...

dirk digler
05-03-2006, 01:41 PM

i haven't

That is spot on Laz. :clap:

FloridaMan88
05-03-2006, 03:47 PM

i haven't

:clap: :clap: Major Rep

I am so sick of people making excuses for Peterson's inactivity and his inability to make the aggressive moves necessary to push this team over the top.

I find it funny that some people actually think that the Chiefs WOULDN'T be a better team right now if they had Javon Walker.

Take a look at the Chiefs current group of WRs, it isn't pretty.

Mr. Laz
05-03-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm trying to make better sense of all this w/ Denver.

What Denver would have been slotted, prior to any trades

From 2005 trade out of 1st round with Washington (I don't recall what, if anything, Denver obtained in 2005 draft) Dumb move by Washington!

Trade with Atlanta, obtained 1.15, gave up 1.29 and 3.93 (an absolute bend-over on the Falcons!!)

Trade with San Fran, obtained 2.37 and 3.68, gave up 1.22 (pretty even trade here, seems a decent move for both teams)

3.68 Obtained via San Fran

Trade with St. Louis, obtained 1.11, gave up 1.15 and 3.68 (Fair trade, great move by the Rams, who got an extra pick, and still with their choice of available CBs).

1.11 Obtained via St. Louis

Trade with Green Bay, obtained WR Javon Walker, gave up 2.37 (worth it? only time will tell, but I think both teams get huge benefit.)

1.11 Obtained via St. Louis - QB Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
2.37 Obtained via San Fran - WR Javon Walker (via trade w/ GB)
2.61 normal 2nd round slot - TE Tony Scheffler, W. Michigan
4.119 Obtained via Washington from '05 trade - WR Brandon Marshall, C. Florida
4.126 normal 4th round slot - DE Elvis Dumervil, Louisville
4.130 comp 4th round pick - WR Domenik Hixon, Akron

So from:

to:

QB Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
WR Javon Walker (via trade w/ GB)
TE Tony Scheffler, W. Michigan
WR Brandon Marshall, C. Florida
DE Elvis Dumervil, Louisville
WR Domenik Hixon, Akron

A whole lot of maneuvering, still netted 5 rookie prospects in 4 rounds, including a potential QBOTF, and a Pro-Bowl WR. Like I said, Shanahan has balls, Carl doesn't.

nice post ....... it's all about working smart,hard and being aggressive.

nobody around here likes shannarat ... but you gotta admit, he work his ass off trying to do as much as he can.

polar opposite of the chiefs