PDA

View Full Version : Best brisket marinade

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 08:42 AM
I need help... I've done a few briskets in my time, but I'm still looking for the best marinade.

My sis-in-law's grad party is tomorrow and I'm grillmaster... I'm smoking a brisket and a pork butt. The butt is going in a brine and I have all the rubs and/or sauces to be used (I made them up last night). What I do not have, is a great brisket marinade.

Help, please.

*** I e-mailed Phobia last night, thinking he'd be able to help. Punk-ass bitch apparently sucks at cow. Bastard.

:D

sedated
05-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Antifreeze

Phobia sucks cows?

Baby Lee
05-05-2006, 08:49 AM
http://www.claudessauces.com/brisket_sauce.htm

DMAC
05-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Easy, Maul it!!

Fish
05-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Here's my favorite......

Allegro Brisket Marinade (http://www.allegromarinade.com/brisket.html)

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Easy, Maul it!!
I am praying that you're kidding.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Phobia sucks cows?
That's what I heard.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the Allegro and Claude's suggestions... but I was really thinking something more homemade rather than a factory sauce. My rubs and sauces are both homemade. Damn good, too.

DMAC
05-05-2006, 09:51 AM
I am praying that you're kidding.Thats what men cook with JR.!! None uh dis fancy shmancy hoity toity crap!!

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Marinade?

Dry >>> wet

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Marinade?

Dry >>> wet
So are you recommending I just put the rub on it and let it sit overnight? It's a sweet rub -- 1c sugar, 1/2c. salt, and various spices. I don't know that I've ever done a dry rub, but I'm certainly willing to take your advice.

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 10:06 AM
So are you recommending I just put the rub on it and let it sit overnight? It's a sweet rub -- 1c sugar, 1/2c. salt, and various spices. I don't know that I've ever done a dry rub, but I'm certainly willing to take your advice.

I usually put the rub on and let it sit for about an hour. I don't let anything sit overnight...additional spice penetration occurs naturally during smoking as the fat melts and soaks in.

Also, your rub has far too much sugar for brisket - it will carmelize first and then char.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 10:07 AM
htismaqe -- I just looked in your profile to see if you were still online and saw your avy... that's incredible.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 10:08 AM
I usually put the rub on and let it sit for about an hour. I don't let anything sit overnight...additional spice penetration occurs naturally during smoking as the fat melts and soaks in.

Also, your rub has far too much sugar for brisket - it will carmelize first and then char.
You think? It works perfect for ribs.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Of course, ribs don't sit in the smoker as long, huh? Dammit. I didn't think about that.

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Yep. Ribs don't sit as long so a sugary rub works better.

One other thing - WET sugar chars worse than dry sugar, so marinating or letting your rub sit overnight would actually make it worse. I found this out by using brown sugar once and not thoroughly drying it first.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 10:20 AM
OK, then, htismaqe. Teach me, oh wise one.

Got a recommendation for a rub?

cdcox
05-05-2006, 10:25 AM
I've used the dry rub method with the briskets I've done.

I think a 1:1 salt:sugar ratio is too high, but I tend to use lots of spices to keep the sugar content lower. Something like:

1 part salt
2 parts sugar
2 parts everthing else together (paprika, black pepper, chilli powder, garlic powder, cayenne, cumin etc. etc.)

If the brisket starts drying out, and its not done yet, wrap with foil. You'll get a moist tender brisket that way.

cdcox
05-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Turbinado sugar tends to avoid carmelization better than white or brown. May be hard to find.

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I've used the dry rub method with the briskets I've done.

I think a 1:1 salt:sugar ratio is too high, but I tend to use lots of spices to keep the sugar content lower. Something like:

1 part salt
2 parts sugar
2 parts everthing else together (paprika, black pepper, chilli powder, garlic powder, cayenne, cumin etc. etc.)

If the brisket starts drying out, and its not done yet, wrap with foil. You'll get a moist tender brisket that way.

Pretty good recommendations.

Brisket just doesn't need much sugar. I like black and red pepper for my brisket rub.

And yes, after having Phobia and others recommend foil, I tried it. It works.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I've used foil, but my (usual) experience with foil and brisket is it steams/braises in the foil and easily becomes overdone (mushy). Using a propane smoker (gasp!) I don't have a problem with moisture or it getting too dry, since the gas adds moisture to the air naturally.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Turbinado sugar tends to avoid carmelization better than white or brown. May be hard to find.
Is that the "natural" sugar -- large crystals, light brown in color, basically unrefined sugar? That stuff rules in iced tea.

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I've used foil, but my (usual) experience with foil and brisket is it steams/braises in the foil and easily becomes overdone (mushy). Using a propane smoker (gasp!) I don't have a problem with moisture or it getting too dry, since the gas adds moisture to the air naturally.

If it's getting mushy, you're using too high of a heat.

It could also be because you're USING GAS. Sacrelige.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah, the gas is what I have. When I get moved I'm building a pit. And the ONLY time I have problems with mushy brisket (or anything, for that matter) is when I wrap it. It's not heat, when the temp is 220.

cdcox
05-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Is that the "natural" sugar -- large crystals, light brown in color, basically unrefined sugar? That stuff rules in iced tea.

Yep, that's the stuff.

Baby Lee
05-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the Allegro and Claude's suggestions... but I was really thinking something more homemade rather than a factory sauce. My rubs and sauces are both homemade. Damn good, too.
I've worked with homemade, wet and dry. But once we tried Claude's, it was like 'why use anything else?'
Can't recommend enough.