PDA

View Full Version : DNS issue... anyone have any suggestions?

jAZ
05-08-2006, 10:38 AM
A while back I registered a domain for a non-profit group I work with. For simplicity's sake, I'll call the domain (mydomain).org.

I've used them for a few years and have about 10-20 domains registered through them, and never had any problems.

One of the guys at the non-profit has setup and hosted a website that we are going to use for this domain. He's created the website and provided me with the DNS entries to use to point this domain name.

ns1.(mydomain).org
ns2.(mydomain).org

Those aren't working for me. Each time I try to update the primary and secondary name server information with the registrar I get the following error:
"An internal error has occurred on the domain (mydomain).org please try your request again later. Fail: 541 - The following nameserver ns1.(mydomain).org does not exist at the registry"

At first I assumed it was a propegation timing thing, but 3 days later, I'm getting the same error.

My current thought is that it seems strange to me for him to provide me with DNS server address that includes the very domain name that I'm trying to setup the DNS settings for. I've proposed this to him, and he's certain that these are the proper DNS addresses to provide me.

But I've never used the domain name the same DNS host before. It's always something like:

ns1.(webhostprovidersDNSdomain).com
ns2.(webhostprovidersDNSdomain).com

It seems like using the domain name as the DNS settings would create a catch 22 that would cause an error like this.

Bob Dole
05-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Have you tried using the IP addresses?

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 10:43 AM
using NS servers on the same domain is not at all uncommon...should work fine.

If you would want to put the real domain name in PM, I can look into it...

jAZ
05-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Have you tried using the IP addresses?
I haven't. I found his webhost (I think) and I looked in their FAQ section and found the hosts DNS servers (ns3/4.secureserver.net) . I entered those in my registrar's settings and the error went away. I'm just not *sure* that these DNS servers will resolve properly after propegation.

If not, I will try to the IP address instead.

I'm suprised that ns1.(mydomain).org would work, but if that's not unusual, then I'm confused as to what the problem would be.

jAZ
05-08-2006, 11:01 AM
using NS servers on the same domain is not at all uncommon...should work fine.

If you would want to put the real domain name in PM, I can look into it...
Thanks, I've sent the PM.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Right now, there's no A records for the domain, so right now NS1.mydomain.org and NS2.mydomain.org aren't valid.

The domain shows ns3.secureserver.net for NS.

By the way, just to show you that having NS reside in the dame domain isn't an issue, the NS server for NS3.secureserver.net is cns1.secureserver.net.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Nevermind, the record must not have propagated yet. I see it now.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Change the NS back and try this:

http://www.dnsreport.com/