PDA

View Full Version : Should we just change this forum to Tool planet?

PunkinDrublic
05-12-2006, 01:53 PM
I like em too but good God man there are other bands to talk about. You guys are as giddy as a bunch of schoolgirls when their favorite boy band is in town. I wouldn't be suprised to see a thread entitled "Tool lead guitarist winked at me during a guitar solo." :)

Just kidding btw, I just got the new album and I can't stop playing it.

DMAC
05-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Sure, make a TOOL sub-forum, and make htismaqe put it on. :p

chagrin
05-12-2006, 01:59 PM
I agree, but it's mostly because the album's out - I can't wait to hear it.

chagrin
05-12-2006, 02:00 PM
shows you the difference between real musicians and the crap we are subjected to daily, on most tv commercials, radio stations and movies.

DMAC
05-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I agree, but it's mostly because the album's out - I can't wait to hear it.Am I reading your post wrong? Have you not heard 10000 days yet?

StcChief
05-12-2006, 02:14 PM
I'll leave my tools in the garage.

chagrin
05-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Am I reading your post wrong? Have you not heard 10000 days yet?

You are correct sir

DMAC
05-12-2006, 02:52 PM
You are correct sirHow come? I will send you $10 if you are broke.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-12-2006, 03:00 PM
When a band has a large group of fans and puts albums out at about 1 every 5 years, when it happens expect nothing less than this.

KcMizzou
05-12-2006, 04:27 PM
How come? I will send you $10 if you are broke.Hey, I'm broke.

Reaper16
05-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Tool are one of the best band in rock. They basically put out albums every 5 years, which kind of builds anticipation a little bit, and they never fail to be tremendous accomplishments. 10,000 Days deserves all of this discussion. It is superb.

People could talk about other music, but they probably don't care to find it. Enslaved's new album, "Runn," gives 10,000 Days a run for its money, but no one on this board will probably ever listen to it aside from me.

Reaper16
05-12-2006, 06:59 PM
People could talk about other music, but they probably don't care to find it. Enslaved's new album, "Runn," gives 10,000 Days a run for its money, but no one on this board will probably ever listen to it aside from me.
Which, after listening to it again, is a crime against humanity. Enslaved are really, really, really, really good.

htismaqe
05-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Tool hasn't had a fresh idea in a decade.

Neither apparently has PunkinDrublic. :D

DMAC
05-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Tool hasn't had a fresh idea in a decade.
From what you posted in that other TOOL thread, it sounds like you havent listened to them in a decade.

DMAC
05-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Which, after listening to it again, is a crime against humanity. Enslaved are really, really, really, really good.
Are they the folk metal we were talking about? If not, what style are they and I will check them out.

If they are death metal I won't though.

Halfcan
05-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, lets talk about how awesome Rush is, and without their influence, Tool would still be working at Mcdonalds-lol

DMAC
05-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Which, after listening to it again, is a crime against humanity. Enslaved are really, really, really, really good.Yeah, that guys voice is just a little toooooo creepy for me. Yikes!

Reaper16
05-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Are they the folk metal we were talking about? If not, what style are they and I will check them out.

If they are death metal I won't though.
No, that was Agalloch. Enslaved are Black Metal. Early on, they played a bit of folk inspired black metal, but their recent (and excellent) albums "Isa" and "Runn" are a more progressive black metal.

Harsh vocals are a turn off for a lot of people. Couple that with the black metal genre of music being essentially the most extreme, abrasive form of music known to man, and you have something not readily accessible. I feel, because of the progressive elements and Enslaved's overall pwnag3, that their incredible muscianship is undeniable.

Reaper16
05-12-2006, 10:59 PM
From what you posted in that other TOOL thread, it sounds like you havent listened to them in a decade.
Rep; and I hate giving rep to citizens of St. Louis.

DMAC
05-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Rep; and I hate giving rep to citizens of St. Louis.I am trying to get transferred back down to Springfield. I was forced here a year ago. I am not a citizen, I am a foreigner.

Reaper16
05-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I am trying to get transferred back down to Springfield. I was forced here a year ago. I am not a citizen, I am a foreigner.
If you retain fandom of the Cardinals, then it doesn't matter :harumph: :p

htismaqe
05-13-2006, 10:02 AM

It was a joke. Lighten up, Francis.

Why are Tool fans so uptight?

DMAC
05-13-2006, 10:48 AM

Why are Tool fans so uptight?Who says I'm uptight? I was just speaking the facts. I'm just trying to help you discover an amazing album. I am helpful; I'm your helpul neighborhood DMAC. :)

Nightwish
05-13-2006, 11:54 AM
I like em too but good God man there are other bands to talk about. You guys are as giddy as a bunch of schoolgirls when their favorite boy band is in town. I wouldn't be suprised to see a thread entitled "Tool lead guitarist winked at me during a guitar solo." :)

Just kidding btw, I just got the new album and I can't stop playing it.
I agree. I was trying to figure out what was up with the sudden Tool stroke-fest myself. I mean, they're a good band, in fact, they're a very good band. But they're not that good. I certainly wouldn't call them great. They could be great, though, if Maynard were a little less full of himself.

Nightwish
05-13-2006, 11:58 AM
If you retain fandom of the Cardinals, then it doesn't matter :harumph: :pFor what it's worth, I'm a citizen of St. Louis (it's a great city to live in, which surprised me, because as a KC sports fan, I thought I'd hate it here), but I'm definitely not a Cardinals fan. I must be a masochist, because I'm still loyal to the Royals. In football, I'm a Rams fan, but not when they're playing the Chiefs! And I'd have to admit I'm a fair-weather Rams fan, at best, unlike the Chiefs, who I'll support with blind loyalty no matter how bad they do. I suspect my sports identity crisis comes from having lived most of my teen and adult life in Springfield.

DMAC
05-13-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm a fair-weather Rams fan.
Just like all the other Rams fans, who show up to the games with their collared shirts and slacks, golf clapping when they score a TD.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-13-2006, 12:57 PM

Why are Tool fans so uptight?

ROFL DMAC I like you, but that was funny

Reaper16
05-13-2006, 01:33 PM
For what it's worth, I'm a citizen of St. Louis (it's a great city to live in, which surprised me, because as a KC sports fan, I thought I'd hate it here), but I'm definitely not a Cardinals fan. I must be a masochist, because I'm still loyal to the Royals. In football, I'm a Rams fan, but not when they're playing the Chiefs! And I'd have to admit I'm a fair-weather Rams fan, at best, unlike the Chiefs, who I'll support with blind loyalty no matter how bad they do. I suspect my sports identity crisis comes from having lived most of my teen and adult life in Springfield.
I think you've denied Cardinals fandom before, whcih explains why I've always liked you.

htismaqe
05-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Who says I'm uptight? I was just speaking the facts. I'm just trying to help you discover an amazing album. I am helpful; I'm your helpul neighborhood DMAC. :)

Tell you what. I'll go pick it up and listen to it with an open mind, just for you and Reaper. :thumb:

Reaper16
05-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Tell you what. I'll go pick it up and listen to it with an open mind, just for you and Reaper. :thumb:
It's a tad difficult to get into. I know it took me a couple of listens to get a total grasp of everything going on. You shouldn't be dissapointed.

htismaqe
05-13-2006, 04:13 PM
It's a tad difficult to get into. I know it took me a couple of listens to get a total grasp of everything going on. You shouldn't be dissapointed.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Is the structure complex or is the sound just layered?

I usually listen to stuff that I expect to be like that on head phones the first time so I don't miss anything.

Reaper16
05-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.

Is the structure complex or is the sound just layered?

I usually listen to stuff that I expect to be like that on head phones the first time so I don't miss anything.
It's the composition and structure, for the most part. Difficult time signatures aplenty, because Tool are incredible musicians and play progressive music.

This album is odd in the way that the 1st track, Vicarious (the lead single) seemed simple for a Tool song at first, but a couple of further listens with intent revealed it's deeper intricacies.

htismaqe
05-13-2006, 06:58 PM
It's the composition and structure, for the most part. Difficult time signatures aplenty, because Tool are incredible musicians and play progressive music.

This album is odd in the way that the 1st track, Vicarious (the lead single) seemed simple for a Tool song at first, but a couple of further listens with intent revealed it's deeper intricacies.

ROFL

The odd time signatures are part of what ultimately turned me off. I used to be into complexity alot...now I'm more of a straight 4:4 guy...

DMAC
05-13-2006, 08:45 PM
ROFL

The odd time signatures are part of what ultimately turned me off. I used to be into complexity alot...now I'm more of a straight 4:4 guy...It doesnt sound complicated after the 2nd or 3rd listen. Really. I think you will enjoy it, let me know what you think after you listen to it a few times.