PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 albums of '06, so far

Reaper16
05-10-2006, 07:01 PM
With more than 1/3 of the year gone by, what albums released so far do you find to be the best?

1. Tool - 10,000 Days
2. Enslaved - Runn
3. Psycroptic - Symbols of Failure
4. Wolfmother - Wolfmother
5. Ghostface Killer - Fishcale

Bowser
05-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Alright, I've heard enough hype around here that I'm going to have to go and get WolfMother.

And is it just me, or does it seem like somebody opened the vault to the 80's and early 90's, and all the bands from the era are putting out greatest hits compilations?

Bob Dole
05-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Alright, I've heard enough hype around here that I'm going to have to go and get WolfMother.

And is it just me, or does it seem like somebody opened the vault to the 80's and early 90's, and all the bands from the era are putting out greatest hits compilations?

If Bob Dole was a has-been rocker with a catalogue, Bob Dole sure as hell would be re-releasing stuff and taking advantage of the digital music revolution.

StcChief
05-12-2006, 11:05 AM

There is no need for a plural.

Fish
05-12-2006, 02:14 PM
I've heard lots of hype so far about the new RHCP album...... anybody got it yet?

DMAC
05-12-2006, 02:20 PM
I've heard lots of hype so far about the new RHCP album...... anybody got it yet?http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140113

Disc 1= eh.

Disc 2= Pretty dang good.

Thats about the jist of it.

chagrin
05-12-2006, 02:21 PM
There is no need for a plural.

Speaking of,

I hear Tommy Tutone is releasing a medley of their hit, later this year

StcChief
05-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Speaking of,

I hear Tommy Tutone is releasing a medley of their hit, later this year

This applies to most 80s 90s 00s bands

Reaper16
05-12-2006, 11:18 PM
I see no one has listened to 5 new albums this year.

Jim Jones
05-13-2006, 03:20 AM
1. Stadium Arcadium
2. 10,000 Days
3. Pearl Jam

Those are all I've bought.

Reaper16
05-13-2006, 09:44 AM
1. Stadium Arcadium
2. 10,000 Days
3. Pearl Jam

Those are all I've bought.
"The big 3" rock records of the year; solid choices, I'm sure.

DMAC
05-13-2006, 09:45 AM
"The big 3" rock records of the year; solid choices, I'm sure.Isn't Audioslave coming out with a new one this summer as well?

Reaper16
05-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Isn't Audioslave coming out with a new one this summer as well?
I was more or less speaking of so far, but yeah, I think so.

NJ Chief Fan
05-22-2006, 06:38 AM
ghostface fishscale is the only new album that ive heard from this year...everything else comes out in the summer or later...waiting on that raekwon only built for cuban links 2 cormega urban legend the new az cd saigons debut greatest story never told the new nas cd called hip hop is dead papoose the nacirema dream and the new method man 4:21(heard 3 cuts of this cd so far and it sounds like the method man of old THANK GOD) and the new obie trice second rounds on me

Reaper16
05-22-2006, 10:34 AM
ghostface fishscale is the only new album that ive heard from this year...everything else comes out in the summer or later...waiting on that raekwon only built for cuban links 2 cormega urban legend the new az cd saigons debut greatest story never told the new nas cd called hip hop is dead papoose the nacirema dream and the new method man 4:21(heard 3 cuts of this cd so far and it sounds like the method man of old THANK GOD) and the new obie trice second rounds on me
Though this "sentence" is practically indecipherable, I am excited to hear the new Method Man album sounds like his old work.

HC_Chief
05-22-2006, 10:42 AM
I have found only one album worthy of purchase thus far in 2006: Tool's 10,000 Days. :thumb:

Other than that CD I've been listening to XM radio... which I absolutely love!!! (esp XM Comedy)

I have also refound my appreciation for OLD Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here, and Animals are now in regular rotation. "Welcome to the Machine" = brilliance

Reaper16
05-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I have found only one album worthy of purchase thus far in 2006: Tool's 10,000 Days. :thumb:

That's because you haven't heard the other albums on my list.

DMAC
05-22-2006, 10:52 AM
That's because you haven't heard the other albums on my list.Enslaved is just plain weird to me.

And I like Wolfmother a lot...except for the songs that sound exactly like the White Stripes. I hate the White Stripes and that whole style of music. It just sounds like cheap rock.

Reaper16
05-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Enslaved is just plain weird to me.

ROFL I believe it. What album did you listen to?

HC_Chief
05-22-2006, 10:58 AM
That's because you haven't heard the other albums on my list.

Well share some MP3s/links then! :p

Reaper16
05-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Well share some MP3s/links then! :p
I do share MP3s; hit me up on Soulseek if you really want them. It may not be worth it, though. :) I mean, "Runn" and "Symbols of Failure" are really, really, really good albums... but they are very extreme varities of metal.

HC_Chief
05-22-2006, 11:29 AM
I do share MP3s; hit me up on Soulseek if you really want them. It may not be worth it, though. :) I mean, "Runn" and "Symbols of Failure" are really, really, really good albums... but they are very extreme varities of metal.

lol
Aussie deathmetal and Danish deathmetal, eh?

Not my thing. Think one of my friend's bands played shows with those guys tho'. You'd probably dig their stuff if you're into extreme DM: <a href="http://www.origin-site.com">Origin</a>.

DMAC
05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
ROFL I believe it. What album did you listen to?RUNN. Him singing reminded me of this...

http://www.zoodoo.com.au/images/devil.jpg

Reaper16
05-22-2006, 01:22 PM
lol
Aussie deathmetal and Danish deathmetal, eh?

Not my thing. Think one of my friend's bands played shows with those guys tho'. You'd probably dig their stuff if you're into extreme DM: <a href="http://www.origin-site.com">Origin</a>.
Well, to be accurate, Enslaved is Norweigen black metal. Post-black or progressive black metal, most accurately. Psycroptic is indeed death metal, my fav death metal band, from Australia, moure accurately, Tasmania!

And Hells Yeah I know Origin. Fast, brutal, and technical - good stuff.

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Man, am I behind. I was going to include the new Korn and the new Disturbed. Of course, both were released last year... :(

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-03-2006, 12:32 AM
I see no one has listened to 5 new albums this year.
Well these are all fairly new..........

James Blunt -Back to Bedlam

Jamie Fox -Unpredictable

Dierks Bentley -Modern Day Drifter

Little Big Town -The Road To Here

Big and Rich- Comin to your City

Moooo
06-03-2006, 12:43 AM
I can never keep up with this stuff. I wait about 5 years before I buy it, just to make sure I'll like it.

Moooo

Nightwish
06-03-2006, 02:24 PM
So far I've only heard one album from 2006, and that is Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime 2." Okay album, not great, nowhere near as good as the first, but overall not bad. Just not memorable.

CHENZ A!
06-05-2006, 06:00 PM

I have the new Obie Trice, its pretty dope, and I can't wait for the new Meth, you say its good?

NJ Chief Fan
06-07-2006, 12:49 AM
I have the new Obie Trice, its pretty dope, and I can't wait for the new Meth, you say its good?

how the hell do you have the new obie? as for the new method man, ive heard 3 songs...who im iz-solid track, ya mean ft fat joe and styles p-method man and styles are dope but fat joe sucks but what else is new and things they say ft lauryn hill(on the chorus) great track best out of the 3 if you want i could up the 3 for you...its suppose to be released at the end of june if i remember correctly

WU TANG IS BACK! RIP ODB

ZootedGranny
06-07-2006, 04:47 AM
Thus far, in no certain order:

DJ Drama & Yo Gotti I Told You So Mixtape
J Dilla Donuts
Bronze Nazareth The Great Migration
Ghostface Fishscale
Gnarls Barkley St. Elsewhere

Honorable mention: Cunninlyguists A Piece of Strange & Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor

The Bronze Nazareth is the closest thing to capturing the old Wu sound since Masta Killa's No Said Date, and is already my favorite Wu fam release since Supreme Clientele.

I wouldn't hold out any hope whatsoever for Meth to drop anything worth a ****. He was in the studio with RZA for a straight month and only came out with 3 tracks...that doesn't bode well, considering Meth has a horrible ear for beats.

Looking forward to the rest of the way:

DJ Shadow The Outsider

I'm a HUGE Shadow fan, and while people are already complaining about the direction he's taken, I can't wait to hear it.

Madvillain 2
J Dilla The Shining
Madlib solo album
New Project Pat album
Rae's OB4CL 2, though I doubt it drops this year.

NJ Chief Fan
06-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Bronze Nazareth The Great Migration

The Bronze Nazareth is the closest thing to capturing the old Wu sound since Masta Killa's No Said Date, and is already my favorite Wu fam release since Supreme Clientele.

Rae's OB4CL 2, though I doubt it drops this year.

i heard the bronze nazareth cd...its pretty good

raekwon just signed with dr dre aftermath!

the Talking Can
06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
The Arctic Monkeys...British kids, their song "Fake Tales of San Francisco" is as good a rock song as I've heard in years...they're what I wish was played on the radio (I didn't want to like them either becuase they were the latest indie hype new band flavor of the week)

the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs was a huge - huge - disappointment...the Monkeys made up for it

been curious about the Dilla cd some mentioned...read some articles about his life/death...

Reaper16
06-07-2006, 02:51 PM
The Arctic Monkeys...British kids, their song "Fake Tales of San Francisco" is as good a rock song as I've heard in years...they're what I wish was played on the radio (I didn't want to like them either becuase they were the latest indie hype new band flavor of the week)

the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs was a huge - huge - disappointment...the Monkeys made up for it

been curious about the Dilla cd some mentioned...read some articles about his life/death...
Usually I'm very unimpressed with the latest uber-hyped British band of the year, but the Arctic Monkeys have an awesome record. The song "When the Sun Goes Down" might be my favorite rock song of the year.

bgguitarman
06-07-2006, 03:19 PM
1. Josh Ritter - The Animal Years
2. Blue October - Foiled
3. Angels and Airwaves - We Don't Need to Whisper
4. The Juliana Theory - Small Noise
5. Two Gallants - What the Toll Tells

Reaper16
06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
3. Angels and Airwaves - We Don't Need to Whisper

Really? I haven't listened to it, but I haven't seen a good review of the album yet.

ZootedGranny
06-07-2006, 05:27 PM
raekwon just signed with dr dre aftermath!

That's the reason I don't expect his album to drop this year. Aftermath is where artists go to disappear or have their album shelved for long periods of time.

the Talking Can
06-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Usually I'm very unimpressed with the latest uber-hyped British band of the year, but the Arctic Monkeys have an awesome record. The song "When the Sun Goes Down" might be my favorite rock song of the year.

agreed...I hate Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, etc...but this album kicks ass from start to finish....they put A LOT of recent bands to shame...

I rarely fall in love with an album..once evey year or two...but this was instant.

Nightwish
06-07-2006, 07:53 PM
I saw them recently on one of the late night talkshows. I don't remember if it was Letterman, or maybe Craig Ferguson, but they weren't too shabby!

CHENZ A!
06-07-2006, 10:48 PM
how the hell do you have the new obie? as for the new method man, ive heard 3 songs...who im iz-solid track, ya mean ft fat joe and styles p-method man and styles are dope but fat joe sucks but what else is new and things they say ft lauryn hill(on the chorus) great track best out of the 3 if you want i could up the 3 for you...its suppose to be released at the end of june if i remember correctly

WU TANG IS BACK! RIP ODB

A friend of mine got the Obie Trice from a website... I think it was called simplemp3.com or something like that. I got Outkast, Kanye, and too many others, all weeks before they came out. I don't know of a good way to send it to you, but I would. let me know.

bgguitarman
06-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Really? I haven't listened to it, but I haven't seen a good review of the album yet.

The key is to listen to it in the dark with headphones very loudly. It's a tad over produced, but a lot of the lyrics apply to me right now.

Nightwish
06-08-2006, 04:36 PM
A friend of mine got the Obie Trice from a website... I think it was called simplemp3.com or something like that. I got Outkast, Kanye, and too many others, all weeks before they came out. I don't know of a good way to send it to you, but I would. let me know.
Isn't Kanye something of a pariah, after shatting himself on live tv over Katrina?

Reaper16
06-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Isn't Kanye something of a pariah, after shatting himself on live tv over Katrina?
Replace with pariah with hero, and you'll be right.

Nightwish
06-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Replace with pariah with hero, and you'll be right.
Oh, I'm not dissing him for having the balls to make the statement. It's just the way he did it, he seemed blubbery and nearly incoherent. I realize that he was overcome with emotion, but it's just the way he came across, like he was mentally challenged or something.

CHENZ A!
06-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I think if you changed the work "black" in "George Bush doesn't care about black people." to "poor", then alot more people would have been on Kanye's side. I can't fault the guy for speaking his mind though.

Sam Hall
06-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Johnny Cash - Personal File

This is a must for any Cash fan, and there seems to many on the board. The second CD is all gospel, and it's better than the first CD. That didn't surprise me. I can't wait for American V: A Hundred Highways.

Baby Lee
06-16-2006, 06:17 AM
Gnarls Barkley St. Elsewhere
Enjoying as well. It's almost like they're making music expressly to someday find it's way onto a Quentin Tarantino soundtrack.
Quirky, catchy, soulful, evocative of a different time, sticks in your brain.

Demonpenz
06-16-2006, 06:33 AM
i think gnarls barkley sounds like jameriqui and can't believe it is on the buzz. I still like it though

Molitoth
06-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Some stuff I've been listening to this year....

Tool - 10,000 Days
Kaddisfly - Set Sail the Prairie
Lostprophets - Liberation Transmission
Opus Dai - Tierra Tragame
Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third

Some stuff I have that I'm going to listen to soon...

Sikth - Death Of A Dead Day
36 Crazyfists - Rest Inside the Flames
Underoath - Define the Great Line
Murder By Death - In Bocca Al Lupo
Muse - Black Holes and Revalations
Wolfmother - Wolfmother

NJ Chief Fan
06-18-2006, 04:17 PM
has anyone heard the new busta rhymes big bang yet...i heard its pretty good not sure if i want to get it though

ChiefFripp
06-19-2006, 04:20 AM
has anyone heard the new busta rhymes big bang yet...i heard its pretty good not sure if i want to get it though

Not sure, but Busta is one rapper I can listen to because he is usually pretty funny. Most rappers have such an ego that they take themselves way too seriously, Busta isn't that way.

ZootedGranny
06-19-2006, 05:17 AM

It is pretty good. A few standout tracks, a couple of garbage tracks and some filler. Overall, above average.

HC_Chief
06-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Wolfmother is very good. Reminds me a lot of 70s hard rock bands... kind of a cross between Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, and Black Sabbath. Then throw in a bit of White Stripes to modernize it. Overall, I'm fairly impressed. :)

Archie F. Swin
08-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Gnarls Barkley

Sam Hall
08-15-2006, 08:45 AM
American V: A Hundred Highways has some beautiful music.

Reaper16
08-15-2006, 12:58 PM
UneXpect - "A Flesh Aquarium"

Comes out on the 22nd. I don't know if it's btter than "10,000 Days" but it's my favorite album of the year.

DMAC
08-15-2006, 02:15 PM
UneXpect - "A Flesh Aquarium"

Comes out on the 22nd. I don't know if it's btter than "10,000 Days" but it's my favorite album of the year.Holy crap you like some weird stuff. ROFLROFLROFL

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserve/B000GW8PUE001002/0/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_002/102-6289135-8524111

Reaper16
08-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Holy crap you like some weird stuff. ROFLROFLROFL

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserve/B000GW8PUE001002/0/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_002/102-6289135-8524111
Yeah, UneXpect is nothing if not really weird.

NJ Chief Fan
08-16-2006, 11:08 PM
heard the new method man 4:21 the day after, good cd by tical better than mostly everything coming out in the rap game lately

Reaper16
08-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Falconer - "Northwind"

It leaked today. This is the new album with original singer Mathias Blad back at the helm.

I was absolutely elated to hear his voice on new Falconer material. Solid, solid release. One of my fav album covers ever, to boot.

Miles
08-17-2006, 12:34 AM
I have been really enjoying the new Thome Yorke album recenty.