PDA

View Full Version : Flutie retires

recxjake
05-15-2006, 10:51 AM
NFL | Flutie retires
Mon, 15 May 2006 09:41:37 -0700

ESPNews reports free agent QB Doug Flutie (Patriots) has decided to retire from the NFL.

StcChief
05-15-2006, 11:50 AM
until he is called back for emergency duty for some quick $$$.

SLAG
05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
until he is called back for emergency duty for some quick $$$.
No he will come out of retirement to do another drop kick

CoMoChief
05-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Be prepared for some more Flutie Flakes in the market.

Aries Walker
05-15-2006, 11:54 AM
This comes as no surprise to me. Dude's 43 years old.

Rain Man
05-15-2006, 12:09 PM
I must say, I became a fan of Flutie when I read an article about him a few years back that is described in the following article. I'm a fan of football players who love the game.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/7857823

[Rain man note: this article was written in 2004, but the article I saw was written the night after it happened. I deleted large irrelevant parts of this article.]

A doubleheader

True story. About three years ago, five hours after San Diego quarterback Doug Flutie led the Chargers to a victory, a four-man crew from a TV station in Denver was preparing to go live from Qualcomm Stadium for its Sunday night 10:40 show.

But before the show went on, the crew noticed a group of seven 30-something men engaged in a touch football game in which the same person played quarterback for both teams.

During the game, the quarterback also jogged over behind the Qualcomm goalposts, grabbed the ropes and began raising the kicking nets, like it was a real NFL game.

The quarterback/net holder looked familiar from a distance, and then he was recognized: Doug Flutie.

Five hours after he had run around for three-plus hours against the Broncos, after he had completed 21 of 32 passes for 280 yards and two touchdowns, after he had absorbed such vicious blows as the one Denver linebacker Bill Romanowski had delivered on his chest, Flutie -- in street clothes and a baseball cap -- was back for more.

Like Sunday afternoon was some kind of warm-up act.

For one hour that Sunday night, after the cheers had quieted and the stadium emptied, Flutie played more football with seven of his buddies.

Turns out, this is something Flutie loves to do. Those closest to him said he would routinely return to Buffalo's Ralph Wilson Stadium the Sunday nights after the Bills' Sunday games. He often goes straight from San Diego's afternoon practices to spend the night playing pickup basketball games at a local gym. He acts more 14 than 40-plus.

Most football players spend Sunday nights unwinding, eating hearty meals, watching the next football game, doing anything but thinking of playing on. Flutie, with a passion for his sport that is no different than that of Roger Clemens in baseball, is different.

dj56dt58
05-15-2006, 01:12 PM
He'll be back..He's one of the guys that can't stay away from the game very long and there is always somebody that will want his service as a backup

JBucc
05-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I must say, I became a fan of Flutie when I read an article about him a few years back that is described in the following article. I'm a fan of football players who love the game.
that's pretty cool

Chief Roundup
05-15-2006, 04:39 PM
He was a guy that was never truely given a shot as anything more than a backup. He was always exciting to watch.

Calcountry
05-15-2006, 05:24 PM
This is making me feel old, cause I was home on Thanksgiving break when Br3nt Musberger had the call:

Flutie drops back, He throughs it down; CAUGHT BY FAGIN, TOUCHDOWN BOSTON COLLEGE!11!"

One of the most incredible comeback from the death drives I have ever whitnessed.

Bwana
05-15-2006, 05:44 PM
He was always exciting to watch. I always had a lot of respect for the guy because he would give 100% on every play and he was a far cry from a lot of these modern day "Leon" me me me assholes we see on the field today. He was one of those guys that played for the love of the game, not just to make his wallet fat. I can honestly say I will miss the little bastard.

Adept Havelock
05-15-2006, 07:13 PM
I always had a lot of respect for the guy because he would give 100% on every play and he was a far cry from a lot of these modern day "Leon" me me me assholes we see on the field today. He was one of those guys that played for the love of the game, not just to make his wallet fat. I can honestly say I will miss the little bastard.

Very true, Flutie was all heart, and you saw it every game. If he'd had the body and endurance to match his desire and ability, he might well have been headed to the HOF.