PDA

View Full Version : Music Black Sabbath are lords over all that they survey

Reaper16
05-16-2006, 12:33 PM
This is irrefutable. Geezer and Ward will bludgeon you with thier savage rhythms. Ozzy captures darkness, gloom, and maniacal states of mind and throws them into one haunting voice. Most importantly, Tony Iommi will crush you, body and soul, under the weight of his devastatingly beautiful guitar tone. His riffs will lay slaughter to all of your musical preconceptions. The not only invented a whole genre of music (Heavy Metal), they then expanded upon what they created and invented a sub genre of that genre (Doom Metal, named after the track "Hand of Doom").

Step up to the dark altar and testify to the power and majesty of Black f***ing Sabbath.

Reaper16
05-16-2006, 12:41 PM
I will add that the three albums with Ronnie James Dio, he of the most metal vocal cords on earth, are just as excellent as the Ozzy material. Some would contend that "Heaven and Hell" is the best Sabbath record.

Brock
05-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Ozzy wears a diaper.

ChiefFripp
05-16-2006, 12:49 PM
This was true 30+ years ago , now Ozzy is a jump- jacking monkey and Sabbath are a cabaret act. If Sabbath actually still released decent music I'd cut them some slack , but they are more or less The Eagles of Metal.

Reaper16
05-16-2006, 12:52 PM
This was true 30+ years ago , now Ozzy is a jump- jacking monkey and Sabbath are a cabaret act. If Sabbath actually still released decent music I'd cut them some slack , but they are more or less The Eagles of Metal.
Who cares about the present? I'm talking about the power of thier recorded material here.

ChiefFripp
05-16-2006, 12:56 PM
They WERE great, I'll give you that. I'm sure alot of the bands I love wouldn't even exist(or atleast wouldn't sound the same), if it weren't for Sab.

StcChief
05-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Sabbath went down hill after Vol.4

jlscorpio
05-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Into the Void is freaking MAJESTIC!!!

PunkinDrublic
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Sabbath is one of the greatest non-Tool bands of all time.

ChiefFripp
05-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Sabbath is one of the greatest non-Tool bands of all time.
I actually hear alot of Tool's influence in Sabbath. I think young Jon Osbourne was a huge fan from the time he saw them playing the MEC in Birmingham, England.

Reaper16
05-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Sabbath went down hill after Vol.4
I'm listening to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath right now, and "A National Acrobat," "Sabara Cadabra," and "Spiral Architect" beg to differ. Actually, they're calling you a liar.

Reaper16
05-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Testify, damnit! One of the most bewildering things in music is that for a band as popular and universally acclaimed as Black Sabbath, thier catalog remains so unexplored even by it's legions of fans. We always hear the same Sabbath songs over and over, and the rest of their library gets nary a mention.
jlscorpio cited the glory of "Into the Void," and that's the kind of thing I want to see. Testify to your masters!

ChiefFripp
05-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Testify, damnit! One of the most bewildering things in music is that for a band as popular and universally acclaimed as Black Sabbath, thier catalog remains so unexplored even by it's legions of fans. We always hear the same Sabbath songs over and over, and the rest of their library gets nary a mention.
jlscorpio cited the glory of "Into the Void," and that's the kind of thing I want to see. Testify to your masters!
I like alot of the DIO stuff. They kind of lost me after that. ARe the Gillian albums okay in your opinion?

Reaper16
05-16-2006, 04:57 PM
I like alot of the DIO stuff. They kind of lost me after that. ARe the Gillian albums okay in your opinion?
I really haven't listened to any non-Ozzy or Dio album. I should get around to finding lost gems in those, but I haven't. Most of the non-Ozzy & Dio albums are not well regarded.

Reaper16
05-16-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm listening to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath right now, and "A National Acrobat," "Sabara Cadabra," and "Spiral Architect" beg to differ. Actually, they're calling you a liar.
I'm now listening to "Sabotage," and Symptom of the Universe, aka 7,000%-surgeon-general's-reccomended-amount-of-heavy, also says Sabbath had plenty in the tank after Vol. 4.

Reaper16
05-16-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm now listening to "Sabotage," and Megalomania and Symptom of the Universe, aka 7,000%-surgeon-general's-reccomended-amount-of-heavy, also says Sabbath had plenty in the tank after Vol. 4.

Nzoner
05-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Megalomania is my fav Sabbath song and agreed it definitely prooves they had plenty left in them.

I'll even go as far to say Technical Ecstasy had some decent tunes as well.Dirty Women has great riff.

jlscorpio
05-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Killing Yourself to Live, Lord of this World, Children of the Grave....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alpha_omega
05-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Some would contend that "Heaven and Hell" is the best Sabbath record.

That would be my contention!

jlscorpio
05-18-2006, 02:33 PM
is past lives good?

Nightwish
05-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I will add that the three albums with Ronnie James Dio, he of the most metal vocal cords on earth, are just as excellent as the Ozzy material. Some would contend that "Heaven and Hell" is the best Sabbath record.
I didn't care much for the Dehumanizer album, the one on which they reunited with Dio, but the two original albums with Dio (Heaven and Hell, The Mob Rules) were phenomenal. By the way, you can count me in with the "Heaven and Hell is the best Sabbath album" crowd. I can't say anything bad about any of the Ozzy albums, and the Born Again album with Ian Gillian (Deep Purple) was great, too, not to mention that "Zero the Hero" is one of the creepiest riff patterns around! I didn't care for any of the Ray Gillen or Glenn Hughes albums. Ron Keel was briefly a member, but I think he got fired before they actually recorded anything, though it would have been interesting to see how his type of hair metal voice meshed with Sabbath's brooding style. Did you know that Bev Bevan (ELO) was briefly a drummer for them? I just have a hard time saying ELO and Black Sabbath in the same sentence!

jlscorpio
08-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Bump, in thy name of "Killing yourself to Live"

Reaper16
08-08-2008, 08:15 PM
This is one of my favorite threads.

NP: Symptom of the Universe

Jawshco
08-09-2008, 08:45 PM

The Eagles of Metal? Isn't there an actual band called. Maybe it's the Eagles of Death Metal, LOL~

Jawshco
08-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I didn't care much for the Dehumanizer album, the one on which they reunited with Dio, but the two original albums with Dio (Heaven and Hell, The Mob Rules) were phenomenal. By the way, you can count me in with the "Heaven and Hell is the best Sabbath album" crowd. I can't say anything bad about any of the Ozzy albums, and the Born Again album with Ian Gillian (Deep Purple) was great, too, not to mention that "Zero the Hero" is one of the creepiest riff patterns around! I didn't care for any of the Ray Gillen or Glenn Hughes albums. Ron Keel was briefly a member, but I think he got fired before they actually recorded anything, though it would have been interesting to see how his type of hair metal voice meshed with Sabbath's brooding style. Did you know that Bev Bevan (ELO) was briefly a drummer for them? I just have a hard time saying ELO and Black Sabbath in the same sentence!

Awesome, I didn't know that. That's a cool bit of trivia. I love ELO and Sabbath, so it's no problem for me.

LOL, I have no idea who Ron Keel is... I think you got me beat on the rock trivia.

I like the Born Again album, but as I said before, it probably ranks up there with the worst lyrics ever! The Zero the Hero chorus sounds like it was inspired by Hulk Hogan: "Whatch gonna be, Whatch gonna be brother?/ZERO THE HERO!!!" LOL! But the guitar line is awesome. I've always wanted to find a new *ahem* use for that verse riff, it's one of the best Iommi riffs ever.

I love Dehuminizer album. Dude, Too Late, Computer God and I (H&H, play this so awesome live!) are all really great songs. TV Crimes is also fun.

My favorite Sabbath song changes from time to time, but right now it's Lord of this World. It's got one Ozzy's coolest vocal melodies and a very strange blend 60's-ish style music with a Metal groove. Plus, it has that creepy sound and the beginning...what the heck is that? It sounds like my folk's plumbing.