PDA

View Full Version : Tragic news; Martin Lopez leaves Opeth

Reaper16
05-12-2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=52209

OPETH: Drummer MARTIN LOPEZ Is Officially Out - May 12, 2006
After several months away from his drumming duties in OPETH, Martin Lopez has permanently decided to leave the group. After being plagued by illness and anxiety attacks Lopez decided he wanted to concentrate fully on his own project, currently unnamed. His replacement will be Martin "Axe" Axenrot, who's been filling in for the last five tours and who also recorded with the band during the recent BBC sessions.

Commented OPETH frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt: "However sad I and the rest of the band feel in light of Lopez's departure, I want to thank him for his incredible work with OPETH and immense dedication to the band. We recorded some classic stuff together and he obviously had an enormous impact on our sound. I now feel very excited to hear the material of his own band. In the meantime, OPETH fans can rest assured that we'll continue jamming it out with Axe and we all have high expectations about our coming musical ventures."

In other news, Roadrunner Records will issue a special-edition deluxe version of OPETH's latest album, "Ghost Reveries", on July 25. More details will be made available soon.

This sucks. Martin Lopez is one of the best drummers on the planet, but he's been too sick to do anything musically for so long. I wish him the best, and I hope that this works out for Opeth - the best band in the world.

ChiefFripp
05-12-2006, 06:42 PM
I wonder if Mendez will join him shortly. They are lifelong friends and he may feel more loyalty towards Lopez than Opeth. This is indeed bad news.

Reaper16
05-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I wonder if Mendez will join him shortly. They are lifelong friends and he may feel more loyalty towards Lopez than Opeth. This is indeed bad news.
Lopez is leaving due to health, I wouldn't think that there is a loyalty conflict for Mendez to weigh. Lopez made his decision for the good of the band, he felt.