PDA

View Full Version : Post-NFL draft theories and analysis

teedubya
05-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Post-NFL draft theories and analysis
BY GARY MYERS
New York Daily News

NEW YORK - A blue-ribbon panel of nine top executives put together by the New York Daily News was surprisingly split on whether the Jets should have taken D'Brickashaw Ferguson over Matt Leinart and if the Texans blew it by passing on Reggie Bush.

Two weeks ago, these seemed to be no-brainers: Leinart should be a Jet. Bush should be a Texan.

But the Jets and Texans each received more support from their peers than anticipated, considering the Jets' shaky QB situation and projections that Bush will be the NFL's Michael Jordan. The panel was nearly unanimous, however, proclaiming Jay Cutler wound up in a better situation than Leinart and Vince Young.

Here are the results:

Should the Jets have taken Leinart instead of D'Brickashaw Ferguson?

Yes: 5

No: 4

The Jets liked Leinart, but not enough to take him at No. 4. Instead, after taking Ferguson, GM Mike Tannenbaum called the Lions in an attempt to move up from No. 29 to No. 9 to get Leinart, but did not offer enough. Five panelists say the Jets should have drafted Leinart when they had the chance. One panelist said his team had Leinart rated ``as the best quarterback prospect since Peyton Manning.''

Did the Jets make a big mistake? ``In my opinion, yes,'' one GM said. ``I just don't believe in taking offensive linemen that high. Ferguson is not one of those can't-miss guys. I don't put him in the class of Walter Jones, Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden. The Jets don't have a quarterback. They don't have one. Leinart could have been Joe Willie (Namath).''

Leinart would have gotten off to a Namath start to his Jets career after reports linked him and Paris Hilton as an item.

Another GM said he had Leinart in the top four on his draft board and if he was running the Jets, he would have taken him. Still, another GM said the Jets' decision to take Ferguson "was a great football decision. He's a great football player. He's a rare, rare football player. The fact he's a left tackle - that is vital in being successful. It was a sound decision for a team that has a new beginning."

Another GM said, ``I didn't love Leinart. But he's got a chance. He looks the part. What I liked about him is when the game is on the line, he never failed.''

Did the Texans make a mistake passing on Bush and taking Mario Williams?

Yes: 5

No: 4

The Texans shook up the top of the draft when they announced 16 hours before kickoff that they signed Williams to a six-year, $54 million contract, including $26.5 million guaranteed. Why did the Texans bail out on Bush? They have insisted it was strictly a decision of defense over offense, of finding a way to stop Manning, who they face twice a year.

There are two other theories:

Texans owner Bob McNair mandated that the pick be signed before the draft. Bush was going to be tougher to sign. McNair said they had the same offer on the table for Bush and Williams, and was confident they could sign Bush. The Texans put too much emphasis on getting the pick signed before the draft. It's not like there's another league that Bush could use as leverage.

The Texans were scared off by the story about Bush's parents' rental house and what could be next in a mess that is not going away so fast. ``People told me it was not signability,'' one GM said. ``A couple of people have told me they were really worried about all this controversy.''

``I don't think the Texans blew it,'' another GM said. ``We all know what happened. The company line was this was a football decision. There is no question in my mind it was the off-the-field things. You either ignore it or you don't. I would have done exactly what Houston did.''

This is a tough sell for the Texans. Their fans wanted Vince Young, the Texas QB who is from Houston. They were pacified thinking they were getting Bush. Now they get Williams, who may end up being an elite pass rusher in the NFL, but comes with a reputation for not playing hard every down.

``The Texans lost sight of the big picture,'' one GM said. ``You just don't pass on a franchise player. You can't pass on Reggie Bush. It's that simple.''

Which of the three first-round quarterbacks is in the best situation?

Jay Cutler, Broncos: 7

Matt Leinart, Cardinals: 1

Vince Young, Texans: 1

Cutler, the last of the three taken, was drafted into the best situation, much like Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger, the third QB taken two years ago. Mike Shanahan is an excellent quarterbacks coach, always has a good running game and offensive line and the Broncos are not afraid to spend money. Cutler can sit for a while behind Jake Plummer.

``Good coach, good system,'' one GM said. ``The other two have to save the franchise.''

Leinart, once he takes over for Kurt Warner, which shouldn't be long, will be surrounded by an explosive group: Edgerrin James, Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. But the Cardinals don't have a good offensive line and have won one playoff game since 1947.

One of the attractions for Young in Tennessee was getting to work with mentor Steve McNair. But McNair will be gone by training camp. The Titans coaches wanted Leinart and GM Floyd Reese wanted him. That will make it uncomfortable. Young may have to play right away, too.

Hoover
05-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Leinart is in the best position IMO. Denny Green is great for QB, plus he has a top running back and 2 stud WRs, all of them are locked up for the next 4 year.

Now if you think that sitting on the bench for the next two years is a good situation, then yeah, Cutler.

teedubya
05-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Leinart is in the best position IMO. Denny Green is great for QB, plus he has a top running back and 2 stud WRs, all of them are locked up for the next 4 year.

Now if you think that sitting on the bench for the next two years is a good situation, then yeah, Cutler.

Plus, seems to me, that being forced to play for the Donkos is the worst possible case scenario for an NFL player. Really shitty to get drafted by them.

Leinart should be able to prove his worth immediately... hopefully they can assemble something that resembles an offensive line soon.

KChiefs1
05-13-2006, 01:18 PM
The QB I believe that will eventually be the best of all of the QB's drafted will be Brodie Croyle. This kid has a rocket for an arm. His arm motion is quick & probably had the quickest release of any QB's drafted. He already has a grasp on how to use his feet. He uses his feet to slide side to side avoiding the pass rush like a veteran. He can throw the short pass & the long pass both with equal accuracy. Give him two years behind Trent Green & I guarantee you that this kid is going to be something special.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 01:18 PM
being forced to play for the Donkos is the worst possible case scenario for an NFL player. Really shitty to get drafted by them.

Man, take off your homer glasses. Cutler is in the perfect situation. Mike Shanahan has a solid track record when it comes to QBs. And the Broncos are a winning team, so there's no pressure on Cutler to perform immediately.

Demonpenz
05-13-2006, 01:30 PM
that throw lienart throw over the shoulder to the RB during hte ND game was a ballsiest plays i have scene

Tribal Warfare
05-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Reggie Bush is lucky that he's on a team with another top tier RB, because IMO Bush has some issues to be answered if he can havdle the load for a full season. Now, he's on a team with Deuce McAllister Bush won't be exposed.

ck_IN
05-13-2006, 01:39 PM
<i>Leinart is in the best position</i>

You can't be serious. 'Zona is where careers go to die. They've got some decent skill O players but their O line is swiss cheese. Leinart will take over because Warner will get killed.

milkman
05-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Man, take off your homer glasses. Cutler is in the perfect situation. Mike Shanahan has a solid track record when it comes to QBs. And the Broncos are a winning team, so there's no pressure on Cutler to perform immediately.

While I agree that Cutler is in the best situation of the three top QBs taken in this draft, saying that the Rat has a solid track record when it comes to QBs is ignoring two simple facts.

Brian Greise and Jake Plummer.

milkman
05-13-2006, 02:20 PM
<i>Leinart is in the best position</i>

You can't be serious. 'Zona is where careers go to die. They've got some decent skill O players but their O line is swiss cheese. Leinart will take over because Warner will get killed.

Ideally, Lienart can sit for a season behind Brenda's stock boy, and the Cards can address their O-Line next offseason.

But you're probably right.
Lienart will probably be rushed because because Warner will be injured.

CupidStunt
05-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Man, take off your homer glasses.

You mean it's not cool to homer it up, Brodie Montana? :shake:

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 03:01 PM
While I agree that Cutler is in the best situation of the three top QBs taken in this draft, saying that the Rat has a solid track record when it comes to QBs is ignoring two simple facts.

Brian Greise and Jake Plummer.

Are you kidding me?

Griese looked great when he had decent protection. And Plummer? Are you kidding me? What Shanahan has done with Plummer is nothing short of amazing. They got to the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME with him.

blueballs
05-13-2006, 03:06 PM
the rat with out #7
is a trading frenzy
if he falls below 500
off will come his head

htismaqe
05-13-2006, 04:06 PM

There's only one pair of homer glasses here, Bronco fan, and you're wearing them...

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 04:12 PM
There's only one pair of homer glasses here, Bronco fan, and you're wearing them...

Bah. Don't label me as a Bronco fan. I'm not saying Brian Griese and Jake Plummer are good quarterbacks. I'm merely saying that Mike Shanahan did a good job fielding winning teams with them. He took guys with marginal talent and got the best out of them. Now think what he can do with a stud like Cutler.

Leinart is on a team with a bad offensive line and a bad defense. In a poor football town. And all the pressure is on him, because Warner is a joke.

htismaqe
05-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Bah. Don't label me as a Bronco fan. I'm not saying Brian Griese and Jake Plummer are good quarterbacks. I'm merely saying that Mike Shanahan did a good job fielding winning teams with them. He took guys with marginal talent and got the best out of them. Now think what he can do with a stud like Cutler.

Leinart is on a team with a bad offensive line and a bad defense. In a poor football town. And all the pressure is on him, because Warner is a joke.

Those teams won in spite of their QB's.

The key to the Broncos is zone blocking and solid defense.

Cutler is a project, not a stud. And I expect we'll see more of the same from him - cut the field in half and run the ball.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 04:16 PM
The key to the Broncos is zone blocking and solid defense.

Exactly. Cutler's in a great situation.