PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Like Hawk Linebacker

Lzen
05-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Former KU star hopes to catch on with KC

By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Don Blackmon knew immediately that one of his rookie linebackers wasn't lined up right. What he didn't seem to know was the identity of the misaligned player.

"Hey, Kansas,'' the Chiefs new linebackers coach called out, "move two feet to your right.''

Nick Reid, the Kansas player in question, relished the opportunity to laugh about the incident after participating in his second workout Friday at the Chiefs' rookies/new players mini-camp.

"I think he knows my name, but he's taken a liking to calling me Kansas,'' Reid said with a chuckle. "That's all right. As long as he calls me something, as long as he's still talking to me, everything will be fine.''

The Chiefs, for the record, know plenty about Reid, the Derby native who eventually developed into the Big 12's Defensive Player of the Year for the Kansas Jayhawks last year.

And though neither they nor 31 other NFL teams saw fit to use a draft pick on a 230-pound player who doesn't exactly fit the NFL mold for inside linebackers, the Chiefs had enough local knowledge that they made a priority of signing Reid as an undrafted free agent.

"He's a guy who just makes plays, who finds a way to get it done. You can't measure that kind of ticker,'' said Chuck Cook, Kansas City's director of college scouting.

"We were happy to get him,'' Cook added. "Carl (Peterson, KC's team president) was especially happy because he'd seen him play a bunch. We don't want to miss on a local guy, like happened with Rod Smith (of Missouri Southern).''

Though he went through two days of the draft without hearing his name called, Reid now has his NFL chance, which is all any collegian drafted or undrafted can ask.

"I know I'm not the fastest player out here,'' Reid acknowledged, "but I try to play smart and take good angles to the ball. That and being a hard-nosed, tough player can make up for a lot.''

It will have to. The Chiefs are not exactly loaded with proven backups to starting middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell, but they do have young veterans Rich Scanlon and 2005 draftee Boomer Grigsby as returners. Both are expendable should Reid be able to show on the NFL level the production he displayed at KU.

The chance to do that for a team he grew up watching as a kid in the Wichita area makes the opportunity even sweeter.

"They've been my favorite team my whole life,'' Reid said. "I've been to maybe eight, 10 games here -- tailgated in the parking lot, cheered them on through thick and thin.

"Becoming a Chiefs would be a dream come true for me.''

That dream started looking more real when Reid walked in the Arrowhead locker room this week and saw his name above a cubicle. Admittedly, the locker was one of the temporary ones the team installs before roster cuts.

"But it was still a great feeling,'' Reid added. "It was cool when we played Oklahoma here and I walked in and saw the names of the Chiefs players. But when you come in and see your own name, it's a whole different feeling.

"I was a little surprised (to go undrafted), but maybe this will work out for the best,'' he added. "I've got the chance now to stay close to home and play for a team I've always followed. If I'm blessed enough to make the team, my family and friends could easily come watch me play.

"Now I've got to bust my butt and show them what I can do.''

Linky (http://hawkzone.cjonline.com/stories/051406/haw_reid.shtml)

big nasty kcnut
05-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Nick reid and boomer Grigsby are the future of chiefs football. Rich scanlon is a loser who will be great in arena football.

Dunit35
05-15-2006, 03:33 PM
That has to be cool to be on the team and be a huge chiefs fan growing up.

Skip Towne
05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Nick reid and boomer Grigsby are the future of chiefs football. Rich scanlon is a loser who will be great in arena football.
What? Rich Scanlon is able to leap tall buildings at a single bound.

Mr. Kotter
05-15-2006, 03:41 PM

Ah, shit....nut; Roy and roy r gonna come and git u now.....

sedated
05-15-2006, 03:52 PM
He looks really small compared to the other LBs.

I see practice squad and some protein shakes in his future

Skip Towne
05-15-2006, 04:17 PM
He looks really small compared to the other LBs.

I see practice squad and some protein shakes in his future
Arguably the best MLB ever, Jack Lambert, was 6'4 and weighed 220#.

StcChief
05-15-2006, 04:34 PM
The Chiefs are not exactly loaded with proven backups to starting middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell, but they do have young veterans Rich Scanlon and 2005 draftee Boomer Grigsby as returners. Both are expendable should Reid be able to show on the NFL level the production he displayed at KU.
Keep Boomer send Scalon packin.

RealSNR
05-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Why not move this guy outside? If he's a lightweight like this that might make more sense

WilliamTheIrish
05-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Why not move this guy outside? If he's a lightweight like this that might make more sense

Yes. Let's move him outside. Of the US. Say, to NFLE.

DJay23
05-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Yes. Let's move outside. Of the US. Say, to NFLE.
I think William's head will explode if he is forced to root for a Jayhawk.

58-4ever
05-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Arguably the best MLB ever, Jack Lambert, was 6'4 and weighed 220#.

That was back in your day Skip, when there were not so many 300 pounders in the game.

Skip Towne
05-15-2006, 05:22 PM
That was back in your day Skip, when there were not so many 300 pounders in the game.
That may be so. But Donnie Edwards is about that size. Maybe not so tall.

58-4ever
05-15-2006, 05:24 PM
That may be so. But Donnie Edwards is about that size. Maybe not so tall.

Nick Reid isn't nearly the athlete that Edwards is though.

WilliamTheIrish
05-15-2006, 05:29 PM
I think William's head will explode if he is forced to root for a Jayhawk.

Not true. He's a Chief now. If he catches on and is tearing downfield on ST's and gets blocked out of bounds into Randy Moss' knee, causing the ligaments to explode, I'll nominate him for the Chiefs HOF.

Braincase
05-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Doesn't Scanlon want to get back to starting medical school anyway?

Skip Towne
05-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Nick Reid isn't nearly the athlete that Edwards is though.
Nope. It will probably be his lack of speed that torpedoes him if it happens.