PDA

View Full Version : Kansas - No grass on the field? Play in the mud.

sedated
05-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Kansas setting minimum marriage age: 15
State has had no minimum if parents or court approved
TOPEKA, Kan. - Kansas may have seen the last of its child brides.

After a pregnant 14-year-old from Nebraska drove to Kansas last year to marry her 22-year-old boyfriend, now serving time for having sex with the minor, Kansas lawmakers decided it was time the set a minimum marriage age.

On Thursday, the Kansas House voted 119-0 to approve a bill that would prohibit anyone under the age of 15 from marrying in Kansas and would set strict limits for would-be brides or grooms under the age of 18. The Senate approved it a day earlier, 36-4.

Under the legislation, requested by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, a 15-year-old could marry only if a district court judge decided it was in that person’s best interest.

Those who are 16 or 17 could marry if they met one of three conditions: permission from a parent or legal guardian and judicial consent; permission from both parents and any legal guardian; or permission from judge if the parents are dead and there is no legal guardian.

Currently, Kansas has no minimum age for marriage if the minor has parental or judicial approval.

In the case of the Nebraska girl — a person must be at least 17 to marry in that state — the girl’s mother gave permission for the couple to get married in Kansas last spring after learning that her daughter was pregnant. The couple’s daughter was born a few months later, in August.

The groom, Matthew Koso, was charged with sexual assault and sentenced in February to 18 to 30 months in prison for impregnating the girl.

Last month, Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue set 16 as that state’s minimum marriage age after a 37-year-old woman married a 15-year-old boy, a friend of her teenage son. Lisa Lynnette Clark pleaded guilty in March to statutory rape and was sentenced to nine months in prison.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Fish
05-05-2006, 01:16 PM
So you can marry that 15 yr old girl, but it's illegal to have sex with her.......

well that makes perfect sense.....

Skip Towne
05-05-2006, 01:26 PM
So you can marry that 15 yr old girl, but it's illegal to have sex with her.......

well that makes perfect sense.....
Hey, it's Kansas. Have you noticed how nobody can drink beer on Sunday since beer sales are prohibited on Sunday. (This stupid law may have changed since I left)

sedated
05-05-2006, 03:11 PM
I think its funny that they past this law, but all the husbands are in jail for statutory rape.

Thig Lyfe
05-05-2006, 03:17 PM
If you are a 22-year-old with a 14-year old girlfriend...

something's wrong.

In fact, that's not an uncommon age gap on those NBC Dateline "To Catch a Predator" specials.

Lzen
05-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Hey, it's Kansas. Have you noticed how nobody can drink beer on Sunday since beer sales are prohibited on Sunday. (This stupid law may have changed since I left)

A lot of local municipalities started challenging that law a couple years ago. Lawrence and Topeka now sell on Sundays. A few others do, as well.

Fish
05-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Yeah..... evidently Kansas is one of the only states that knows how much Jesus hated booze......

Hydrae
05-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah..... evidently Kansas is one of the only states that knows how much Jesus hated booze......

Amazingly enough, there are many "dry" counties in Texas that sell no alcohol at any time. Guess they decided they liked being stuck in the good ol' days of prohibition. :shrug:

Moooo
05-05-2006, 08:21 PM
How does any guy justify liking a 14 year-old? I mean, I feel like a dirty old man when I look at highschool senior girls, and I'm only 22.

I met a girl at a bar who told me she got married at 17. Come to think of it, she said she was from Kansas...

Moooo

wazu
05-05-2006, 08:36 PM
If you are a 22-year-old with a 14-year old girlfriend...

something's wrong.

In fact, that's not an uncommon age gap on those NBC Dateline "To Catch a Predator" specials.

They had been dating for almost 7 years. It was time.

SLAG
05-05-2006, 10:45 PM
How does any guy justify liking a 14 year-old? I mean, I feel like a dirty old man when I look at highschool senior girls, and I'm only 22.

I met a girl at a bar who told me she got married at 17. Come to think of it, she said she was from Kansas...

Moooo

The younger the berry the sweeter the Juice,

Anyway you know what they say about kids...

They are all pink on the inside

:p

Halfcan
05-05-2006, 11:36 PM
So I can marry a 15 year old if I get permission from my parents?

Boon
05-05-2006, 11:54 PM
The younger the berry the sweeter the Juice,

Anyway you know what they say about kids...

They are all pink on the inside

:p

If they're old enough to bleed - they're old enough to breed.