PDA

View Full Version : Creating a 27th letter.

Rain Man
05-15-2006, 05:16 PM
We're constantly developing new technologies, new slang, and new concepts, and there's got to be some sort of practical limit on the number of new words that we can create using our current alphabet.

I think it's time to come up with a new letter and sound, and I'm thinking it needs to be a vowel, though I'm flexible on it. (I also really like those swing letters like y that can be used as both a vowel and a consonant.)

Please submit your suggestions here. What we need is both a symbol for the alphabet, and then also a description of the sound. Also, let us know if it would be used as a vowel or a consonant. Remember, usability is a key.

JBucc
05-15-2006, 05:17 PM
An extra vowel would expand the alphabet more than a consonant I think

Rain Man
05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
My initial entry is a new vowel, that will be pronounced "Ayuh" (with a long a sound at the beginning). The symbol for Ayuh will look like this:

JBucc
05-15-2006, 05:19 PM
I propose G, lowercase g. It looks and is pronounced exactly like a regular G, but it's a vowel.

morphius
05-15-2006, 05:21 PM
We need unglouts!!!

or howerever you spell it.

morphius
okay umlaut, my bad.

morphius
05-15-2006, 05:25 PM
I also think we need to to replace something common that takes up too many charecters, like something to replace the "ough"

Boozer
05-15-2006, 05:27 PM
We need unglouts!!!

or howerever you spell it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/LLama.jpg/444px-LLama.jpg
?

morphius
05-15-2006, 05:28 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/LLama.jpg/444px-LLama.jpg
?
No, the two litte dots above a letter in German.

Crush
05-15-2006, 05:31 PM
ii All the tastiness of a single i, but there's more of it.

Boozer
05-15-2006, 05:31 PM
No, the two litte dots above a letter in German.

Umlaut? Not Ungulate?

Skip Towne
05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
?
Alpaca! Alpaca!

Rain Man
05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
I also think we need to to replace something common that takes up too many charecters, like something to replace the "ough"

Yes! Exactly!

FAX
05-15-2006, 05:34 PM
puh (pronounced "puh")

symbol attached.

FAX

morphius
05-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Umlaut? Not Ungulate?
There you go, thanks!

It was driving me nuts, I knew that didn't look right but it has been... ummm way too long since I have seen umlaut written out.

Crush
05-15-2006, 05:36 PM
...or we could just borrow letters and symbols. Take your pick: æ œ ų Θ Φ Δ ΐΞ Π ε α β ξ ς ψ φ ω ж.

Rain Man
05-15-2006, 05:37 PM
No! No borrowing! This is our chance to create something entirely new.

AustinChief
05-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Inroducing the vowel/consonent HAR! The h is ALMOST silent and the r is rolled HEAVILY actually not so much an R as a gargle noise... think Chewbacca.

Here it is in block letter and cursive!

Crush
05-15-2006, 05:49 PM
How about this? I call a "seevee" and is pronounced like a cross between a short a and w.

4th and Long
05-15-2006, 05:49 PM
This, my friends, is my submission.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the ...

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7119/oi1ti.gif

It's pronounced like buoy, but without the b.

Run with it.

Crush
05-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Would implementing numbers into the alphabet be considered new?

Calcountry
05-15-2006, 06:43 PM
We're constantly developing new technologies, new slang, and new concepts, and there's got to be some sort of practical limit on the number of new words that we can create using our current alphabet.

I think it's time to come up with a new letter and sound, and I'm thinking it needs to be a vowel, though I'm flexible on it. (I also really like those swing letters like y that can be used as both a vowel and a consonant.)

Please submit your suggestions here. What we need is both a symbol for the alphabet, and then also a description of the sound. Also, let us know if it would be used as a vowel or a consonant. Remember, usability is a key.I've got it!

It is the vre sound in Brett Favre.

If we can denote this letter as say the ~ then the fool could spell his dam name right as in Brett Fa~.

RealSNR
05-15-2006, 08:58 PM
I really like the concept behind "w". Two U's fused together in one shape to make a consonant.

I propose we make a double-o. It would look like an 8 lying on its side.

It would make the "wh" sound, only a harsher.

It would kind of start from the back of the throat, with air moving foward very quickly and the tail end of it would make a "wahh" sound, only less noticeable.

It'd be just like saying "hoo-wha" only really fast... like, in a split second.

This is a good idea because of the shape of your mouth when you say a "u" sound. Your mouth is in perfect form to make a "wah" sound from that. Make an "o" sound with your mouth. Now a double-o would add onto that with the "hwah" feel.

This could work and you all know it.

Moooo
05-15-2006, 09:08 PM
I think it should look like an h, but instead of the n bottome half, it should have an m bottom half... like lm fused together...

And for that matter, why don't we make "q" sound like "qu?" I mean, there's almost no words in the english language that doen't require a "u" after a "q," why don't we just make the "u" understood?

Moooo

big nasty kcnut
05-15-2006, 09:13 PM
- sound like feozguzh

Rausch
05-15-2006, 09:53 PM
My entries are:

Phee (pronounced "Fee.")

And Tor (pronounced "Tore.")

BucEyedPea
05-15-2006, 10:09 PM
My entries are:

Phee (pronounced "Fee.")

This one looks likes Skip's wheelchair.

RealSNR
05-15-2006, 10:20 PM
I think it should look like an h, but instead of the n bottome half, it should have an m bottom half... like lm fused together...

And for that matter, why don't we make "q" sound like "qu?" I mean, there's almost no words in the english language that doen't require a "u" after a "q," why don't we just make the "u" understood?

MooooThe entire nation of Qatar will be on your doorstep very soon.

Moooo
05-15-2006, 10:43 PM
The entire nation of Qatar will be on your doorstep very soon.

They're all good. They can be like cyrillic. We put letters together that don't make any sense phonetically to make words that defy all English language rules. They can run on the same principle. I call it the Mike Krzyewski effect.

Moooo

RealSNR
05-15-2006, 10:54 PM
They're all good. They can be like cyrillic. We put letters together that don't make any sense phonetically to make words that defy all English language rules. They can run on the same principle. I call it the Mike Krzyewski effect.

MooooDon't forget Brett Favre

BucEyedPea
05-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Since I teach typography I have a hard time with the idea of mixing cyrillic in our alphabet which came from the Phoenicians>Greeks>Romans>all that highly skilled work of western artisans. So I'm goin' conservative....something that will blend with our alphabet....of course it's also completely unoriginal.

It's a blended vowel. Which resembles an eight on its side or can be an infinity
symbol. Allows writers one stroke on a keyboard for a certain word. And can be used in making international pictographs to transcend language barriers.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2940/oo2qq.gif (http://imageshack.us)

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4065/noob1yu.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Of course, I was inspired by antics I encountered on this planet.

Thig Lyfe
05-15-2006, 11:14 PM
(.)Y(.)

That should be a letter. Tee hee. It's pronounced "boobys". LOL

BucEyedPea
05-15-2006, 11:40 PM
(.)Y(.)

That should be a letter. Tee hee. It's pronounced "boobys". LOL

ROFL
I love it...it's my favorite!
Not sure you absolutely need the Y though.

luv
05-15-2006, 11:43 PM
ROFL
I've always seen it as...

(.Y.)

BucEyedPea
05-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Yeah...that would be more like it.
I've never seen that one before.

listopencil
05-16-2006, 12:13 AM
If anything we need to cut back on the letters of our alphabet or reform the pronunciation guidelines- The letter c should only stand for the ch in "chip" sound. G should only be a hard g, we already have j. Get rid of the letter x. Get rid of the letter q and use k and ku instead.

chefsos
05-16-2006, 12:18 AM
If anything we need to cut back on the letters of our alphabet or reform the pronunciation guidelines- The letter c should only stand for the ch in "chip" sound. G should only be a hard g, we already have j. Get rid of the letter x. Get rid of the letter q and use k and ku instead.
Get rid of Q? Donks fans-your just jealous lol.

StcChief
05-16-2006, 07:06 AM
...or we could just borrow letters and symbols. Take your pick: æ œ ų Θ Φ Δ ΐΞ Π ε α β ξ ς ψ φ ω ж.

or just use a Wingding font character. Except for web page use.
http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html

Skip Towne
05-16-2006, 07:33 AM
No, we need fewer letters. This is just Rainman trying to cause trouble again.

BucEyedPea
05-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Good point listopencil...but how 'bout two letters that make one sound.
We could make those into one...no?

Now that I've had more time:

First one at the top replaces the long "o" sound in words that end in "e" to give it the long sound. Now it has it's very own letter. Fooled around with some others. Finally came up with one that is cyrillic. Gotta' keep 'em simple to write. Otherwise wind up with a Chinese character system. Gotta make 'em harmonize with our other letters imo.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8601/letters6ue.gif (http://imageshack.us)

broncoholic
05-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Why not add @ to the alphabet...we already use it enough.

Sully
05-16-2006, 09:35 AM
We need to get rid of at least one letter. I've honestly given this a lot of thought, and decided that the letter "C" is useless. Any sound made by "C" can be made by another letter. Runner-up goes to "Y."

broncoholic
05-16-2006, 09:42 AM
We need to get rid of at least one letter. I've honestly given this a lot of thought, and decided that the letter "C" is useless. Any sound made by "C" can be made by another letter. Runner-up goes to "Y."
GO Heifs!

Bob Dole
05-16-2006, 10:28 AM
ROFL

The added Y signifies implants.

chefsos
05-16-2006, 11:09 AM
GO Heifs!
[Per Sulli Rule]That's aktualli funni bronkoholik. Todae, I learned that not everi Donki fan lakks the humor gene when it komes to the Kansas Siti Khiefs.

BucEyedPea
05-16-2006, 09:26 PM
The added Y signifies implants.

Oh! I thought meant cleavage. :hmmm:

RealSNR
05-16-2006, 10:45 PM
If anything we need to cut back on the letters of our alphabet or reform the pronunciation guidelines- The letter c should only stand for the ch in "chip" sound. G should only be a hard g, we already have j. Get rid of the letter x. Get rid of the letter q and use k and ku instead.If we get rid of the normal "cah" sound with the letter c, then when ku is supposed to represent q, it could go either way.

The word "kuail" could be pronounced as "quail" like it's supposed to, or "ku-ail"

Talisman
05-16-2006, 11:24 PM
I call it "wii."