05-08-2006, 02:12 PM
This guy never stops.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/05/08/gretz_draft_mailbag/

jidar
05-08-2006, 02:16 PM
I agree with all of his points.

Messier
05-08-2006, 02:18 PM
I don't see whats wrong with what he says.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
ROFL ole Gretzy is gettin a little defensive eh?

Brock
05-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Some idiot wrote in and was flipping out about trading first round picks for Joe Montana and Trent Green.

And I'm supposed to bag on Gretz?

Chiefnj
05-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I hope that Vermeil can crawl away from the bus he keeps getting tossed under being driven by the KC PR machine.

Brock
05-08-2006, 02:24 PM
I hope that Vermeil can crawl away from the bus he keeps getting tossed under being driven by the KC PR machine.

His bus-proof moneysuit probably helps.

chagrin
05-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Karlos Dansby kicks ass on my Madden team

Lzen
05-08-2006, 02:33 PM

Thrown under a bus? What exactly was said about Vermeil that you consider being thrown under a bus?

jspchief
05-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Bets on which of those 3 mailbag idiots GoHuge39 is?

jspchief
05-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Thrown under a bus? What exactly was said about Vermeil that you consider being thrown under a bus?

With Dick Vermeil as head coach, they stumbled in taking first day defensive linemen like Eric Downing, Ryan Sims (as the sixth pick) and Eddie Freeman. Now, do you remember the player Vermeil wanted to take with the first pick of the 2003 Draft, rather than Larry Johnson? That would have been Tyler Brayton out of Colorado. He was drafted by the Raiders and has been something of a bust in Oakland; he started just three of 16 games last year at outside linebacker/defensive end.

That pretty much sounds like he's being thrown under a bus to me.

ChiefsCountry
05-08-2006, 02:44 PM
It was good article from Gretz IMO.

FloridaMan88
05-08-2006, 02:55 PM
My favorite part of the article:

For Augie:

“You remain nothing but a tool for Carl Peterson.

Props to Augie!

58-4ever
05-08-2006, 03:04 PM
My favorite part of the article:

For Augie:

“You remain nothing but a tool for Carl Peterson.

Props to Augie!

I think it's time to remove that Donkey from your sig.

Lzen
05-08-2006, 03:21 PM
With Dick Vermeil as head coach, they stumbled in taking first day defensive linemen like Eric Downing, Ryan Sims (as the sixth pick) and Eddie Freeman. Now, do you remember the player Vermeil wanted to take with the first pick of the 2003 Draft, rather than Larry Johnson? That would have been Tyler Brayton out of Colorado. He was drafted by the Raiders and has been something of a bust in Oakland; he started just three of 16 games last year at outside linebacker/defensive end.

Only if you don't believe any of that is true.

tk13
05-08-2006, 03:23 PM
They've definitely all thrown Vermeil under the bus and blamed everything that's gone wrong the last five years on him. Not that he doesn't deserve blame, he is the head coach, he made mistakes, but it's almost like they act like everybody else did their job perfect and Vermeil was the only big problem. Look at Gretz right there, saying Peterson's not really to blame for anybody we draft, except when we draft Larry Johnson, then all hail Carl. Then we have Gunther saying he's got defensive coaches now, etc, etc. This offseason has basically been about kicking the old man under the bus and sending all the blame with him out the door.

Freaking shame too, Dick Vermeil has accomplished so much more in the game of football than anybody else in this organization. Dick Vermeil is the reason Carl Peterson even was able to get into the NFL to begin with. Meanwhile Vermeil's been going around the interview circuit with nothing but nice things to say about all the people here. Some things just aren't right.

jspchief
Only if you don't believe any of that is true.True or not, it's still throwing him under the bus.

htismaqe

Too bad every bit of it is TRUE.

tk13
05-08-2006, 03:26 PM
There is kind of a ironic twist to that. Because everybody wants to dump Hicks and Vermeil is the guy who everyone blames for wanting to keep Hicks. Yet apparently we were interested in Jerome MacDougle... interested in Tyler Brayton, wanted us to sign Grant Wistrom. Vermeil kept trying to replace him but never could.

tk13
05-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Too bad every bit of it is TRUE.
Yeah but just because somebody is a bust with one team, especially the Raiders under Callahan, doesn't mean he wouldn't have had more success if he was brought into a better situation.

ChiefsCountry
05-08-2006, 03:29 PM
I bet if your boss asked you guys to write for your company's website I bet all of you would try to tick him off and calling him a loser and going against him.

Bowser
05-08-2006, 03:37 PM
It's funny really. We start by having quarterbacks that couldn't get anything right, and when we get a qb that gets it right, we suddenly have a coach that can't get it right.

Seems like Chiefs fans are predestined to bitch. Vermeil did much for this team while he was here. It's too bad Mazlowski went down for the count in'03. Who knows what would have happened if he had stayed healthy.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 03:53 PM
It's funny really. We start by having quarterbacks that couldn't get anything right, and when we get a qb that gets it right, we suddenly have a coach that can't get it right.

Seems like Chiefs fans are predestined to bitch. Vermeil did much for this team while he was here. It's too bad Mazlowski went down for the count in'03. Who knows what would have happened if he had stayed healthy.

Nothing different would have happened. Our rush defense was giving up well over 5 yards per carry WITH Maz...

tk13
05-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Nothing different would have happened. Our rush defense was giving up well over 5 yards per carry WITH Maz...
But we WON. :)

GoHuge
05-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Bets on which of those 3 mailbag idiots GoHuge39 is?
I think Gretz makes alot of excellent points in his piece. My post was in regards to him placing little if any blame on Carl Peterson. He says " The draft day decisions made by the Chiefs are built on the thoughts of many people in the process, the biggest being the head coach." Then he goes in to a long list of Vermiel flops but then shows where Carl vetos Vermiel by drafting Larry Johnson. My point is, where was the President, CEO, and General Manager on all the other bad picks? Peterson picked Johnson but left the rest up to Vermeil? Sorry dude, not a guy with that much ego.

Clint in Wichita
05-08-2006, 04:12 PM

He really didn't do squat.

He finished very close to .500. The offense exploded; the defense became the worst I've ever seen in the NFL. They cancel each other out at best.

At least he cried all the time.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 06:23 PM
But we WON. :)

Because Jerome Woods could score from the NCB position. As soon as Bartee came back, our fate was sealed...