PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors: Love 'em, Hate 'em or just Ignore 'em?

KChiefs1
05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
I've been in my house for six years now & the neighbors are starting to irritate me with little things....nothing major at this point but little minor irritations...like being Royals fans.STFU

How does everyone on the board get along with their neighbors?:hmmm:

FAX
05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Mine are both attorneys, Mr. KChiefs1.

I have no choice but to love them.

FAX

MOhillbilly
05-10-2006, 12:39 PM
i hate the people who bought my grandparents place.
HATE THEM!

jspchief
05-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm mildly sociable to the old man to the north, and barely speak to the weird home-schoolers to the south.

I'm just not the type of guy that thinks that I should be freinds with someone simply due to proximity.

Mr. Kotter
05-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I've been in my house for six years now & the neighbors are starting to irritate me with little things....nothing major at this point but little minor irritations...STFU

How does everyone on the board get along with their neighbors?:hmmm:

If it's nothing major, ignore 'em....

bogie
05-10-2006, 12:42 PM
I don't ignor them, but I have no interest in creating a social relationship with them. All of our friends live far enough away that we see them only when we want to.

JimNasium
05-10-2006, 12:42 PM
This thread is of interest to me because I moved into a new home a little over a week ago. My previous neighborhood was more of a blue collar crowd and was predominantly rentals. While people were not "unfriendly" they certainly did not go out of their way to say hi. The up side to this is that people left you alone and stayed out of your business.

My new neighborhood is more upscale and is dominated by retired or nearly retired folks. People have certainly been very friendly but they are perhaps a little "too" interested in my business. All in all, especially with young daughters in the house I think I prefer the new neighborhood but it does have its drawbacks.

KChiefs1
05-10-2006, 12:43 PM
If it's nothing major, ignore 'em....

That's what I'm doing at this point...I'm just worried it's the start.:shake:

ChiefsFan4Life
05-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I hate and ignore them

luv
05-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Mine are hard to ignore when they're having sex on the other side of the wall. Or there's the little yapping dog below me. Or there's the people who parking in an area that's limited in spaces when there's a huge lot on the other side of their building. I could go on, but I won't. I need a house.

Rain Man
05-10-2006, 12:46 PM
My neighbors are all pretty nice. One neighbor has had a few issues with us about minor things that I think are a bit petty, but is still a good neighbor. The others are all wonderful.

Katipan
05-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Mine are 2 young just-out-of college boys and an old hippie straight from Woodstock.

I get along with them beautifully. :D

Rain Man
05-10-2006, 12:48 PM
This thread is of interest to me because I moved into a new home a little over a week ago.

Congrats on the new place. I'll keep my schedule open for the housewarming party.

Jesus
05-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Love thy neighbor as thyself. And not just when they are hot, or supply you with herb.

Iowanian
05-10-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm on good terms with all of the closest neighbors and we all share a common dislike of the one house of unemployed, dope peddaling, shitpigs.

Today, I printed more of the graduation announcements I made for a neighbor girl who sits for us, and I'll help her dad put up a tent for her party in a couple of weeks. Another neighbor is 2 retired teachers, who are nice and we chat if they're in the yard, across the street is a young couple and he's getting me a bunch of free foodplot materials, I enjoy chatting with the Old folks to the North, and the guy behind me used his tractor and dirt pile to help me fill 2 new flower beds I'm building for the wife. This winter, one of them bladed our drive a couple of times.

Before Long, I'm having some of them over to demonstrate my Beercan chicken creations.

Nice neighborhood...nice people. Iowa at its finest.

If we could only get the one house of dirtbags to move.....

Stinger
05-10-2006, 12:50 PM
WE get along with all of ours. We all get together a couple of times in the summer and BBQ. The neighbors kids who are older will shovel snow for everyone in the winter, and other including my self have taken care of lawns and mail, papers, etc. when someone is ill, laid up, or out of town. It is nice to have a great group of nieghbors. I have been on the other side of the spectrum as well. Much prefer the current situation.

Inspector
05-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm on good terms with all of the closest neighbors and we all share a common dislike of the one house of unemployed, dope peddaling, shitpigs.

Today, I printed more of the graduation announcements I made for a neighbor girl who sits for us, and I'll help her dad put up a tent for her party in a couple of weeks. Another neighbor is 2 retired teachers, who are nice and we chat if they're in the yard, across the street is a young couple and he's getting me a bunch of free foodplot materials, I enjoy chatting with the Old folks to the North, and the guy behind me used his tractor and dirt pile to help me fill 2 new flower beds I'm building for the wife. This winter, one of them bladed our drive a couple of times.

Before Long, I'm having some of them over to demonstrate my Beercan chicken creations.

But we love the neighborhood. Oh, and the new flower beds look great!

Lzen
05-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Eh, not a whole lot of problems. My son is friends with the kid across the street and another across and down the street. Both families are okay.

On one side of my house lives about 3 young females. They pretty much keep to themselves and don't bug me. Once in awhile, they have people over partying. That doesn't bug me too much as I remember those days when everyday was a party. However, it's not acceptable when it's a week night and they're being loud right outside my kids' bedroom windows.

On the other side, there is an older couple. They're okay people, but they've had their moments of being annoying. Used to be that the old dude would be fanatic about taking care of his lawn. That's fine until the old fart starts making comments about mine. Hey jackass, I work and have kids. It's not always convenient to mow the grass and trim when it gets a half inch too tall.

Then there's their 2 dogs, a German shepherd and a chow. Both dogs bark at us all the time. That's one of the reasons I put up a privacy fence around my back yard last Summer. That and the old man was a little too nosey. One year, someone called the animal control on us about our dog. Now, I don't know WTF they were thinking, but our dog is well loved and taken care of. The animal control people went around back, took one quick look at her, and said "oh, she's just fine". I'm pretty sure it was these same neighbors that called them. :shake:

They have been much better towards us over the past few years. Just yesterday, they brought us some food (she works at a school and they had some leftover stuff). Last Summer, the old man helped clean up the old shingles off the ground when I was roofing my garage. So, they're much more bearable these days.

Early on, though (been in this house since Feb. 97), they were too nosey. They would freak out over my kids playing on the edge of the front porch, afraid the kids would fall off and hurt themselves. Hell, they're kids. That's what they do. I guarantee that they won't do it again. ROFL

Lzen
05-10-2006, 01:06 PM

We have some neighbors kinda like that. They live on the other side of the street and down a couple houses. They have a couple teen boys who were thugs. I think one ended up in jail. Always and buncha gangbangers hangin' out. Not so much of that these days. I think they both are living somewhere else now.

Dartgod
05-10-2006, 01:13 PM
My neighbor is a nosey bitch that drives me nuts. The only positive is that when we are out of town, I know someone is keeping an eye out on our house. Other than that, I really can't stand her or her alcoholic husband.

Bob Dole
05-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Bob Dole's neighborhood has quieted down significantly over the past 6 months.

Other than the constant stream of 5-minute visitors across the street the first 2 weeks of the month, the only other real annoyance is the frequent street ball game down the block. That wouldn't even be an issue if they weren't so rude about getting the **** out of the way when they saw a car coming down the street.

luv
05-10-2006, 01:15 PM
My neighbor is a nosey bitch that drives me nuts. The only positive is that when we are out of town, I know someone is keeping an eye out on our house. Other than that, I really can't stand her or her alcoholic husband.
ROFL

That post reminds me of my mom (minus the alcoholic husband).

StcChief
05-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Get along fine with immediate boarding neighbors...
Ignore for the most part.

Their are some semi-retired busi-bodies around the corner... however

DMAC
05-10-2006, 01:29 PM
KChiefs1, there are 2 things you can't choose in life, your relatives and your neighbors. You just have to make the best of it

KChiefs1
05-10-2006, 01:36 PM
KChiefs1, there are 2 things you can't choose in life, your relatives and your neighbors. You just have to make the best of it

I'm doing the best I can...it's when they get their ATV's out that they start to bug me, but overall I can't complain too much....I make it a point not to live too close to family(it's one of my rules)....

Carlota69
05-10-2006, 01:38 PM
I have peacefully lived in my community for close to 3 years, until now.

About a year ago a woman moved in right across the street. A friend of mine came over and parked her car in the street in front of this womans house. Well apparently this was unacceptable, the lady went ballistic about how this car was blocking her driveway, which it was not, and she demanded that we move the car immediately. My friend was sleeping, and I didn't know where her car keys were. My neightbor, who we will refer to as bitchface from here on out, demended that we wake her up to move the car.

Well since this woman has moved in, all of the sudden my dogs are too loud. I got an anoumous letter stating that my dogs are keeping people up. I'm coming home to notices from animal control and now I find out bitchface is trying to have a petition signed to get rid of my dogs, or me, I dont know. I also got a letter form the HOA stating that my dogs are a nussance and they get out all day (WHICH IS COMPLETELY UNTRUE).

The problem is, I'm home at night, all night 6-7 days a week. when are they keeping anyone up, i dont know, becasue I see bitchface leave for work early in the morning, like myself.

So I ask bitchface the other day, when are the dogs being a nussance, and she fails her aras around and says, "All day everyday, when you aren't home." Then she proceeds to tell me it's not just my dogs, but all the dogs in neighborhood. As bitchface is talking, i notice that she has a cat, on a leash. It becomes apparent that this woman is unreasonable dog hater.

I feel like I'm about to go to war, and I am about to put my house up for sale. My realtor asked if I would be willing to sell to low-income buyers through specials programs, and I'm all about it. I want my buyers to own a beat up 78 camaro and out in on blocks in the street, own a loud pitbull just to piss her off.

alpha_omega
05-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Neighbors, neighbors, neighbors
Have I got neighbors?
Have I got neighbors?
All day and all night
Neighbors
Have I got neighbors?
Ringing my doorbells
All day and all night
Ladies, have I got crazies?
Screaming young babies
No piece and no quiet
I got T.V.'s, saxophone playing
Groaning and straining
With the trouble and strife
Is it any wonder
Is it any wonder
Is it any wonder
That we fuss and fight
Neighbors, do unto strangers
Do unto neighbors
What you do to yourself, yourself, yourself
Is it any wonder
Is it any wonder
Is it any wonder
That we fuss and fight
Neighbors do unto strangers
Do onto neighbors what you do to yourself
Yourself, yourself, yourself
Do yourself a favour
Don't you mess with my baby
When I'm working all night
You know that neighbors
Steal off my table
Steal off my table
And doing alright, alright, alright
Neighbors do unto strangers
Do unto strangers
What you do to yourself

fan4ever
05-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Our neighborhood is better than it used to be; two doors down used to be crappy parents with teenage kids who loved to pull a fish tail in my cul de sac as they left their house. One day they did so as my kids were out and I waited until I saw this kid's car parked outside their house then walked down and knocked on the door. The kid answered it and I told him that he needed to know if he ever hit one of my kids that their would be no force on earth that would keep me from dragging him out of the car and chocking to death. Then I asked him if he understood me, he gave me a smartass "yeah" and closed the door. I meant every word of it. Every once in a while at night I'd still hear the squeeling tires, but not when my kids were out.

Dartgod
05-10-2006, 01:48 PM
As bitchface is talking, i notice that she has a cat, on a leash. It becomes apparent that this woman is unreasonable dog hater.
Antifreeze + Bowl = Problem Solved

It probably wouldn't hurt to try and get the cat to drink some of the antifreeze as well...

JimNasium
05-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Antifreeze + Bowl = Problem Solved

It probably wouldn't hurt to try and get the cat to drink some of the antifreeze as well...
She could always just stab her in the face.

Iowanian
05-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Good luck with that Carlotta.

If you sell to HUD people, be prepared to get a lowball offer, and then a list of things you'll have to fix, double the time doing paperwork, and then they'll be asking YOU to pay THEIR closing costs.

Never again for me.

I can see why that might be fun for you to do to your neighbor though.

Sounds like its time to get a slingshot and some dough balls of catnip.

Carlota69
05-10-2006, 01:56 PM
She could always just stab her in the face.
ROFL Now that's something to think about.

Carlota69
05-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Good luck with that Carlotta.

Sounds like its time to get a slingshot and some dough balls of catnip.

Now that sounds like fun too.

Donger
05-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I think I scare my neighbors. They won't even look at me. Except for the nice wife right next door. She's really friendly.

Donger
05-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Cat on a leash? I've only seen that done a few times, and the cats always went ballastic.

Frazod
05-10-2006, 02:12 PM
I live in a townhouse/condo community. Only the dog people are social with each other, and I'm not one of them.

We're really good friends with a younger married couple two doors down. That's about it. The rest range from hellos at the mailbox from most to hostile indifference from the bitch that lives in the unit between me and my friends, who seems to hate everybody and everything. She's so antisocial she makes me look vivacious by comparison. :D

I couldn't tell you the name of anybody else that lives in my neighborhood other than that one couple. I admit that's kind of sad.

Skip Towne
05-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Now that sounds like fun too.
Start calling her Megabitch to her face. Some kids did that to my sister and it really upset her. And she is a retired teacher and is used to unruly kids.

Carlota69
05-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Start calling her Megabitch to her face. Some kids did that to my sister and it really upset her. And she is a retired teacher and is used to unruly kids.

I like that idea as well :)

Rain Man
05-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Cat on a leash? I've only seen that done a few times, and the cats always went ballastic.

Before we got our house, I used to take my oldest cat out on a leash. He really seemed to enjoy it, and it's not like the neighbors were going to think I was any weirder anyway.

sedated
05-10-2006, 02:44 PM
I live in an apartment in the ghetto of Overland Park (if there is such a thing)

Nothing but Mexicans. I see them all the time, but never see the same one twice.

They are trying to raise families with 5 or 6 kids in a 2 bedroom apt.

Therefore, the kids spend a lot of time outside. All I hear is little voices yelling spanish jibberish all day and night.

They leave their toys everywhere, like they own the whole friggin complex. So I take advantage of every opportunity to throw them in the dumpster. (the toys, not the kids)

And they play in the hallways between the apartments. So I have to step on 5 of them just to get outside.

Last week, I found 2 guinea pigs in my stairway (completely unwatched), and they covered all the stairs in sh!t. It still hasn't been cleaned up, probably never will.

Skip Towne
05-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I live in an apartment in the ghetto of Overland Park (if there is such a thing)

Nothing but Mexicans. I see them all the time, but never see the same one twice.

Therefore, the kids spend a lot of time outside. All I hear is little voices yelling spanish jibberish all day and night.

They leave their toys everywhere, like they own the whole friggin complex. So I take advantage of every opportunity to throw them in the dumpster. (the toys, not the kids)

And they play in the hallways between the apartments. So I have to step on 5 of them just to get outside.

Last week, I found 2 guinea pigs in my stairway (completely unwatched), and they covered all the stairs in sh!t. It still hasn't been cleaned up, probably never will.
You should move your trailor to a more reputable trailor park.

JimNasium
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I couldn't tell you the name of anybody else that lives in my neighborhood other than that one couple. I admit that's kind of sad.
My new neighborhood actually publishes a directory with names of the adults and kids as well as phone numbers. :shake:

JBucc
05-10-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't know most of them very well at all but they seem like nice enough people.

Jesus
05-10-2006, 02:56 PM

Make a spot for me on your schedule; we should talk.

58-4ever
05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
My landlord is my neighbor. It sucks. I'm always afraid they will come over when I'm :hump: or :whackit: or :bong: . the people on the other side are complete WT, but we have an understanding to watch out for eachother's shit because there was some break-ins in our 'hood lately.

58-4ever
05-10-2006, 03:01 PM
did I mention that I rented a house with little or no insulation. my heating and cooling bills are tremendous. I wish there was something I could do legally, although I never signed a lease b/c the landlord was in Iraq. But, if I don't stay for a year, I'm afraid of losing my deposit. Any suggestions? :mad:

Bwana
05-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Two words: Bird Bombs.

BIG_DADDY
05-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Last ones were a nightmare. Current ones are great.

Frosty
05-10-2006, 03:58 PM
The neighbors behind us, who were renters, moved last weekend, which is great, because I would have had to kill their dog if they stayed another summer. The scary thing is there is no telling what we'll get next.

Rumor on the street is that the people that actually own the property are moving in, which should be a step in the right direction.

cdcox
05-10-2006, 04:22 PM
If Skip had made this trhead, it would have 100 posts by now.

Mr. Kotter
05-10-2006, 04:23 PM

No kidding....

ROFL

Rain Man
05-10-2006, 04:27 PM
The best neighbors are the ones like ghost ships. You occasionally see them glide by on dark nights, and you wave, and they wave, and then they disappear into the fog.

Skip Towne
05-10-2006, 04:29 PM
I really like this thread. It should make 100. It really belongs in my portfolio.

Rain Man
05-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I plan to start a "Do your neighbors believe in God" thread after this one falls off the front page. A definite 100-poster.

Iowanian
05-10-2006, 06:03 PM
did I mention that I rented a house with little or no insulation. my heating and cooling bills are tremendous. I wish there was something I could do legally, although I never signed a lease b/c the landlord was in Iraq. But, if I don't stay for a year, I'm afraid of losing my deposit. Any suggestions? :mad:

If you don't have a lease, and havne't done any damage...give a solid 30 day notice, leave it clean...you should get it back.

chiefs4me
05-10-2006, 06:47 PM
We have been in this home six years and never had a problem with any of the neighobors..until football season that is...and then the cranky old idiot down the street starts in with the chiefs bashing....:banghead:

Skip Towne
05-10-2006, 07:48 PM
We have been in this home six years and never had a problem with any of the neighobors..until football season that is...and then the cranky old idiot down the street starts in with the chiefs bashing....:banghead:
Is that the same guy that kicks your ass with the bowl game bets?