PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - May 19th

The Poz
05-19-2006, 04:05 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/05/19/qa_with_herm_edwardsmc4/

Q&A with HERM EDWARDS
May 19, 2006, 4:00:08 PM
HERM EDWARDS: “Today was the first day all of our starters have been inside the huddle together since the season ended. That’s really kind of interesting if you think about it. That’s why this period was very important to get them settled down, so that this afternoon they can understand what the tempo is going to be about and really get a good practice in this afternoon.”

Q: John Browning was out today. Has he decided if he’s going to play this year or is it in the air?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, he’s here and been around. I haven’t heard anything different.”

Q: Dante and Tony weren’t practicing today, what’s going on with those guys?

EDWARDS: “Dante has a sprained thumb and Tony’s foot is bothering him a little bit. Dante hurt his thumb the day before yesterday. So we’re just holding them back at this point.”

Q: Your impressions on Larry Johnson today in practice?

EDWARDS: “I don’t need impressions on him today. I’ve watched him in real football when he’s had pads on. There’s a bunch of guys that will make the all Shawnee Mission team, Blue Springs, whichever high school you like, they can make that team right now in shorts. One thing you realize when you go through these sessions between now and training camp is there will be a lot of players that can play well in helmets and shorts, but we play with pads on. That’s the change between training camp and the preseason. Some of these players, you evaluate how they pick up things, and how they are athletically. You can’t be too physical here. We don’t want physical practices. We believe in practice, when we don’t have pads on, with our feet and our hands. No shoulders, no tackling, no throwing guys down to the ground. It’s more of just going fast, being in position and when we get to camp the physical part will start. That’s when some guys get weeded out.”

Q: Is establishing the tempo your number one goal for this weekend?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, they kind of understand what the tempo is going to be about. We’ve talked about it. The thing they need to realize is that offensively we need to establish a tempo in and out of the huddle. This is a very, very productive offense and I’m trying to find a way we can get more plays. They averaged about 66 plays last year and we’d like to get in the 70’s. The way you do that is to get in and out of the huddle. If you can get in and out of the huddle very, very quickly it puts pressure on the defense. We have to do that. Obviously if we are winning at the game at the end, the clock will present a different situation and we won’t be as fast. I want to have the ability of our offense, because we shift and motion, we can present a lot of problems if our QB can stand over center with time on the clock to make decisions. The way you do that is to quickly get in and out of the huddle.”

Q: Is there a reason why you added another practice this morning?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, I realized earlier this week that the veteran guys haven’t been in the huddle together since the season was over with. I thought this was a good period for them to do some individual drills again and then get in a huddle as a team. They got in the huddle today and this afternoon they will be asked to repeat the plays they did today in a team environment.”

Q: Roaf wasn’t here, any particular reason?

EDWARDS: “Personal. He’s been here the last two day and he had a personal matter he needed to settle today.”

Q: Will Dante Hall be out for the weekend?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, it’s sprained so he’ll probably be out.”

Q: Were the players surprised today with the tempo of practice?

EDWARDS: “No, I think the veteran guys kind of understood. I think the younger guys who were here on Tuesday and Wednesday gave them the message. We had great tempo those two days and we moved around very fast in 7-on-7. Now we’ll put a whole practice together and see if they can keep that tempo up for a whole practice.”

Q: What do you want to accomplish this weekend?

EDWARDS: Basically the speed of practice and what we’re asking them to do from the classroom. I’m trying to evaluate guys on if they can take what they learn in the classroom and put it on the field. There’s a difference between listening and hearing. People who can hear can repeat what you do. When you just listen, you’re not as detailed. I want to make sure that what we teach them in the classroom we teach them on the grass in a tempo that they can learn it, and then we ask them to go fast. I think that if you can do things repeatedly then you’ve got a chance to be successful.”

Q: Have there been any young guys who have been pleasant surprises?

EDWARDS: “For the most part, it’s hard to evaluate them. I think today in the second practice you’ll get a better feel for them. The young guys have now been here for seven practices now, but what got them today, when you looked at the offense, a lot of shifting and motioning and now the guys are starting to think again. That’s always the trouble early and why we didn’t have a lot of shifts and motions in our first camp. Now we put those shifts and motions in, guys are thinking and they can’t move as fast. You’ve got to work through that, but I think once we get through this week, when we have 10 OTA’s, you’ll see players starting to rise up and play a little better because they’ll know what to do.”

Q: What are you going to do with the CB spot opposite Patrick Surtain?

EDWARDS: “There’s a rotation, obviously, and if you play right corner it doesn’t mean you can’t play left. We are just going to evaluate them day-to-day and you can’t worry about it now. There’s a lot of things that can happen between now and opening day.”

Q: How many guys are going to rotate through that spot with the #1 unit?

EDWARDS: “We can rotate them after a while and as we start to compete more in OTA’s that will probably happen. We’ll move some guys over there and see what happens.”

Q: What about rookie CB Marcus Maxey, will he be part of that mix?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, but right now he’s injured. That’s the shame of it because he’s missing time, but he’s been in the classroom learning it mentally. But he’s got to get back on the field.”

Q: Do you feel like you want Ty Law or need Ty Law?

EDWARDS: “I think at the end of the day, anytime you can get good players on your team that helps you. As a coach, you always want good players. But at the end of the day it has to be a good match between both parties, that being us and Ty Law. Right now that’s the least of my worries. I’m going to coach the guys who are here. I haven’t talked to Ty. I’m coaching the team that’s here and we’ve got some young corners here that I think can play.”

Q: Are the Chiefs interested in obtaining Michael Bennett from New Orleans?

EDWARDS: “I wasn’t involved in the conversation about Bennett. At this time of year there are a lot of people who call about players. We call about players. That’s what you do during the off-season. At this point he’s not here, we haven’t brought him in here, and we haven’t talked about him collectively as a group with the powers that be. There becomes a little bit of a rumor. All of a sudden you call some somebody or they call you and all of a sudden people get excited. We don’t need to get excited until one of these guys shows up on campus. The Chiefs players are the Chiefs players who are here right now and those are the guys that I am going to coach.”

Q: Is there a Priest Holmes update?

EDWARDS: “Right now if he had to play, he couldn’t play. He hasn’t passed the physical or whatever it may be.”

Q: What do you think about Saints RB Bennett as a player?

EDWARDS: “I think he’s a good player, but we’ve got good players here. I think sometimes we lose sight of the players that we have here. I’m going to coach the players that we have here and that are my obligation. Let’s get the players here to play up to their potential and play at a consistent level where we can be a playoff team.”

Q: When you took over you said you thought Priest Holmes would be back, can you still say that today?

EDWARDS: “I still feel that way. I could be wrong, but until he tells me anything different I’m planning on him being in there playing.”

Q: What do you think of your safety position right now?

EDWARDS: “We’ve got two veteran guys and another guy in (William) Bartee who has played a lot of football and I think that’s a good thing. I think we’ve got some young guys who have got some potential and I think a lot of people lost sight of that. I think everyone was concerned about the corner position, but I was more concerned about the safety position when I got here. When I looked at who was back there and we didn’t have a lot of depth at that position. Safety is a position where they’re in the box doing a lot of tackling and a lot of hitting. You lose one or two of those guys and then you’re asking a corner to go back and play safety and that’s never a good situation. I think we’ve upgraded ourselves there with some depth, with some young guys that have some ability and we’ve created competition which I think is important.”

Q: Would you say that the starting safeties from 2005 are entering as starters in 2006?

EDWARDS: “They’re starters until somebody beats them out. Those two guys, believe me, they’re not giving up that role. And that’s good, I don’t want them to. If someone is going to be a starter, then they have to earn it, it’s not something that’s going to be given to you. I think the guys that we have are two good safeties and with the guys who are backing them up, we’ve got great competition back there.”

Q: How about the offense centered around LJ this year?

EDWARDS: “The offense is the offense. The offense is centered around how you move the ball. As Hank Stram said a long time ago, ‘we need to matriculate the ball down the field.’ And how you do that is how you do it. Every week is different. Sometimes it’s running the ball more than you throw. Sometimes it’s passing more than you run and hopefully we run it more than we throw. If we can do that we’re controlling the clock, which is controlling the game and you’re not getting the QB killed.”

Q: What about Nick Reid from University of Kansas?

EDWARDS: “He’s getting better. I think he’s a full speed guy, which is good on defense because you’ve got to be able to play full speed. He’s a pretty knowledgeable guy, very smart, very coachable. He’s got the traits and he’s a tough guy. All those things help him. Now there are a lot of good linebackers here and he’s going to get and opportunity and that’s all you can ask for.”

ZootedGranny
05-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Q: Your impressions on Larry Johnson today in practice?

EDWARDS: “I don’t need impressions on him today. I’ve watched him in real football when he’s had pads on.

SONNED

I wish I could've seen the look on the reporter's face.

big nasty kcnut
05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Bye rich scanlon you silly bitch.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2006, 04:10 PM
And how you do that is how you do it.

ROFL

arrowheadnation
05-19-2006, 04:14 PM
There’s a lot of things that can happen between now and opening day.
Wish I had a dollar for every time this has been said in the past 2 years regarding Mr. Law.

FAX
05-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Had Dante Alighieri been tasked with diagramming Herm's responses there would, no doubt, have been a 10th circle of hell.

However, if I understand him correctly, I like the idea of getting the offense to the line sooner and allowing Trent to make decisions there.

FAX

CoMoChief
05-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Q: Would you say that the starting safeties from 2005 are entering as starters in 2006?

EDWARDS: “They’re starters until somebody beats them out."

God damnit I hope Wesley rides the pine this season.

Hydrae
05-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Had Dante Alighieri been tasked with diagramming Herm's responses there would, no doubt, have been a 10th circle of hell.

However, if I understand him correctly, I like the idea of getting the offense to the line sooner and allowing Trent to make decisions there.

FAX

What, let the veteran QB audible? :eek:

Q: Q: Is there a Priest Holmes update?

EDWARDS: “Right now if he had to play, he couldn’t play. He hasn’t passed the physical or whatever it may be.”

Did this bother anyone else? Seems to me like Herm doesn't even know what the situation is with Priest and probably doesn't even really care.

CoMoChief
05-19-2006, 04:37 PM
What, let the veteran QB audible? :eek:

Did this bother anyone else? Seems to me like Herm doesn't even know what the situation is with Priest and probably doesn't even really care.

No one in the Chiefs organization has even talked to Priest, what's he supposed to do?

morphius
05-19-2006, 04:42 PM
we can present a lot of problems if our QB can stand over center with time on the clock to make decisions.

Best line I have read all offseason!

TRR
05-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Dante Hall practices less than any player I've ever heard of. He ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS has some type of injury in both mini camp and training camp. I will guarantee you, Dante Hall will get hurt in training camp. Nothing serious, just a sprained ankle, and sprained wrist, turf toe...something. That guy is always missing practices.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Tony's foot is bothering him for about the 800th camp in a row. :rolleyes:

Chan93lx50
05-19-2006, 05:21 PM
"There’s a difference between listening and hearing. People who can hear can repeat what you do. When you just listen, you’re not as detailed."

I always thought it was the other way around, if you were listening you were understanding, and if you were just hearing you have no idea what was said.

CoMoChief
05-19-2006, 05:27 PM
"There’s a difference between listening and hearing. People who can hear can repeat what you do. When you just listen, you’re not as detailed."

I always thought it was the other way around, if you were listening you were understanding, and if you were just hearing you have no idea what was said.

Yeah I kinda thought that too. Although the important thing is the principle of the matter.

HemiEd
05-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Q: Is establishing the tempo your number one goal for this weekend?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, they kind of understand what the tempo is going to be about. We’ve talked about it. The thing they need to realize is that offensively we need to establish a tempo in and out of the huddle. This is a very, very productive offense and I’m trying to find a way we can get more plays. They averaged about 66 plays last year and we’d like to get in the 70’s. The way you do that is to get in and out of the huddle. If you can get in and out of the huddle very, very quickly it puts pressure on the defense. We have to do that. Obviously if we are winning at the game at the end, the clock will present a different situation and we won’t be as fast. I want to have the ability of our offense, because we shift and motion, we can present a lot of problems if our QB can stand over center with time on the clock to make decisions. The way you do that is to quickly get in and out of the huddle.”

I feel very good about our fourth round draft choice now. I think this was the offenses biggest weekness.

brent102fire
05-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Now I'm confused...so has Herm talked with Ty Law or Not? In earlier interviews he stated he has kept in contact with Ty. In this interview, he stated he has not talked with him. WTF? :shake: :shrug:

Tribesman
05-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Tony's foot is bothering him for about the 800th camp in a row. :rolleyes:

I know Tony's production has dropped off a bit but he's going to be sorely missed whenever he decides to hang 'em up.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2006, 07:04 PM
I know Tony's production has dropped off a bit but he's going to be sorely missed whenever he decides to hang 'em up.

I wasn't saying that...in fact, he was underused last year. He always is lazy during preseason though.

HemiEd
05-19-2006, 07:06 PM
I wasn't saying that...in fact, he was underused last year. He always is lazy during preseason though.

agreed

Tribesman
05-19-2006, 07:07 PM

I know you weren't, I was just adding the fact that his future absence will be felt. To what degree only time will tell, and will depend on who his replacement will be.

milkman
05-19-2006, 07:29 PM
I feel very good about our fourth round draft choice now. I think this was the offenses biggest weekness.

Sounds good, huh?

Seems to me that Gunt had the same plan of getting in and out of the huddle fast back in '98.

I would still have preferred to hire Rod Marinelli, or Greg Williams, or someone else, and have kept that 4th round pick.

milkman
05-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Dante Hall practices less than any player I've ever heard of. He ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS has some type of injury in both mini camp and training camp. I will guarantee you, Dante Hall will get hurt in training camp. Nothing serious, just a sprained ankle, and sprained wrist, turf toe...something. That guy is always missing practices.

I believe he practices more than Tony Gonzales.

TRR
05-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I believe he practices more than Tony Gonzales.

That's a tough one. I'd say mini-camp, Dante practices more. Training camp, I think Tony practices more. They both will miss at least a week of Training Camp, if not more.

MikeTheWildcat
05-19-2006, 08:35 PM

I don't know if Priest is going to be able to play again. It's taking a long time to get over his injury. Who is going to back up LJ and give him a rest this year?

milkman
05-19-2006, 09:05 PM

I don't know if Priest is going to be able to play again. It's taking a long time to get over his injury. Who is going to back up LJ and give him a rest this year?

The mighty Quintin Griffen, of course.

MikeTheWildcat
05-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Q: Is there a Priest Holmes update?

The mighty Quintin Griffen, of course.

That really give me a warm and fuzzy....NOT!

KCChiefsMan
05-19-2006, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=Chan93lx50]"There’s a difference between listening and hearing. "QUOTE]

you don't listen to Jimmy...you have to hear Jimmy

bringbackmarty
05-20-2006, 12:08 AM

FAX
Triple edged sword.
I kind of think the audible and protection thing is part of it, but also it installs this tempo thing he keeps referring to, as well as his mention of the defensive imbalance it creates. Trouble is if you get in and out of the huddle too quick, you aren't really controlling the clock, are you? It's more important to get from the sideline to the huddle and tthen to the los as quickly as possible.

HemiEd
05-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Sounds good, huh?

Seems to me that Gunt had the same plan of getting in and out of the huddle fast back in '98.

Good Memory Milkman. So you are saying that these defensive head coaches say this because they do not know what else to say about the offense?
I did not like the hire either, but as usual trying to accept it.
IMO Grbac had no chance of doing it better since he was going to panick anyway. But, I think Trent should fare better.

milkman
05-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Good Memory Milkman. So you are saying that these defensive head coaches say this because they do not know what else to say about the offense?

What I'm saying is that everyone is getting excited over nothing.
Nothing that these HCs say at this point in time really means a damn thing.
They are just talking so that we, the fan, can hear them talk.

IMO Grbac had no chance of doing it better since he was going to panick anyway. But, I think Trent should fare better.

No doubt, this team is in a much better position to see offensive plans executed properly because of Trent.

milkman
05-20-2006, 12:49 PM

Oh, and BTW, it's a rare occasion that someone accuses me of a good memory.