JBucc
05-18-2006, 12:24 PM
I hate that guy

KingPriest2
05-18-2006, 12:24 PM
It was on the front page the other day.

JBucc
05-18-2006, 12:25 PM
It was on the front page the other day.What day is today? Not the other day!

KingPriest2
05-18-2006, 12:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9441095

Tracking trends in winners, trades and cash

By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(May 15, 2006) -- May and June are the months of the year to reflect on some of the patterns of behaviors in the NFL over the past few years. It's a chance to realize that certain things are happening around us but they still might be hard to see. Here are a few examples of recent trends in the NFL.

There will be five new division champions
NFL Network video

NFL.com's Pat Kirwan goes Around the League on NFL Total Access.
Click here to watch

In the past four years, no team has won its division all four years. Not the Patriots, who lost the division to the Jets in 2002. Not the Colts, who came in second to the Titans in '02. And not even the Eagles, who surrendered the division title to the Giants this past season. The Colts are on a three-year winning streak, but time will tell if they can get four in a row.

But why did I proclaim there will be five new division winners in 2006? Because history says so. From the 2002 division winners to the 2003 champions, there were six new leaders. From 2003 to 2004, there were four new winners. And from 2004 to 2005, six new teams were proclaimed the top team.

Here are the division champions from 2005. Can you identify five teams that didn't win the division last year that will win it this year?

2005 Division Champions
AFC East: New England
AFC North: Cincinnati
AFC South: Indianapolis
AFC West: Denver
NFC East: N.Y. Giants
NFC North: Chicago
NFC South: Tampa Bay
NFC West: Seattle

Some would say the Dolphins, Steelers, Chiefs, Cowboys and Panthers have the best chance of being the five new winners. Others would claim the Ravens (if they get Steve McNair), Chargers, Redskins or Falcons have an excellent chance. All eight of the teams mentioned have as good a chance as anyone else, but did anyone pick the Bears, Bucs or Bengals last year? I know there will be five new division winners, but I can't figure out which teams are coming down and which ones are moving up.

Here's a fact that you might want to keep in mind. Only 11 of the 32 NFL teams have not won the division since 2002: the Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Texans, Jaguars, Redskins, Cowboys, Vikings, Lions, Saints and Cardinals. Could you see two or three of these teams breaking into the top spot?

Let's swap players
With teams averaging close to $8 million in salary-cap space after the Collective Bargaining Extension, there likely won't be a decent influx of talent from June 1 cuts. So now it looks like more teams are interested in swapping players on their rosters.

Others will likely follow Trent Dilfer in player-for-player swaps.
Already, the Saints were prepared to move linebacker Courtney Watson to the Dolphins for linebacker Eddie Moore, except Moore couldn't pass the physical. And the Browns sent quarterback Trent Dilfer to the 49ers for backup QB Ken Dorsey and a late pick.

This next few months could see an increase in the number of swaps around the league. As one personnel man said, "If we know a guy doesn't have a very good chance of making our team this year, we might as well entertain a straight-up trade with another team. Maybe both players make it or maybe both get cut."

Dead money is drying up
For years, teams used the June 1 date to release players because they didn't have the cap space to release them earlier in the year. As NFL teams move forward in the next few years, there will be fewer and fewer June 1 cuts because teams have the space to let them go earlier in the year and most salary-cap managers I know are committed to not going back to the "credit card" mentality used before.

For example, here are a few players cut last year after June 1 who are on the books for their old club but long forgotten as players for those teams.

Name Former team 2006 salary-cap charge
Kyle Turley St. Louis Rams $5.4 million
Johnnie Morton Kansas City Chiefs $2.3 million
Koren Robinson Seattle Seahawks $1.1 million
Bobby Taylor Seattle Seahawks $1.5 million
Chad Morton Washington Redskins $1 million
Ross Verba Cleveland Browns $900,000
Reggie Tongue New York Jets $500,000

JBucc
05-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Both Mortons are on there.

jspchief
05-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I remember thinking Morton's cap hit was going to be around 5 mil, so that certainly makes sense if you consider it's spread over 2 years.

StcChief
05-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Morton - either way ouch.

dj56dt58
05-18-2006, 12:41 PM
If he just could have hung on to the ball more often, he wouldn't have been half bad

dtrain
05-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know if there are other players still on the books and not on the team?

jspchief
05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know if there are other players still on the books and not on the team?Other than Morton, I can't remember any player we cut recently that i thought would be a big hit. I'm sure there's probably a few guys simply by the nature of cutting players before their contract is up.

Hammock Parties
05-18-2006, 12:45 PM
If he just could have hung on to the ball more often, he wouldn't have been half bad

I'd correct you, but I don't care.

Rain Man
05-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know if there are other players still on the books and not on the team?

William Bartee.

What?

No way.

No freakin' way. You're wrong.

He can't be on the team. There are no stats recorded for him.

He can't be - huh? The current roster?

Oh, wow.