PDA

View Full Version : Edward's practices vs Vermeil practices

blueballs
05-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Edward's practices are short and quick
Vermeil's were long and exhausting

will FAs be more interested in being a Chief now?

is it still all about the money?

is KC just seen as being boring for a
young stud with cash to spend and
hotties to chase?

teedubya
05-16-2006, 05:35 PM
I think that... oh a butterfly.

Where was I? Oh...

Damn ADD threads get me everytime.

morphius
05-16-2006, 05:37 PM
It's still the money.

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2006, 05:40 PM
When it comes to that it ain't San Diego

CoMoChief
05-16-2006, 05:49 PM
As I posted in another thread, I think shorter, smarter, faster, and more uptempo practices are always better in almost every sport. Take basketball for example, I hate the coaches that spend an hour on just running sprints. The conditioning is good for you they say, but I think its bullshit. Play a half court game and within minutes youll be sweating your ass off. Not to mention you'll be perfecting the offense and defense. You get conditioning when you play the game over and over and over.

blueballs
05-16-2006, 06:24 PM
I think that... oh a butterfly.

Where was I? Oh...

Damn ADD threads get me everytime.

for board sakes
I hope your next boyfriend
weans you from the sac
no more cold turkey

teedubya
05-16-2006, 08:58 PM
for board sakes
I hope your next boyfriend
weans you from the sac
no more cold turkey

I think kcnut has an alias...

hypersensitiveZO6
05-16-2006, 09:00 PM

58-4ever
05-16-2006, 09:02 PM

this is a repost of a picture I posted. Thief!

hypersensitiveZO6
05-16-2006, 09:05 PM
this is a repost of a picture I posted. Thief!

probably all over the internet. i found it on google.:toast:

Lurch
05-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Artist: 50 Cent Lyrics (http://www.lyrics007.com/50%20Cent%20Lyrics.html)Song: In Da Club Lyrics

[50 Cent]
Go, go, go, go
Go, go, go shawty
It's your birthday
We gon' party like it's yo birthday
We gon' sip Bacardi like it's your birthday
And you know we don't give a ****
It's not your birthday!

[Chorus] (2x)
You can find me in the club, bottle full of bub
Look mami I got the X if you into taking drugs
I'm into having sex, I ain't into making love
So come give me a hug if you into to getting rubbed

[Verse]
When I pull out up front, you see the Benz on dubs
When I roll 20 deep, it's 20 knives in the club
*****s heard I **** with Dre, now they wanna show me love
When you sell like Eminem, and the hoes they wanna ****
But homie ain't nothing change hold down, G's up
I see Xzibit in the Cutt that ***** roll that weed up
If you watch how I move you'll mistake me for a playa or pimp
Been hit wit a few shells but I dont walk wit a limp
In the hood then the ladies saying "50 you hot"
They like me, I want them to love me like they love 'Pac
But holla in New York them *****s'll tell ya im loco
And the plan is to put the rap game in a choke hold
I'm feelin' focused man, my money on my mind
I got a mill out the deal and I'm still on the grind
Now shawty said she feeling my style, she feeling my flow
Her girlfriend wanna get bi and they ready to go

[Chorus] (2x)

[Bridge]
My flow, my show brought me the doe
That bought me all my fancy things
My crib, my cars, my pools, my jewels
Look ***** I got K-Mart and I ain't change

[Verse]
And you should love it, way more then you hate it
***** you mad? I thought that you'd be happy I made it
I'm that cat by the bar toasting to the good life
You that faggot ass ***** trying to pull me back right?
When my junk get to pumpin in the club it's on
I wink my eye at ya bitch, if she smiles she gone
If the roof on fire, let the mother****er burn
If you talking bout money homie, I ain't concerned
I'm a tell you what Banks told me cause go 'head switch the style up
If the *****s hate then let 'em hate
Watch the money pile up
Or we go upside there wit a bottle of bub
You know where we ****ing be

[Chorus] (2x)

[Talking]
(laughing) Don't try to act like you ain't know where we been either *****
In the club all the time *****, its about to pop off *****
G-Unit

teedubya
05-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Bob by Al Yankovic

I, man, am regal - a German am I
Never odd or even
If I had a hi-fi
Madam, I'm Adam
Too hot to hoot
No lemons, no melon
Too bad I hid a boot
Lisa Bonet ate no basil
Warsaw was raw
Was it a car or a cat I saw?

Rise to vote, sir
Do geese see God?
"Do nine men interpret?" "Nine men," I nod
Rats live on no evil star
Won't lovers revolt now?
Race fast, safe car
Pa's a sap
Ma is as selfless as I am
May a moody baby doom a yam?

Ah, Satan sees Natasha
No devil lived on
Lonely Tylenol
Not a banana baton
No "x" in "Nixon"
O, stone, be not so
O Geronimo, no minor ego
"Naomi," I moan
"A Toyota's a Toyota"
A dog, a panic in a pagoda

Oh no! Don Ho!
Nurse, I spy gypsies - run!
Senile felines
Now I see bees I won
UFO tofu
We panic in a pew
Oozy rat in a sanitary zoo
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog

FloridaMan88
05-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Edward's practices are short and quick
Vermeil's were long and exhausting

will FAs be more interested in being a Chief now?

is it still all about the money?

is KC just seen as being boring for a
young stud with cash to spend and
hotties to chase?

As long as Peterson is still in KC, nothing will change with regards to free agency.

milkman
05-17-2006, 07:32 AM
As long as Peterson is still in KC, nothing will change with regards to free agency.

I think Parker's post from another thread works as a response here.

Yeah, it's Carl's money.

StcChief
05-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Better quality practice makes team work together better.
Drag them out breaks moral long term.

Everyone works together better at a faster pace practice. If they can all get on same page.

Time for guys that fall behind to think about it and get better study techniques, film, playbook, work individually with coaches etc.

Amnorix
05-17-2006, 07:37 AM
You get conditioning when you play the game over and over and over.

Not in the NFL these days. "playing your way into shape" is about 20 years dead and gone.

These days it's about year-around conditioning. By the time training camp starts, you ALREADY need to be in very good shape. Not "game shape" but very, very good shape. It's not tiem to get into shape, it's time to get the playbook down.

htismaqe
05-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Not in the NFL these days. "playing your way into shape" is about 20 years dead and gone.

These days it's about year-around conditioning. By the time training camp starts, you ALREADY need to be in very good shape. Not "game shape" but very, very good shape. It's not tiem to get into shape, it's time to get the playbook down.

His original point still holds.

Short but intense practices, concentrating on working the mental aspects of the game (scheming, etc.) are more effective in this day and age than Vermeil's 3-hour marathons.

King_Chief_Fan
05-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Those practices must be grueling........... I saw where the great Scanlon was experincing back pain after mini camp

Chiefnj
05-17-2006, 09:21 AM
His original point still holds.

Short but intense practices, concentrating on working the mental aspects of the game (scheming, etc.) are more effective in this day and age than Vermeil's 3-hour marathons.

We'll see.

Short intense practices are probably good for Herm because he was known to choke in NY in pressure situations. I don't see the harm in longer practices making sure players know what the heck is going on under new systems and then building toward practices that mimic real game intensity. To each his own.

Coogs
05-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Interesting bit from kcchiefs.com on this topic...

GRETZ: The Practice of Practice
May 17, 2006, 8:31:04 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

There’s been a lot made this week about the tempo of practices around Arrowhead Stadium under Herman Edwards.

Everybody’s talking about the quicker pace, the shorter workouts and the fact this is going to be a major change for the veterans when they all converge on the Sports Complex for this weekend’s three-practice mini-camp.

Based on what was visible last week during the rookie mini-camp, the practices are quicker and they are shorter in the length of time that the players are on the field. And yes, this is different than what the players regularly saw under Dick Vermeil.

But there’s nothing revolutionary to what Edwards is doing. Any member of the Chiefs who was around for the two years when Gunther Cunningham was the head coach will notice many similarities to the pace of those practices. A lot of folks with very short and shallow memories like to make fun of Cunningham’s two years in charge of the Chiefs. But in many ways Gun was ahead of his time. And remember, he was .500 in those two seasons and won as many games in the playoffs as Vermeil did in five years.

Let’s address something right now about practice: players are never happy when it comes to practice. They’ve been complaining about them since the first time a coach organized a workout at some point other than the game. If players aren’t complaining about practices, then something is very wrong.

Players for years have groaned about the time they spent on the practice field under Vermeil. It goes all the way back to his days at UCLA, heck, it probably goes back to his days as a high school coach. It was a problem for some players in Philadelphia, St. Louis and Kansas City. They loved to create this image about how hard Vermeil worked them. Let’s consider an average practice week under the Chiefs former head coach:

Monday: no practice the day after a victory, and sometimes no practice after a defeat. If there was a workout, it was about 60 minutes or less.
Tuesday: day off.
Wednesday: 2_- hour practice.
Thursday: 2_-hour practice.
Friday: 90-minute practice
Saturday: less than 60 minutes on the field, sometimes no practice at all.
Sunday: game day.
So, in a given week under the great taskmaster Vermeil, the players had a grand total, if all the workouts were held, of just more than eight hours of practice time, or an average in any given week of 75 minutes per day for six days. What brutality! Come on … are we supposed to take this kind of bellyaching seriously? Don’t try selling this to some guy who is working construction, or some woman waiting on tables, or any other of the thousands of jobs that require more time on their feet than these guys suffered through over the last five years.

Players complained about Marty Schottenheimer’s practice habits as well. They always like to regurgitate their thoughts that they often left their game on the practice field on Thursday because Schottenheimer kept them in pads and there was contact during the week.

Comments like those and the complaints about hard practices all fall under the same category: excuses. They are nothing more than rationalizations by players who didn’t get the job done on the field. There’s contact on Wednesday, so you can’t play up to standards on Sunday? Give me a break!

A word of caution to any current Chiefs players who think the shorter practices are some sort of early Christmas present to them from the new head coach: be careful what you wish for. Edwards may require less time on the field from his players, but that doesn’t mean he’s expecting less from the guys on the roster.

In fact, he’s expecting more than Vermeil did.

Edwards is expecting his players to be professionals, to prepare as such, to put in extra time. By the end of the week, if a player isn’t spending more time getting ready for Sunday’s game than he did under Vermeil, then he’s not getting the job done. There’s more to preparation than practicing on the field. There is study time, lots and lots and lots of study time. There is body time, conditioning and taking care of the working parts. There is peace of mind time, and that seldom includes being out and on the town until all hours of the night.

And here’s the biggest difference in Herman’s world: the players will be held accountable. In the next year, there are some players on this roster that will be sent packing because they don’t understand what it takes to be a professional. They will coast along, enjoying less time on the field and less time in meetings, deluding themselves into thinking they are prepared for Sunday afternoon. Herman Edwards will not put up with that.

Yes, the length of practices will be shorter. But the pace of preparation – on and off the field – will be much faster, harder and tougher.

58-4ever
05-17-2006, 09:27 AM
It's funny he mentions that Gun won as many playoff games as Vermeil. He fails to mention that number is 0.

Chiefnj
05-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Oh good, another article from the Chiefs PR machine about how Herm is better than Vermeil.

For years all I read from the Chiefs was how Vermeil assembled a respectable group of players, they fit the profile, he got rid of the thug image, etc. Now, several months after his departure, some of these very same players are not professional and don't understand what it takes to win.

Gunther was ahead of his time? Does Gretz mean Gunther is ahead of his time by finding out he was fired over the internet as opposed from hearing from his employer first?

Coogs
05-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Oh good, another article from the Chiefs PR machine about how Herm is better than Vermeil.

For years all I read from the Chiefs was how Vermeil assembled a respectable group of players, they fit the profile, he got rid of the thug image, etc. Now, several months after his departure, some of these very same players are not professional and don't understand what it takes to win.

Gunther was ahead of his time? Does Gretz mean Gunther is ahead of his time by finding out he was fired over the internet as opposed from hearing from his employer first?

Told ya it was interesting! :)

Coogs
05-17-2006, 09:48 AM
It's funny he mentions that Gun won as many playoff games as Vermeil. He fails to mention that number is 0.

High praise indeed for Gun!

noa
05-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Those practices must be grueling........... I saw where the great Scanlon was experincing back pain after mini camp

I overheard Scanlon say, ""If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now."

King_Chief_Fan
05-17-2006, 10:11 AM
I overheard Scanlon say, ""If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now."

You do a great IversonROFL

htismaqe
05-17-2006, 10:59 AM
We'll see.

Short intense practices are probably good for Herm because he was known to choke in NY in pressure situations. I don't see the harm in longer practices making sure players know what the heck is going on under new systems and then building toward practices that mimic real game intensity. To each his own.

My problem with Vermeil's long practices is that they were long and physically exhausting, but they never put on pads and hit each other.

Chiefnj
05-17-2006, 11:33 AM
My problem with Vermeil's long practices is that they were long and physically exhausting, but they never put on pads and hit each other.

Didn't you read the Gretz article? The players are a bunch of whiners; the practices weren't that tough. Now excuse me while I make my way to the all you can eat buffett; if only I can get around Gretz since he is holding up the line.

mcan
05-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Isn't the average football game about 3 hours long?

If you want to train for a marathon, just run the 40 yard dash every day for a year! :rolleyes:

In a game of football, you're going to have to run as hard as you can for about 10 seconds around 70 times, spaced out over a 3 hour time period. Add to that the idea that each one of your sprints will end with a violent collision.

That's what your practices should entail. About 70 sprints, spaced out over 3 hours. You may, however, want to minimize the risk of injury to your players by minimizing the number of violent collisions...

mcan
05-17-2006, 12:02 PM
And I'll go you one further...

Let me ask you: How many points did we average in the fourth quarter during the Vermeil era? Do you think those numbers are a coincidence? Maybe while other teams' defenses were tired, we treated them like red-headed step children because we were trained to flourish in the fourth quarter by PRACTICING FOR AS LONG AS THE EVENT THAT YOU'RE PRACTICING FOR!

Yes, those caps should be read as if I were yelling. Not angry... Yelling... :)

dj56dt58
05-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Isn't the average football game about 3 hours long?

If you want to train for a marathon, just run the 40 yard dash every day for a year! :rolleyes:

In a game of football, you're going to have to run as hard as you can for about 10 seconds around 70 times, spaced out over a 3 hour time period. Add to that the idea that each one of your sprints will end with a violent collision.

That's what your practices should entail. About 70 sprints, spaced out over 3 hours. You may, however, want to minimize the risk of injury to your players by minimizing the number of violent collisions...
They should end each series of sprint by running into JW. That will get them prepared for the colissions

Hammock Parties
05-17-2006, 12:08 PM

Bingo.

The number one problem with this defense, in my mind, was that they never practiced at full speed. It showed.

dj56dt58
05-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Bingo.

The number one problem with this defense, in my mind, was that they never practiced at full speed. It showed.
It really showed on the defensive side, but offensivley you could tell that they had great endurance because of their high scoring fourth quarters. Why it didn't carry over to the defense..I don't know

Hammock Parties
05-17-2006, 12:31 PM
It really showed on the defensive side, but offensivley you could tell that they had great endurance because of their high scoring fourth quarters. Why it didn't carry over to the defense..I don't know

Probably because you tend to play better when there are people chasing you.

htismaqe
05-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Didn't you read the Gretz article? The players are a bunch of whiners; the practices weren't that tough. Now excuse me while I make my way to the all you can eat buffett; if only I can get around Gretz since he is holding up the line.

I don't read Gretz, for the same reason I don't read Rufus or shaneo69.

I could care less about "watchdogs" and their witch hunts...