PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I counted up all my spare change.

Rain Man
05-13-2006, 04:21 PM
I have a couple of jars/jugs where I throw my spare change every night. Every once in a while, I'll roll some of it, take it to the bank, and convert it to paper currency, which I'll then throw back into the jar/jug. The historical use of this money has been to support the Rain Man vacation fund.

Well, I haven't used the travel fund in probably six or seven years. So I went to the bank last week and I got some of those little coin roller papers, and I went to work last night while I was watching Seinfeld. The final tally?

$499.185

This includes 15 cents of Canadian money, along with a half-penny from 1799 that I bought on a visit to Mount Vernon a few years ago.

I was actually thinking it might be more, but this is still good. It'll buy half of a plane ticket to South America.

Anyone else keep a change jar?

tk13
05-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Awesome. Now you can afford about six gallons of gas.

jspchief
05-13-2006, 04:26 PM
I have a couple of jars/jugs where I throw my spare change every night. Every once in a while, I'll roll some of it, take it to the bank, and convert it to paper currency, which I'll then throw back into the jar/jug. The historical use of this money has been to support the Rain Man vacation fund.

Well, I haven't used the travel fund in probably six or seven years. So I went to the bank last week and I got some of those little coin roller papers, and I went to work last night while I was watching Seinfeld. The final tally?

$499.185

This includes 15 cents of Canadian money, along with a half-penny from 1799 that I bought on a visit to Mount Vernon a few years ago.

I was actually thinking it might be more, but this is still good. It'll buy half of a plane ticket to South America.

Anyone else keep a change jar?Only $500 in 6 or 7 years?

I fill a wine carafe that adds up to about $125 per trip, and empty it at least twice per year.

I also use cash almost exclusively, and I never take a coin out of my pocket unless it's going in the jar. So basically I maximize my change gains, while minimizing losses.

I used to do this with all my one dollar bills too. Until I took over 1k in ones into the bank, and got a lecture about it.

Rain Man
05-13-2006, 04:27 PM
If I lived as a hobo and traveled with a bedroll and ate only corn on the cob, I'll bet I could fund a six-month walk across America.

Rain Man
05-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Only $500 in 6 or 7 years?

I fill a wine carafe that adds up to about $125 per trip, and empty it at least twice per year.

I also use cash almost exclusively, and I never take a coin out of my pocket unless it's going in the jar. So basically I maximize my change gains, while minimizing losses.

I used to do this with all my one dollar bills too. Until I took over 1k in ones into the bank, and got a lecture about it.

I almost never use cash. I'll walk around with $40 in my billfold for a month sometimes. The credit card company could probably map my every move for the last ten years.

jspchief
05-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Did they tell you that if you have a thousand singles you're supposed to take them to a strip club, not the bank?No, but I told the teller I earned them through stripping.

cdcox
05-13-2006, 05:23 PM
I've been hoarding state quarters. I've decided to keep the ones in the folder, but cash in the rest. I probably have $300 to $400.

Adept Havelock
05-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I've been hoarding state quarters. I've decided to keep the ones in the folder, but cash in the rest. I probably have $300 to $400.

I remember doing that with Bicentennial quarters back in '76. I still remember lugging in all those damn things to the bank in '78 or '79, only to find the automatic coin sorter was on the fritz. :cuss:

milkman
05-13-2006, 05:55 PM
No, but I told the teller I earned them through stripping.

Did she laugh derisively?

KC Jones
05-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Why bother rolling it yourself?

Your bank has a machine to take care of that. Just take your jar in and they'll direct you to another counter where someone will take the jug, dump it in the machine and give you a chit for the value. They'll also give you back the pieces of lint, foreign currency, toothpicks, etc. that may have found their way into your jar.

Years ago I waited tables in a breakfast diner - I made regular hauls to the bank with $300+ worth of coinage.

JimNasium
05-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Kevin, that's crazy. My latest bar tab is exactly $499.18. Can I have a loan?

4th and Long
05-13-2006, 06:57 PM
I have a GIGANTIC Chiefs bottle (used to be filled with popcorn) that is now my spare change receptacle. I only throw pennies, nickles and dimes in it, as I almost always have a day to day use for quarters. I emptied it out 2 years ago, when it was about 1/2 full, rolled everything and came up with a couple hundred bucks. It's now about 1/2 full again.

Tig O Bittys
05-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Rain Man -

These are NOT for Storing your Loose change....

http://www.drbongs.com/product_descriptions/bongs/images/glass_bong_2b_19cm_big.jpg

Phobia
05-13-2006, 07:08 PM
If I ever find out where you guys live I'm definitely breaking in for your change jars.

jspchief
05-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Did she laugh derisively?No, but she may have thrown up in her mouth a little.

Bob Dole
05-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Change is a two-way street. First Citiwide Bank should be your change bank.

VonneMarie
05-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Rain Man -

These are NOT for Storing your Loose change....

http://www.drbongs.com/product_descriptions/bongs/images/glass_bong_2b_19cm_big.jpg
ROFL

Rain Man
05-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Why bother rolling it yourself?

Your bank has a machine to take care of that. Just take your jar in and they'll direct you to another counter where someone will take the jug, dump it in the machine and give you a chit for the value. They'll also give you back the pieces of lint, foreign currency, toothpicks, etc. that may have found their way into your jar.

Years ago I waited tables in a breakfast diner - I made regular hauls to the bank with $300+ worth of coinage.

Sure, but half the fun is rolling them. It's like Christmas morning in reverse.

chief52
05-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Only $500 in 6 or 7 years?

Never thought about throwing ones in. I have a 5 gal. water bottle about half full of change. I think I will start throwing ones in there was well. Seems like I always pull out a larger bill to pay for things anyway.

Why did the bank lecture you about it? Screw them...that is their job.

Skip Towne
05-13-2006, 09:19 PM
I have a large beer mug and a smaller beer mug that I use. They hold about $70 when both are full. No quarters in there though. I throw all quarters in a baggie in my van for car washes, toll roads, etc.

KCChiefsMan
05-13-2006, 09:22 PM
I keep a trip fund as well....but my bank has a machine and I don't have to roll the coins...that would kinda suck