PDA

View Full Version : For all you Manny Lawson lovers....

recxjake
05-16-2006, 10:32 AM
49ers | Team pencils in Lawson at right outside linebacker
Tue, 16 May 2006 08:43:12 -0700

Dennis Georgatos, writing for the Sporting News, reports San Francisco 49ers rookie LB Manny Lawson is being penciled in as the right outside linebacker to fill the role left vacant by LB Julian Peterson's departure to Seattle. His speed, strength and arm reach make him a formidable edge rusher on passing downs, though he'll be matched up most of the time against the league's elite pass blockers at left tackle.

He would not have been a good fit for us...

dj56dt58
05-16-2006, 10:44 AM
he would be if he turns out to be an elite linebacker. And just because their using him at linebacker doesn't mean we couldn't have still used him on the line. I think Hali will be good..but I think Lawson will be great..just a feeling I have

htismaqe
05-16-2006, 10:47 AM
he would be if he turns out to be an elite linebacker. And just because their using him at linebacker doesn't mean we couldn't have still used him on the line. I think Hali will be good..but I think Lawson will be great..just a feeling I have

Being great means nothing if you don't have a position for a guy...it's precisely why the Chiefs relegated Kendrell Bell to suck status...

Chiefnj
05-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Comparing Lawson to Hali from this point forward is useless. Different positions, different schemes, etc. Kind of like people who say Merriman is better than DJ.

Fire Me Boy!
05-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Ummmm... how about the fact that at under 240 pounds linemen would pick his ass up and benchpress him, totally negating his speed?

Iowanian
05-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Lawson is way undersized to be very effective on an NFL Dline.

dj56dt58
05-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Lawson is way undersized to be very effective on an NFL Dline.
You mean like Dwight Freeney is?

htismaqe
05-16-2006, 12:23 PM
You mean like Dwight Freeney is?

Manny Lawson is at least 5 inches taller than Freeney. You do know how much of a difference that makes, don't you?

dj56dt58
05-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Being great means nothing if you don't have a position for a guy...it's precisely why the Chiefs relegated Kendrell Bell to suck status...
Theres always position for an elite player..Your saying if we drafted another linebacker and he turned out to be as good as DT was..we would get rid of him because we already have our 3 starting linebackers?

Basileus777
05-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Manny Lawson is at least 5 inches taller than Freeney. You do know how much of a difference that makes, don't you?

Not only is he shorter, Freeny is also almost 20 pounds heavier.

recxjake
05-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Theres always position for an elite player..Your saying if we drafted another linebacker and he turned out to be as good as DT was..we would get rid of him because we already have our 3 starting linebackers?

well there was no guarentee that he was an elite player... his size made him a liability.... tamba was much safer

if the chiefs drafted first i would not have wanted them to get bush either... theres no need.... we dont need another lb

Eleazar
05-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I got laughed at for bringing this up once, I believe, that Lawson would play linebacker in the NFL.

Reaper16
05-16-2006, 12:37 PM
I got laughed at for bringing this up once, I believe, that Lawson would play linebacker in the NFL.
There was a major mancrush on Lawson at one time. I was never confident about him, I was more of a Cromartie, then Hali guy.

Spicy McHaggis
05-16-2006, 12:39 PM
I think the majority of people expected him to play LB w/ Peterson jetting to Seattle. There isn't anything really shocking about this move.

Coogs
05-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Comparing Lawson to Hali from this point forward is useless. Different positions, different schemes, etc. Kind of like people who say Merriman is better than DJ.

:thumb:

There is no doubt a player like Lawson would have helped our team. But it is useless now to compare the two.

recxjake
05-16-2006, 12:58 PM
"Linebacker Manny Lawson, one of San Francisco's two first-round choices, drew some mixed reviews during the 49ers minicamp. I'm never comfortable judging what a player does in shorts and a T-shirt in non-contact practices. I'm especially uncomfortable doing that with a defensive player. But the fact Lawson, the former defensive end from North Carolina State, was unable to finish a fairly intense shuttle drill was hard to ignore. Mike Singletary, the 49ers' linebackers coach, no doubt wanted his younger players to get an early taste of the much heavier physical and psychological demands they can expect in the NFL. Although the 6-foot-5, 238-pound Lawson offers plenty of smarts and speed as an edge pass rusher, he had better develop some endurance in a hurry. The 49ers already have him working at the starting outside linebacker spot once occupied by Pro Bowler Julian Peterson, who signed with Seattle in March as a free agent."

www.nfl.com/news/story/9441343

From Vic Carucci
NFL.com

dj56dt58
05-16-2006, 01:20 PM
well there was no guarentee that he was an elite player... his size made him a liability.... tamba was much safer

if the chiefs drafted first i would not have wanted them to get bush either... theres no need.... we dont need another lb

I agree 100%. I just see Lawson as having the better career because of his versatility. Who knows..hopefull I'm wrong. I do think Hali will have a nice career though..especially if he has the talent around to complement his style. Right now we need to get some Defensive tackles who can collapse the pocket

htismaqe
05-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I agree 100%. I just see Lawson as having the better career because of his versatility. Who knows..hopefull I'm wrong. I do think Hali will have a nice career though..especially if he has the talent around to complement his style. Right now we need to get some Defensive tackles who can collapse the pocket

Versatility? Actually, Lawson does one thing and does it VERY well.

Iowanian
05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Lawson would have been a speed pass rusher and he would have been a liability in the running game at DE...IMO.

He's more suited for OLB and a blitzing-pass rusher.

He's also not as heavy as Freeney.

As for "getting pocket crushing DTs right now"....pffffft. Its a little late in the process for that, unless someone like steve Williams or Guerro are a huge find in the discount bins.