PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Shopping Donny Edwards

philfree
05-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Heard it on the serius. I'd take him back at the right cost.

PhilFree:arrow:

Bowser
05-11-2006, 05:24 PM
What are the Chargers asking?

philfree
05-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I just heard while I was in my pick-up going to Wally World so I have no idea.

Sure-Oz
05-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I think it was a 2nd rounder....i heard this quite some time back...

keg in kc
they've been shopping him for weeks. last i heard was a 2nd rounder, which is ludicrous for an undersized 33-year old linebacker.

nychief
I like our young linebackers.

Bowser
05-11-2006, 05:29 PM

Yep.

sd4chiefs
05-11-2006, 05:29 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/graney/20060423-9999-1s23graney.html

UNION-TRIBUNE
April 23, 2006

True story: A colleague was called to jury duty the other day and questioning eventually focused on his employment. When told he worked for the Union-Tribune sports department, the judge wondered aloud:

“What are the Chargers doing with Donnie Edwards? They better not get rid of him. I love that guy.”

With the utmost respect to Her Honor: Get real.

Here we go again with the absurd loyalty card, the suggestion that an organization owes any allegiance to a player based on his past performance and, in the case of Edwards, the fact he is a San Diego native who has tirelessly devoted his time within the community. That last part is true and admirable. Edwards is enormously popular among fans and is actually one of the few Chargers linebackers not to be arrested the last week.

But no smarter words have been uttered of late than those by General Manager A.J. Smith: “I'm not interested in Donnie Edwards' seven-year tackling statistics.”

Exactly.

The notion that Edwards being dangled to the league has something to do with a rift between Smith and head coach Marty Schottenheimer is more preposterous than a reality cooking show with B-list celebrities. Consequently, neither Edwards' production on the field nor how passionately he has volunteered off it should determine whether the Chargers ultimately deal the 10-year veteran.

This is the part most never seem to accurately grasp: Smith as a GM might as well be another suit working the angles for J.P. Morgan. His primary concern should always be to buy low, sell high and afford his organization the absolute best opportunity to win. That might be difficult even if another team comes calling for Edwards, whose highest trade value was likely two years ago.

ith is hoping for a second-round draft pick in return but in truth should perform cartwheels around the team's Murphy Canyon complex for a third-rounder, given the fact Edwards (despite being an incredibly durable player who has competed in all 64 games as a Charger and who has missed only two Sundays in his career) will be nearing 34 when his contract expires following next season.

Skip Towne
05-11-2006, 05:33 PM
they've been shopping him for weeks. last i heard was a 2nd rounder, which is ludicrous for an undersized 33-year old linebacker.
33? I think he is closer to my age.

philfree
05-11-2006, 05:36 PM

Me too but Ewards playing on the right would make us better and we also need more depth. Last year when Fox went down we didn;t play near as much 3-4 as was planned.

chiefsfaninNC
05-11-2006, 05:40 PM
33? I think he is closer to my age.

No one lives that long.

nychief
05-11-2006, 05:42 PM
gun would love it.... but he is ancient for a LB. I would not give up anything. I would wait to see if they release him....

Skip Towne
05-11-2006, 05:49 PM
DE really got bashed on here when he played for us. Smartass comments about him getting dragged 5 yards on every tackle. And "He looks like he's on skis" were prevalent. Now we want to buy him back.

Braincase
05-11-2006, 05:52 PM
He'll be available June 1. Wait and see.

Sure-Oz
05-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Donnie Edwards was our 2nd gen. Tracy Simeon

Logical
05-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Ancient news, this has been true for over a month and was widely reported by all networks the week before the draft.

Logical
05-11-2006, 06:20 PM

Nope won't happen AJ has said they are going to keep him if they don't trade him. This is the last year of his contract and there is absolutely no cap advantage to releasing him. They are asking for a 3rd rounder for him but wanted that in this years draft. Now that that window has passed they may ask for more since they would be getting no value this year from the trade.

philfree
05-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Ancient news, this has been true for over a month and was widely reported by all networks the week before the draft.

I never read it here and I just heard it so it's not ancient to me. I'd give a 3rd rounder for Donnie.

philfree
05-11-2006, 06:35 PM
DE really got bashed on here when he played for us. Smartass comments about him getting dragged 5 yards on every tackle. And "He looks like he's on skis" were prevalent. Now we want to buy him back.

Yes he did but I wasn't a basher. I did make a post or two about his whining about not making the pro bowl but I'd take him back none the less.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-11-2006, 06:38 PM
He's worth no more than a 6th rounder on the market.

Iowanian
05-11-2006, 06:42 PM
He'll be cut June 1, and I don't think I'd want a 33 year old undersized LB anyway.

Thanks for the 90s donnie, but no thanks.

philfree
05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
He'll be cut June 1, and I don't think I'd want a 33 year old undersized LB anyway.

Thanks for the 90s donnie, but no thanks.

Has Edwards shown any signs of slowing down? I haven't noticed it if he has. He's a good player still and that's all that matters isn't it? Not perfect so yeah he'll get drug a yard or two evey now and then but he makes lot's and lot's of plays. Lot's of INTs. He'll be a plus wherever he plays.

CoMoChief
05-11-2006, 06:49 PM
What we should have done is not let him go 5 seasons ago.

Logical
05-11-2006, 06:50 PM
I never read it here and I just heard it so it's not ancient to me. I'd give a 3rd rounder for Donnie.

PhilFree:arrow:I doubt they will take a 3rd for next years draft, they don't want to let him go according AJ Smith, they just hoped to get some value for him before his contract runs out as they do not want to give him a contract extension at his current age and their is no cap advantage to releasing him since this is the final year of his contract.

philfree
05-11-2006, 06:55 PM
I doubt they will take a 3rd for next years draft, they don't want to let him go according AJ Smith, they just hoped to get some value for him before his contract runs out as they do not want to give him a contract extension at his current age and their is no cap advantage to releasing him since this is the final year of his contract.

Prolly work out that way.

Iowanian
05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
phil,

I liked Donnie Edwards when he was here, other than the whole downfield dragging thing.

What part of "Getting this team younger" am I misunderstanding...when people want to bring in a 32 year old corner(law) and now a 33 year old OLB?

I don't see it happening...not in a youth movement. Give me Fox.

Halfcan
05-11-2006, 09:02 PM
We don't need him we have Scanlon.

greg63
05-11-2006, 09:17 PM
We don't need him we have Scanlon.

...And that's all we need!

beer bacon
05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't mind having Donnie Edwards in our defense, but I don't know who the hell this Donny Edwards guy is. What position does he play?

alanm
05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
...And that's all we need!That and maybe someone to carry his jock for him.

2bikemike
05-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Well about the only good thing I can see about taking Donnie Edwards back now would be that the autographed Edwards Jersey I got hangin in my closet would be useable again.

CHENZ A!
05-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Don't want this guy... He is a Charger, and will be even after he retires, I see him going to all of their alumni events and what not, and hardly visiting KC.

milkman
05-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Has Edwards shown any signs of slowing down? I haven't noticed it if he has. He's a good player still and that's all that matters isn't it? Not perfect so yeah he'll get drug a yard or two evey now and then but he makes lot's and lot's of plays. Lot's of INTs. He'll be a plus wherever he plays.

Of course DE is not getting any slower.

The RBs he's hitching a ride with are still young.

The Bad Guy
05-11-2006, 10:01 PM

No, he won't.

Since he is in the final year of his deal, there are zero cap savings waiting till June 1st to cut a player as opposed to before.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2006, 10:08 PM
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2005-09/19417830.jpg

Blackened
05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Marty already stated that he would not be traded within the division.
And I doubt very seriously if he will be cut.
Problem is IMO, Marty almost has to move him now, that is why there
are no takers for his current 2nd round DP asking price.
I look for the asking price to go down to about a fourth rounder,
and for him to wind up in the NFC.

htismaqe
05-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Any team that would give up a draft pick for this guy is dumb.

Bob Dole
05-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Well about the only good thing I can see about taking Donnie Edwards back now would be that the autographed Edwards Jersey I got hangin in my closet would be useable again.

Same with the pennant in Bob Dole's computer room.

big nasty kcnut
05-12-2006, 03:32 PM
No

KingPriest2
05-12-2006, 05:27 PM
this is old news about a month or two

greg63
05-12-2006, 09:24 PM
That and maybe someone to carry his jock for him.

ROFL