PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the two sport star?

Pitt Gorilla
05-14-2006, 12:04 AM
It seems like it's been a while since folks like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and even Brian Jordan donned the jerseys of teams from two different sporting leagues. I'm sure that I'm missing some, but I can't think of any current two sport players.

In a similar vein, guys like Charlie Ward, Helton, Tony G, Curry (Faider WR), Antonio Gates, and Matt Jones who could have at least tried, decided to concentrate on one (at least Danny Ainge TRIED). Can you think of others?

greg63
05-14-2006, 12:06 AM
I got nothin.

DenverChief
05-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Me

Phobia
05-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Me

I'm really hoping two sport star still means what I think it means.

Dunit35
05-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Concerns over injuring themselves in the other sport could be a problem. I'd have problems paying some athlete 50 million dollars if there was a concern over another sport that he played.

StcChief
05-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Yeah. Seems like Chiefs were sweating of TG attempt at
basketball off season league with Pro /semi-pro/ ex-pro players

greg63
05-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Concerns over injuring themselves in the other sport could be a problem. I'd have problems paying some athlete 50 million dollars if there was a concern over another sport that he played.

It also seemed to fuel a lot of resentment when Deon would show up late for football season due to his baseball career.

Moooo
05-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Give an athlete a reason to play two sports and he might, in this day and age they actually get paid not to play two sports.

Moooo

Miles
05-14-2006, 12:29 AM
Hardly stars, but you do have guys like Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson that have played both but not at the same time.

Also guys like Bo Jackson and Deion were fairly medicore in the MLB. Jordan from what I can remember was nothing great in the NFL. Im guessing that its more players optomising there abilty in a league over trying to play in more than one.

Moooo
05-14-2006, 12:35 AM
Hardly stars, but you do have guys like Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson that have played both but not at the same time.

Also guys like Bo Jackson and Deion were fairly medicore in the MLB. Jordan from what I can remember was nothing great in the NFL. Im guessing that its more players optomising there abilty in a league over trying to play in more than one.

That's not due to ablility, that's due to practice. They just don't have the time of day to practice enough to be all stars in both sports.

If it was me, I'd take the MLB route. Much less contact, and much greater pay.

Moooo

Boardin Bronco
05-14-2006, 01:57 AM
Jeff Samardzija of Notre Dame looks like he will have to make a tough choice in the near future because he will be a top 3 round pick in both football and baseball.

Valiant
05-14-2006, 02:06 AM
It seems like it's been a while since folks like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and even Brian Jordan donned the jerseys of teams from two different sporting leagues. I'm sure that I'm missing some, but I can't think of any current two sport players.

In a similar vein, guys like Charlie Ward, Helton, Tony G, Curry (Faider WR), Antonio Gates, and Matt Jones who could have at least tried, decided to concentrate on one (at least Danny Ainge TRIED). Can you think of others?

The injury risk.. If I am a owner and I am paying a guy 50million football I do not want him risking himself in basketball or baseball and vice-versa.. What was it last year the yankees third baseman screwed his knee up playing basketball and lost millions because of it...

Deberg_1990
05-14-2006, 02:33 AM

Bo Jackson had one great year as a Royal. 1988 I believe??

Braincase
05-14-2006, 05:37 AM
Today, the two sport athlete specializes in either football and basketball, or punt returns and freestyle mogul skiing.

CupidStunt
05-14-2006, 05:42 AM
Bo Jackson had one great year as a Royal. 1988 I believe??

:hmmm:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jacksbo01.shtml

All those 20+ homer seasons isn't bad at all. Yeah, he's no A-Rod, but that's a very solid resume for a part-timer who excelled in the NFL as well.

32 homers, 105 RBI in '89, but he also complimented that with 25 and 68 the year before ('88) and 28 and 78 the year after in '90.

htismaqe
05-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Professional sports are a year-round endeavor now. In the old days, guys would go home to real jobs in the offseason.

There's just not enough time to excel in more than one sport because just being a middle-of-the-pack player in the NFL or MLB requires tons of commitment...

Demonpenz
05-14-2006, 11:32 AM
There are alot of pro skate boarders who also are professional snow boarders

cdcox
05-14-2006, 11:52 AM
I've always been against the idea. Bo Jackson never had a great season in either sport. He had a solid season or two in football, but nowhere near his potential. Dion's play at CB didn't seem to suffer too badly from playing baseball, but he still missed games early in the season, which is inexcusable for such a trivial pursuit as baseball.

milkman
05-14-2006, 11:55 AM

The question was about sports.

Skip Towne
05-14-2006, 12:00 PM
I didn't know here was any such thing as a pro skate boarder.

CoMoChief
05-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Bo Jackson is the greatest 2 sport athlete of all time!!!

Two Words - TECMO BOWL!!!

JohnnyV13
05-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Looking at bo's baseball stats, you could see he was getting progressively better until he got hurt. His slugging percentages were going up every year, and his strikeouts were going down.

Bo might never have had a superstar year in MLB, but they guy had tremendous tools. If he concentrated on baseball AND he hung around long enough to see the post 94 live ball era, he could have put up numbers

jaxchiefsclub
05-14-2006, 12:17 PM
I saw a video yesterday on comcast's "The Fan", and they showed Anquan Boldin in a Diamondback uniform taking some BP (batting practice).

When they asked him if he was considering becoming a 2 sport star he stated he'd keep doing what he does best, but a part of him misses baseball.

Haven't heard of anyone else trying it other than him, and it sounded like he wasn't serious about it.

NJ Chief Fan
05-14-2006, 02:03 PM
i think the day of the 2 sport athlete are dead...i dont think that most major universities allow them to play 2 sports any more

i remember hearing that ben wallace was accepted to auburn for a football scholorship and he told them that he wanted to play both ways...they told him yea sure you could play de and te and he said no i want to play football and basketball and they told him no so he went to some smaller school