PDA

View Full Version : If you could change one thing in any given sport what would it be?

BIG_DADDY
05-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Other than officiating which we all could go off about. This should be a good start:

NFL – I would limit the amount of teams there can be in the NFL to what there is now. The quality of this sport more than any other will really begin to decline due to the dilution of talent IMO. That being said I wouldn’t mind seeing both O’s in the game touch the ball in OT as well.

College Football – One word, Playoffs.

MLB – Hard Salary Cap.

College Baseball – No Aluminum bats. Have the same standard as MLB.

NBA – I would go to a hard cap as well here even though it isn’t as big of a problem in this game.

NHL- No more shootouts.

MMA –
UFC – Have the same rules as Pride
Pride – Have a cage similar to the UFC. The ropes are just ridiculous.

Motocross/Supercross – Have an open class.

Katipan
05-09-2006, 10:01 AM
When I saw the title, my reponse was going to be NFL overtime rules.

ummmmm

I think curling should be done naked.

DJJasonp
05-09-2006, 10:02 AM
For soccer fans.....

I would get rid of the "injury time" at the end of matches....it's ridiculous that the only person in the stadium that knows the real end time is the referee....way too much power.

Any time there's an injury stoppage...clock stops.
Any time ball goes out of bounds...clock stops.

Simple as that....when the clock reaches the 90th minute....end of game.

Rain Man
05-09-2006, 10:03 AM
I hate to waste my football vote on something obvious, but I would reverse the stupid rules now that hamstring defensive backs. The league has shifted way too far in favor of offenses.

Fish
05-09-2006, 10:08 AM
I'd make the NBA exciting....... somehow......

I don't know like have a nude midget rollerderby deathmatch in an electrified barbwire enclosure circling the court at all times..... maybe with farm animals and cotton candy? Ohh and grenades?

Maybe that would make the NBA watchable?? Maybe?

Sully
05-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Intentional grounding would be intentional grounding, no matter where on the field it was.

I like the Soccer clock idea.

Salary Caps in ALL sports, although I don't hate the soft salary cap idea in the NBA if it helps teams keep their own players.

jspchief
05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
For soccer fans.....

I would get rid of the "injury time" at the end of matches....it's ridiculous that the only person in the stadium that knows the real end time is the referee....way too much power.

Any time there's an injury stoppage...clock stops.
Any time ball goes out of bounds...clock stops.

Simple as that....when the clock reaches the 90th minute....end of game.I'm not really a soccer fan, but I agree that rule is absurd.

Hammock Parties
Get rid of goalies in soccer and hockey.

ct
NFL - rookie salary slotting
CFB - playoffs!!
MLB - salary cap
NBA - lock out, permanently :)
NHL - :shrug:
FIFA - totally agree on the injury time, it's a disgrace!
College Basketball - move back the 3-pt line
College Baseball - lay the wood baby! Definitely agree!

Mr. Krab
05-09-2006, 10:16 AM
women's gymnastics - nude.

Brock
05-09-2006, 10:17 AM

pedo

BIG_DADDY
05-09-2006, 10:18 AM
NHL - :shrug:
!

That's what I forgot, no more shootouts. Play till someone wins and eventually go to a tie if nobody scores. I have to add that to my list.

BIG_DADDY
05-09-2006, 10:19 AM

NICE!!!

picasso
05-09-2006, 10:24 AM
I'd make the NBA exciting....... somehow......

I don't know like have a nude midget rollerderby deathmatch in an electrified barbwire enclosure circling the court at all times..... maybe with farm animals and cotton candy? Ohh and grenades?

Maybe that would make the NBA watchable?? Maybe?

The NBA is watchable, you must not watch it enough.
The sport that isn't watchable is frickin Baseball.

MLB - Change some damn rules and evolve like the other sports out there. Such as allow any bat, any ball, put the players in small shoulder pads and add tackling before the runner gets to the base, put a cage around the runners head so that the guy in the field can throw the ball at your ass to get you out.
Something!!
It's as boring as womens golf or gardening shows on PBS!
Plus it takes up all the time of the ESPN sports ticker!

RockChalk
05-09-2006, 10:24 AM
MLB - strike zone consistency...I know this is subjective to the umps idea of the zone, but come up with a legitimate zone that ALL umpires have to abide by. grade their calls based on this zone and fire the ones that believe they are above the game. too many pitchers and batters get hosed on calls because the ump wants a hand in the outcome of the game.

NBA - this game cannot be made better. When Jordan left the Bulls it went down hill quickly. It's all one on one. Unless a rule could be made to enforce team play, then it will always be second to college bball.

NHL - the offsides rule is BS. get rid of it. if a player wants to take a change and try to cheat a bit on the offensive side, then let him. by getting ahead of the play, he is only hurting his team if there is a turnover.

NFL - not much to change. as mentioned above, overtime rules and defensive back rules should be changed.

ChiefsFanatic
05-09-2006, 10:25 AM
NBA: zone defenses would be allowed [then maybe I wouldn't have to watch 6 guys stand on the far side of the court while 4 guys play the damn pick-n-roll crap]

NFL: no restrictions on the number of players on the LOS

MLB: salary cap + true revenue sharing

NHL: 4 on 4 with no goalies [maybe a smaller rink]

MLS: who cares

College Football: easy, playoff system [and the polls would not be released until after three full weeks into the season]

College Basketball: Dick Vitale would no longer be able to deliver Player of the Year awards just by running his mouth. [T.J. Ford? WTF]

Chiefnj
05-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Baseball - runners get to carry the bat with them and are free to knock the ball out of the fielder's gloves with it.

Basketball - the court would have boards around it like in the NHL.

NHL - Allow teams to go over the glass and engage fans who think they are tough by slapping and pounding the glass when players are against it.

NFL - If a QB passes the LOS he is treated like a HB.

Rain Man
05-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Major League Soccer - Players can use their hands, and can pick up the ball and carry it. If another player pushes them down, then they have to get up and start over. If a team can't advance the ball a given distance in four tries, the other team gets the ball. Also, instead of a goal, just put a line on the ends of the field, and to score a player has to accompany the ball over the line. Oh, and no more kicking.

Donger
05-09-2006, 10:29 AM
I'd introduce random midget versus dwarf fights at all of the above venues.

Stinger
05-09-2006, 10:30 AM
On the soccer issue I understand the injury stoppage, but on the outbounds I have to disagree, the game would go on for ever. It is already 45 minute halves and if you stop the clock everytime it goes over the touch line you are looking a long, long, long game.

Golf - Manditory golf ball specs for players. Quit meddling with the courses :cuss:. If you want to bring everyone to even playing field make everyone play the same ball specification.

Football - You can actually tackle a qb ( take off alot of the restrictions).

Baseball - Torn between a salary cap and spending minimum.

NCCAA Baseball - No alum bats.

NCCAA Basketball - 128 teams in the NCCAA tourney. It would only take an extra weekend and no more of this they got snubbed by the committee or what a joke that __________ got invited.

NCCAA Football - Playoff system for championship.

Hammock Parties
05-09-2006, 10:32 AM
The NBA is watchable, you must not watch it enough.
The sport that isn't watchable is frickin Baseball.

That's interesting. I haven't watched a single basketball game from start to finish this year. I've watched almost every inning of every Rangers game.

This country has ADD.

Kclee
05-09-2006, 10:33 AM
NBA- raise the rims to 12 feet. That way a game might actually break out during the nightly dunk fests.

rad
05-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Major League Soccer - Players can use their hands, and can pick up the ball and carry it. If another player pushes them down, then they have to get up and start over. If a team can't advance the ball a given distance in four tries, the other team gets the ball. Also, instead of a goal, just put a line on the ends of the field, and to score a player has to accompany the ball over the line. Oh, and no more kicking.

And no forward passes.

Lets just steal soccer and make it how football used to be.

Good idea, Rainman.:thumb:

RockChalk
05-09-2006, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=ChiefsFanatic]NBA: zone defenses would be allowed [then maybe I wouldn't have to watch 6 guys stand on the far side of the court while 4 guys play the damn pick-n-roll crap]

QUOTE]

I thought you could play a zone in the NBA now???

Rain Man
05-09-2006, 10:36 AM
NBA- raise the rims to 12 feet. That way a game might actually break out during the nightly dunk fests.

Yep. Great suggestion. And then a dunk would be way cool, too.

Skip Towne
05-09-2006, 10:40 AM

ummmmm

I think curling should be done naked.
Curling shouldn't be done at all.

fan4ever
05-09-2006, 10:42 AM

Plus oiled up.

broncoholic
05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Boxing- Go to an open scoring format like the Olympics. It's the only sport that the competitors don't know if they are winning or losing.

fan4ever
05-09-2006, 10:45 AM
The flopping in Basketball; give the refs an opportunity to t-up a flopper for unsportsman like conduct. Basketball games should be decided by the best players, not the best actors.

rad
05-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Boxing- Go to an open scoring format like the Olympics. It's the only sport that the competitors don't know if they are winning or losing.

Don't you know? Boxing is fixed.

Rain Man
05-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Plus oiled up.

It would certainly make the balance beam more entertaining.

ChiefsFanatic
05-09-2006, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=ChiefsFanatic]NBA: zone defenses would be allowed [then maybe I wouldn't have to watch 6 guys stand on the far side of the court while 4 guys play the damn pick-n-roll crap]

QUOTE]

I thought you could play a zone in the NBA now???

You can't play an all out zone, I just think they took the illegal defense technical away. Just imagine a match-up zone, then players would have to pass the ball around.

BIG_DADDY

Boxing is slowly dying. MMA is the future and growing BIG TIME. This is a good thing.

Rain Man
Don't you know? Boxing is fixed.

Oh. Yeah. My change for boxing would be to make it a real sport again.

redngold85
I'd have to go with NFL overtime rules - both teams should at least have a chance with the ball (I know...it's a common complaint, but a big one)

and I don't really have anything else about any other sport...besides make them more exciting...

but I think I could deal with the whole nude, oiled-up women's gymnastics thing :drool:

Clint in Wichita
05-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I would add an NCAA-type overtime to the NFL.

BIG_DADDY
05-09-2006, 10:49 AM
The flopping in Basketball; give the refs an opportunity to t-up a flopper for unsportsman like conduct. Basketball games should be decided by the best players, not the best actors.

I hate flopping too. Nobody did it like Vladeflop.

Raiderhater
05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Soccer - do away with it

ChiefsFanatic
05-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I would add an NCAA-type overtime to the NFL.

Having both teams get a chance would be nice, but I would not put them on any yard line and only give them a set number of downs. I would let each team kick-off to the other, and then the teams would get at least one drive.

But after the first drive by each team, it would revert to sudden death.

redngold85
05-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Having both teams get a chance would be nice, but I would not put them on any yard line and only give them a set number of downs. I would let each team kick-off to the other, and then the teams would get at least one drive.

I LIKE IT

:clap:

BIG_DADDY
05-09-2006, 10:55 AM

Perfect!!! :thumb:

Psyko Tek
05-09-2006, 10:56 AM
for baseball, basketball and hockey...

the season is to damn long make games matter

NFL let the Defensive Backs play

nude oiled up gymnastics.... Nudie Bar

chiefqueen
05-09-2006, 10:56 AM
College FB - let the clock run after 1st downs; also restart the game clock after the player goes out of bounds. Let's get these College FB games (marathons) down under 4 hours.

rad
05-09-2006, 10:57 AM
I think it would be cool if field goals were worth different points depending on distance(kinda like in FF). Like 20 or less 2 pts, 21-40 3 pts and 41 and up 4 pts- something like that.

Skip Towne
05-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Soccer - do away with it
Exactly right. Soccer pisses me off just thinking about it.

Cormac
05-09-2006, 10:59 AM
NFL
Drastically reduce the salaries of players, especially draftees. Then, also reduce the PRICE OF TICKETS AND SUNDAY TICKET and everything else that we as fans have to pay for to finance the sport.

NCAA Basketball
Start calling TRAVELLING and DOUBLE DRIBBLES. The lack of calls is killing the game. It'll be the NBA soon.

NCAA Football
Restrict college teams to 10 regular season games, and 1 "pre-season" game. Institute a playoff system with the top 8 teams.

NBA
Just abolish it.

broncoholic
05-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I think it would be cool if field goals were worth different points depending on distance(kinda like in FF). Like 20 or less 2 pts, 21-40 3 pts and 41 and up 4 pts- something like that.

...and teams should get bonus points for their QB getting 300+yds passing...that would be cool!

BigMeatballDave
05-09-2006, 11:00 AM
College BB - That retarded-ass possession arrow. Uh, Hello?! Jumpball?!
College FB - Playoffs! 2 feet in/down for a catch.
MLB - Yankees and White Sox dissolved.

BigMeatballDave
05-09-2006, 11:02 AM
...and teams should get bonus points for their QB getting 300+yds passing...that would be cool!Too bad Denver wouldn't see those points...
:)

Rain Man
05-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Soccer - do away with it

Did you even read my suggestion? Soccer can easily be changed for the better.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 11:03 AM

ummmmm

I think curling should be done naked.Just make sure that you aren't on your period and duche first.

StcChief
05-09-2006, 11:04 AM
NFL - no sudden death OT. Play the quarter. at the end no score/same score- Tie. Stop worring about the next game starting on TV. They breakaway to other regional or National games now. DirectTV Sunday ticket, NFL network will keep the game on....

CB rules need to go back. QB across LOS. Tackle allowed.

Better use of technology for close plays. The Bailey fumble perfect example....of need.

NBA - raise the rim to 12 ft.
Or add another basket at 15 ft for 4pt or 6pt play(beyond arc).
This was an MTV rock / jocks game approach...

MLB - Salary cap,
Enforce a consistent strike zone. Use technology to frame the 3D strike zone on plate per batter. Use beep tone in a headset for strikes to ump.

Hockey - Fights get players ejected. Time to join the rest of the Professonal sports. or remain a 2nd tier sport.

Soccer - who cares, like watching paint dry.
Only hope make it more like Rugby.

Golf - [george carlin]Put courses in cemetaries for challenging play, conserve land...[/george carlin]

Rain Man
05-09-2006, 11:05 AM
I liked George Carlin's idea for basketball, where a basket is worth ten points if you can ricochet it off an opponent's head.

DJJasonp
05-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Exactly right. Soccer pisses me off just thinking about it.

I know I'll get killed for this....

I used to think the same way you do about soccer....I grew up with the big 3 (baseball, basketball, football)....but once I started playing soccer and watching it played on the highest level (National teams, premiere league), it's quite entertaining.......

If you've never been, I suggest going sometime...the level of athleticism of soccer players (not to mention conditioning) is incredible.

Now, yes...there are things I hate it about it...such as the clock issue...and there are flopping the likes that Vlade Divac would be jealous of....but the game is pretty exciting once you give it a chance.

On a separate note....one other thing that drives me crazy...

Get rid of the stupid rule in College Football that states you're down if you're knee touches the ground (even if you're not touched by a defensive player)....ridiculous

Raiderhater
05-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Did you even read my suggestion? Soccer can easily be changed for the better.

I'd rather do away with it and just create a whole new game from scratch.

BIG_DADDY
05-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Hockey - Fights get players ejected. Time to join the rest of the Professonal sports. or remain a 2nd tier sport.

WHAT? No way. We could use some more of those bench clearing brawls we used to see in football too. Chiefs/Raiders had some good ones. Good ol Otis Taylor.

MOhillbilly
05-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Id unleash the D. put the tackles back on the line of scrimage,bring back the flinch and headslap, retract the 5 yard dback rule retract the oline can hold inside the LOS. get rid of fieldgoals and the kick afters.

Kclee
05-09-2006, 11:22 AM
but once I started playing soccer and watching it played

You're dead to me. Now I know what the 'p' stands for in your name.

MOhillbilly
05-09-2006, 11:24 AM
id also put a ixnay on new franchises in the NFL for the next 15-20 years.

Cormac
05-09-2006, 11:25 AM

I used to think the same way you do about soccer....I grew up with the big 3 (baseball, basketball, football)....but once I started playing soccer and watching it played on the highest level (National teams, premiere league), it's quite entertaining.......

If you've never been, I suggest going sometime...the level of athleticism of soccer players (not to mention conditioning) is incredible.

Now, yes...there are things I hate it about it...such as the clock issue...and there are flopping the likes that Vlade Divac would be jealous of....but the game is pretty exciting once you give it a chance.

Get rid of the stupid rule in College Football that states you're down if you're knee touches the ground (even if you're not touched by a defensive player)....ridiculous

Well said. It's always amusing when somebody likes a 1-0 MLB or NHL game that takes at least 3 hrs, and goes ballistic on 1-0 soccer games that take half as long. Also, the vast majority of those people have never even played soccer. It's always hard to appreciate a game you don't understand.

Having said that, I'd be all for increasing the goal size in soccer. Maybe 1 foot taller and 2 feet wider, or something like that. 4 goals per game average would be great, instead of 1.5 ish.

Raiderhater
05-09-2006, 11:25 AM
WHAT? No way. We could use some more of those bench clearing brawls we used to see in football too. Chiefs/Raiders had some good ones. Good ol Otis Taylor.

Nothing like a good fight between two teams that hate each other's guts to further cement a beautiful rivalry.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 11:32 AM
NBA - raise the rim to 12 ft.
Or add another basket at 15 ft for 4pt or 6pt play(beyond arc).
This was an MTV rock / jocks game approach...

No, what they should do in the NBA, in order to keep it from being racist and incensitive, is institute an agressive affirmative action policy.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Id unleash the D. put the tackles back on the line of scrimage,bring back the flinch and headslap, retract the 5 yard dback rule retract the oline can hold inside the LOS. get rid of fieldgoals and the kick afters.Just make a drop kick worth 6 points, same as a touchdown, just outlaw a placeholder and cream the shit if he tries to kick it.

Of course, if you recover it, it is your ball. So none of chicken coaches would ever dare that.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
I'd rather do away with it and just create a whole new game from scratch.I am all for rollerball, no substitutions and no time limit.

Skip Towne
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM

:thailor: That's thwell.

FAX
05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
After much consideration, I submit this concept for the game of professional football.

When and if the quarterback points across the line of scrimmage, moves after taking a static position at center or in the shotgun formation, waves his arms wildly, twists, whirls, bends, turns, spins, rotates, and/or shakes his body in an odd or strange way as interpreted by the referee, the opposing team’s captains have the option to take the player at the 50 yard line, remove the player's pants and spank his a$$ soundly for a period of ten minutes.

FAX

Rain Man
05-09-2006, 11:47 AM
I'd prefer that they didn't remove his pants.

Amnorix
05-09-2006, 11:48 AM
NFL:

Cameras positioned on BOTH sides of the goal line, amining DOWN the goal line (i.e. perfect goal line angle) to help reviews.

Cameras position in each pylon, wide angle, aimed up and towards the back of the end zone (perfect sideline in the goal zone angle).

Reverse recent rules interpretations re: defensive backs.

Other sports: WTF cares?

FAX
05-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I'd prefer that they didn't remove his pants.

Yeah.

That part probably needs some work.

FAX

MOhillbilly
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM
NFL:

Cameras positioned on BOTH sides of the goal line, amining DOWN the goal line (i.e. perfect goal line angle) to help reviews.

Cameras position in each pylon, wide angle, aimed up and towards the back of the end zone (perfect sideline in the goal zone angle).

Other sports: WTF cares?

Id go for that and add equal cameras for everygame small market or large.
If theyre going to have replay it should be even for all teams involved.

Demonpenz
05-09-2006, 12:00 PM
yeahhhhhh nba is second to ncaa. I need some of what you are smoking.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 12:09 PM
NFL:

Other sports: WTF cares?Why go to all that trouble so that old men with failing vision go underneath a black robed booth to look at(probably nudy pics) the replay??

How bout an RFID tags in the football? When the football crosses the plane, the computer will know it.

Tie the logitech wireless whistle from the ref into the computer. If the whistle initiates before the tag breaks the plane, the ball is spotted and no score, simple as that.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 12:11 PM
After much consideration, I submit this concept for the game of professional football.

When and if the quarterback points across the line of scrimmage, moves after taking a static position at center or in the shotgun formation, waves his arms wildly, twists, whirls, bends, turns, spins, rotates, and/or shakes his body in an odd or strange way as interpreted by the referee, the opposing team’s captains have the option to take the player at the 50 yard line, remove the player's pants and spank his a$$ soundly for a period of ten minutes.

FAXI would prefer that they let the MLB go up to center and reach across the line and go throgh similar gyrations. i.e. bitch slap him in the head when he do that.

Amnorix
05-09-2006, 12:13 PM

NOT SAFE FOR WORK:

http://www.break.com/index/tuneven.html

http://www.break.com/index/tfloor.html

http://www.break.com/index/toplessgym.html

PunkinDrublic
05-09-2006, 12:16 PM
MLB- Ban steroids except for anybody playing for the Royals.

Golf- Stop televising it except for the golf channel or PPV. Stop calling golfers athletes

RockChalk
05-09-2006, 12:19 PM
I hate flopping too. Nobody did it like Vladeflop.

http://lakersbrethren.homestead.com/files/VladeFlopShaw.jpg

fan4ever
05-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Loss of your first round draft pick for violating the salary cap. The penalty assessed to the Donks for their two year violation was ridiculous...something like $100,000 for each year.

DJJasonp
05-09-2006, 12:32 PM
You're dead to me. Now I know what the 'p' stands for in your name.

I guess I deserved that - it's what I get for defending soccer.

Soccer....you're on your own, pal.

DJJasonp
05-09-2006, 12:36 PM
One last rule change before I hop on a plane to come back to KC to visit for a few days (are the wizards in town??? -- JUST KIDDING!)

I hear the rules committee for NCAA basketball is considering eliminating the ability for players to call timeouts while in the air, out of bounds, etc....

I hope they do....that's idiotic....you should have possession....being in mid-air hovering out of bounds does not constitute possession.

big nasty kcnut
05-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Nfl 3 words end zone celebration keep them.
nba allow zone defense
hockey get rid of the offside
Collage Football playoffs
UFC diff. weight classes fight each other

DanT
05-09-2006, 12:43 PM
The NFL's sudden death overtime gave a decided advantage to the receiving team when they moved the kickoff back to the 30-yard line in 1994 (see, for example, the discussion in http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_11_08_04.html).

They shouldn't use the 30-yard-line kickoff-placement rule in OT. Going back to the 35-yard line for OT would be one way to minimize the advantage that the team receiving the initial kickoff would receive. A more novel approach would be to implement an auction, as described in this excerpt from Michael David Smith's Football Outsiders column from 24 November 2003:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/print/87/

But the NFL could easily fix its overtime, without giving up the sudden-death format.

Why is the team receiving the kickoff in sudden-death overtime at an advantage? Because the NFL kicks off from the 30-yard line. If the league moved overtime kickoffs to the 35-yard line (where all kickoffs were placed only a decade ago), the advantage to the receiving team would be less. If it moved kickoffs to the 50-yard line, many teams (even those not coached by Marty Mornhinweg) would choose to kick, and if we moved the kickoff to the opponent’s 30-yard line (obviously a ridiculous proposition), every team would not only choose to kick, but every overtime would start with an onside kick.

Why would teams choose to kick if the kickoff were at the 50-yard line? It’s the golden rule of football strategy, often repeated at this website: field position is fluid. A team kicking off from the 50 would be able to have its kicker hang one high and short, like a coffin-corner punt. From the 50, teams would generally be able to pin their opponents inside the 20-yard line, and inside the 20, as Football Outsiders has previously shown, the team on defense is actually more likely to score next than the team on offense.

So there is a point, probably somewhere between the 30-yard line and the 50-yard line, at which the advantage in sudden-death overtime would actually switch from the receiving team to the kicking team. Where is that point? It doesn’t really matter. We could simply let the teams decide for themselves.

In my improved overtime format, the team captains would meet at midfield for a coin toss, just as they did on Sunday when the Ravens played the Seahawks. But the captain of the Seahawks wouldn’t decide to kick or receive when he won the toss. Instead, he would have to name a yard line where the overtime kickoff would be placed. Then the Ravens’ captain would say whether he wanted to kick or receive. So Mike Holmgren might instruct his captain to have the kickoff spotted at the 43-yard line. Brian Billick would tell his captain, “If they put it anywhere inside the 40, we’ll receive. Otherwise, we’ll kick.” Losing the toss really wouldn’t be any disadvantage, because both teams can determine what they think is a fair spot for the opening kickoff.

BIG_DADDY
05-09-2006, 12:50 PM
http://lakersbrethren.homestead.com/files/VladeFlopShaw.jpg

NICE!!!

BIG_DADDY
05-09-2006, 01:10 PM
UFC diff. weight classes fight each other

Pride is doing an open class 16 fighter tournament right now. They had the first fight Friday I am sure you can still get it on PPV. They have also hooked up with Strikeforce to start promoting California fights now that it is legal. We had the biggest MMA event in US history here recently. This is our next one I am supposed to be getting killer tickets to for free because we know one of the fighters.

RockChalk
05-09-2006, 01:26 PM
NICE!!!

thought you might like that one. one of my good friends is from Folsom and we used to laugh about the patented Vlade Flop anytime the Kings were on TV

Amnorix
05-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Loss of your first round draft pick for violating the salary cap. The penalty assessed to the Donks for their two year violation was ridiculous...something like $100,000 for each year.

Agreed it wasn't enough, but technically it was $1.9M in total, and two 3rd round picks.

Auld Lang Syne
05-09-2006, 02:10 PM
NFL: No overtimes, that would force coaches to go for the win in regulation time.

NFL: No headsets in the QB's helmuts. Return the game to when the players controled the action.

NFL: Salary Caps for rookies/draftees - slotted to draft position.

I know the post said any one rule in any one sport, but football is the only good pro-sport.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 02:20 PM
NFL: No overtimes, that would force coaches to go for the win in regulation time.

NFL: No headsets in the QB's helmuts. Return the game to when the players controled the action.

NFL: Salary Caps for rookies/draftees - slotted to draft position.

I know the post said any one rule in any one sport, but football is the only good pro-sport.I am fine with no overtimes in the regular season, but in the playoffs, you MUST have a tiebreaking system.

I believe, they should just play another full quarter of football, no sudden death. If they are tied, then they should play another, and another if they are still tied.

The game would eventually be won by attrition, the team with the most depth would usually, and should win in that situation.

Hammock Parties
05-09-2006, 02:22 PM
The only rule change I want in football is to remove field goals in overtime. I hate that sinking feeling when the other team gets inside the 30 and you know the game is over.

Touchdowns only.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 02:46 PM
The only rule change I want in football is to remove field goals in overtime. I hate that sinking feeling when the other team gets inside the 30 and you know the game is over.

Touchdowns only.The only way the game is over for the Chiefs is if we score a TD, sounds fair to me.

Frazod
05-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Any football player who puts cooking spray on his uniform should be shot in the f#cking head. :#

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Any football player who puts cooking spray on his uniform should be shot in the f#cking head. :#ROFL

cdcox
05-09-2006, 03:43 PM
NBA: Allow offensive/defensive goal tending and contact in the paint.

JBucc
05-09-2006, 03:48 PM
NFL: Stop all the little pussy QB rules

NBA: just go away

MLB: Don't give a warning after one HBP, let the other team retaliate first always. Or just have more clear rules and less umpire judgement calls.

College football: Move the offense back in OT

College BBall: Um, I don't know.

picasso
05-09-2006, 03:50 PM
That's interesting. I haven't watched a single basketball game from start to finish this year. I've watched almost every inning of every Rangers game.

This country has ADD.

That's because they haven't shown any basketball games this year, the market is on NBA ticket. ESPN and TNT have sucked all season. The ones they have shown have sucked!!!
As far as baseball, almost watching a game doesn't consist of sitting in your lazyboy drinkin a beer eating peanuts and a waking up in the bottom of the 8th with your nards marinating in a beer and peanut stew.
There is a reason why they have a stretch - it's frickin boring!!! You gotta take your balls out of the marinade sometime.
I like the comment about allowing the runner to hang on to the bat, that would work for me.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 03:58 PM
MLB: Don't give a warning after one HBP, let the other team retaliate first always. Or just have more clear rules and less umpire judgement calls

In MLB I am all for taking the ump out of the balls and strikes decision. He is there to watch only if the batter swings or checks, foul tips, and out safe, fair foul things.

Let the computer decide when the batter takes it.

tk13
05-09-2006, 03:58 PM
I've always liked the 6 point idea for NFL overtimes. First team to score 6 points wins. That way if you go down and get a FG, you still have to get the ball back and get another FG. But if you let them march all the way down and score a TD, you lose.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 03:59 PM
In MLB I am all for taking the ump out of the balls and strikes decision. He is there to watch only if the batter swings or checks, foul tips, and out safe, fair foul things.

Let the computer decide when the batter takes it.This one thing alone, would end Giambi's career, and make Jeter an average hitter.

They both get a lot of strikes called balls due to their ability to check swings and make them look like they are out of the strike zone by their body language.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I've always liked the 6 point idea for NFL overtimes. First team to score 6 points wins. That way if you go down and get a FG, you still have to get the ball back and get another FG. But if you let them march all the way down and score a TD, you lose.good idea, the one FG is just crap.

Clint in Wichita
05-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Football, all levels - no field goals or extra points, ever.

BIG_DADDY
05-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Any football player who puts cooking spray on his uniform should be shot in the f#cking head. :#

We have got to party one of these days. ROFL

Gaz
05-10-2006, 05:38 AM
While there are lots of stupid rules, the #1 infuriating rule is the QB slide. Once the pencil-neck crosses the LOS, he is a running back and should be subject to the same rude treatment as any running back.

xoxo~
Gaz
Despises the sissy hook slide.

Skip Towne
05-10-2006, 05:49 AM
While there are lots of stupid rules, the #1 infuriating rule is the QB slide. Once the pencil-neck crosses the LOS, he is a running back and should be subject to the same rude treatment as any running back.

xoxo~
Gaz

I agree but it will never happen. Primo QB's are too valuable to the league.

OldTownChief
05-10-2006, 06:00 AM
I think the basketball should be square.

milkman
05-10-2006, 07:43 AM
I would make pass interference penalties reviewable.

I would also have someone not connected to the officiating crew responsible for reviews.

Skip Towne
05-10-2006, 07:46 AM
I would make pass interference penalties reviewable.

I would also have someone not connected to the officiating crew responsible for reviews.
They'd just send some ringers.

SCTrojan
05-10-2006, 08:41 AM
NCAA basketball - reduce the field to conference winners (conference determines whether that's regular season or conference tournament winner) and make it double elimination.

svuba
05-10-2006, 09:45 AM
I've always liked the 6 point idea for NFL overtimes. First team to score 6 points wins. That way if you go down and get a FG, you still have to get the ball back and get another FG. But if you let them march all the way down and score a TD, you lose.

That would be great TK, it drastically reduces the coin-flip advantage.

MLB - Move the pitchers mound 5-10' farther away from the batter- I want to see hits, plus it would make for a whole lot more action on the field - Also please require the 2nd baseman to actually touch the base on double plays

NHL / Soccer - slightly bigger Goal - Is there somthing fundamentally wrong with scoring?

NBA - call traveling, and stop calling imaginary fouls. Nothing is worse than having a player drive for game winning basket take 3 steps while not dribbling, throw up some garbage, and draw a non-existant foul.

Inspector
05-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Apply a thick layer of grease (or animal lard) to the track for bicycle races.

Replace the baseball with a badmitton birdie (whatever the hell it's called)

Add a feature to goal posts that allows the team to sway them during FG's. Only allow this feature to be activated during Chiefs games and only when the opponent is kicking the ball. (Whadya mean that aint fair??)

Dr. Van Halen
05-10-2006, 11:35 AM
All Sports: Fewer games. One of the many reasons football is so great is that there is a certain air of desperation each Sunday from both the players and the fans.

Veteran baseball players routinely take Sundays off. Why? Why not. So the team loses a game. One game won't kill the season, because the season is so ridiculously long. I for one think that is horseballs.

milkman
05-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Apply a thick layer of grease (or animal lard) to the track for bicycle races.

Replace the baseball with a badmitton birdie (whatever the hell it's called)

Add a feature to goal posts that allows the team to sway them during FG's. Only allow this feature to be activated during Chiefs games and only when the opponent is kicking the ball. (Whadya mean that aint fair??)

Shuttlecock.

BIG_DADDY
05-10-2006, 12:36 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

I agee. If you're gonna run you're the same as everyone else especially with this new Vik type of QB we got coming in the league now.

listopencil
05-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Soccer: Turn it into rugby immediately.
NFL: Redo alignment so it is geographic. Any state with multiple teams, the teams are in the same division and build from there. Name the divisions after legendary coaches.
NHL: Eliminate all rules dealing with location of player and puck during play. No icing, no two line pass rule, no offsides- none of it. Just play.
NBA: Hard salary cap at $25 MIL. All franchises must now donate excess cash to college scolarships. Then they may disband the NBA once and for all.

MLB: Stop televising it.

ChiefsFanatic
05-10-2006, 01:08 PM
MLB- Ban steroids except for anybody playing for the Royals.

Golf- Stop televising it except for the golf channel or PPV. Stop calling golfers athletes

Walking a 4 mile course, up and down rolling hills, and hitting a golf ball about 50 times [from the fairway, or worse] is not as easy as it looks. Then do it four days in a row. And in the down time between rounds, hit about 1000 golf balls at the practice range.

If you were to do this, you would probably not be able to bend over and touch your toes on Monday.

KC Dan
05-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Walking a 4 mile course, up and down rolling hills, and hitting a golf ball about 50 times [from the fairway, or worse] is not as easy as it looks. Then do it four days in a row. And in the down time between rounds, hit about 1000 golf balls at the practice range.

If you were to do this, you would probably not be able to bend over and touch your toes on Monday.
Wahhhhh! Still not athletes. Hell, I am tired as hell after working a five day work week and can hardly touch my toes but I'm not an "athlete". And no, it's not that I am fat, I'm not.

ChiefsFanatic
05-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Wahhhhh! Still not athletes. Hell, I am tired as hell after working a five day work week and can hardly touch my toes but I'm not an "athlete". And no, it's not that I am fat, I'm not.

Yeah. Say whatever you want. I used to think the exact same thing, until I went out and started playing golf. One day I was stupid and decided to save a few bucks and walk.

Dr. Van Halen
05-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah. Say whatever you want. I used to think the exact same thing, until I went out and started playing golf. One day I was stupid and decided to save a few bucks and walk.

Your definition of athlete right now seems to be anyone who does something to make them really tired.

epitome1170
05-10-2006, 02:36 PM

I defintely agree. Golf is definitely an athletic event... try it and you will understand. It is more than just hitting a golf ball that is not moving. To try it and to see the pros do it gives you such a great appreciation for the game.

epitome1170
05-10-2006, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=svuba]MLB - Move the pitchers mound 5-10' farther away from the batter- I want to see hits, plus it would make for a whole lot more action on the field - Also please require the 2nd baseman to actually touch the base on double plays
[QUOTE]

I personally would hate to see the mounds farther away. I actually wish they would heighten the mound again to give the pitchers a better advantage because right now the hitters have a huge advantage.

Also, to be technical... most of the time it is the shortstop who doesn't touch the base to turn a double play because of his slide step. The second baseman is usually on the bag when the throw is received. That being said, they are beginning to call that runner safe more and more often these last few years (still not a very good percentage of the time, but it is happening a lot more now than in the past).

picasso
05-10-2006, 03:02 PM
I defintely agree. Golf is definitely an athletic event... try it and you will understand. It is more than just hitting a golf ball that is not moving. To try it and to see the pros do it gives you such a great appreciation for the game.

Athletic for a 60 year old rich white dude with arthritis maybe. I have tried it and 9 holes are fun - 18 holes is a drunk. Takes up to much land for ball that small and employs to many immigrants to wash a white mans balls.

milkman
05-10-2006, 03:04 PM
For those of you that want to improve the game of baseball, the best way to that, IMO, is to contract the league by about 4 teams, return to two divisions per league, discontinue interleague play, and shorten the season to about 120-130 games.