PDA

View Full Version : The deadliest catch..

Joe Seahawk
05-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Anyone else hooked on that show?

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/about/gallery/about.jpg

Spicy McHaggis
05-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Yes, its like freaking crack. My roommates and I watched 2 minutes of the first season with the normal "this is going to be boring attitude" but ended up sitting through about 4 episodes.

I don't know what it is but I love it. The night fishing scenes just seem like they're not even on this planet, it's surreal. You've got to have a lot of sack and be more than a little crazy to do that job.

Simplex3
05-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Are you serious? It's a bunch of non-descript orange suits flopping around on a boat. With crabs. What's to get addicted to?

Katipan
05-10-2006, 11:43 PM
The freaking theme song.

"Dead or aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive"

Spicy McHaggis
05-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Are you serious? It's a bunch of non-descript orange suits flopping around on a boat. With crabs. What's to get addicted to?

Better reality TV than the ****ing Real World. No really, thanks Gen X for screwing it up for the rest of us.

Simplex3
05-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Better reality TV than the ****ing Real World. No really, thanks Gen X for screwing it up for the rest of us.
I'd sooner s**t in my own hand than watch The Real World, thank you.

Joe Seahawk
05-10-2006, 11:47 PM

I dunno, but like Spicy Mchaggis said it's addicting if you watch the damn thing. A lot of those boats are based very near my home here in Seattle and I have some friends that used to be big time crab fisherman up there, some of their stories (probably exaggerated) were ****in crazy, and I'm talking about on land in Dutch Harbor.

I am amazed that anyone would actually make a career out of that, i could see a few years of it to make some big bucks like my buddies did but damn! sooner or later you WILL be taking a dip in the bering sea..

stevieray
05-10-2006, 11:51 PM
forrest gump jumped off his boat into the water while it was running.

top that.

Halfcan
05-11-2006, 12:08 AM
I have seen many documetaries on this, and it truly is the most dangerous job. You have a bad day and you drown a terrible death.

unlurking
05-11-2006, 12:10 AM
forrest gump jumped off his boat into the water while it was running.

top that.
Have seen them playing video footage of boats going down and fisherman getting thrashed by waves into ice chuncks the size of boulders when they go overboard. Fun stuff.

Darien25
05-11-2006, 12:35 AM

It is a great show. On the few nights I watch TV it is usually whatever happens to be on the Discovery channel.

J Diddy
05-11-2006, 12:41 AM
I'd sooner s**t in my own hand than watch The Real World, thank you.

Yeah...

But what's not to like about shitting in your own hand.

KCChiefsMan
05-11-2006, 02:05 AM
I dont know why but I watched about 4 episodes of top chef today

greg63
05-11-2006, 02:54 AM

I had no idea this was even out there.

chagrin
05-11-2006, 06:07 AM
I watched all of the first season but haven't seen one of the new ones yet

JBucc
05-11-2006, 06:28 AM
I like most of discovery's shows but not this one for soem reason.

Chiefnj
05-11-2006, 07:47 AM
I love the show. But, now that the derby system is over it's not as good for television. It's great for them - less risks and lives lost.

DMAC
05-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Any idea how much the grunts make that do all the hard work?

Iowanian
05-11-2006, 08:01 AM
I love that show.

Dmac...I checked into the industry a little in college...I think the "grunt" would make around $20K in a season. Some jobs pay better than others, and the shittiest for the new guys pays the worst. You have to "earn" your way up..just like the guy told his kid on the last episode.

DISCOVERY has stolen me from the History channel.

Deadliest Catch, Survivorman, Dirty jobs.....

NewChief
05-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Any idea how much the grunts make that do all the hard work?

Around 20,000 in a season. I think they fish two seasons a year, so around 40k.

Chiefnj
05-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Greenhorns make $200 a day unless the rest of the crew decides to cut you into a small %.

In past years they showed how much different guys earned. It was often well below 20k (per species/season).

jspchief
05-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Greenhorns make $200 a day unless the rest of the crew decides to cut you into a small %.

In past years they showed how much different guys earned. It was often well below 20k (per species/season). Yeah, they talk up how much these guys "can" make in a few weeks, but the reality is that they make much less.

I remember the one season where they were getting record hauls, boats were having to go back and unload because they were over-flowing. It was clearly a rare occasion. Thos guys were making about 20K in less than two weeks, but it was obviously not typical with a normal season.

Kylo Ren
05-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Capt. Sig Hanson is THE MAN!
My wife and I love this show.

Midway Chief
05-11-2006, 08:08 AM
I love the show and I am hooked. Sig Hanson is the man.

Scaga
05-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Yep...I'm hooked.

Chiefnj
05-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Yeah, they talk up how much these guys "can" make in a few weeks, but the reality is that they make much less.

I remember the one season where they were getting record hauls, boats were having to go back and unload because they were over-flowing. It was clearly a rare occasion. Thos guys were making about 20K in less than two weeks, but it was obviously not typical with a normal season.

IIRC one year a bunch of boats were doing what I would consider average by the catch counts listed and I think deckhands walked away with around $6,000. Not bad for a weeks work, but bad for the risk you are taking (IMO).

beavis
05-11-2006, 08:16 AM
DISCOVERY has stolen me from the History channel.

Deadliest Catch, Survivorman, Dirty jobs.....
Same here. National Geographic grabs me sometimes too.

Iowanian
05-11-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm sure its like any other dangerous, "man-Job"...when the work is the hardest and things are going bad, you don't make much. I'm sure there are years those guys work their arses off and risk a popcicle's death with a swordfish hook through the dickwhacker for $100/18hr day.

I wonder how many Guys have watched this show and actually said "effit" and Gone to Alaska to do this BECAUSE of the show?

Sully
05-11-2006, 08:23 AM
I love that show.
I'm glad they showed the guy who thought he'd try it out, so he flew in and got on a boat, and when it got rough started threatening to jump off the boat. I liked it because that would be me, no doubt. I'd think I was tough enough to hack it, but once the boat started rocking, I'd be done.

jspchief
05-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Same here. National Geographic grabs me sometimes too.I just watched a show about fire ants on NGC last night. Amazing stuff.

They're trying to breed a type of fly in Texas that lays it's egg inside the body of fire ants. The larva grows and kills the ant from the inside out. Awesome "natural" approach to combat fire ant populations.

beavis
05-11-2006, 11:11 AM
I wonder how many Guys have watched this show and actually said "effit" and Gone to Alaska to do this BECAUSE of the show?
There was an episode last season when one of the guys they hired off the dock was going to jump overboard rather than stay on the boat any longer. They ended up having to take him back in. The captain said that was the last time he'd ever hire someone on the spot like that.

beavis
05-11-2006, 11:14 AM
I just watched a show about fire ants on NGC last night. Amazing stuff.

They're trying to breed a type of fly in Texas that lays it's egg inside the body of fire ants. The larva grows and kills the ant from the inside out. Awesome "natural" approach to combat fire ant populations.
The thing about the supervolcano under Yellowstone was awesome. They actually mentioned how screwed we'd be in KC if it ever does happen.

KCTitus
05-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Last couple of shows they've shown the one boat doing nothing but cod fishing off the coast of dutch harbor...20 straight hours of setting and pulling the traps.

FUG THAT!

That said...I like the show and watch it regularly. Dont know what the draw is about the show.

KcMizzou
05-11-2006, 11:37 AM

They're trying to breed a type of fly in Texas that lays it's egg inside the body of fire ants. The larva grows and kills the ant from the inside out. Awesome "natural" approach to combat fire ant populations.I saw that too. Crazy stuff.

The larva moves from the abdomen to the head (munching happily along), eventually dissolving the tissue in the neck till the head falls off.

Rough way to go.

Bob Dole
05-11-2006, 11:38 AM

It can't happen any too soon.

ChiefaRoo
05-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I love that show.
I'm glad they showed the guy who thought he'd try it out, so he flew in and got on a boat, and when it got rough started threatening to jump off the boat. I liked it because that would be me, no doubt. I'd think I was tough enough to hack it, but once the boat started rocking, I'd be done.

P***y, you must be a KU grad. :)

picasso
05-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Did it, loved it, bought a house, stayed in Seattle.
I'm older now, married, kids, but I would still love to do it again. My wife has a different opinion. If I was going to die doing a dangerous job it would be that job cause the cold water kills you quick by going to sleep and drowning deep.

ChiefaRoo
05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Did it, loved it, bought a house, stayed in Seattle.
I'm older now, married, kids, but I would still love to do it again. My wife has a different opinion. If I was going to die doing a dangerous job it would be that job cause the cold water kills you quick by going to sleep and drowning deep.

Picasso, how accurate is the show as it relates to the risk. Are they over dramatizing it or not? Also how long are the King Crab and Opelio Crab seasons?

chiefz
05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
yes, I just got over being hooked on a couple of other shows and now this one comes along...

picasso
05-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Picasso, how accurate is the show as it relates to the risk. Are they over dramatizing it or not? Also how long are the King Crab and Opelio Crab seasons?

Extremely accurate IMO. There is always a risk even while you sleep. You never know when a rudder is going to stick in the middle of 35 foot swells like it did when I was up there. You wake up on the wall and you realize shit there is something wrong here.
You can get over confident and horse around out of boredom and usually those guys get hurt if they don't come back to earth. I saw it many times. And many times it was guys just doing their jobs and somebody else not paying attention and hurting them by accident. Including captains and first mates. Every year guys get killed you just hope it isn't you or someone you know. On crab boats it's worse because you're on a flat deck with hardly a rail and you have to reach out past the rail to bring the cages in. It's mother nature that kicks your ass then. The Berring Sea can be calm and sunny one minute and the next 2 inches of ice on everything, 20 below and raining ice and snow the next. That means your wet rubber boots instantly freeze to the deck, your gloves turn hard and you can't just quit what you're doing you keep pulling in cages.
I know that the seasons used to be 13 weeks and then they went down to 13 days. Tell ya the truth it fluctuates so much I wouldn't know what it is now and haven't kept up on it. I believe though that the last season for reds was 4 days. Now they have a lot of boats crossing into russian waters in the winter months for snow crab and I believe that season is longer because of the distance.

picasso
05-11-2006, 01:18 PM
I think it's called the Crab Derby because of the short season these days.

Chiefnj
05-11-2006, 01:34 PM
I think it's called the Crab Derby because of the short season these days.

According to the show, Alaska Fish and Game stopped the derby style race for crab. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that prior to the season Fish and Game tells each boat how many lbs each individual boat can catch (based on prior years success rates). Instead of saying there are 100 crab out there everyone scramble for them, they now say boat X you are entitled to 5, boat Y you can catch 7, etc.

cadmonkey
05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Everytime I watch it I want to quit my job and go crabbing.

i know its a tough job and there is a good chance of me diing, but really its more exiting than what I am doing now.

Iowanian
05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Thats pretty close, and thats why some of the guys were mad that so many lost their jobs....Several of the smaller boat owners, sold their "crab shares" to the big boys.

Cad....Since yowah up theyah in cah pahkville...wouldn't it make more sense for you to go climb in a North Atlantic Swordboat?

greg63
05-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I watched all of the first season but haven't seen one of the new ones yet

Was it worth watching?

Bob Dole
05-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Bob Dole just started watching it a couple of weeks ago.

Pretty cool hearing two songs by a local band (Pilotdrift) on tonight's episode.

MahiMike
05-17-2006, 06:50 AM
This show is awesome. I watch it w/my 7 yr old son all the time. Living in FL we do a bit of offshore fishing and I've been out there in 4-6 ft waves on a 25' boat. That's scary enough. I can't imagine being in 25-50 ft waves when the water is freezing cold. And all that heavy equipment flying around adds another level of danger to it.

My hat's off to them. 'Cause I doooo love my crab!

Otter
05-17-2006, 06:56 AM
I like the show, can’t say I’m hooked on it though. Can’t think of the name of it off the top of my head but that new show where the former Navy Seal shows of military technology is my new Discovery Favorite.

Any show that helps knock American Chopper off the air in OK in my book.

KcMizzou
04-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Anyone catch this tonight? The crew of the Time Bandit (great name) pulled a "man-overboard" from another boat out of the water. Pretty intense stuff.

El Jefe
04-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Awesome show have watched all the episodes since season 1. That would be a crazy job but worth it if you could meet all your quotas.

DJay23
04-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Son of a bitch, I totally forgot it was on. Luckily they replay it all weekend long.

Extra Point
04-24-2007, 09:04 PM
American Chopper is a puss show compared to The Most Dangerous Catch.

keg in kc
03-30-2016, 09:18 AM
So I started watching a couple months back when they had a marathon and now I'm proverbially hooked. Anybody catch the premiere last night?

ptlyon
03-30-2016, 09:19 AM
Oh ya you betcha

Shaid
03-30-2016, 09:38 AM
lol, 10 year old thread has now reached page 4. I watched it a lot a few years back but haven't seen it in probably 3 years or so now. Watching those gold shows lately. Gold Rush, Frozen Gold, etc. No idea why they interest me, but they do.

keg in kc
03-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Ain't nobody ever gonna accuse me of not using search!

Yeah I watched some Gold Rush. It's alright.

Lately been into Dual Survivor, Survivorman, and random car shit like street outlaws, fast n' loud and misfit garage. Which is weird because I don't really give a crap about cars. I think it's the personalities and conflict. The 'reality' tv trap.

BWillie
03-30-2016, 10:01 AM
So I started watching a couple months back when they had a marathon and now I'm proverbially hooked. Anybody catch the premiere last night?

Do they hunt any whales? What about sharks or other aquatic organisms? I used to watch Whale Wars, just so I could use cool whaler lingo.

SAUTO
03-30-2016, 11:38 AM
lol, 10 year old thread has now reached page 4. I watched it a lot a few years back but haven't seen it in probably 3 years or so now. Watching those gold shows lately. Gold Rush, Frozen Gold, etc. No idea why they interest me, but they do.

I don't know why I like, the gold shows but I do lol

Bugeater
03-30-2016, 11:58 AM

Lately been into Dual Survivor, Survivorman, and random car shit like street outlaws, fast n' loud and misfit garage. Which is weird because I don't really give a crap about cars. I think it's the personalities and conflict. The 'reality' tv trap.I liked Street Outlaws until they went to New Orleans. Those guys are a bunch of douchebags.

Deadliest Catch jumped the shark years ago.

frankotank
03-30-2016, 12:01 PM

Lately been into Dual Survivor, Survivorman, and random car shit like street outlaws, fast n' loud and misfit garage. Which is weird because I don't really give a crap about cars. I think it's the personalities and conflict. The 'reality' tv trap.

I gave up on deadliest catch a couple seasons ago. just seemed like same ole same ole all the time.

as for the car shows...your comment cracked me up. I'm the opposite. I love cars...so I watch the shows....but I DVR them so I can fast forward over the bullshit. I just wanna see the building and the finished product....so it's like I'm trying to avoid the "reality" aspect.

fyi IMO one of the best car shows is Overhaulin' with Chip Foose. they find a deserving soul and make badass shit for them! one of the coolest episodes was making a car for Marcus Luttrell who had the Lone Survivor movie made about him. apparently he and his twin brother made a bet when they were kids that when they turned 30 (or 35...or WHATEVER) the the twin with the LEAST money in his bank account would have to get the other twin the car of his dreams. so the "poor" twin gave Foose a holler.

ptlyon
03-30-2016, 12:07 PM
It will be interesting watching captain Keith implode this season after his divorce.

frankotank
03-30-2016, 12:15 PM
It will be interesting watching captain Keith implode this season after his divorce.

honestly....how in the hell has somebody not BEAT HIS ASS in all these seasons!?!?
he is easily the biggest prick on the entire show....hell he even shits on his brother. I can't believe some greenhorn hasn't just busted his ass yet.

Swanman
03-30-2016, 01:28 PM
honestly....how in the hell has somebody not BEAT HIS ASS in all these seasons!?!?
he is easily the biggest prick on the entire show....hell he even shits on his brother. I can't believe some greenhorn hasn't just busted his ass yet.

I went on a tour aboard the Aleutian Ballad several years back (boat that took a rogue wave in season 2 and was turned into a tourist boat). The fun fact we learned on the cruise was that Keith leases a lot of his quota from the guy that owned the Aleutian Ballad. So Keith goes out and catches all that crab and then sends some guy in Florida a bigass check every year. Also, one of the guys leading the cruise was the captain that took over on the Cornelia Marie after Phil died. He was the one that accused Jake of doing drugs on the boat (because he likely was) and the brothers fired him.

Bwana
03-30-2016, 01:38 PM

My brother ran into Jack Hoffman from Gold Rush last week in the Belize City airport, shot the crap with him for awhile and did the picture thing. Said He was a down to earth guy.

As far as the OP, I recorded it last night and will check it out later.

Bwana
03-30-2016, 01:42 PM

Yeah he's a douche. Once again I had a buddy that had the misfortune of sitting next to him on a fight a couple of years ago and he said all Keith did was bitch about the other captains along with several other things. He's one of those glass half empty guys that's a real drag to be around. I'm not surprised his wife kicked him to the curb, she had to be a saint putting up with him as long as she did.