PDA

View Full Version : If you live in the Kansas City area(retro version)...

ZepSinger
05-11-2006, 06:33 AM
What WAS your favorite bar and why? Could be from any year; bars come and go.
My personal favorite was the Lone Star (early '90s) in Westport. THE place to be for live rock. Runner-up was Backstage in OP for the same reason....
:rockon:

"Bob" Dobbs
05-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Back in the day, I recall crawling home from One Block West all the time.

teedubya
05-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Lone Star was great... but my personal favorite was, Lynn Dickey's. Lynn is my cousin, and I got in free, and was given a fair share of complimentary drinks when he was around. Plus, I met sooo much poontang there, it was ludicrous.

Being 19, and picking up hot, horny 30 year olds was quite a boost to my young ego. heh.

alpha_omega
05-11-2006, 03:13 PM
I can always count on Zep for a good flashback...

The Lone Star was #1 in my book...no substitutes!!!!!!! T'was the best rock in the city!

We did visit Backstage from time to time, but we always spent more time at Centerstage (closer to home).

splatbass
05-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Back in the day, I recall crawling home from One Block West all the time.

I remember Shooting Star playing at One Block West all the time before they got big.

nychief
05-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Lone Star was great... but my personal favorite was, Lynn Dickey's. Lynn is my cousin, and I got in free, and was given a fair share of complimentary drinks when he was around. Plus, I met sooo much poontang there, it was ludicrous.

Being 19, and picking up hot, horny 30 year olds was quite a boost to my young ego. heh.

lynn dickey's... a blast from the past.

nychief
05-11-2006, 05:41 PM
do they have to be out of business... got shit caned a lot at buzzard beach, kellys et al...

Braincase
05-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Pogo's in Wichita, as well as the College Inn, The Cedar Saloon, The Flicker Lounge, Fireside, The Embers...

Skip Towne
05-11-2006, 06:04 PM

Yeah, yeah, and Terry Beeson is your cousin too. Nevermind you misspelled his name.

teedubya
05-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah, yeah, and Terry Beeson is your cousin too. Nevermind you misspelled his name.

Terry Beeson is like a 4th cousin... and saw him only a couple times.

Lynn Dickey is my maternal grandma's nephew.

KC Jones
05-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I saw Jane's addiction at Lone Star (before they made it big obviously). However, most of the music at Lone Star was of the metal head variety and the crowd tended to be hicks from the burbs. (no offense to the metal head hicks from the burbs) :D

My regular drinking hole (where the nights usually started) was Fric and Frac way back when. I saw some great shows and had a lot of good times at Davey's Uptown Rambler's club. That would probably have been my favorite.

jspchief
05-11-2006, 08:45 PM
I used to go to a club near Westport called Atlantis (I think). Awesome meat market.

WilliamTheIrish
05-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Merry Go Round. Pogo's. The old Jimmy's Jigger by KU Med.
The original Johnny's Up and Under in North Larry...Got so drunk in there with a friend who worked for the UP, that we went across the street to the RR yard and fired up an engine.

..The good old days..

WilliamTheIrish
05-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Lynn Dickey's was a great place.

Megbert
05-11-2006, 09:20 PM
I used to go to the Hurricane alot and the Grand Emporium. Took my dad to see Dick Dale at the GE for his B-day. He had this negative image of that area till I took him there for that show. He then went there regularly to check out some blues. I remember Atlantis. Outside atlantis or whatever it was called at the time I almost got my ass kicked by some Racist prick skinheads oh the memories. Spent more time in Lawrence the Bottleneck, The Varsity, Jazzhouse etc. Oh yeah the best dance club in KC was Pogo's even though it was an under 21 club they played great 'alt' on Fridays for Club Pirranha.

I remember when I was in HS Faith No More played the Lonestar and being under 21 I couldn't get in - damn you KC and your age laws!!! Luckily I discovered Lawrence and saw many a great show before and after hitting 21.