PDA

View Full Version : Turley to work out

Archie Bunker
05-09-2006, 07:48 AM
http://ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php

-- Turley to Work Out for Chiefs --
Tue May 9, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Miami Herald reports TE Kyle Turley, who took part in the Dolphins' minicamp last weekend, is expected to work out for the Kansas City Chiefs next week, according to his agent, Tom Condon.

jspchief
05-09-2006, 07:49 AM
He's lost so much weight he's wanting to play as a TE. We already have a TE that can block like hell, so I'm not sure what the point is.

Coach
Hmm... either my eyes are blurred, or this newspaper is wrong, that Turley is a TE. Thought he was a Guard or a Tackle.

Clint in Wichita
TE? He quits 'roids and shrinks from a OT to a TE?

No thanks.

nychief
05-09-2006, 07:51 AM
he hurt his back, can't play left tackle anymore, now trying TE.... I think this is home town favor for Condon.

Iowanian
Is that a misprint or has he really lost that much weight without the juice?

If nothing else...he's worth a look. A bookend/backup for Dunn isn't a bad line of thinking. WIth Dunn's knees and age, they need to be thinking about a run blocking monster

Demonpenz
He couldn't really maintain that bulk with his back all messed up so now he is trying to play TE

Demonpenz
05-09-2006, 07:52 AM
I don't think it was the roids its the fact that he probably can't do the large weights he could before with the squat and the power clean.

jspchief
05-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Hmm... either my eyes are blurred, or this newspaper is wrong, that Turley is a TE. Thought he was a Guard or a Tackle.His time off spent rehabbing has caused him to lose a ton of weight.

He was on Jime Rome a month back or so and said he'd have to be a blocking TE at his current weight, and probably won't want to bulk up anymore.

He's also a f*cking headcase. He seriously reminds me Jose Canseco when talking about how the league is jerking with him. I used to like the guy in NO, but I think he'd be nothing but a pain in the ass that's trying to earn his last few bucks in a career that he's no longer suited for.

StcChief
05-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Turley was a Tackle in NO and STL.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4273

Not sure his value to Chiefs or anyone now. Experience depth but can he play?

Coach
05-09-2006, 07:55 AM
His time off spent rehabbing has caused him to lose a ton of weight.

He was on Jime Rome a month back or so and said he'd have to be a blocking TE at his current weight, and probably won't want to bulk up anymore.

He's also a f*cking headcase. He seriously reminds me Jose Canseco when talking about how the league is jerking with him. I used to like the guy in NO, but I think he'd be nothing but a pain in the ass that's trying to earn his last few bucks in a career that he's no longer suited for.

That's right. He was injured, and I wondered whatever happened to him. I'm assuming that it was a bulging disc that he suffered?

I'll agree to the f*cking headcase. I, too, thought that he was good, but then he just lost it. I still remember that Jets/NO incident where he literally ripped a D-lineman's helmet off and flung it.

chagrin
05-09-2006, 08:09 AM
That's a shame, he was a very good tackle for about 4 years or so; how did he hurt his back, I mean other than playing in the NFL - was it a specific play where he injured himself?

chagrin
05-09-2006, 08:10 AM
That's right. He was injured, and I wondered whatever happened to him. I'm assuming that it was a bulging disc that he suffered?

I'll agree to the f*cking headcase. I, too, thought that he was good, but then he just lost it. I still remember that Jets/NO incident where he literally ripped a D-lineman's helmet off and flung it.

He did that because Donnie Henderson (I think it was he who did this) pulled Aaron Brooks head backwards and sideways and almost broke his neck doing it; Kyle took up for his QB. Many don't agree, but I did.

jspchief
05-09-2006, 08:11 AM
He did that because Donnie Henderson (I think it was he who did this) pulled Aaron Brooks head backwards and sideways and almost broke his neck doing it; Kyle took up for his QB. Many don't agree, but I did.I loved that play. That was what made me want Kyle Turley to play for my team.

Chiefnj
05-09-2006, 08:24 AM
I thought Kyle was the ONLY player who responded appropriately on that play. The entire OL should have jumped the guy.

chagrin
05-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Amen, I was pumped up watching that; another classic night game!

htismaqe
05-09-2006, 08:42 AM
If Turley is healthy, he represents the opportunity to get that something we have with Jason Dunn.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all...

Chiefnj
05-09-2006, 08:45 AM
If Turley is healthy, he represents the opportunity to get that something we have with Jason Dunn.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all...

I can see putting Dunn at FB and Turley at TE in goal line situations, but I don't think KC has the room on its depth chart for a specialty player like that.

htismaqe
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
I can see putting Dunn at FB and Turley at TE in goal line situations, but I don't think KC has the room on its depth chart for a specialty player like that.

That's true. It just gives us an option is something happens to Dunn...he hasn't exactly been the healthiest. Of course, neither has Turley.

Rain Man
05-09-2006, 08:56 AM
He did that because Donnie Henderson (I think it was he who did this) pulled Aaron Brooks head backwards and sideways and almost broke his neck doing it; Kyle took up for his QB. Many don't agree, but I did.

For some reason I was thinking it was Damian Robinson, the guy who later got caught with a gun in his car as he tried to enter the stadium.

I agree that Turley did the right thing. Whoever that Jets DB was, he was committing a felony against Brooks and it was right for Turley to intervene and go all caveman on him.

chagrin
05-09-2006, 09:02 AM
For some reason I was thinking it was Damian Robinson, the guy who later got caught with a gun in his car as he tried to enter the stadium.

I agree that Turley did the right thing. Whoever that Jets DB was, he was committing a felony against Brooks and it was right for Turley to intervene and go all caveman on him.

Yeah, that's right, it was Damien Robinson - he came over to NY from the Bucaneers. Thanks for clarifying.

Chiefnj
05-09-2006, 09:08 AM
That's true. It just gives us an option is something happens to Dunn...he hasn't exactly been the healthiest. Of course, neither has Turley.

At least Dunn is mentally healthy. Kyle has some issues. Too bad he doesn't want to add weight, he'd be an improvement at DT with just his anger issues alone.

Rain Man
05-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Great article about the Turley incident.

I remember seeing it, and thinking that Turley should have received a medal from the team. The refs should've just let him go one on one with that thug Robinson. And Brooks should have paid his fine for him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/1105/1274080.html

Saints fine Turley $25,000 for outburst

NEW ORLEANS -- It wasn't as bad as it could have been -- New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett originally thought about cutting tackle Kyle Turley or at least suspending him. But it was no slap on the wrist either.

Turley was fined $25,000 for conduct detrimental to the team during Sunday's game against the New York Jets.

Turley has also agreed to undergo counseling at the team's request.

Turley attacked Jets safety Damien Robinson when Robinson grabbed the face mask of Saints quarterback Aaron Brooks and twisted it. Turley ripped Robinson's helmet off and threw it downfield, then made an obscene gesture. His actions got him tossed out of the game. They also drew a 15-yard penalty that ended the Saints' final chance to tie or win the game. The Saints lost 16-9.

"The Saints do not condone such actions," general manager Randy Mueller said Tuesday. "We believe that the amount of the fine is appropriate for the severity of Kyle's conduct on the field. We understand that Kyle is a very emotional player, but it is clear that the type of actions he demonstrated last Sunday will not be tolerated."

Mueller said that Turley will not be suspended by the Saints and is expected to play Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers.

"`Unfortunately Kyle's actions cost us a chance to possibly win a game," Mueller said. "I would hope that the lesson learned here will bring our team together."

Turley also faces disciplinary action from the NFL.

Turley was composed, but not contrite, when he spoke to the media Monday.

"It was a very emotional outburst on my part that I need to be a little more mature about," Turley said. "But I cannot apologize for defending my quarterback and trying to, basically, from my point of view, save his life. The guy was seriously trying to break his neck."

Trailing 16-9, the Saints marched to the Jets' 6-yard line in the final minute of the game. On second-and-3, Brooks ran to the 5-yard line only to be stopped by Robinson, who grabbed Brooks' face mask.

"I figured I had him bent back when I heard Brooks scream," Robinson said. "Then I let him go." [Rain man note: Liar.]

Turley had a different take on the situation.

"I came up on the play and the guy started twisting Aaron's head back and he started screaming," Turley said. "I've never been placed in a situation like that before where I see my quarterback getting his head turned around like the exorcist."

Turley, who turned 26 in September, jumped into the pile, grabbing Robinson and eventually his helmet. He emerged without his own helmet, but still clutching Robinson's, which he flung downfield before making an obscene gesture. By that time the field was littered with players, officials and yellow flags.

"I felt like Turley was trying to break my neck," Robinson said. [Rain Man note: eye for an eye, you idiot.]

"They pulled my hair, the bunch of girls," Turley responded. "I got turf burn on my head. I've never had turf burn on my head. They were trying to get me when I was down."

There were offsetting penalties for personal fouls, but Turley, who was thrown out of the game, drew a second 15-yard penalty for throwing the helmet and making the obscene gesture. That put New Orleans on the 20-yard line and ended the scoring threat.

"Driving home (Sunday) night I was thinking about cutting him," Haslett said. "Last night, laying in bed, I thought about suspending him. I didn't see the whole incident on the field. Then I saw it on TV where Damien Robinson was trying to pull Aaron's head off. Then I talked to Aaron about it and Aaron said he thought he broke his neck. So I can understand why Kyle did it to that point."

The problem, Haslett said, is that Turley should have dragged Robinson off Brooks and stopped there. Throwing the helmet and making the gesture took it too far.

Turley called him a few minutes before 1 a.m. to apologize and explain what happened, Haslett said. He and Mueller spoke with Turley several times Monday.

When Haslett played in the 1970s and 80s, players were more rambunctious and emotions ruled the game to a greater extent, Haslett said.

"That's not in the game anymore," Haslett said. "You either conform to the rules, and have an understanding of what's going on out there, or get a new job. He needs to control his anger. He thought he was protecting the quarterback, but he went too far and it hurts the football team."

Haslett said Monday he believed the league should also reprimand Robinson.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue was at the game, the first prime-time outing for the Saints since 1999.

"Kyle Turley, like most NFL players, doesn't give up until the fat lady has sung," said Tagliabue. "He's in there to win. He's an outstanding player that doesn't give up. But he's a little too exuberant."

htismaqe
05-09-2006, 09:21 AM
It was Damien Robinson. IIRC, he had some disciplinary issues in college as well...he was a Hawkeye...

Fish
05-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I love the guy's spirit, but it would scare me a little....

ct
05-09-2006, 10:04 AM
He had surgery on his back a couple seasons ago, after repeated problems with a disc issue. While rehabbing, I recall he stated he would like to come back, but realized he could not take the pounding of OT anymore. He had ideas to try as DE or TE, even think somebody gave him a tryout as DE, and saw that he couldn't take the pounding there either.

I can see the potential upside. A fiery guy, former OT, converted to blocking TE. However, the injury risk is too much for me. I would pass.

Cormac
05-09-2006, 11:17 AM
I think it would be great to just bring him in to work out. Maybe Krumrie would use him to do blocking drills against Sims and Siavii, and kick some ass while he's at it.

NJ Chief Fan
05-09-2006, 02:50 PM
didnt he try coming back last season as a de?

tk13
05-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Keep doubting Ronnie Cruz.

Spicy McHaggis
05-09-2006, 03:02 PM
didnt he try coming back last season as a de?

Don't know if it was last season, but it when he was with the Rams I believe.

Thig Lyfe
05-09-2006, 03:40 PM

Besides, we already have one.

KRIS WILSON

nychief
05-09-2006, 05:42 PM
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nfl/kyle-turley-is-not-getting-the-hint-172058.php