PDA

View Full Version : Vic Carucci's take on Pollard

The Poz
05-16-2006, 08:35 AM
•Keep an eye on rookie safety Bernard Pollard, the Kansas City Chiefs' second-round pick from Purdue. At 6-foot-1 and 220 pounds, he has tremendous size for his position, and he used every bit of it during his college career to establish himself as perhaps the best hitter among the safeties in the draft. Pollard should make an immediate impact, especially as the eighth man in the box in run support. He enhances his physical style by showing good smarts and instincts that allow him to quickly identify when a running play is coming and avoid taking false steps. Gunther Cunningham, the Chiefs' defensive coordinator, absolutely loves the guy. "He plays the game angry," Cunningham said. "One of the things that you've got to have on defense is ... a pacesetter, the guy that's going to put the hit on (videotape) like John Lynch. Bernard Pollard has that ability."
I know we've heard alot of this during mini camp but it's nice to hear it from one of the NFL's lead columnists instead of going on how he was a reach for the 2nd round. Can't wait to see him drill whoever's in his way.

FAX
05-16-2006, 08:49 AM
For some reason, when I read these comparisons to Lynch, I see a future in which hundreds of drives are kept alive by personal foul penalties.

There may well be a psychological disorder wherein one fears everything associated with Cunningham's side of the LOS. Like Chiefs Defense Syndrome or Gunaphobia or something.

FAX

pikesome
05-16-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm just wondering where he lines up. Does he take Knight's spot? Maybe FS? I'd just like an idea who's gonna do what in our secondary. So would Gunther I'm afraid.

Bootlegged
05-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Pollard will obviously start opposite Surtain at CB.

Archie Bunker
05-16-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm just wondering where he lines up. Does he take Knight's spot? Maybe FS? I'd just like an idea who's gonna do what in our secondary. So would Gunther I'm afraid.

I think he takes Knight's spot at some point maybe even by the start of the season. FS is still a trouble spot Wesley might be ok in his 2nd year at FS or maybe a guy like Bartee steps up and takes the FS job.

BigChiefFan
05-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Pollard has the intimidation factor working in his favor, already. He's a headhunter and I wouldn't be surprised to see him making a contribution early on. It's nice to see him get some recognition. I can't wait to see this kid knock some people on their asses.

htismaqe
05-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Knight will start the year at SS, Pollard will finish the year there...

KChiefs1
05-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Who Am I?

POSITIVES: Hard hitting, intimidating safety who likes to mix it up. Flies around the football, displays a closing burst of speed on his way to the action and sacrifices his body to stop the ball carrier. Plays sideline-to-sideline, tough and mentally alert on the field. Works well with cornerbacks, improved his cover skills as a senior and does a solid job manning center field. Fluid in his hips and displays a good back pedal as well as sound cover fundamentals if placed over the slot receiver. Tough and plays with or through pain.

NEGATIVES: Hesitant to react at times and does not always display a decisive move on the ball. Lacks the great recovery speed and better off in a short field.
TROY POLAMALU

I can see a definite correlation between Pollard & Polamalu.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Polamalu is kind of short and squatty. Pollard reminds me more of a young Greg Wesley...before GROB ruined him.

I think Pollard will end up replacing Wesley at free safety, because from the sounds of it he's already our best cover safety. Unless Wesley keeps picking off passes, of course...

Coogs
05-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Gunther Cunningham, the Chiefs' defensive coordinator, absolutely loves the guy. "He plays the game angry," Cunningham said.

I see Gun came up with something original again. :rolleyes:

jspchief
05-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I see Gun came up with something original again. :rolleyes:I see you're inventing new ways to piss and moan about Gunther. :rolleyes:

kcxiv
05-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Honestly what do you want gun to say about it? he plays mean and angry, thats how he plays? How would you like him to word it?

dj56dt58
05-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Polamalu is kind of short and squatty. Pollard reminds me more of a young Greg Wesley...before GROB ruined him.

I think Pollard will end up replacing Wesley at free safety, because from the sounds of it he's already our best cover safety. Unless Wesley keeps picking off passes, of course...
Unfortunately for Wesley, we don't play New England this season, meaning Brady can't throw 3 passes right to him.

pikesome
05-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Honestly what do you want gun to say about it? he plays mean and angry, thats how he plays? How would you like him to word it?

At least he didn't say that Pollard was the fastest guy at camp.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately for Wesley, we don't play New England this season, meaning Brady can't throw 3 passes right to him.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3049026&postcount=106

pikesome
05-16-2006, 11:22 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3049026&postcount=106

During the Raider's @ KC last year I watched Wesley lollygag around for the first part of the game. Didn't even try to catch two possible interceptions. He did end up with one but I think that's because the booing got to him.

Chiefnj
05-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Knight will start the year at SS, Pollard will finish the year there...

What veteran is going to make on field adjustments?

Hammock Parties
05-16-2006, 11:44 AM

Patrick Surtain?

I admit I like Knight a great deal.

htismaqe
05-16-2006, 11:47 AM

What?

JBucc
05-16-2006, 11:50 AM
What veteran is going to make on field adjustments?Kawika? Isn't it usually the MLB's job anyway?

Coogs
05-16-2006, 12:52 PM
I see you're inventing new ways to piss and moan about Gunther. :rolleyes:

:)

Chief Faithful
05-16-2006, 12:55 PM
This pick reminds me so much of the Kawika Mitchell selection. A defender who hits hard and plays angry. I just hope Pollard can develop in less than 3 years.

Ralphy Boy
05-16-2006, 04:18 PM
... or maybe a guy like Bartee steps up and takes the FS job.

yeah speaking of guys with a history of stepping up. :rolleyes:

Rain Man
05-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Bartee has great measurables.

LiL stumppy
05-16-2006, 05:18 PM

He will play SS.SS are the run supporters in the secondary,and with his size,it makes sense to put him there.

NJ Chief Fan
05-16-2006, 05:25 PM

didnt we draft the kid to be the lt of the future?

keg in kc
05-16-2006, 06:11 PM
What veteran is going to make on field adjustments?That definitely made all the difference last year.

Halfcan
05-16-2006, 08:09 PM

I agree, but it is hard to measure those intangible measurables, that sometimes seem intangilble and irrelevant.

Halfcan
05-16-2006, 08:10 PM
I like his name: Bonecrusher!!

Much better than Mighty Mouse, Burnfiled, and Tiny Dex.

UteChief
05-16-2006, 08:19 PM
I am just excited about watching this guy play. I don't care whose job he takes.

milkman
05-16-2006, 08:53 PM
He will play SS.SS are the run supporters in the secondary,and with his size,it makes sense to put him there.

I believe you need to check your sarcasm detector.
It seems to be broken.

58-4ever
05-16-2006, 08:54 PM

Bartee was even terrible at OU. That was one of the biggest WTF picks ever.