PDA

View Full Version : What's this? No Ty Law threads on the front page?

T-post Tom
05-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Show Me The Money

Last season, the Kansas City Chiefs ' defense finished 30th in the NFL against the pass, in the middle of the pack in interceptions (17th), and gave up 20.3 points per game. So far this offseason, general manager Carl Peterson has yet to address his secondary in earnest. The bases are now loaded, it's time for Peterson to step up and hit a grand slam. Ty Law, arguably the best cornerback in the NFL, is available, and the Chiefs have the money. It's time for Peterson to step up and, as Jerry Maguire would say, "show Law the money!"

After an injury-plagued 2004 campaign with the New England Patriots , Law was released, and eventually signed a three-year, $23 million contract with the New York Jets . In his first and only year in the "Big Apple," Law proved to be worth every penny.

This past season, numerous quarterbacks tested their fate against the "Law", and more often than not, Law delivered the NFL's version of karmic retribution. He tied with Deltha O'Neal of the Cincinnati Bengals for the league lead in interceptions with 10. In addition, the ball-hawking cornerback tallied 62 tackles and was a great mentor for rookie corner Justin Miller.

In his 11-year career, Law has picked off 46 passes, returning seven for touchdowns. He would fit in perfectly as a starter alongside Chiefs cornerback Patrick Surtain, setting up a formidable defensive backfield, which would be unmatched by most others. Add in the fact that they already posses another high-impact player in Sammy Knight at safety, and the Law signing would instantly provide head coach Herm Edwards and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham with an elite triumvirate of defensive backs.

While it's true that Law will likely be expensive, the payoff seems far too great for the Chiefs to resist. He has proven time and again he is worth whatever amount of money he is given. Playmakers don't grow on trees, and it's not every day that players of Law's caliber are available.

Not only would Law instantly improve the Chiefs' defense, he would be an enormous solution to one the team's biggest needs. It's time for Peterson and the Kansas City Chiefs to make it happen.

-Eric Krupka can be reached at ekrupka@realfootball365.com

Spicy McHaggis
05-10-2006, 11:35 PM
He tied with Deltha O'Neal of the Cincinnati Bengals for the league lead in interceptions with 10.

Deltha O'Neal had 10 picks? Didn't the Donks have him playing wide reciever because they couldn't get him to produce at corner after his first couple seasons?

SLAG
05-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Deltha O'Neal had 10 picks? Didn't the Donks have him playing wide reciever because they couldn't get him to produce at corner after his first couple seasons?

Maybe Lenny Smalls Will Pan Out

Rausch
05-10-2006, 11:59 PM

The mastermind was busy rigging oil prices...

Halfcan
05-11-2006, 12:12 AM
I say the chance of us getting him are 7-2 odds.

greg63
05-11-2006, 02:50 AM
What's this? No Ty Law threads on the front page?

Yeah, disappointing I know. :rolleyes:

Ne14a40
05-12-2006, 02:10 PM
give him whatever he wants

Mr. Flopnuts
05-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Maybe Lenny Smalls Will Pan Out

I feel a little better about it now

brent102fire
05-12-2006, 05:34 PM
I say the chance of us getting him are 7-2 odds.

I think it's a 50/50 chance...the Chiefs either sign him or they don't :p :D ;)

milkman
05-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Ty Law benefitted from the pass rush the Jets were able to provide.
He also led the league in PI penalties.

Unless someone in the middle steps up and provides a push, even with a better DE on the other side of Allen, the pass rush will still not be consistent.

Without that pressure, Law won't get the ints, but he will still get the PIs.

Cormac
05-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Ty Law benefitted from the pass rush the Jets were able to provide.
He also led the league in PI penalties.

Unless someone in the middle steps up and provides a push, even with a better DE on the other side of Allen, the pass rush will still not be consistent.

Without that pressure, Law won't get the ints, but he will still get the PIs.

Exactly.

Even if we plug in Battle or Walls opposite Surtain, I'm pretty happy with our LB and DB corps. If Herm, Gun and the new coaching staff can't win with them they suck. Our line is where the problem is, Hali or not. We really need either Sims or Siavii to show why they were drafted so high.