PDA

View Full Version : Printers, Croyle battle...

The Poz
05-13-2006, 09:31 PM
...for shot at being Chiefs QB of the future.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/14573400.htm

Who will be the 2nd stringer? Printers gets my vote.

milkman
05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
I don't think it matters where they are in the depth chart this season, so much as where they are in two to three years.

I prefer the pocket passer that has the ability to step, or slide, away from pressure, to the guy that tucks the ball and runs.

I haven't yet seen a running QB win a SB.

pr_capone
05-13-2006, 09:49 PM
I don't think it matters where they are in the depth chart this season, so much as where they are in two to three years.

I prefer the pocket passer that has the ability to step, or slide, away from pressure, to the guy that tucks the ball and runs.

I haven't yet seen a running QB win a SB.

True, but Vick made it to the SB tho.

milkman
05-13-2006, 09:51 PM

Yeah, I'm sure he had tickets.

Phobia
05-13-2006, 10:05 PM
I know it was only 2 practices but Croyle won me today. This from a guy who has seen 4 hours of CFL highlights from Casey Printers.

alanm
05-13-2006, 10:06 PM
He wasn't in the league when Atlanta was in the SB back in 98. :shake:

TRR
05-13-2006, 10:18 PM
KC needs to dump Huard, and let Printers and Croyle be 2 and 3....not in any particular order. Even if Green were to go down, Huard isn't going to win any more games for KC than Croyle or Printers would. Huard looked horrible against 3rd team defenses the last couple of years.

KChiefs1
05-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Brodie Croyle will be the next Joe Montana/Tom Brady of the NFL world.

The QB I believe that will eventually be the best of all of the QB's drafted will be Brodie Croyle. Croyle's has one of the strongest arms for any of the QB's drafted this year. During the Senior Bowl he was the only QB to not have any problems with the wind. His arm motion is quick & probably had the quickest release of any QB's drafted. He already has a grasp on how to use his feet. He uses his feet to slide side to side avoiding the pass rush like a veteran. He can throw the short pass & the long pass both with equal accuracy. Give him two years behind Trent Green & I guarantee you that this kid is going to be something special.

milkman
05-13-2006, 10:21 PM
KC needs to dump Huard, and let Printers and Croyle be 2 and 3....not in any particular order. Even if Green were to go down, Huard isn't going to win any more games for KC than Croyle or Printers would. Huard looked horrible against 3rd team defenses the last couple of years.

I agree.
But I just can't envision Hermie going into the season with two NFL rookie backup QBs.

Taco John
05-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Hmmm... I was worried that we'd end up with Croyle.

Bowser
05-13-2006, 10:27 PM

I was worried the Donks wouldn't trade up and draft Cutler.

Taco John
05-13-2006, 10:30 PM
So was I.

SLAG
05-13-2006, 10:32 PM
sounds like killian is done :sulk:

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 10:32 PM

You're so full of shit. Croyle is tearing it up in mini-camps. If he stays healthy he's going to be a great quarterback.

Phobia
05-13-2006, 10:34 PM
sounds like killian is done :sulk:

Duh.

After the Chiefs drafted Croyle, Herm kept alluding to the fact that the Chiefs had 4 QB's. Killian's name never got mentioned. Sucks to be him.

Taco John
05-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Sorry... I just see the guy as the next Chad Pennington... Really promising, but too injury prone to make a difference. I would have probably put on my best face about it if we had drafted him in the third round, but I'd have been nervous about the whole deal thinking we might be repeating the Griese experiment...

Some pre-draft comments on Croyle:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=40962

Taco John
05-13-2006, 10:36 PM
You're so full of shit. Croyle is tearing it up in mini-camps. If he stays healthy he's going to be a great quarterback.

Taco John
05-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Hey GoChiefs... Give my congratulations to Croyle on winning the minicamp Superbowl.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Sorry... I just see the guy as the next Chad Pennington... Really promising, but too injury prone to make a difference.

Croyle took a beating at Alabama, even during his senior season in which he missed zero games.

The comparison to Chad Pennington is ludicrous. Croyle has a rocket arm, and his injuries are mostly in his legs. He's not going to take a beating in the NFL like he did in college.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Was Chad even injured in college?

Taco John
05-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Croyle took a beating at Alabama, even during his senior season in which he missed zero games.

The comparison to Chad Pennington is ludicrous. Croyle has a rocket arm, and his injuries are mostly in his legs. He's not going to take a beating in the NFL like he did in college.

No, this is ludicrous (http://www.misionurbana.com/artistas/Ludacris/wallpapers/ludacris4_1024.jpg)...

I'm not sure what you think that you know that every NFL scouting report written this year about Croyle doesn't know, but according to them and you, Croyle is a health concern.

If he stays healthy he's going to be a great quarterback.

What's funny is you indicating that he has a health concern, and then telling me that its ludicrous that I didn't want him because I was worried about his health concern.

KChiefs1
05-13-2006, 10:49 PM

SENIOR BOWL OBSERVATIONS:

-Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt-Ok, if anyone watched ESPN or the NFL Network, Jay Cutler was dubbed the star of the class before the game. But his showing in the game was not all that impressive. He does have a cannon for an arm but tends to make too many risks and needs to work on his presence in the pocket. Moved Slightly Down-Still a 1st-rounder, albeit a possible Miami Dolphin.

-Brodie Croyle, QB, Alabama-Brodie Croyle plays with a lot of heart. But what I've noticed is that he's a bit of a mix of Whitehurst and Cutler. He has the calm approach of Whitehurst but will throw caution to the wind at some point. Croyle did impress me a bit today and I think if he plays like he did this year and today, he'll be a Trent Green-type QB. Not the best but certainly reliable. Moved Slightly Up-Mid 2nd-round pick
unless he blows up the combine.

Taco John
05-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Was Chad even injured in college?

I don't know... why?

SLAG
05-13-2006, 10:50 PM
The Planet was missing a good Taco Poop Thread.... : popcorn:

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't know... why?

Because if he wasn't, your comparison is even more BS.

Pennington's injuries were just freak accidents. They weren't the result of being POUNDED EVERY OTHER PLAY.

KChiefs1
05-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Stewart Mandel
Sports Illustrated

OVERRATED/UNDERRATED

Quarterback

Overrated: Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt Let me start by saying I do think the pride of the Commodores could well be a solid NFL quarterback. Considering he spent much of his career running from unblocked pass-rushers and throwing to third-rate SEC receivers (until last season, when freshman stud Earl Bennett came on the scene), Cutler's accomplishments at Vandy -- 3,073 yards, 21 touchdowns and nine interceptions as a senior -- were nothing short of remarkable. But the mere fact that many among the NFL cognoscenti are even thinking about taking Cutler ahead of the most dangerous quarterback to come through the college ranks in years (hint: rhymes with "rinse tongue") makes Cutler overrated -- and raises serious questions about how some of these scouts themselves would perform on the Wonderlic.

Underrated: Brodie Croyle, Alabama Considering how much emphasis the NFL puts on arm strength, you'd think they'd be falling all over themselves for this guy. Croyle has a gun (just ask the Florida secondary). His mechanics are impeccable and his natural leadership abilities had a great deal to do with the Tide jumping out to a 9-0 start last season. I'm sure his substantial injury history (he underwent shoulder and ACL surgeries while in Tuscaloosa) is helping to knock him down the pecking order, but the fifth-year senior was a picture of health last season when he completed nearly 60 percent of his passes for 2,499 yards, 14 touchdowns and just four interceptions. This, despite the fact he played behind a horrendous offensive line that allowed 39 sacks and had to work with a largely unreliable receiving corps after Tyrone Prothro went down with a broken leg.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Croyle hasn't been injured in almost two years.

Taco John
05-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Because if he wasn't, your comparison is even more BS.

Pennington's injuries were just freak accidents. They weren't the result of being POUNDED EVERY OTHER PLAY.

Uh, no it's not. Pennington got injured in the pros. That's where the injuries count now. Hence, I was worried about drafting Croyle because he was a known injury risk already, before he got to the pros, where they hit harder. The concern I had was that he'd be the next Chad Pennington. I'm not sure what Chad's college injury track record has anything to do with this... Are you trying to say that Brodie Croyle doesn't have an injury concern because Chad Pennington didn't get injured in college?

Like I said, I'd have put on my best face if we'd have picked him up in the third round.

Taco John
05-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Croyle hasn't been injured in almost two years.

And yet you still indicated that he was an injury concern... And for good reason... Everybody across the league was worried about the same thing. Otherwise, he might have been a second rounder.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Uh, no it's not. Pennington got injured in the pros. That's where the injuries count now. Hence, I was worried about drafting Croyle because he was a known injury risk already, before he got to the pros, where they hit harder. The concern I had was that he'd be the next Chad Pennington. I'm not sure what Chad's college injury track record has anything to do with this... Are you trying to say that Brodie Croyle doesn't have an injury concern because Chad Pennington didn't get injured in college?

You compared to him to Chad Pennington.

Pennington was (to our knowledge) never seriously injured in college.

How is this a valid comparison?

It's only a valid comparison if Croyle gets hurt in the NFL.

Croyle has an injury concern, yes. But he was POUNDED in every year during his Alabama career, including his senior season. Why wasn't he hurt his senior season?

BigMeatballDave
05-13-2006, 10:59 PM
True, but Vick made it to the SB tho.wha?

KChiefs1
05-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Rating the 2006 QB's:

JAY CUTLER, Vanderbilt, 6-2.75, 288 -- Has all the necessary physical skills to succeed in the NFL, including size, arm strength and scrambling ability. While he's no Vince Young, he is still a threat to take off and throw on the run. Needs to improve his mechanics, especially with his release. Consistency is also a concern. Will occasionally force a throw. Has become slightly overhyped and could be a reach if he's taken too early. But he also could be a gem.

BRODIE CROYLE, Alabama, 6-2.25, 204 -- Injuries are the biggest negative with him, both because he's shown an inability to stay healthy and because the missed time has hampered his development. Could stand to add some bulk, but otherwise has the tools. Arm strength is excellent, though he occasionally puts too much mustard on short routes. Good release and mechanics.

BigMeatballDave
05-13-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd like to see Printers or Croyle beat out Huard for number 2.

Taco John
05-13-2006, 11:02 PM
wha?

Syphilis B - he's talking about a wing at the clinic.

Kylo Ren
05-13-2006, 11:06 PM
I'd say they should be 1a and 1b as far as QBotF. At this point, Printers has more game expirence. He might be #2 and Croyle #3. Eventually, I think Croyle will beat out Printers. I'd like us to dump Huard and just keep both Printers and Croyle.

TRR
05-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Only time will tell if Cutler and Croyle will become NFL level QB's. I'm just not sold on Cutler. I watched several games last season against meager competition where Cutler looked lost. To me, Cutler is equal to Kyle Boller. Wonderful arm, and a decent head to go with it....but missing that something that NFL QB's have. That may be why he ended up at Vanderbilt instead of a Big Ten school, etc.

Croyle looks and acts the part of an NFL QB. Everyone was concerned about Green's injuries when he came to KC as well. We had all the Donk fans over here bashing Vermeil for giving up a pick for a one-legged QB. That turned out very well.

Only time will tell.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-13-2006, 11:17 PM
I'd also like to point out that Croyle has a howitzer attached to his right shoulder and Pennington has a noodle. I don't see how this comparison is at all relevant.

RealSNR
05-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Don't you just LOVE how if a Chiefs player has any possibility of having an injury problem, Taco is always around to assume the worst is true? It seems like it was only yesterday he was spouting off as October 5th as the magic date that Priest would be done for the season.

And he's ALWAYS wrong ROFL

Keep it up, Taco. Please don't be afraid to tell us that Will Shields and Willie Roaf are old and won't last two games this season.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Don't you just LOVE how if a Chiefs player has any possibility of having an injury problem, Taco is always around to assume the worst is true? It seems like it was only yesterday he was spouting off as October 5th as the magic date that Priest would be done for the season.

Keep it up, Taco. Please don't be afraid to tell us that Will Shields and Willie Roaf are old and won't last two games this season.

SWING AND A DRIVE! WAY BACK! THAT BALL IS HISTORY!

alanm
05-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Sorry... I just see the guy as the next Chad Pennington... Really promising, but too injury prone to make a difference. I would have probably put on my best face about it if we had drafted him in the third round, but I'd have been nervous about the whole deal thinking we might be repeating the Griese experiment...

Some pre-draft comments on Croyle:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=40962
Kinda like Trent Green was injury prone when we first signed him.

jAZ
05-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Rating the 2006 QB's:

JAY CUTLER, Vanderbilt, 6-2.75, 288
Can that be right?

jAZ
05-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Croyle sounds like an absolutely perfect fit for KC's QBOTF role. Our OL is something that he never had in AL and will hopefully account for this primary weakness (injury). If that's possible, and he's able to stay healthy, it sounds like he's the QB with the most potential for NFL success given our offensive system.

I also LOVE Leinart in Phx. He's going to be stuck with a much crappier OL, but he won't need to start right away either. Though I suspect he'll be starting (either by way of injury or performance) by week 8.

wazu
05-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Can that be right?

No, he's 228. Croyle takes a lot of crap for being skinny considering he has the strongest arm.

I'll be honest - I wanted Cutler going into the draft, but the more I find out about Croyle, the more I think it's a toss-up as to who got the better QB.

CHIEF4EVER
05-13-2006, 11:49 PM
No, he's 228. Croyle takes a lot of crap for being skinny considering he has the strongest arm.

I'll be honest - I wanted Cutler going into the draft, but the more I find out about Croyle, the more I think it's a toss-up as to who got the better QB.

The Donx did, just ask TJ. Croyle is finito, finished, fin. He has lost his burst......errr, never mind.

jAZ
05-13-2006, 11:51 PM

If that turns out to be the case, then there is *no* question who got the better value.

StcChief
05-13-2006, 11:52 PM
As long as Croyle or Printers pan out in a year or so...
Huard.
Chiefs are too cautious to not keep him since he's a
NFL Vet. Would be nice to think Croyle/Printers could be the #2 this year....

jAZ
05-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Huard.
Chiefs are too cautious to not keep him since he's a
NFL Vet.
Not to mention knowledge of and experience in our offense.

jAZ
05-14-2006, 12:01 AM
My guess is the best case scenario for Printers (unless something major happens during TC), is that he will be our #4 QB and end up on the PS for the season. That Huard will be #2 and Croyle will be on the roster at #3. Killian is off to find work elsewhere.

StcChief
05-14-2006, 12:04 AM
My guess is the best case scenario for Printers (unless something major happens during TC), is that he will be our #4 QB and end up on the PS for the season. That Huard will be #2 and Croyle will be on the roster at #3. Killian is off to find work elsewhere.\

Yeah. Baring an injury to anyone else Killan is done in KC.

Taco John
05-14-2006, 12:10 AM

Actually, I'm not assuming anything, least of all that the worst is true. I just know that prior to the draft, I was concerned that we'd end up with Croyle, and based on every scouting report I read, there's concern that he's an injury risk. How can I be wrong about that? Everybody knows that's the knock on the guy. He could turn out to be the man of steel...

Like I said... If we had selected him in the third round, I'd have put on my best face about it too.

Also, we kicked your ass in front of the nation because Roaf and Shields are old, so I'm not sure what point you're driving at there. Your offensive line fell off a bit last year due to it. I wouldn't bring it up, but you mentioned it like it's some out there thought...

Taco John
05-14-2006, 12:13 AM
I'd also like to point out that Croyle has a howitzer attached to his right shoulder and Pennington has a noodle. I don't see how this comparison is at all relevant.

Your and idiot.

The comparison isn't about quarterback styles. The concern about Croyle is an injury concern. Just like Pennington, who is a promising quarterback, but can't stay on the field. Comparing their styles in this discussion is stupid. I'm not even sure why you brought it up.

wazu
05-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Your and idiot.

Major burn!

Phobia
05-14-2006, 12:21 AM
My guess is the best case scenario for Printers (unless something major happens during TC), is that he will be our #4 QB and end up on the PS for the season. That Huard will be #2 and Croyle will be on the roster at #3. Killian is off to find work elsewhere.

Printers ends up on the practice squad he's likely gone. He's a talent. No doubt about it.

RealSNR
05-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Actually, I'm not assuming anything, least of all that the worst is true. I just know that prior to the draft, I was concerned that we'd end up with Croyle, and based on every scouting report I read, there's concern that he's an injury risk. How can I be wrong about that? Everybody knows that's the knock on the guy. He could turn out to be the man of steel...

Like I said... If we had selected him in the third round, I'd have put on my best face about it too.

Also, we kicked your ass in front of the nation because Roaf and Shields are old, so I'm not sure what point you're driving at there. Your offensive line fell off a bit last year due to it. I wouldn't bring it up, but you mentioned it like it's some out there thought...Whatever. They were probably gone that game because you didn't "go ahead and call it" that they were damaged goods.

OldTownChief
05-14-2006, 12:32 AM
"go ahead and call it"

tk13
05-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Where we get a real advantage with Croyle is that he already knows our offense and some of its terminology. No other rookie QB can say that. He might have the easiest transition period. The question will be can we protect him... and that's the question with any pocket QB. Terry Shea swore up and down he had the best feet of any QB in the draft, so with our O-line hopefully he'll be able to do some things. It's really not rocket science.

RealSNR
05-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Keep in mind with Croyle, he's going to have his ass on the bench this entire season most likely. That's more than enough time to rest from college injuries and learn the system.

He's going to love our Oline compared to Alabama's.

Taco John
05-14-2006, 01:36 AM
Whatever. They were probably gone that game because you didn't "go ahead and call it" that they were damaged goods.

No, I knew we were going to kick your ass. There was no way you guys were going to come into Mile High on Monday night and escape with even your dignity.

Valiant
05-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Rating the 2006 QB's:

JAY CUTLER, Vanderbilt, 6-2.75, 288 -- Has all the necessary physical skills to succeed in the NFL, including size, arm strength and scrambling ability. While he's no Vince Young, he is still a threat to take off and throw on the run. Needs to improve his mechanics, especially with his release. Consistency is also a concern. Will occasionally force a throw. Has become slightly overhyped and could be a reach if he's taken too early. But he also could be a gem.

BRODIE CROYLE, Alabama, 6-2.25, 204 -- Injuries are the biggest negative with him, both because he's shown an inability to stay healthy and because the missed time has hampered his development. Could stand to add some bulk, but otherwise has the tools. Arm strength is excellent, though he occasionally puts too much mustard on short routes. Good release and mechanics.

Cutler weighs 288??? Damn he is going to be a bitch for HIcks to take down if he does not whiff...

------

Seems to me, most of the Mange was 50/50 on Croyle, and most comparisons seem to be the same on the two QB's.. Both teams got good draft values for their QB picks...

How does the analysis that Cutler will turn into a Trent Green type QB sound to you Taco???

teedubya
05-14-2006, 02:39 AM
Im glad that we got Croyle... plus we got him in the 3rd round...

The Donkos had 2 first rounders... ending up have ONE first rounder... and had to trade up AGAIN, to get Cutler. You better hope he works out Taco.

You could have drafted better talent for your shitty Defense... especially after losing Trevor Price and other key members of your D.

Taco John
05-14-2006, 03:11 AM
You could have drafted better talent for your shitty Defense... especially after losing Trevor Price and other key members of your D.

*shrug*

I'm not concerned about Trevor's departure. His injury made him a marginal player last season. Warren is our stud now. And as far as our needs, I've been an advocate that we need offense to keep up in the new age of the NFL where defenses are weakened in favor of protecting the passing game. I am happy to see we put our focus on offense.

The fact that the last two playoffs, we've had a rookie CB targeted by the other team isn't lost on me either. I don't believe Pittsburgh would have had it so easy if Darrent Williams, the better of our rookies, hadn't been sidelined with injury. We missed out on coverage sacks that I believe would have made all the difference in the world that game.

Oh well... At least we had the honor of playing in the AFC Championship game after our defense cracked Tom Brady and the hapless Patriots over their collective knee. It's always satisfying to hear a Pats fan deflect Tom Brady's choking onto the refs. God forbid they criticize Tom Teriffic for throwing a floater in the direction of the best CB in the game. What a dope.

It's alright being a part of the class in the AFC that has gone to the playoffs the last three years in a row. I suspect these same four teams will be there again next year, leaving second teir teams only two spots to battle for.

Good luck!

jspchief
05-14-2006, 06:27 AM
We got Croyle in the third round. He's a first round talent if not for his injury concerns. I'd say we stole him. He'll get a year or two to add some NFL muscle, and then we'll get to see what kind of pro QB he is, and all it cost us was a 3rd round pick.

Given the choice of Croyle or Cutler, I'm glad we got Croyle. It's a much lower risk for the same potential reward.

Our risk is a QB that has injury concerns. Denver's risk is a QB who never won a significant game in college.

Hammock Parties
05-14-2006, 07:50 AM
No, I knew we were going to kick your ass. There was no way you guys were going to come into Mile High on Monday night and escape with even your dignity.

That's true. The RAT had a major stick up his ass about the thrashing we laid on you last December and some perceived bullshit about running up the score.

Hammock Parties
05-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Denver's risk is a QB who never won a significant game in college.

ROFL

Who also has the mechanics of Vick.

wazu
05-14-2006, 07:54 AM
That's true. The RAT had a major stick up his ass about the thrashing we laid on you last December and some perceived bullshit about running up the score.

I doubt that there was any special motivation required.

jAZ
05-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Printers ends up on the practice squad he's likely gone. He's a talent. No doubt about it.
If he is that much of a talent, his primary hope for making the squad would be the ability to actually beat out Killian and Huard with his on field performances and then hope that Herm holds to his "I will play the best player, experience be dammned" mentality. Whatever the case, it should be a fun off TC.

Chief Roundup
05-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Hey I really like that we got Croyle.
I am also glad that Denver got Cutler. Denver traded out of the 1st round last year. Denver then turned around and used both 1st rounders this year to draft a QB.
Shanahan did so much with 3 possible 1st round draft choices there. He has drafted a QB that is going to set on the bench for a couple of years or cause a QB controversy. (sp)

htismaqe
05-14-2006, 11:32 AM

You've gotta be the most pathetic **** here.

Sure-Oz
05-14-2006, 12:43 PM
If the donkeys got croyle taco would be skeetin all over about it, everyone knows it.

OldTownChief
05-14-2006, 12:45 PM
You've gotta be the most pathetic **** here.

yep

HolmeZz
05-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Sorry... I just see the guy as the next Chad Pennington..[/url]

Yeah, that's a great comparison, since Pennington's injuries are all arm related and Croyle's concerns are mainly due to his knee.

FAX
05-14-2006, 01:10 PM
This would have been a wonderful thread were it not for that infernal Taco person, Mr. The Poz. My condolences.

Croyle is the real deal. He'll earn his spot on the roster or die trying. You can't ask for more from a rookie QB.

As far as the goats are concerned. They have bigger problems. For example, a starting QB who should be pumping gas for a living and a QB controversy of Pozzly Bear proportions in the making.

FAX

HolmeZz
05-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Croyle + 1st rounder + 2nd rounder > Cutler

jspchief
05-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Croyle has a history of injuries that should be a cause for concern in the minds of any rational football fan. But that's why we got him for only a 3rd round pick. We just have to approach it from that perspective.

And the one thing that I think is important with his injuries is that they aren't of a chronic nature. He's had 3 injuries in 3 different places, and all of them can be the product of simple bad luck in taking a hit. IMO, there's no tangible reason to think he'll continue to be injury prone.

ChiefsFanatic
05-14-2006, 01:25 PM

Yeah, so did Kyle Boller.

ChiefsFanatic
05-14-2006, 01:26 PM

Well, he has already ripped both ACL's, what's left. Rotator cuff?

htismaqe
05-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Croyle + 1st rounder + 2nd rounder > Cutler

Yeah right.

Cutler = John Elway

Ask any Donk fan.

KChiefs1
05-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Im glad that we got Croyle... plus we got him in the 3rd round...

The Donkos had 2 first rounders... ending up have ONE first rounder... and had to trade up AGAIN, to get Cutler. You better hope he works out Taco.

4. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt 6-3¼, 226; draft projection: low 1st round: Some scouts rate him the best quarterback in this draft, eventhough he played for a perennial loser in the tough Southeastern Conference. Four-year starter who single-handedly made Vanderbilt relatively competitive despite its inferior talent. Completed 61.0 percent of his passes as a junior and 59.1 percent as a senior. Probably has the strongest arm in the draft, and some scouts liken his arm strength and gunslinger mentality to Brett Favre (http://www.forecaster.info/packersnews/football/player.cgi?0489), though whether he has Favre’s leadership skills and other intangibles is another matter. Cutler does not consistently stride into throws, often either throwing with legs on the same yardline or just becoming an arm thrower with bad technique. When he does not stride into the pass and tries to put zip on the throw, his passes tend to zip and dip right before they get to the receiver. He does not consistently sense/feel backside pressure coming and it leads to him taking some hits he shouldn't. Because Vanderbilt was almost always the worse team, Cutler developed some bad habits of trying to force some passes into tight coverage, leading to interceptions. Due to the reasons listed above, Cutler has struggled to consistently convert key/important downs into first downs.“He kept them in games,” said Mike Archer, the defensive coordinator at Kentucky and a former NFL assistant with the Pittsburgh Steelers. “Last year, they probably could have won seven games, eight games, because they’re not playing with the same talent everybody else in that league is. That kid there did everything within his power. He did not take a play off, ever. He’ll make throws where you’ll say, ‘Why did he throw it?’ and some of them are intercepted. But he has so much confidence in his arm and his ability to read defenses. The most important thing, he’s a competitor. In our game, they didn’t have 100 yards in the first half, and they come out the second half and ran the same offense and he got hotter than a pistol. He can really throw it. I think he’s legit.” Threw 31 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions in his last two seasons. “People say he didn’t win at Vanderbilt, but nobody does,” said a scout who rated Cutler the best quarterback in this draft. “If you put Matt Leinart at Vanderbilt, how many games would they have won in four years? Jay’s a tough son of a (gun). He's maybe being forced up the draft board because of teams' needs. He's not a true top-10 pick ability-wise. I don't think there's any question that if he goes in the top 10, that's what teams are doing."

5. Brodie Croyle, Alabama 6-2½, 205; draft projection: 2nd round: Intriguing combination of physical and psychological talents, but also a medical risk because of his build and injury history. Has had both knees reconstructed — one in high school, the other in 2004 — plus surgery in 2003 for a torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder. Went through the 2005 season injury free so maybe his injuries are behind him. Has played regularly since his freshman season, and last year completed 59.6 percent of his passes and threw 14 touchdown passes and four interceptions. Received good instruction from Alabama coach David Shula. Has outstanding poise, the quickest release in this years quarterback class and a deceptively strong arm. “I think a lot of him,” said one NFL quarterbacks coach. “He’s like the Pied Piper. I think (teammates) love him. I get the feeling he’s a terrific leader.” Said another scout: “To come back from two (knee injuries) speaks volumes to his character and toughness. I love that part about him. Croyle is a very smart quarterback, who has consistently shown the ability to make good decisions and does not make the big error to hurt his team. He can set his feet, stride into the throw and get rid of the ball very quickly when he is throwing the ball aggressively. Scouts generally love his strong arm, toughness and ability to lead and make good decisions under pressure. His string of 190 passes without an interception in 2005 set a school record and ranks third in SEC history. Croyle is armed with a cannon and also displays the leadership qualities and moxie in the pocket that you look for in a quarterback transitioning to the next level. He defies the notion that having a cannon may make a quarterback into more of a turnover-prone gunslinger, as his touchdown to interception ratio is nearly 2 to 1 (including an impressive 14 td's to a mere 4 int's in his senior season, much of it without his #1 target Tyrone Prothro). Can and will throw the long ball, but is also accurate on short to mid-range passes as well. From his improvement between his sophomore and senior seasons, you can expect that his best years are ahead of him. He’s the only guy in this whole group that can throw with zip and throw with touch. Everybody else is more one-dimensional with their arm.” He is best suited to go to a team with an established starter so that he can spend a season or two building up his body (Adding 15 to 20 pounds of muscle and not being injured for two seasons would help him a ton) while adjusting to the NFL.

jspchief
05-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, he has already ripped both ACL's, what's left. Rotator cuff?eerrrmmm, he's already torn a rotator cuff too.

Hammock Parties
05-14-2006, 01:46 PM
eerrrmmm, he's already torn a rotator cuff too.

He tore the labrum in his non-throwing shoulder, not the rotator cuff.

jspchief
05-14-2006, 01:50 PM
He tore the labrum in his non-throwing shoulder, not the rotator cuff.Ahh yes. I knew it was non throwing shoulder, but got the injury wrong.

KChiefs1
05-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Croyle has a history of injuries that should be a cause for concern in the minds of any rational football fan. But that's why we got him for only a 3rd round pick. We just have to approach it from that perspective.

Exactly! The Donk's gave up picks so they could get Cutler with the 10 pick when many projected him as a low 1st round talent, while the Chiefs got Croyle who many considered a 2nd round talent in the 3rd round.

ChiefsFanatic
05-14-2006, 02:20 PM
eerrrmmm, he's already torn a rotator cuff too.

No. I was just suggesting that he is injury prone.

beer bacon
05-14-2006, 02:23 PM
No. I was just suggesting that he is injury prone.

If Croyle is injury prone then Cutler is suck prone.

KChiefs1
05-14-2006, 02:25 PM
wanna know why Croyle got injured at Bama? His OL sucks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y2tpPRQuiw&search=croyle

ChiefsFanatic
05-14-2006, 02:27 PM

Just because your offensive line sucks, does not mean you have to get injured. David Carr has been killed since he entered the NFL, but his ACL's are still intact.

ChiefsFanatic
05-14-2006, 02:29 PM
If Croyle is injury prone then Cutler is suck prone.

Well, that is some really great reasoning. Did you get a debate scholarship?

jspchief
05-14-2006, 02:47 PM
No. I was just suggesting that he is injury prone.I've already said as much several times in this thread and others.

That's the reason we got a late 1st/early 2nd round QB in the late 3rd.

R&GHomer
05-14-2006, 04:31 PM

Sheesh... what OL. He got his azz handed to him that game. On the other hand, did you see the video "bama vs Florida" that kid has a rocket for an arm. Some truly beautiful passes. Croyle has the potential to be a star in our system and I for one can't wait to see him in the preseason. Screw Huard! it should be printers and Croyle batteling it out for the 2nd and 3rd spots.

milkman
05-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Just because your offensive line sucks, does not mean you have to get injured. David Carr has been killed since he entered the NFL, but his ACL's are still intact.

He's been lucky.

An ACL tear is the result of your leg being bent in ways the leg is simply not mean't to be.

KChiefs1
05-14-2006, 05:46 PM

You are kidding right? You don't think a QB who get hits 4-5 times a game get hurts less than a QB who gets hit 20-30 times a game?:shake:

Croyle had one of the worst OL in the SEC last year. I actually think it will help him in his development down the road. Once he gets some snaps behind the Chiefs OL he'll think he has all day to throw compared to what he had at Bama.

I believe that Croyle is in the perfect situation with the Chiefs. Trent Green probably has two great year left in him & then we'll start to see him trend downward...just in time for Croyle to assume the QB position much like Larry Johnson has assumed the RB position.