PDA

View Full Version : Worlds of Fun, Frontier City, Six Flags (Dallas) or Silver Dollar City

Darien25
05-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Trying to decide where to take the kids, ages 8 to 13, for an early summer family vacation. I've been to Silver Dollar City many times and really enjoy it, but wondered how it compares with other theme parks for fun and overall family value. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

CHIEF4EVER
05-14-2006, 07:26 AM
If they are ride enthusiasts, Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun wouldn't be a bad choice. My personal choice for all around entertainment would be SDC though simply because boys that age like it and there is also a ton of other stuff in Branson to do that they would like as well.

Chiefs Express II
05-14-2006, 07:31 AM
I'd bite the bullet and take them all to the resort town of Orlando.

Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios

Disney
Magic Kingdom
MGM Grand
Epcot
Animal Kingdom (?) we weren't really impressed with this one.

And for the finish go to Tampa for Busch Gardens.

Darien25
05-14-2006, 07:49 AM

Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios

Disney
Magic Kingdom
MGM Grand
Epcot

I'm considering this for a possible family vacation sometime in the near future but don't know if I can afford the gas for another cross country trip unless we take out a second mortgage. Went to Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and Sea World San Diego last fall and spent about $700 in gas for a ten day trip in the suv. I think the average gas price then was around $2.30 a gallon. Wish it was that cheap now.

Darien25
05-14-2006, 07:50 AM
If they are ride enthusiasts, Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun wouldn't be a bad choice. My personal choice for all around entertainment would be SDC though simply because boys that age like it and there is also a ton of other stuff in Branson to do that they would like as well.

Thanks for the info.

Deberg_1990
05-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Obviously Orlando if you and your family are ride enthusiasts like my family. But out of the parks you mentioned i would choose Silver Dollar City. Its the best themed and most family oriented out of the three you mentioned. WoF has become souless with zero presonality. They did however just add a new coaster which is nice. Six Flags in Dallas is fun, but its still not as nice as SDC. Plus, in Branson you have other activities besides SDC. Frontier City is hardly even worth mentioning.

Hammock Parties
05-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Take them to Silver Dollar City. It has a hell of a lot more substance than those other flakey cesspools. They might actually learn something.

Darien25
05-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Take them to Silver Dollar City. It has a hell of a lot more substance than those other flakey cesspools. They might actually learn something.

lol, thanks

Duck Dog
05-14-2006, 09:29 AM

Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios

Disney
Magic Kingdom
MGM Grand
Epcot

Plus you have the Kennedy Space Center and the best bass fishing this side of Meheco.

Anyone know if Dog Patch USA is still open? That place rocked.

deadbabyseal
05-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Plus you have the Kennedy Space Center and the best bass fishing this side of Meheco.

Dogpatch closed down years ago.

CoMoChief
05-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Trying to decide where to take the kids, ages 8 to 13, for an early summer family vacation. I've been to Silver Dollar City many times and really enjoy it, but wondered how it compares with other theme parks for fun and overall family value. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the money and time, drive to Sandusky Ohio and go to Cedar Point. Best theme park in the country IMO.

Frazod
05-14-2006, 10:57 AM
We did the Six Flags thing last weekend (Great America is about an hour from here). Perfect weekend, and if you go this time of year the crowds are a fraction of those you'll endure later.

I haven't been to Silver Dollar City in 30 years. I remember finding it a bit boring as a kid, and back then my preference was definitely Six Flags or Worlds of Fun. I assume, of course, that over the course of three decades they might have added an attraction or two. :D

Mosbonian
05-14-2006, 02:39 PM

Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios

Disney
Magic Kingdom
MGM Grand
Epcot

You need to go back and ride Everest...that might change your mind.

m:mad:dog

Chiefs Express II
05-14-2006, 02:42 PM
You need to go back and ride Everest...that might change your mind.

I did. Like I said..not impressed.

Mosbonian
05-14-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm considering this for a possible family vacation sometime in the near future but don't know if I can afford the gas for another cross country trip unless we take out a second mortgage. Went to Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and Sea World San Diego last fall and spent about $700 in gas for a ten day trip in the suv. I think the average gas price then was around $2.30 a gallon. Wish it was that cheap now.

Depending on how lucky you get, you can sometimes catch a Southwest or American Airlines ticket at $132 RT....if you stay on Disney property you never need a rental car, unless you plan on doing the other parks such as SeaWorld, Un Studios, and Islands of Adventure. Even then you can still catch a good weekly rental car special for $90 for the week.

My kids are 10 and 13...I would never, repeat NEVER, try a cross country road trip with them at this age.

As for the question at hand....skip the trip to Six Flags in St. Loser...unless you want to take the kids to the STL Zoo or Grants Farm. My choice is WOF/OOF...and then take in the Royals, where unless they are playing the Yanks or Cards, you can pretty much get any kind of ticket you want.

Sorry...Branson is over-rated and over-crowded.

Mosbonian
05-14-2006, 02:47 PM

They just opened it up...go recently?

Mosbonian
05-14-2006, 02:49 PM
If you have the money and time, drive to Sandusky Ohio and go to Cedar Point. Best theme park in the country IMO.

I've been told this more than once....I've missed this one so far. Might have to try it out.

John_Locke
05-14-2006, 02:49 PM
I like to take the family to Frontier City. It is a short drive and a lot less people. The kids enjoy running round without having dad and mom tied to their side, there is stuff to do inside and out.

The fireworks are kick ass and the family loves the Waffle House close by.

then the next day, go to WhiteWater Bay just a short drive into Okla City.

Sometimes you can find 2 for 1 park passes

Mosbonian
05-14-2006, 02:51 PM

You'd be one of the few not impressed with Everest....but to each his own.

AK is meant for kids mostly....and parents with kids. Sorry you didn't like the park. I enjoy it even though I have been to Disney many times.

hypersensitiveZO6
05-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Worlds of Fun was alright. My kids liked Silver Dollar City better than Six Flags. I pick Branson. Have you visited White Water yet?

http://whitewater.silverdollarcity.com/rides-attractions/

BigMeatballDave
05-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Cedar Point

John_Locke
05-14-2006, 03:15 PM
http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/yellowpages/parks/frontiercity_ok.shtml

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/frontiercity/index.asp

jiveturkey
05-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Worlds of Fun added a sweet invert this year.
http://coastercommunity.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=264&g2_navId=x331f31c4

SDC is good but it's always packed and waiting in line is always a possible issue.

SFStL is OK but and they just added a giant drop tower that opens this weekend.

Are you going on a weekend or a weekday?

harpes
05-14-2006, 05:23 PM
I really enjoy the weekend in KC. WOF,zoo is great, Royals,Several good kids museums

Archie F. Swin
05-15-2006, 10:04 AM
I've Been to Frontier City, Six Flags over Texas and WoF in the last 12 years. Though, I prefer the KC area over the Metroplex, Worlds of Fun is clearly inferior to Six Flags over Texas which, in my opinion, is one of Americas best parks. I cant say that for all of the SF parks.
Now if they've made siginificant improvements to WoF since the late 90s then It should be an above average park. I'm not just talking rides, I'm talking cleanliness, state of repair, food and refreshment facilities....WoF bordered on gross. My wife and I will take our bad memories of a food buffet at WoF to our graves.

SFoT comes highly recommended, especially on weekdays when its not hot. Whe its hot in Texas, its 30 degrees hotter at Six Flags, or so it seems.

Frontier City is a good park for OKC, admission is on the high side but what else is new. I enjoyed my time there, good roller coasters for a smaller park. I was especially impressed with the large wooden roller coaster at Frontier City, Possibly one of the best I've ever ridden. You can cover the park in about half-day. Obviously thats a quick trip from Owasso. But, its tough compare Front City with the other parks...its more of a Minor League park. And while I'm on that subject...if you got to OKC check out a Redhawks game at the Bricktown Ballpark. You can buy your kids a $10 t-shirt that is basically a season ticket. If they wear that shirt, they get in free for the rest of the season.

Would I drive to Arlington to go to Six Flags? You bet. Would I drive to KC to go to Worlds of Fun? No way

Pitt Gorilla
05-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Worlds of Fun added a sweet invert this year.
http://coastercommunity.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=264&g2_navId=x331f31c4

SDC is good but it's always packed and waiting in line is always a possible issue.

SFStL is OK but and they just added a giant drop tower that opens this weekend.

Are you going on a weekend or a weekday?I haven't been to WoF since the Orient was killed. SDC has some pretty good coasters and is good for the younguns. SFStL has the Batman and Mr. Freeze, which are both very good.

Oh, and the waterpark next to SFStL is free with admission to SF.

Bob Dole
05-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Whe its hot in Texas, its 30 degrees hotter at Six Flags, or so it seems.

You of course realize that all theme parks are constructed that way on purpose, don't you?

Archie F. Swin
05-15-2006, 10:33 AM
You of course realize that all theme parks are constructed that way on purpose, don't you?

You mean there might be a marketing angle? :hmmm:

:D

Archie F. Swin
05-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Darien25

Sea World San Antionio comes highly recommended

JimNasium
05-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Dogpatch USA (http://www.undergroundozarks.com/dogpatch.html)